• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Perfect panels: The 10 best comic books of 2016 | The Dallas Morning News

Status
Not open for further replies.

NMFried

I figured since I posted our Top 10 games list a few days ago that you all might be interested in what The Dallas Morning News chose as its Top 10 Comics this year.

http://www.guidelive.com/comic-books/2016/12/27/perfect-panels-10-best-comic-books-2016

10. Ms. Marvel
9. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
8. Black Panther
7. Shade: The Changing Girl
6. The Legend of Wonder Woman
5. The Omega Men
4. Superman
3. The Fix
2. Superman: American Alien
1. Vision

Honorable mentions:
Reborn, Paper Girls, Saga, Invincible, Spider-Man, All-New Wolverine, Green Arrow, Batman, Suicide Squad, The Sheriff of Babylon

Platy

The lack of Squirrel Girl makes this list shitty from the start >=|

edit : also, american alien is the worst superman comic I read in a long time =P

NMFried

The lack of Squirrel Girl makes this list shitty from the start >=|

edit : also, american alien is the worst superman comic I read in a long time =P

​
Hey, to each his own. I haven't gotten a chance to catch up on Squirrel Girl, so I couldn't put it in contention not having read it.

What's your favorite Superman comic?

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Yeah, there really wasn't another pick for #1 this year other than Vision. That run was just too good.

Some notables that don't seem to have found a home on your list were East of West and The Wicked + The Divine, both of which had probably the best year of their runs so far.

Haven't yet read Omega Men, but I have a trade I borrowed from a friend sitting right next to me. Guess I'll have to dive in.

NMFried

Yeah, there really wasn't another pick for #1 this year other than Vision. That run was just too good.

Some notables that don't seem to have found a home on your list were East of West and The Wicked + The Divine, both of which had probably the best year of their runs so far.

Haven't yet read Omega Men, but I have a trade I borrowed from a friend sitting right next to me. Guess I'll have to dive in.

East Of West I'm just now running through. I'm on Vol. 3. And Wicked + The Divine I fell off of when I moved because I didn't have a shop close by and I couldn't get review copies. Both great from what I've read though!

The Omega Men is very good. Reminds me of classic cosmic Marvel.

Tom King had a great year, well I haven't much stellar praise for Batman yet but between Vision, Babylon, and Omega Men, goddamn.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
2016 was Tom King's year. Everything he wrote this year had me like

giphy.gif

I especially loved Vision. Sheriff of Babylon was just the cherry on top.

Saga is always a strong performer but it was on break. I kinda think about that series as a tv show.

NMFried

Tom King had a great year, well I haven't much stellar praise for Batman yet between Vision, Babylon, and Omega Men, goddamn.

Batman is great! But it's also springboarding off of what Snyder and Capullo set, at least so far. Superman was the cape comic that really caught me off guard this year.

Seems like a mostly solid list that could use more Flintstones. The Vision is that damn good.

I read the first issue of The Flintstones and then stopped. I'm not sure why, I guess it was just Hanna-Barbera overload at the time. I kept with Future Quest the longest.

List is missing Black Monday Murders, Black Hammer, Kill or Be Killed, The Hunt, Glitterbomb, New Superman, Aliens: Defiance, Black Road, Weird Detective, and Negative Space.

But I'm glad the trash heaps that are Reborn, Batman, and Green Arrow made the honorable mentions.

NMFried

Greg Rucka's run of Wonder Woman should have been in that list too.

I mention it, I just think Legend was stronger, mostly because it was a mini-series that had to tell the story in less time.

However, Rucka's WW is going to be a strong contender once the two current arcs finish. Guess we'll revisit that next year.

Fury451

Banned
Tom King was on fire this year.

Vision was spectacular. A Vision book of all things was one of the best things I read.

Omega Men was excellent, and Sheriff of Babylon is outstanding. Honestly surprised that didn't make the top 10.

His Batman is pretty iffy though.

List is missing Black Monday Murders, Black Hammer, Kill or Be Killed, The Hunt, Glitterbomb, New Superman, Aliens: Defiance, Black Road, Weird Detective, and Negative Space.

But I'm glad the trash heaps that are Reborn, Batman, and Green Arrow made the honorable mentions.

Weird Detective and Moon Knight are secret great books this year too. Haven't gotten to Black Hammer, Glitterbomb, or past the firsts issue of Black Monday yet

Platy

Hahah that was my first read too, Penguin xD

​
Hey, to each his own. I haven't gotten a chance to catch up on Squirrel Girl, so I couldn't put it in contention not having read it.

What's your favorite Superman comic?

fair enogh ... but read it !
It is one of the freshest things to came out of the marvel universe in a long time.... and it is specialy good if you recognize the obscure references to the universe.

Does Kingdom Come counts ? xD
If not then Red Son =x

NMFried

Hahah that was my first read too, Penguin xD

fair enogh ... but read it !
It is one of the freshest things to came out of the marvel universe in a long time.... and it is specialy good if you recognize the obscure references to the universe.

Does Kingdom Come counts ? xD
If not then Red Son =x

I think Kingdom Come counts, mostly because it's also one of my favorites.

Red Son is also a great choice.

No BPRD Hell on Earth or Flintstones? That's a shame. Doom Patrol #3 was one of the best books this year period too.

Good list though. Vision, Shade, Fix, and Legend of Wonder Woman are great reads.

Fury451

Banned
all new wolverine was good, but good enough to make a best of list?

Just powered through the first volume. It's really good for the first arc at least imo. I'd rank it high of what I've read this year, certainly much higher than I ever expected.

Dalek

Pretty good list-happy to see Paper Girls and Vision but in no way is All New Wolverine worthy of a mention and Squirrel Girl excluded. SG is life.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Ultimates got robbed, but at least Vision got it's props.

Also we got the last issue of Secret Wars this year and it was a doozy.

27901420730_b7bc5b926d_b.jpg

Platy

Pretty good list-happy to see Paper Girls and Vision but in no way is All New Wolverine worthy of a mention and Squirrel Girl excluded. SG is life.

See ? He agrees that Squirrel Girl is awesome.

You know who also agrees ?

gNzJFLO.jpg

GWjD9Ec.gif

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Happy to see The Fix get some recognition. It's definitely my favorite new Image title. Black Hammer is favorite new book overall though.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Just powered through the first volume. It's really good for the first arc at least imo. I'd rank it high of what I've read this year, certainly much higher than I ever expected.

It was an honorable mention. The series has been strong while the rest of the X-Men stuff has sort of floundered. Just not enough to beat out my top ten.

i like it, but it doesnt feel like anything special.

Messi

Paper Girls and Saga were both stellar, but neither really took off for me this year. They were both on my list in 2015. Saga was great, but I don't think enough issues came out this year.

2016 was Tom King's year. Everything he wrote this year had me like

giphy.gif

I especially loved Vision. Sheriff of Babylon was just the cherry on top.

Saga is always a strong performer but it was on break. I kinda think about that series as a tv show.

Saga had 8 issues out in 2015 and 2016. 2016 would have had 9 but the most recent issue got delayed two weeks due to a printer error. Their first ever delay. Breaks between arcs are intentional to allow Fiona Staples to stay ahead and not have fill in artists.

Nudull

Banned
I haven't read American Alien yet, but I doubt it tops the awesomeness that is Superman: Secret Identity (my favorite Superman book AND one of my all-time favorite comics).

That's a great list. I would have given the #1 spot to Omega Men but it's hard to argue with these choices. I've never read (or cared) about the Power Rangers but the preview pages always look great on Comixology, maybe I should give it a try.

It's hard to believe that Superman and Wonder Woman had such a great year in comics. I've aways liked them but most of the time their main series are not exactly must reads. I'm glad Legend of Wonder Woman was mentioned, I've been praising it for months.

I haven't read American Alien yet, but I doubt it tops the awesomeness that is Superman: Secret Identity (my favorite Superman book AND one of my all-time favorite comics).

It probably doesn't (still haven't read Secret Identity) but it's still worth reading. Landis gets a bad rap but he wrote a very human and relatable Superman that still felt like Superman.

Ledsen

How come there are so many superhero comics on that list? Surely there must be a shit-ton of other types of comics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom