• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People Who Walk/Exist In Public While Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's in the vapor?
Propylene Glycol or Vegetable Glycol/Glycerin mixed with what I assume is food flavorings?? and the payload of liquid nicotine.

As mentioned, other contaminates may or may not be present based on a number of variables.

The PG & VG are supposed to be safe when vaporized. Not sure about the rest but it's cleaner than smoking (mostly). Obviously long term effects, if any, cannot be measured yet.

I had a relapse onto cigs last year and used the vape to get clean - felt equally hard for me to get off the vape as it did when I originally quit smoking. But I have an addictive streak, YMMV.

Never used to blow vapour in people's vicinity, but I felt like I was futuresmoking, like steampunk/cyberpunk. Felt cool. Yes, I am sad.

TI82

Banned
As a guy who vapes I find it hilarious that some folks are so passionate about how much they hate it. I was standing alone outside of a shopping complex and some cats across the street were yelling, "WE GET IT, YOU VAPE!!". I looked at them puzzled, realized how ridiculous it was that they were screaming at me and I started laughing uncontrollably. I understand that vape culture is a thing but the amount of anti-vape blow back is funny. It's almost its own little hate group.

The amount of people I know who attack others for vaping and calling it "sucking a robot penis" is too high. These same people tend to also smoke regular cigarettes too which are so much worse for you lol

I have been vaping weed at home since the Volcano Vaporizer came out. This vape culture was always so weird to me because they co opted something I was already doing for years. When I spoke to people about it back then vaping meant weed. It really exploded with these portable devices to sate nicotine addiction.

giphy.gif

Teletraan1

Banned
You can vape weed?!?!?
giphy.gif

I have been vaping weed at home since the Volcano Vaporizer came out. This vape culture was always so weird to me because they co opted something I was already doing for years. When I spoke to people about it back then vaping meant weed. It really exploded with these portable devices to sate nicotine addiction.

jaypah

The amount of people I know who attack others for vaping and calling it "sucking a robot penis" is too high. These same people tend to also smoke regular cigarettes too which are so much worse for you lol

The robot dick joke was funny the first time. Now it's about as funny as walking up to a person with dreadlocks and saying, "Ay Mon!"

Yeah I remember when it was only a weed thing too. My first nicotine vape was way later in 2009. They didn't sell them in stores then so we ordered them online. It came with pre-juiced cylinders that you screwed into the heating part. It was shaped like a cig. I didn't see a big vape until 2013 and that shit blew my mind. Now I have a half-palm sized one now but it's nothing special.

TI82

Banned
The robot dick joke was funny the first time. Now it's about as funny as walking up to a person with dreadlocks and saying, "Ay Mon!"

I still hear it from the kind of people you'd expect to be saying it. I just don't understand people who smoke cigarettes deriding others from doing the safer alternative to try and quit or even to just live better.

Plus vaping smells so much better that I don't care at all.

Weston

It was kind of stupid for so many places to get rid of smoking areas. I was at a University when they went smoke-free. Which meant all the smokers had to walk out onto the busy public sidewalks in order to smoke. It wasn't an issue when they had a separate area but it was annoying to have groups standing in the sidewalks when you're trying to get to class.

Z..

Is this post serious? Oo

On topic though, the Volcano is one of the purchases I most regret. Vaping is the exact same as smoking from a bong for me except the body high isn't as good. Don't get the point. I end up using the Volcano more than the bong more often than not because it's already set up and ready to go in about 2 mins but meh.
And the weed doesn't even last longer like some like to proclaim. It's a neat alternative for people who really dislike the smoke's harsh throat sensation but hardly worth the price of admission at all...

I'm happy for people who vape that want to cut down on nicotine and cigarettes by doing so. What I'm not happy about is some vapists who choose to do so while walking in front of me, very close to building entryways, and inside enclosed spaces like public transit.

People do the same thing while smoking cigarettes, unfortunately.

Also, "Vapists" is a great term.

Pokemaniac

I don't care what kind of smoke or smoke-like substance that you're inhaling, it all bothers my (mildly asthmatic) lungs the same. People who smoke anything in public places are scum.

I think the main problem is the amount of vapor released.

But end of the day, it doesn't stink up my clothes, those same grimy dudes clowning me for vaping are no longer bumming a light or a cigarette of me. I can't vape in my house, don't have to stand in the cold, not sucking down all those nasty chemicals in a cigarette and I vape at 0% nicotine. So it's like.....Whatever. I don't do it to look cool, I do it because I been smoking since I was young, blazing weed since I was young, I have this fixation with blowing clouds out my mouth since I was 15.

Mortemis

Banned
Unless someone is tryna start a fight and blowing clouds right into your face, I don't see the big deal.

I don't even see many vapers anymore, I thought it died down.

jaypah

I think the main problem is the amount of vapor released.

But end of the day, it doesn't stink up my clothes, those same grimy dudes clowning me for vaping are no longer bumming a light or a cigarette of me. I can't vape in my house, don't have to stand in the cold, not sucking down all those nasty chemicals in a cigarette and I vape at 0% nicotine. So it's like.....Whatever. I don't do it to look cool, I do it because I been smoking since I was young, blazing weed since I was young, I have this fixation with blowing clouds out my mouth since I was 15.

Ha, same. Started when I was 14 or so but at 34 the cigs were making me feel awful but I loved the act of smoking. Started vaping the small cig shaped vape and when it broke I went back to cigs. A few years later they started selling the pen kits. Got one of those and started picking juices and I liked it enough to quit the cigs. Now I have a regular iStick and like vaping liked I liked smoking.

Trickster

Getting a whiff of vape in my face is much less unpleasant than just the smog and smell from cars. So for me this is really quite the non issue, not to mention seeing random people vaping right next to me on the street is something I don't think I've ever had happen to me.

If I vape in public, I'm not going any closer to the door than smokers do. Never inside -- at the very least, smoke alarms are laser-tripped, so vapor can set them off. It does the same to the ones in your house, too, of course.

Generally I just sit in my car and leave it in there when I do something, though. Don't want pocket lint getting into the air intakes.

eso76

I never do it indoors except in my house or in any vehicle except my own.
In the streets, yeah of course I do. Of course I am not blowing stuff on anyone's face and if I'm chatting with someone I blow the smoke sideways or upward, and I never let my smoke engulf or actually even touch other people. Except when I want to annoy friends and be an asshole.

If you're walking behind me though, tough luck. You're the one who's supposed to keep a distance and not invade my oh so precious safe space ! Well at least I didn't fart not knowing you were there. When you think of it, at least vapour is visible, it's fair, you can avoid it ! You're generally surrounded by foul smells you can't see or avoid.

the1npc

Is this post serious? Oo

On topic though, the Volcano is one of the purchases I most regret. Vaping is the exact same as smoking from a bong for me except the body high isn't as good. Don't get the point. I end up using the Volcano more than the bong more often than not because it's already set up and ready to go in about 2 mins but meh.
And the weed doesn't even last longer like some like to proclaim. It's a neat alternative for people who really dislike the smoke's harsh throat sensation but hardly worth the price of admission at all...

Bongs and combustion taste like ass. Im glad we have dispensaries where im at because the weed is so nice a few hits off a vape slay me.

Rizific

as someone who vapes, i treat it just like smoking in the sense that i dont do it where smoking isnt allowed. and since im a decent human being, i also dont do it when im around others/25ft near an entrance/or know that it will end up in somebody's face. i did the same when i used to smoke cigarettes.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I think we should give vaping some extra leeway until cigarettes are banned, because the enemy of my enemy and all that.

I much prefer the people who vape while walking in front of me than those who do the same smoking cigarettes. I don't think I encounter people who vape all that often, but I encounter smokers on the sidewalk multiple times a day. And smelling cigarette smoke is just way more unpleasant than whatever candy scent of someone's vape.

Z..

Bongs and combustion taste like ass. Im glad we have dispensaries where im at because the weed is so nice a few hits off a vape slay me.

This is true, but I'll take the extra body high over the "not as bad" taste. Not like it actually tastes good off vapes or anything.

hirokazu

It's a lot better than walking into a stream of cigarette smoke.

I still think governments should:
1. Restrict vaping in public to places where smoking is currently permitted,
and then,
2. Ban smoking in all public places

Wallach

It's not really any different than cigarettes, or a lot of other things - anyone doing it is doing it because they're an inconsiderate prick, and yeah there are plenty of those.

I fucking hate when im behind or next to some one while driving and they spew their shit out the window and hits me in the face. Its even worse now since weed is legal and these people do the same shit. I hope they make it illegal to vape or smoke while driving. I could close my windows but they could also think of their surroundings. I dont mind when people smoke cigarettes, weed, or vape in an open space where I could just walk away and not deal with it but when im stuck behind you at a red light i dont have much of a choice.

fixedpoint

I fucking hate when im behind or next to some one while driving and they spew their shit out the window and hits me in the face. Its even worse now since weed is legal and these people do the same shit. I hope they make it illegal to vape or smoke while driving. I could close my windows but they could also think of their surroundings. I dont mind when people smoke cigarettes, weed, or vape in an open space where I could just walk away and not deal with it but when im stuck behind you at a red light i dont have much of a choice.

What I get from this thread is that I need a better vaporizer, everyone's moving to the cloud these days right

hirokazu

That seems weird, you get a whiff of bad exhaust fumes from old vehicles all the time, and I'd think those are a lot worse than cigarette, weed or vape smoke.

On the other hand, having to hold your breath and then quickly overtake a smoker is the worst.

naib

I've had a few fancy "mods" but have always been too embarrassed to use them in public. Even the sound is a little embarrassing for me.
I don't think it's a big deal though, depending on the context.

Saw a guy chucking(msp?) clouds in the produce section the other day though. I mean, c'mon. You could tell it was making people uncomfortable. And even if the stuff is more safe, it all still transfers. I don't want nicotine and captain crunch particles on my kids' apples.

I've found a discrete, satisfying ecig I like but still use discretely. I don't even bother stepping outside at work anymore.
edit: to clarify ~ don't discretely use at work, just not at all until I go home.

Scribble

I love the smell of fruit loops, or weed whenever I come across it in public. I didn't know that it was such a huge deal to some people. Whenever someone judges a smoker I can't help counter-judge them for having a stick up their asses. This is coming from a non-smoker.

I love the smell of fruit loops, or weed whenever I come across it in public. I didn't know that it was such a huge deal to some people. Whenever someone judges a smoker I can't help counter-judge them for having a stick up their asses. This is coming from a non-smoker.

It's cool that you're not bothered by somebody blowing smoke behind them as you're walking or driving behind them, I guess. Shit's bad. Vapor's not nearly as irritating.

ThisGuy

Vaping doesn't bother me as long as I don't smell it. In fact, I think seeing the large clouds from a distance looks kind of neat.

I want to see five people in a small car with the windows rolled up vape at the same time.

mhayes86

It should be treated as smoking since some people are more sensitive than others with the scent. Just because it's not a cigarette doesn't mean one should vape in your face or indoors. My sister did it in my car once and the scent made me incredibly nauseous. The scent of tobacco and weed are worse for me, though.

A couple guys I work with would vape in the building. I think they received several complaints since I haven't seen either do it in some time, but god damn was it obnoxious.

That seems weird, you get a whiff of bad exhaust fumes from old vehicles all the time, and I'd think those are a lot worse than cigarette, weed or vape smoke.

On the other hand, having to hold your breath and then quickly overtake a smoker is the worst.

Cigarettes i can deal with because they're usually not an issue. Vapes and weed on the other hand are disgusting. Maybe because the smell is so strong that I instantly realize that I'm inhaling into my lungs what someone literally just coughed out of their mouth. On the other hand im a car guy and for some reason I kinda like the smell of exhaust fumes especially the one that comes from semis lol. I don't have an issue with people smoking whatever they want just try keeping that shit in your car please.

v1lla21

Yeah vaping is annoying. I don't mind the smell but some of the people doing it are fucking dicks and blow it into other people's faces or right next to them. Vaping should be treated the same as regular cigarettes when it comes to regulating where you can smoke.

Z..

3 pages in and the case against vaping remains as thin as it gets. You dislike it because you dislike it. Hollow complaints.

Skyzard

Banned
I do the same thing while vaping in public as I do while smoking. Blow it to the side, away from people. Show some respect.

Flo_Evans

It's cool that you're not bothered by somebody blowing smoke behind them as you're walking or driving behind them, I guess. Shit's bad. Vapor's not nearly as irritating.

I mean... walking behind someone OK, but someone in another car?

I can't remember ever smelling a cig or a vape from someone else's car. That's just insane.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I feel like every time I see someone doing this in public, the same thing happens. I look at the ridiculous thing in their hand, I look them in the face, they look away in shame, and then I reflexively make a some sort of half eye roll combined with a stifled smirk.

I swear the majority of people who use these things have already judged themselves.

Imagine living life this miserable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom