• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People warring in the Wikipedia 'Yasuke' page over Assassin's Creed Shadows Protagonist

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Honestly, this has got Millennial written all over it.
It's millenials the ones pushing that shit tho..
giphy.gif

I can't argue with that 😞

Portugeezer

This game suffers from clear DEI nonsense, once developers found out there was a black person in fuedal Japan I'm sure they all started salivating and jumped at the opportunity.

But bickering over this AC game is tiring at this point. If the game is good, people will play it.

I enjoy AC games mainly for the world and historic locations, which I'm sure will be amazing for the next gen consoles.

RavageX

I find it sad that this is even an issue. Sad that this type of thing is an issue in this day and age. A sad thing that a means of entertainment ends up with this kind of nonsense going on.

nial

The main issue I take with this, is how they finally make an AC game about Japan and they pick a nobody, non-japanese as the main character.
While I think it's a reasonable stance, with the way we're going, no one will be allowed to make a game set in Japan starring Yasuke without culture warriors shitting all over it on Twitter and YouTube.
And I'm not even interested in the title, btw (it's AC and Ubisoft, the publisher's horrible practices).

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I wish to god that they made the eagle in this one BLACK as well! 🤣🤣 I buy the next 4 AC games no matter what if they do that! 🤣🤣

Honestly, you know what would have probably solved this controversy? Maybe a character creation mode perhaps? That way you can create basically any type of character you want.

Fredrik

OJTdPTv.png

But replace religion with whatever the fuck this is.
Replace? Haven’t you seen Shogun? The black guy is either going to slay christians left and right or be a christian, Ubi won’t pass on free PR from including such a heated subject from this era.

NoobSmog

Make ghost set in city not some crappy villages better Parkour, better combat, way more enemy variety then maybe ac outshines ghost in every way ac shadows probably going to eat got alive
Do you work for ubisoft? Just randomly decided to check your post history for whatever reason and every single one of your posts is about ubisoft games :messenger_grinning_sweat: . Just don't think i've ever seen a ubisoft stan before, it's fine if you are though!

Boss Mog

How many of the people doing the editing are actually Japanese, or at least historians who specialize in Japanese history? My guess is none, just a bunch of woke activists with nothing better to do.

blue velvet

Let's be honest here, the reason why rich corporate retards from Ubisoft are doing this is because they see Japan as an oppressive and traditional country and needs to be culturally enriched. They know exactly what they are doing, this is an obvious bait, make a black character and if people oppose it, accuse them of being racist. The far-left biggest weapon has always been gaslighting and historical revisionism since violent revolution doesn't work any longer, it's a psychological control. These multi billion corporation and western developers are filled with Maoists and Marxists regardless of how ironic that is.
jeiRSvE.jpeg

Barakov

Let's be honest here, the reason why rich corporate retards from Ubisoft are doing this is because they see Japan as an oppressive and traditional country and needs to be culturally enriched. They know exactly what they are doing, this is an obvious bait, make a black character and if people oppose it, accuse them of being racist. The far-left biggest weapon has always been gaslighting and historical revisionism since violent revolution doesn't work any longer, it's a psychological control. These multi billion corporation and western developers are filled with Maoists and Marxists regardless of how ironic that is.
jeiRSvE.jpeg
True. Also seems like social media engagement is the goal as well. That's why there's been a push to funnel everyone into two or three social media apps. When people are talking about your game, whether it's good or bad, that's a win in their book.

How many of the people doing the editing are actually Japanese, or at least historians who specialize in Japanese history? My guess is none, just a bunch of woke activists with nothing better to do.

The developer on the trailer said that the attraction of the main character is that he will be new to feudal Japan - just like the player. I suspect this will allow the opportunity for plenty of locals staring and trying to touch his hair… and then learning to be better. It will also allow the opportunity for a bit of eye rolling at the ways of feudal Japan and meta humour.

mdkirby

Asian erasure has been an ongoing problem in Hollywood for over a century. It's not new news at all. Netflix literally replaced the entirely Chinese cast of the Chinese science fiction novel The Three Body Problem written by Chinese author Liu Cixin with a bunch of white and black people for their TV series. This is normal for Hollywood, they have always been super racist against Asians

The problem with replacing an Asian man with a black man in AC Shadows isn't that the replacement is black. It's that they replaced an Asian
This

blue velvet

True. Also seems like social media engagement is the goal as well. That's why there's been a push to funnel everyone into two or three social media apps. When people are talking about your game, whether it's good or bad, that's a win in their book.
Yes, the problem here isn't even about having black people in videogames which shouldn't be an issue in the first place but these corporations weaponizing them for cultural and racial divide. These rich fucks do not care about poc at all.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Wait- I haven’t cared about this franchise in like 15 years but they really made the protagonist black in Japan and called it “Shadows”…?

Fellas…

mdkirby

Asian erasure has been an ongoing problem in Hollywood for over a century. It's not new news at all. Netflix literally replaced the entirely Chinese cast of the Chinese science fiction novel The Three Body Problem written by Chinese author Liu Cixin with a bunch of white and black people for their TV series. This is normal for Hollywood, they have always been super racist against Asians

The problem with replacing an Asian man with a black man in AC Shadows isn't that the replacement is black. It's that they replaced an Asian
It does make me wonder as to just who all these DEI departments are staffed with. Because they certainly don’t seem to push for actually diversity and representation across the board, just seems laser focussed on mostly black and LGBT demographics, to the detriment of others.
Would love to see a demographic analysis. It also often irritates me that despite all the supposed progress, as an underweight white male geek, I don’t think I can remember the last time I felt represented by a leading role. They still all look models or Hercules or grizzled outdoorsy man. Not that I would want to play as me, that’s not the point of gaming 🤣

Random tangent…There was an interesting study I read tho, related to how Lego finally cracked the market for girls. It was that they discovered a major difference in the way males and females play. Males want to become/embody the character, ie they want to BE Batman, where as girls do not, they want to make Batman more like them, ie make him do the things and look the way they do, they’ll take him on dates with princess peach and play house etc. this allowed Lego to make a range that facilitated those inate and unique ways of gendered play, and succeed. I have a feeling a lot of what we’re seeing now is the impact of developers trying to simultaneously appeal to both genders ways of play, and the incompatibility of those methods causing friction and poor design choices, resulting in overall shitter games (and more costly development)

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I think it's a comparison to knights and medieval Europe.

In medieval Europe (the west) all knights were retainers, but not all retainers were knights.

Darn.
I've been learning more overseas history in these threads than ive learnt in the last like 10 years or something.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Let me tell you something... there are also no real historical (religious source is not historical) sources of Jesus existing....
It kinda really doesn't matter. I am tired of these dramas with each new game.
Yeah he is a samurai whatever. I am kinda interested because it's not just simple usual samurai game they could make
This is a perfect opportunity for you to go war in the Wikipedia article that says that Jesus did exist.

Last edited:

SaintALia

Remember kids, Asians are just White people with exotic eyes. I for one welcome my new white rice brethren to the Caucasian census.

That's one way to twist a man's words. The dude clearly said that there are lots of games out there with white males, not a lot of games out there with white males in Japan or too many games with Asian males in Japan.

But ngl, I'd rather this black dude in Japan than the 500 millionth Japanese samurai game. At least this is a story not done in videogames from what I can remember, getting a fairly unique story perspective. Yeah, it's another story about the Sengoku period and Nobunaga, but it's something at least.
Yes, the problem here isn't even about having black people in videogames which shouldn't be an issue in the first place but these corporations weaponizing them for cultural and racial divide. These rich fucks do not care about poc at all.
Corporations have always done this since they've existed. What people don't seem to get, is that why you mob up and fight against it, you automatically become the 'villains', and them, the 'heroes'. Any legit grievances get thrown in with the actual racists/feminists etc. If whatever social movement they get behind becomes unfavourable in public opinion, or it's not 'fashionable' anymore from a marketing perspective, it gets dropped anyway.

In this case though, I doubt that's the case at all. It's a 'fresh' perspective on Japan. Chadwick Boseman, before his death was lined up to play him and a few other projects were underway at the time as well(that Yasuke anime came out a year after Boseman's death iirc, don't know if the other movie projects came to anything), I'm guessing that's around the time for this game coming into being as well. It's a Western dev tackling an Eastern game, so it probably seemed as a good way to do Japan Creed. And they've been doing the male/female thing for a while now, so a female Ninja would make a logical choice.

I know lots of people like to cry 'woke' for a lot of stuff these days, but this seems pretty straightforward to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom