• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pearl Jam's new album revives the spirit of Grunge.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
ee6a2c34c79eace3b7fee3ff2545f664.jpg

Gp1

Fuck it I'm in.

I enjoy even their "recent" phase with Lighting bolt, Vedder's ukulele, clairvoyants, etc.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
A new Pearl Jam album makes sense everyone knows they’re important to music and rock and roll history.

Mike Mccready GIF by Pearl Jam

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I loved grunge as a wee lad but I don't feel like going back to dark angry music. I don't want to lose heart. I want to believe as he does.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Craziest Eddie Vedder moment ever probably...

Pejo

I'm still waiting for 4th wave ska or a ska revival. I only have enough room for one underappreciated genre of music in my heart.

Is there a young band that has taken the torch of rock and added something new yet? It feels like Rock got buried by the mainstream and make it as difficult as possible to find the next quality group.

Scotty W

Pearl Jam is never coming back. They are a spent force. An album of songs about Donald Trump is not going to change anything.

wondermega

I truly havent enjoyed an entire album of theirs since Yield. Once were one of my favs too. Vitalogy and No Code 🙌
Yeah that is the last album I gave any listening to. I should dig it up, it wasn't bad! As for this new one... meh.. well if they have any songs approaching the ferocity of "State of Love & Trust" then I will be all the way in, that song still burns a fire in the deepest pits of my soul (along with some of the other songs on that amazing Singles soundtrack).

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Extremely well known wealthy old men singing grunge these days does not carry the heat of their original stuff in my opinion. It would be like 50 cent coming out with a new album all about how hard it is on the streets or how he is the king of the hood. He is a middle-aged multi-millionaire living in a gated community. It just doesn't track. The idea of someone like Pearl Jam despite all their success trying to make a new album centered around what make "grunge" music what it is just doesn't make sense to me.

Bands come and go. Some things are like lighting caught in a bottle frozen in time. Its okay to let things lie. Not everything and everyone needs to be relevant forever.

wondermega

Extremely well known wealthy old men singing grunge these days does not carry the heat of their original stuff in my opinion. It would be like 50 cent coming out with a new album all about how hard it is on the streets or how he is the king of the hood. He is a middle-aged multi-millionaire living in a gated community. It just doesn't track. The idea of someone like Pearl Jam despite all their success trying to make a new album centered around what make "grunge" music what it is just doesn't make sense to me.

Bands come and go. Some things are like lighting caught in a bottle frozen in time. Its okay to let things lie. Not everything and everyone needs to be relevant forever.
Hard to know. I haven't listened to Alice in Chains, but I suspect if they were still around in their previous incarnation, they could still have carried some weight. I haven't given their new singer a chance (I did see them perform with him once, they actually sounded great!) but supposedly the people who have stayed along for the ride, seem pretty happy, considering. And I have a sense that had Soundgarden not suffered the tragedy of their singer dying, that they would have maintained relevance far longer as well.

It's an interesting question actually. A lot of previous styles/fashions have come around again, as they do - what's to say grunge couldn't resurface, it's been long enough! I cannot say I terribly want it to, but seeing how much reverence it gets on reddit, I can see that it is still a relevant style. I have heard of worse things happening I suppose.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I get you. My life is good too. But I do miss the pit.
Shit the first time I ever experienced a mosh pit I was like wtf ? What are they doing. Looks fun.. let me just walk into it. Maybes it’s like swimming I will be eased I to it. Oh shit I’m being pushed around wait someone. bounced Into me Oh ok let’s bounce back shit this is fun!!!!.

No one actually hit each other no fights etc when the lights come up you see a lot of sweaty people with smile on their faces.

Last edited:

wondermega

Shit the first time I ever experienced a mosh pit I was like wtf ? What are they doing. Looks fun.. let me just walk into it. Maybes it’s like swimming I will be eased I to it. Oh shit I’m being pushed around wait someone. bounced Into me Oh ok let’s bounce back shit this is fun!!!!.

No one actually hit each other no fights etc when the lights come up you see a lot of sweaty people with smile on their faces.
Yeah I remember this too. Mosh pits were this crazy frenzy, you felt like you were just getting absorbed up into the spirit of the crowd and music. And of course there was crowd surfing - I must have been 18 or 19, Smashing Pumpkins show in SUNY Albany. I had never really been to a show like that before. Not sure what came over me, just got swept up in the mania and decided to go for a ride! It was a crazy feeling, being passed over the the heads of countless people, then the security guard grabbed me at the base of the stage and let me rejoin the crowd from the back. I did this a few times, but yeah.. sometimes you got dropped, and that shit kinda hurt all over your entire body.

Pushing 50, no way I am entertaining doing anything like that ever again! That's just asking for a trip to the hospital.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Yeah I remember this too. Mosh pits were this crazy frenzy, you felt like you were just getting absorbed up into the spirit of the crowd and music. And of course there was crowd surfing - I must have been 18 or 19, Smashing Pumpkins show in SUNY Albany. I had never really been to a show like that before. Not sure what came over me, just got swept up in the mania and decided to go for a ride! It was a crazy feeling, being passed over the the heads of countless people, then the security guard grabbed me at the base of the stage and let me rejoin the crowd from the back. I did this a few times, but yeah.. sometimes you got dropped, and that shit kinda hurt all over your entire body.

Pushing 50, no way I am entertaining doing anything like that ever again! That's just asking for a trip to the hospital.
Lol I’m in the same boat.

I remember I did try stage diving. It was at a nirvana tribute act in London. I dont think i signalled the crowd enough. I saw someone else do it. Thought this looks awesome. So went to the stage. Climbed up I turned to face the crowd. Didn’t wave my hands etc. then I think if I remember I lept into the people who looked up and went fuck this they all parted and I hit the floor. Hahahahajahha

wondermega

I remember I did try stage diving. It was at a nirvana tribute act in London. I dont think i signalled the crowd enough. I saw someone else do it. Thought this looks awesome. So went to the stage. Climbed up I turned to face the crowd. Didn’t wave my hands etc. then I think if I remember I lept into the people who looked up and went fuck this they all parted and I hit the floor. Hahahahajahha
Ouch!!! I hope the floor was soft!

Ownage

That was a good pit.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day

There were mosh pits at grunge shows? Lol

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Anywhere they was a fast guitar. It wouldn’t be a mosh pit where people would punch each other. More like bounce into each other.
Ah, I see my younger brother was into hardcore as kids minor threat, black flag, suicidal tendencies etc. I went a to few shows with him those pits were crazy. Grunge pits in my mind seem like singing kumbaya. Granted I was very meh on grunge so I wouldn't know. I avoided that scene like the plague.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
No doubt it'll be another overly loud, poorly produced modern rock effort.

Andrew Watt is producing and hes pretty damn good. Did a bang up job on the newest Stone's record.

Brendan O'Brien must've been busy. He's their go to.

Last edited:

Muffdraul

Anywhere they was a fast guitar. It wouldn’t be a mosh pit where people would punch each other. More like bounce into each other.
When I went to see Social Distortion open for Jesus and the Mary Chain, there was a pit during JMC. That was the moment I realized, 'Jesus Christ, they'll start a pit for literally anybody nowadays.' According to google, that was Dec 1987. I was 18 and had been going to gigs since I was 13.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I remember Eddie twacked out on heroin climbing the lighting rig using his microphone cable.

My back hurts.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I really have no interest in seeing these dinosaurs trying to keep doing this. It's very rare that an old artist can capture even a flicker of what they did when they were young. The Bob Dylan album from the late 1990s is one rare exception, although even that was 25 years ago at this point and he's still at it. The Metallica albums of the past two decades are mostly embarrassing. I say this as a person who is of the age group that this stuff was made for.

I subscribe to Guitar World magazine and they put the dinosaurs on the cover and in the feature articles. Sometimes they have a new album to sell and it's usually terrible and at best a weak retread of what they did 30-40 years ago. But then they feature young people in the pages and when I listen to that stuff it's a lot more interesting. Rock is a young person's game.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I really have no interest in seeing these dinosaurs trying to keep doing this. It's very rare that an old artist can capture even a flicker of what they did when they were young. The Bob Dylan album from the late 1990s is one rare exception, although even that was 25 years ago at this point and he's still at it. The Metallica albums of the past two decades are mostly embarrassing. I say this as a person who is of the age group that this stuff was made for.

I subscribe to Guitar World magazine and they put the dinosaurs on the cover and in the feature articles. Sometimes they have a new album to sell and it's usually terrible and at best a weak retread of what they did 30-40 years ago. But then they feature young people in the pages and when I listen to that stuff it's a lot more interesting. Rock is a young person's game.

Pretty much my thoughts as well. What Im reading about this "return to roots" type sound PJ is doing reminds me a lot of Metallica's attempt at resuscitating their "old sound" post St Anger. It makes me think that it'll be an album that'll sound like they're trying a little too hard. Like they're gonna put out riffs that they feel their audience wants to hear rather than riffs that they would think would be good enough to be on a record. Like instead of progressing with the natural course, they're going to pretend its 1991 again (which its not) and they're going to try to recreate something that just doesnt exist anymore.

Top Bottom