• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People of the Year: Phil Spencer - GamesIndustry.biz

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-12-17-people-of-the-year-phil-spencer

Cold hard numbers will tell you that 2018 was not the start of the Xbox comeback.

There were some good games, certainly. And Xbox One X established itself as a great console.

But whether you're looking at Metacritic or the sales charts, the last 12 months has proceeded in much the same as the previous four years -- a generation entirely dominated by PlayStation.

Yet here we are, days away from bidding farewell to 2018, and it's Phil Spencer -- the leader of Microsoft's gaming business -- who is among our people of the year. Because the numbers hide the fact that this was a year where Xbox changed the rhetoric around its business. It was only a few years ago when Microsoft was closing studios and its hardware was suffering unfavourable comparisons to the competition. Xbox, so the story went, was out of touch and out of ideas.

Now, at the close of 2018, opinions are beginning to shift.

Check the link for the full story.

Humdinger

Phil is a good, likeable CEO, and he has more charisma than the other figureheads. He also communicates a kind of happy enthusiasm for his brand, whereas the others are more subdued (Layden) or just speak predictable marketing language (Reggie). I saw it at the Game Awards, where he was the first to draw applause.

Well deserved, and seems to be the perfect person for the job. Between him and Satya I think Xbox is in good hands.

You CAN be forward thinking, innovative, non-restrictive, AND profitable. Wins for all involved.

Drewpee

Banned
Very much deserved. He has single handedly guided the Xbox brand back onto smooth water. Not only are they surving but thriving and looking to change industry norms next gen. Microsoft better thank it's lucky stars that he was waiting in the wings to clean up the dumpster fire that started this gen.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
This is the T-shirt guy that comes off as a marketing schmuck?

This is the T-shirt guy that comes off as a marketing schmuck?

Naw, that's Shawn Layden...

crash1.jpg

Phil doesn't come across to me as a typical CEO. He rambles on about products and makes promises left and right as part of his job, but in on-the-spot interviews you can tell he actually gives a shit how his teams are doing. He'll be sitting in an interview with a couple in-house guys and get interrupted by an excited dev in the middle of talking, smile, and let the dev talk. You have to remember, the guy has been with the company for pretty much his whole career. He's building a game division where his old friends all still work, I really don't think he wants to let them down.

Last edited:
Phil doesn't come across to me as a typical CEO. He rambles on about products and makes promises left and right as part of his job, but in on-the-spot interviews you can tell he actually gives a shit how his teams are doing. He'll be sitting in an interview with a couple in-house guys and get interrupted by an excited dev in the middle of talking, smile, and let the dev talk. You have to remember, the guy has been with the company for pretty much his whole career. He's building a game division where his old friends all still work, I really don't think he wants to let them down.

His E3 Bombcast or whatever interviews every year & IGN pieces are always good and insightful.. and he always comes across as really enjoying the gaming world.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Phil on that, "like a boss!" mode. My guy has really turned things around for the brand. Next gen should be a mutha******

bitbydeath

Phil is a good, likeable CEO, and he has more charisma than the other figureheads. He also communicates a kind of happy enthusiasm for his brand, whereas the others are more subdued (Layden) or just speak predictable marketing language (Reggie). I saw it at the Game Awards, where he was the first to draw applause.

But can he pull off a onesie!

images

#TheRealQuestions

Top Bottom