• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment |PSN OT| Finish what you started.

dramatis

Absolutely, and it has a good story to make your grinding/NPC-order-talking suffer-able; however, at times it feels additive to Persona 2 Innocent Sin, which is the prequel.
It actually doesn't feel much like a dungeon crawl to me, but I'm probably like 1/4th of the way in and just having cahoots negotiating with demons I've been playing this game for like 4 years now at the most plodding pace.

I liked the 'city' feel in P2EP a lot, where you had massage parlors and street vendors and aromatherapy as well as a range of food places to bum around at.

It actually doesn't feel much like a dungeon crawl to me, but I'm probably like 1/4th of the way in and just having cahoots negotiating with demons I've been playing this game for like 4 years now at the most plodding pace.

Persona 2 demon negotiations are amazing! I wish those were fully voiced :)

Fodder76

How similar is this to Innocent Sin? I like all the other Persona games, but I just couldn't handle Innocent Sin. If this is very similar in gameplay style and whatnot, I'll probably just skip this one.

Omikaru

How similar is this to Innocent Sin? I like all the other Persona games, but I just couldn't handle Innocent Sin. If this is very similar in gameplay style and whatnot, I'll probably just skip this one.

It's pretty much a direct continuation from Innocent Sin, so I expect it's going to have similar gameplay. Can't say for sure though as I'm in Europe and this game has never come out over here, in any way, shape or form.

Man, I'm super bummed that this is only playable on the PS3. I mean I have a PS3, but I was so excited about having all of the Personas on my Vita :(

Sophia

It's pretty much a direct continuation from Innocent Sin, so I expect it's going to have similar gameplay. Can't say for sure though as I'm in Europe and this game has never come out over here, in any way, shape or form.

Yeah it's pretty similar to Innocent Sin. Same exact battle system and all. If you didn't like the gameplay of IS, you probably won't like this this one.

If it does it's not something you'd be able to use in North America. Innocent Sin PS1 was never localized, and the same goes for Eternal Punishment PSP.

Pretty sure the carry over bonus feature from Innocent Sin (Tatsuya having his ultimate persona/level) was removed from the original EP NA release.

I will power rank based in each game's latest version.

Persona 2 Eternal Punishment PS1 > Persona 4 Golden > Persona 2 Innocent Sin PSP > Persona 4 Arena > Persona 1 PSP> Persona 3 Portable PSP

Every game in the series is good to great, and I will get heavy flak for P1 > P3

Not from me anyway, I agree 100% with your list.

Persona 2 EP is best Persona. The characters are amazing (the only adult cast in the series yo), the setting is amazing and no social links nonsense.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
That discussion should have been had in this thread. Please don't use community threads for major discussion about games that have OTs in the gaming forum, or scenarios like this occur.

Well, community thread has more eyes for the series anyone that was hoping to play it probably would check there. But whatever.

Yeah, I feel like I wasted money on this. I could play it on PS3 but I want to play it portable like I did both Innocent Sin "releases" (fan and official translation). >:| I'm so angry right now, I waited for this to come for weeks now and can't even "play" it.

Does EP have animation skip for battles?

No, if I remember right. It has a speed-up, but no animation skipping for faster battles.

TimeKillr

Yeah, I wonder what it'll be like on the PSP/Vita.

When I made an ISO of one of my PSX copies and tried it on my PSP a while ago, it was completely unplayable. Whenever you opened a menu anywhere, it would slow down to a complete crawl, the music would slow down like crazy, and it ran at like 2fps.

I kept trying it on different versions of POPS and it always had this issue, so unless Sony recently updated their emulator, I dunno if it'll work on the PSP and the Vita. :(

Don't take my word for it, though - maybe they did fix it on a version of POPS that I didn't test it on...

Does EP have animation skip for battles?

It does.

Aeana

Well, community thread has more eyes for the series anyone that was hoping to play it probably would check there. But whatever.

Yeah, I feel like I wasted money on this. I could play it on PS3 but I want to play it portable like I did both Innocent Sin "releases" (fan and official translation). >:| I'm so angry right now, I waited for this to come for weeks now and can't even "play" it.

No, if I remember right. It has a speed-up, but no animation skipping for faster battles.

You didn't waste money. It's not like it'll never be playable on the Vita. This is a temporary problem.

As a fan of SMT and jrpgs in general. Is it worth playing thru P1 for the references P2 has to it? Or has the game not aged well?
Regardless I'm so hyped to be able to play thru the P2 saga on my vita.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Wait, so this doesn't even run on the PSP? That's certainly not a good sign for a quick solution. I'll wait then. If I wanted to play this on the TV I could just use the original version.

Edit: Seems like it works on the PSP. The wait shouldn't be too long then.

randomkid

Haha there are only like 10 of you all chatting over there, no way there are more "eyes" on that thread.

It's pretty dumb that this kind of thing keeps happening to Atlus games (didn't Growlanser/Gungnir have some kind of annoying issue too?) but I was planning to switch back and forth between PS3 and Vita anyways so I'm okay for now until this gets sorted out.

I'm copying it over to PSP right now just out of curiosity and it seems to be working so far for what it's worth.

Edit: Yup, definitely works on the PSP.

As a fan of SMT and jrpgs in general. Is it worth playing thru P1 for the references P2 has to it? Or has the game not aged well?
Regardless I'm so hyped to be able to play thru the P2 saga on my vita.

It's always fun to see how the characters from 1 have changed but it's not absolutely necessary since the characters are reintroduced with a short description. P1 is still a decent game and worth playing IMO.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
Wow, it's complete and total bullshit that I can't put this on my Vita to play. I seriously doubt I will play this anywhere near as much on PS3 as I would on Vita, so this is a huge bummer.

Wasn't the whole point of this release to be a compromise solution for not releasing the PSP version of this in the States? It's not like this would sell well to those who intend to play it on their PS3 because the first game isn't available as a PS1 classic.

They say that this is a "temporary" error and will be fixed soon, but given the lackluster PS1 support for the Vita, I have my doubts about when it will work, if at all. Forgive me for my skepticism, but it's tough not to in a space where Crash Team Racing and FFV still aren't playable on NA Vitas when Europeans have been able to play them for half a year.

Wow, it's complete and total bullshit that I can't put this on my Vita to play. I seriously doubt I will play this anywhere near as much on PS3 as I would on Vita, so this is a huge bummer.

Wasn't the whole point of this release to be a compromise solution for not releasing the PSP version of this in the States? It's not like this would sell well to those who intend to play it on their PS3 because the first game isn't available as a PS1 classic.

They say that this is a "temporary" error and will be fixed soon, but given the lackluster PS1 support for the Vita, I have my doubts about when it will work, if at all. Forgive me for my skepticism, but it's tough not to in a space where Crash Team Racing and FFV still aren't playable on NA Vitas when Europeans have been able to play them for half a year.

there was a game that wasn't compatible with vita. someone tweeted to yosp. and like not a few days later it was fixed. some of yall need to chillax.

no one wants FFV also. it's all about FFIII

randomkid

Yeesh I shouldn't have tried things out on the PSP, the intro looks so nice and sharp, I wouldn't have realized what I was missing if I'd stuck with TV, maybe I can find a way to fiddle with my TV settings.

Browsing through the awesome manual scan right now, I love that PSX games have these so very much.

Aeana

Well, I'm glad it at least works on PSP right now. In theory, one could start it there and transfer the save over to Vita later.

TheSeks

FluxWaveZ

Is it possible to transfer PSX game saves from the PS3 to the Vita? Might just start it on the PS3 if the situation is going to remain for a while.

mochuuu

PSN Community Mgr.
Thanks, mochuuu.

It says worst case scenario, so let's hope it doesn't take that long.

yeah, I'd like to see it fixed within the week, but just managing expectations upfront on this one. We'll be pushing for a speedy fix.

TheSeks

Is it possible to transfer PSX game saves from the PS3 to the Vita? Might just start it on the PS3 if the situation is going to remain for a while.

Yes, only through the content manager assistant though. Not like the PSP where you hook it up via USB and just XMB->Copy it.

randomkid

yeah, I'd like to see it fixed within the week, but just managing expectations upfront on this one. We'll be pushing for a speedy fix.

So what's the BEST case scenario, hours???

For real though I think I might actually start on PSP, if it looks this sharp already lord knows how nice it'll be on Vita.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Well, I'm glad it at least works on PSP right now. In theory, one could start it there and transfer the save over to Vita later.

And for visual confirmation...

1HqhzP9.jpg

Dusty PSP is dusty.

kunonabi

I will power rank based in each game's latest version.

Persona 2 Eternal Punishment PS1 > Persona 4 Golden > Persona 2 Innocent Sin PSP > Persona 4 Arena > Persona 1 PSP> Persona 3 Portable PSP

Every game in the series is good to great, and I will get heavy flak for P1 > P3

Not from me as P1 is still my favorite game in the series.

I'm going by original us releases. I don't care for the psp remake of the original at all.

P2:EP > P1 > P4 > P3 > P2: IS

Tizoc

Well now I just need to get this and P4G for cheap and I'll dedicate a folder on the Vita to the series~

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Far out, talk about an understatement that is filthy.
All that dust around and in the dpad it is painful to look at.

Used to clean it all the time, but I let it sit around for about a year without any use. That was the end result. The fact that I used the flash from my phone makes it worse.

Top Bottom