• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pepsi Contains Higher Levels of Potential Carcinogen than Coke

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.motherjones.com/blue-marble/2014/01/sodas-contain-caramel-colored-carcinogen-4-mei

4-Mel is a carcinogen. Past the dotted black line is badsville.

chart-with-4-mei-levels-in-popular-soft-drinks1.png

I want to see Coca-Cola's advertising campaign that capitalizes on this.

Jeff-DSA

Coke vs. Pepsi, no preference. But Diet Coke vs. Diet Pepsi, it's not even close. Diet Pepsi is waaaaaaaay better.

Edit: What I'm saying is that it's worth it. Gimme that 4-Mel.

DJ_Lae

Everything causes cancer.

Having said that, Coke tastes way better than Pepsi anyway. Pepsi is far too sweet and one-note, you might as well drink any other generic cola.

Grym

meh...coke has sucked since removing the cocaine

also the shit that is worse for you tends to be 'better'

see: nearly any dessert and bacon

yeah bacon

Silkworm

Well at least if you live in California, due to their policy of placing warning labels on products with 29 micrograms of 4-MeI, you are slightly safer drinking Pepsi than in New York where the 4-MeI levels are much higher since they don't have such a labeling policy *shrug*
Of course several of the products in the chart exceed this level and don't have warning labels in California, so there is that :p

Edit: Chart confirms: Sprite rulez!!!! ;-)

rrs

Everything causes cancer.

Having said that, Coke tastes way better than Pepsi anyway. Pepsi is far too sweet and one-note, you might as well drink any other generic cola.

Pepsi with actual sugar tastes better than Coke

Silkworm

Wonder where coffee sits on the chart (not that I drink coffee).

Er, I believe coffee is naturally brown due to roasting, not made caramel in appearance due to artificial chemicals (though I wouldn't but it past some companies perhaps using 4-MeI but that coffee is probably crap anyway).

Edit: Nevermind. I'm dead wrong.

4-Methylimidazole may be formed in the browning of certain foods through the Maillard reaction between carbohydrates and amino-containing compounds. In particular, it is found in roasted foods, grilled meats, coffee and in types of caramel coloring produced with ammonia-based processes.

Roasted foods and coffee? Bah!!! >:-( I don't care, come at me 4-MeI! :p

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Pepsi Throwback blows any version of Coke away.

LOL; This is like arguing about one not very good thing being better than another not very good thing.
sorry for the silly post i'm kind of tired

All the more reason to bring back Crystal Pepsi I guess.

And to the guy that said Diet Pepsi is better than Diet Coke? Fuck you. Diet Coke is the nectar of the gods.

I still like both.
iJrCATepgjaVD.png

Boom.

Both good, both different enough to be enjoyed in different ways. Personally, I mainly only enjoy Coke when drunk along with food, it just seems too sugary to me by itself. But Pepsi I enjoy either by itself or with a meal, but it's less good than Coke with a meal I feel.

And that's not even getting into the slightly different flavors of each of them between Can vs. Plastic Bottle vs. Glass Bottle.
Glass bottle Coke and Can Pepsi FTW!
All the more reason to bring back Crystal Pepsi I guess.
I really wish they would!
That came out before my time so I never got to try it out, and I'm sure the only stuff that remains has congealed into something resembling the consistency and potential for life as primordial ooze.

Thanks for the update! I was worried you might have slipped. Good to hear all is well.
Was about to post the same thing. It's like walking into a discussion about what fast food is best, declaring you're irrelevant to the discussion, then walking away. Great, thanks, congrats. Who gives a shit?

I've always liked Coke better. Pepsi always tasted like syrup or chemicals in a way I couldn't stand. I'll try throwback some time.

rezuth

In order for humans to reach the equivalent of even the lowest cancer-causing dose in mice, a woman would have to drink 37,000 cans (12 oz) a day for the rest of her life, and a man would have to drink 95,000 cans a day. These figures come from a slightly more conservative study of colas done last year that found an average of 130 μg of 4-MEI per can as opposed to the 138 μg found by CSP

zma1013

Coke wins because it has just the right balance of "sugars" in it. Pepsi is too sweet.

Also, how does McDonald's coke taste so much better than any other fast food restaurant's coke?

.la1n

Coke wins because it has just the right balance of "sugars" in it. Pepsi is too sweet.

Also, how does McDonald's coke taste so much better than any other fast food restaurant's coke?

I always thought Sprite at McDonald's tasted significantly better than anywhere else, it's a conspiracy.

4-Methylimidazole may be formed in the browning of certain foods through the Maillard reaction between carbohydrates and amino-containing compounds. In particular, it is found in roasted foods, grilled meats, coffee and in types of caramel coloring produced with ammonia-based processes.

It's in so many common foods and drinks... why is this even an issue?

Why the hell are the 4-Mel levels of Pepsi and Diet Pepsi so so much higher in New York than any other region for Pepsi?

Like what is that about?

I mix coke and Pepsi when I get a fountain drink. Good shit.

What restaurant/fast food place is going to have both coke and Pepsi? That's redundant as hell

rezuth

Both are commonly sold with the inferior tasting sweetener HFCS. Real soda uses real cane sugar.

You live in the wrong part of the world!

Also I agree that the syrup cola you get at mcdonalds and sf bio etc taste a lot better than out of the can. Plastic bottles are the worst, I don't even bother with them anymore.

Disagree. If I drink coke straight without any food it makes my teeth feel disgusting. Don't know if it's the sugar, the level of carbonation, or the acidity, but something about it doesn't feel as good in my mouth as Pepsi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom