• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People are sanding down their glossy black consoles

Rolodzeo

this thread reminds me of the days when people were painting their DS and we got this masterpiece. the whole scratch the shit out of your console is right on par imo.

BaAByR7.jpg

Wow.

I mean... wow.

Also, poor MacBook :(

I would love to repaint my Wii U so that it's matte, but unless I had the skills to make it look just like my XL, I'm too afraid to do it and fuck it up.
Should have gotten white anyway.

I have a DeLorean so graining is a part of life.

When done right, the outcome would look nice on a console.

However, I foresee a lot people grabbing anything gritty and sanding down rather than creating and then going with the grain instead of a back and forth motion.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Is scratches that big of problem? Where people doing with their consoles?
I constantly move all kinds of gaming hardware in and out of the house for tournaments, and sometimes between my couch setup and my stream setup.

My Wii U is a hopeless, fingerprint-laden eyesore.

Glossy consoles are vile. Glossy controllers and handhelds are stupefying.

If you don't like the color or finish of your console, you can do what I (and other normal people) did and skin it.

Cost way less and you can take it off if you don't like the look of it anymore.

Here's a few pics of my PS4:

FESFpXDl.jpg

iTDp1Oul.jpg

FBDprm9l.jpg

UFxaHnBl.jpg

(as you can see, I'm a huge broncos fan :p)

Jezan

Do people do things with their consoles that I am not aware of?

Personally I put my console in the tv stand and that is where it stays.

How is it "impossible" to not scratch glossy plastic?
When cleaning them if you are not careful you can scratch the,

In before: Dusty consoles

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Someone requested my deglossed DS lite.

i6JAsM8Y24BaN.JPG

The other pictures don't really matter since it was just a long process of scrubbing away the glossy layer. In the end I also only did a basic wipe off, not with a damp cloth, so there was some leftover dust that made it seem to some like there was scratches still. Really it ended up more like the matte black 3DS XL I have now except with more rounded texture to it than something perfectly smooth. Like my white 360 controller except black. It looked good enough that my sister eventually bought it off me.

As for the process in this thread, I don't think it's a good idea. I think scratched plastic always looks like scratched plastic. The XBone there is a perfect example of looking awful. Also if you are going to do it, Scotch-Brite is probably not what you want to use. I feel my methods were fine because I was going for a complete removal of the entire glossy layer, but even then it took too much work and wet sandpaper would have been better. I'm not sure what would be best for intentional streaks like this, but there has to be something better.

Edit - Correction: Like my XBone controller.

I actually haven't been playing games enough since getting it to be familiar with its texture, lol. However, it is just how the DS turned out visually, only handling sweat from hands differently.

boltz

Love the overreactions to this, as if the OP was asking about skinning a dog, but that's what I love about this place :)

People do some crazy stuff in the name of customizing appearance (go look at some car forums) and this is pretty tame. I think if it's done right it looks pretty cool.

v0yce

Product designers who design products with glossy plastic surfaces deserve scorn, not pity.

Scorn them because people can't properly clean their greasy hands and their devices. You poor souls.

I use this all day, every day. Glorious like the sun.

018_safari_FH_eng.jpg

i6JAsM8Y24BaN.JPG

The other pictures don't really matter since it was just a long process of scrubbing away the glossy layer. In the end I also only did a basic wipe off, not with a damp cloth, so there was some leftover dust that made it seem to some like there was scratches still. Really it ended up more like the matte black 3DS XL I have now except with more rounded texture to it than something perfectly smooth. Like my white 360 controller except black. It looked good enough that my sister eventually bought it off me.

As for the process in this thread, I don't think it's a good idea. I think scratched plastic always looks like scratched plastic. The XBone there is a perfect example of looking awful. Also if you are going to do it, Scotch-Brite is probably not what you want to use. I feel my methods were fine because I was going for a complete removal of the entire glossy layer, but even then it took too much work and wet sandpaper would have been better. I'm not sure what would be best for intentional streaks like this, but there has to be something better.

Thanks for the input, Dice, I was really curious about how yours turned out in the end.

Somebody did it on PS4

Look's cool

Yep. Did it to the headset too. Looks real cool.

That glossy part is going to get scratched anyway, and I figure it wouldnt be hard to replace since it literally is a shell for the HDD.

I'd try this if I wasn't so unsure of my capabilities.

Totally unphased by this. Dude came into a place I worked to sell a PS3 covered in shrooms, swatzitkas and the text, "Krazy Kracker Karl" all drawn in pink and baby blue puff paint.

Really wish I had taken a picture.

wanders

i6JAsM8Y24BaN.JPG

Edit - Correction: Like my XBone controller.

I actually haven't been playing games enough since getting it to be familiar with its texture, lol. However, it is just how the DS turned out visually, only handling sweat from hands differently.

This is so sexy

If you were to do it again what would you have done differently?

I scotch brited then sprayed a matte finish on an already messed up DSL and it came out decently but not as good as yours. What should I buy?

jblank83

I took ultra-fine sandpaper to my Wii U Pro controller. It looks scratched and I don't even care.

1. It feels better. Glossy surface sucks for controllers.
2. It looks better. Even scratched, it's better than staring at a billion oily smudges. You can't stop this by washing your hands. Skin exudes oil and moisture naturally.

The console itself was already getting large, ugly, swirling scratches on it from the most minor contact. I tried to sand it but it didn't look good, so I bought a "carbon fiber" skin for it.

Eff black glossy plastic. Eff it in its stupid face.

zma1013

I'd prefer them all to be matte. The back of the Wii U Gamepad and Pro control is perfect, but the glossy front looks atrocious after a couple hours of play. Fingerprints and smears all over the thing that aren't on the matte side at all.

br3wnor

YRunztu.gif

I'm so uncomfortable. This video has been circulating the web, which shows viewers how to "sand down" their glossy black plastic devices to give it a more premium look. This involves stripping off the top layer of clear coat by essentially scratching stuff to fuck using Scotch-Brite.
Examples:

This has such potential to go disastrously wrong. I mean look at this:

YRunztu.gif

Mods pls take away my Scotch-Brite if old

Honestly the MacBook looks kinda cool

Top Bottom