• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Perfect Albums

Status
Not open for further replies.

kottila

Forgot one:

Audrey Horne - Audrey Horne

audrey-horne-audrey-horne-cover.jpg

PolishQ

Some of my personal perfect albums, from off the beaten path:

reveille.jpg

album-bee-thousand.jpg

Bjork-Vespertine-194998.jpg

1494693-frog-eyes-the-golden-river.jpg

Laurie-Anderson-Big-Science-526397.jpg

Sparks-Kimono-My-House--478101.jpg

Also agree with the previously mentioned:
Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
Modest Mouse - The Moon & Antarctica
Joanna Newsom - Ys
Radiohead - OK Computer, Kid A, Amnesiac, probably even In Rainbows and TKOL
The Beatles - almost anything

Ultima_5

I'll try to post stuff that hasn't already been posted.
Arrogant sons of bitches - three cheers for disappointment
asob-3cheers-cover.jpg

The Impossibles - Anthology
anthology.jpg

Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill
Beastie-Boys-Licensed-to-Ill.jpg

Pixies - Surfer Rosa
41079B240YL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Dandy Warhols - Welcome to the Monkey House
dandywarhols_welcome_monkeys_house.jpg

GZA - Liquid Swords
gza-1995-hhir-liquid-swords-the-samples.jpg

RDreamer said:
If it were just a favorite albums thread or something like that, I could add a lot more. Most of my favorites I do consider perfect, though, since I listen to music almost non stop and have heard a ton of stuff and like a ton of stuff. And I never listen to just tracks. So, usually if an album even has a track I actively dislike I don't tend to listen to it a lot. 2 tracks I actively dislike and it's probably a big dud for me.

You think I don't know that? I'm just going by what's being posted here, mostly album covers with zero explanation about why they could be considered perfect. Your post featured something like 15 albums, I can't even think of 3 albums that I'd consider perfect so perhaps for the uninitiated you could explain why those are so good.

And fuck all you of you who just post art and then don't say what the fuck it is.

577503.jpg

Godspeed You! Black Emperor: Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven

3434431703-1.png

Murder by Death: Who Will Survive and What Will be Left of Them

00091_prc118.jpg

Owen: At Home With Owen

Andrew%20Bird%20Armchair%20Apocrypha.jpg

Andrew Bird: Armchair Apocrypha

I'll do a brief write up if I have the time after my exam I'm supposed to be studying for.

krypt0nian said:
OK how in the fuckity fuck did My Bloody Valentine - Loveless only get one other pop besides mine?

Has GAF not heard it or do they collectively have no soul?

Explain yourselves.

On a more positive note, two more:

The Cure - Disintegration
The Pixies - Doolittle

To the average listener, it's just pulsating noise. Now, if you've listened to it for hundreds, if not thousands of times, the layers and textures become apparent and beautiful. There's other shoegaze, obviously, but nothing comes close. There are countless albums that could be considered perfect; they might be new and groundbreaking, well-refined or just consistently good. But Loveless is so unique and so perfect, it's on a higher tier than most albums could ever dream of.

Ilive1up

Jeramii said:
oh god i love this album. its close to perfect for me. if you ever get the chance to see them live do not pass it up. i drove 800 miles to see them with between the buried and me and had my mind blown. unfortunately not many people in the crowd knew who they were or cared, which is a shame. the few people who didn't know and actually watched them were converted to fans right away (based off conversation and reaction between sets). only thing that would make this album better is if it had their new lead singer and not the old one... i hate the old one compared to the new..

my favorite track. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q45ZuNJdUWI

funny. i drove 15 minutes to see this band and btbam. i missed the ocean and was pissed.

EverythingMustGo%281996album%29Albumcover.jpg

So, um, there's nothing bad on this album. It's also way more easily listened to than either The Holy Bible or Journal for Plague Lovers (those two and this are basically the all-time contenders for the best Manics album, for the unaware) and it has so many of their classic songs on it. A Design for Life, Kevin Carter, Enola/Alone, the title track,
motherfucking Australia? SHIT YES.

There was no British band in the 90s better than the god damn Manic Street Preachers. The Gallaghers can suck it.

Sealda

Banned
600full-born-in-the-u.s.a.-cover.jpg

"Born in the U.S.A." – 4:39
"Cover Me" – 3:27
"Darlington County" – 4:48
"Working on the Highway" – 3:11
"Downbound Train" – 3:35
"I'm on Fire" – 2:37
"No Surrender" – 4:00
"Bobby Jean" – 3:46
"I'm Goin' Down" – 3:29
"Glory Days" – 4:15
"Dancing in the Dark" – 4:00
"My Hometown" – 4:34

61XHQNYNZ5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

1. "The Headmaster Ritual" 4:52
2. "Rusholme Ruffians" 4:20
3. "I Want the One I Can't Have" 3:14
4. "What She Said" 2:42
5. "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore" 4:59
6. "Nowhere Fast" 2:37
7. "Well I Wonder" 4:00
8. "Barbarism Begins at Home" 6:57
9. "Meat Is Murder" 6:06

1270141911_perfume-triangle-2009.jpg

1. "Take Off" 0:49
2. "Love the World" 4:33
3. "Dream Fighter" 4:54
4. "Edge (Triangle Mix)" 8:43
5. "Night Flight" 5:21
6. "Kiss and Music" 2:35
7. "Zero Gravity" 4:54
8. "I Still Love U" 4:33
9. "The Best Thing" 4:24
10. "Speed of Sound" 3:59
11. "One Room Disco" (ワンルーム・ディスコ; Wan Rūmu Disuko) 5:09
12. "Negai (Album Mix)" (願い; Wish) 4:59

daft_punk_disovery_63619535.jpg

1. "One More Time" Bangalter, de Homem-Christo, Anthony Moore 5:20
2. "Aerodynamic" 3:27
3. "Digital Love" Bangalter, de Homem-Christo, Carlos Sosa, George Duke 4:58
4. "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" Bangalter, de Homem-Christo, Edwin Birdsong 3:45
5. "Crescendolls" 3:31
6. "Nightvision" 1:44
7. "Superheroes" Bangalter, de Homem-Christo, Barry Manilow, Marty Panzer 3:57
8. "High Life" 3:22
9. "Something About Us" 3:51
10. "Voyager" 3:47
11. "Veridis Quo" 5:44
12. "Short Circuit" 3:26
13. "Face to Face" Bangalter, de Homem-Christo, Todd Imperatrice 3:58
14. "Too Long" Bangalter, de Homem-Christo, Anthony Moore 10:00

Nappuccino said:
Godspeed You! Black Emperor: Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven

This actually crossed my mind when I was first reading through the thread, because it's one of my favorite albums. You don't think it, uh...outstays its welcome in a couple spots though? Some of those ambient interludes go on for quiiiite a while.

ATF487

Green Scar said:

So, um, there's nothing bad on this album. It's also way more easily listened to than either The Holy Bible or Journal for Plague Lovers (those two and this are basically the all-time contenders for the best Manics album, for the unaware) and it has so many of their classic songs on it. A Design for Life, Kevin Carter, Enola/Alone, the title track,

There was no British band in the 90s better than the god damn Manic Street Preachers. The Gallaghers can suck it.

I feel like people don't talk about this album enough. I love THB but Everything Must Go is just about its equal, and you can be in any mood to enjoy it

ATF487 said:
I feel like people don't talk about this album enough. I love THB but Everything Must Go is just about its equal, and you can be in any mood to enjoy it

I know, right? Nothing on EMG is as good as Faster, but it's a hell of a lot harder to pick a 'best song' for EMG, so yeah. Golden record. Shame about what happened around its recording, of course...

Hmm, so the OP kinda is saying "perfect" is an album where you love every song on it without any filler tracks and it all fits together as a cohesive theme. I guess my closest fit for that would have to go back quite a ways, 1982 to be specific.

MarshallCrenshawAlbum.jpg

It's just plain old guitar pop music but it's just so solid throughout. Each song is distinctive yet still an easily recognizable part of the overall whole. It works with plenty of basic song progressions, but likes to tweak them in subtle yet interesting ways. In the age of individual tracks it's one of the few that I will still spin up and listen to the whole thing. I'll never understand why Crenshaw got lost in the shuffle of 80s music, he deserved better.

Robert Christgau agrees with me as well:
"Marshall Crenshaw [Warner Bros., 1982]
This album seems simple because it is simple, yet it continues to unfold long after you believe its byways played out--not by exploiting the snazzy bridges and key changes of the traditional pop arsenal, but with lines repeated at odd junctures, choruses reentering when you anticipate another verse. Brushing by the everyday phrases that are the stuff of pop songwriting--cynical girl, she can't dance, the usual thing--to add a twist or make an oblique point, Crenshaw captures a magic ur-adolescent innocence without acting the simp. It's as sly and well-meaning as his love of girls. A"

kokujin

Banned
Omega Five
6994-1206034906.jpg

Battle Garegga
10012-1218587984.jpg

Ketsui
4213-1252886882.jpg

Dracula/Contra Rebirth
17109-1274477917.jpg

Deus Ex
910-1278935843.jpg

F-Zero GX/AX
411-1232959199.jpg

Virtua Fighter 2
1733-1191841105.jpg

Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon
2779-1190415439.jpg

Super Mario Galaxy
5409-1196864283.jpg

Alien Soldier
2686-1276390938.jpg

The Last Remnant
10601-1227202902.jpg

Opoona
21398-1293016414.jpg

King Of Fighters 2000
421-1284384176.jpg

Street Fighter 3: 2nd Impact
1850-1282102156.jpg

It's hard to do something like this with classical music albums, because how do you judge perfection? The compositions themselves are usually great (unless you get some weird lesser-known stuff, then it can be a little more hit-or-miss), but judging the interpretations alone doesn't really feel right either. But if I had to choose one, it would be this:

Kleiber_Beethoven_Symphony_7.jpg

Disregarding the music completely, this in my opinion is exactly what an orchestra should sound like. It's hard to describe, but at some point when listening to this, you don't hear the orchestra anymore, you just hear the music, which is what it should be like. Music-wise, those are two of the greatest symphonies ever written, so in that sense it's pretty much ideal.

JJDinomite said:
To the average listener, it's just pulsating noise. Now, if you've listened to it for hundreds, if not thousands of times, the layers and textures become apparent and beautiful. There's other shoegaze, obviously, but nothing comes close. There are countless albums that could be considered perfect; they might be new and groundbreaking, well-refined or just consistently good. But Loveless is so unique and so perfect, it's on a higher tier than most albums could ever dream of.

Exactly how I feel. They tapped into something more than most can ever hope to.

Jeramii

Banned
Ilive1up said:
funny. i drove 15 minutes to see this band and btbam. i missed the ocean and was pissed.

did you get stuck watching that shit band job for a cowboy? god they were awful. its a shame the ocean was playing earlier than them.

where did you see btbam? i drove to denver. (technically i drove 1600 miles round trip).

Buddha Beam said:
Edit: also Lo-Fidelity Allstars first album. almost 14 years later and it's still my favorite album of all time.
i just...you...what? what a bizarre choice for somebody's favorite album of all time. more power to you.

aside from some others that have already been mentioned:

The_Future_Sound_Of_London-Dead_Cities.jpg
51CE8D8ZYNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
the-presets.jpg
31E5D8999FL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
61vUg6MlWkL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
51FKAY50W5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
61AGlT5Y1TL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
51fG9g0%2BFjL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Green Scar said:

Will have to respectfully disagree. Holy Bible blows it out of the water and would be the closest Manics ever got to perfection (probably should have added it to my perfect albums list now that I think about it). Everything Must Go has some good singles but is the starting point of their dad rock years and slow slide into irrelevance. Australia being the main offender.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Wimps said:
Hell yeah.

You should listen to Wugazi. Basicly what he has done is mashup a hardcore/punk band(Fugazi) with Wu Tang, the result is amazing.

Wugazi

The album is close to perfect imo.

Man really digging that shit, going to put it in my girlfriends car!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom