• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden: A Retrospective [FULL SPOILERS]

post theme: Snowflakes

It's funny how small bets can change lives.

Everything started with a PSN sale in November which dropped Persona 4 Golden to only 10 bucks. I'm well acquainted with the Vita fanbase, so I was well aware of the reverence around this game. I'm not interested in JRPGs so I didn't expect to like the game, however, I decided to risk the $10 to play the most acclaimed game of my favorite system.

Practically all I knew about the going in was that it had a system where you got closer to people by hanging out with them, and that it was a JRPG. I didn't expect to like it. I expected to be able to say "P4G is overrated in my opinion, I tried and didn't like it".

The first 3-4 hours until finishing Yukiko's dungeon, I thought my exceptions were pretty much right on the money. I didn't stop though, for whatever reason. I kept going. Then the game opened up by letting me do whatever I want in my free time.

I'm pretty sure that was the moment P4G had sunk it hooks onto me. There's something addictive about the level of freedom the game grants you, that's the only explanation I have. I somehow managed to give the game a break of a few weeks between November and December (was finishing up a couple of other stuff), I think I still thought of the game as only "pretty good" by then. The moment I picked P4G back up, I played for 3-4 hours straight.

From that day on, for a period I estimate to be around 10-14 days, I was completely immersed in Persona afterwards. I think I ended up playing 6 hours a day at one stretch (I was curious as hell about Rise so I cleared her dungeon in very few days, then I tried to initiate her S.Link, couldn't stop haha).

The cast is just too good! Spending time, forming bonds, I still can't properly explain how the game managed to establish such a beautifully crafted daily routine that it drew me in with each passing day. Isolated, practically every single element of the game falls apart. I'm utterly blown away that somehow they came together and formed the masterpiece that is P4G.

...I'm sorry, this post isn't becoming anywhere as long as I want it to be. P4G is just an experience that's hard to explain. I don't think I'll feel satisfied with this post until I've dissected every single day. Then again, I expect anyone who's read up to this point to be finished with the game's true ending, so I'm confident you'll understand.

My favorite moments were easily the day-long events that took place with the whole TV inspection crew. The earliest example I remember right now is the school campout.

"The game of my dreams" said:
Yukiko & Chie: (wearing bikinis) Why're you guys here?
Kanji: (turns around) uuuuuhhhhh....
Chie: What's wrong, Kanji?
Kanji: Uuuuuuuuuhhhhh.... (refuses to face Chie)
Chie: (grabs him, turns him around, sees nosebleed) YOU FILTHY-
(Yukiko and Chie throw him into the river)
*5 minutes later*
(hearing Mr. Morooka belch and puke upstream)
Yosuke: Wait, is that...
Yukiko: I've heard Mr. Morooka was throwing up upstrea.... (trails off)
Yosuke:(in river) (on the verge of tears) ...I'll... never... feel clean again...

I was overall impressed by the JRPG part in that the boss battles were very engaging and there was very little grinding (only grinded for around 5 hours overall). Personas were a pretty deep mechanic, which was nice. My favorites during the course of the game were Ippon Datara, Black Frost, some green-black-silver swordsman (Ma Tin?) and Trumpeter (which was my last go-to Persona).

The BIGGEST reason, even though not the initial one, of my love for P4G is the cast. I didn't want a single person to not be there. Yosuke's a bit of a douche but still friendly (reminds me of myself with of how often he screws up and needs the cast to help him out), Kanji's rash but considerate, Yukiko's reserved but at times the liveliest of the bunch. It's just a bunch of wonderfully realized characters- I can't have enough of them yet I'm perfectly content with the true ending.

I guess this is the part where P4G directly resonates with me. I'm 16, so the troubles of the cast (finding of self, deciding the future, trivialties like exams and trips) directly related to me and how I feel nowadays. I loved how close the cast was. I loved how they spent practically every day together and shared so many things. They were schoolmates, classmates, villagers, teenagers, comrades, life-changers, even lovers. I'm also a very nostalgic person, I still miss the neighborhood where I was born and my friends from primary school. I mostly have fond memories of the past, and I have a very weak spot for nostalgia.

...Then came the 21st of March. I'd been aware for the last 15 game hours that the date of parting was swiftly approaching but nothing quite prepared me for 03/21. The cutscene where everyone runs alongside the peron as MC's train leaves and says their parting words...I'm getting teary eyed as I write this...

...I'm crying. Again.

The epilogue was priceless too. Seeing how everyone was different yet the same (seeing Kanji with shirt, glasses and black hair shouting "CUT IT OUT, DAMMIT!" was priceless). Nanako with long hair and offering to play the piano for Dojima. Namatame trying to pay the town back. Inaba sunny again. Marie as a cheerful, upbeat news anchor.

Nothing, NOTHING, ever touched me Persona 4 Golden did. I'm thankful for this game. I felt like I truly lived a wonderful life inside P4G. Normally, the games I play are in the 20-30 hour range. I can't comprehend how 70 hours of P4G felt so short. I can't believe I clocked 70 hours, for me, 70 hours came as a result of a month of playing a huge game, spread thin and thus not very effective. It still hasn't fully hit me that those people are not real and there's little more to their character and what they think and say and do and want than what was written for them by actual, living people. The thing is, though, I don't mind. I felt that I truly left Inaba for good at the end of P4G. I felt that I spent valuable time with them, and I can look upon them as friends I once had upon the past (in the context of the game). I can look upon P4G as one hell of a ride, I don't need a NG+ or a replay. I'm just fine with leaving Inaba on 03/21.

Loving it so much that I'm okay with leaving it behind... That's what P4G taught me.

Skii

It is one of the most beautiful games I've ever played. I never understood the hype around the Persona series but managed to nab P4G on sale one day and that's what changed me as a gamer. I've never cared for characters like I did with Persona. It's a transformative experience.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I know that feel, but the thing is, you also happened to finish the game the same year that Persona 5 comes out and a lot of us finished the game 7 years ago and have been waiting around with nothing so I feel less bad about your sadness in finishing the game
KuGsj.gif

If you liked Persona 4, you'll like Persona 3 by the way. They're basically the same type of game down to the engine and everything. The systems aren't as evolved as they are in 4 or especially P4G, but its a very similar type of game with the Social Links and such.

AyanFaust

Banned
One of us. One of us. Nah, but really. Glad you liked it, OP. P4 is one of my absolute favorite games for a lot of the reasons poster here. Its cast is one of the best I've seen in gaming, and never more in the credits never fails to get me teary. It's a wonderful game, and I'm glad it sunk its hooks in you. Now you get to enjoy the wait for P5 with all of us here!
;-;

Remember too that there is no best girl for they are all great.
JK it's Yukiko :p

P4G's characters are some of the best in videogames period. That's why every spin off sells and draws fans in. Because you're not just dancing or playing a fighting game, you're going back to Inaba to spend time with your friends.

I know that feel, but the thing is, you also happened to finish the game the same year that Persona 5 comes out and a lot of us finished the game 7 years ago and have been waiting around with nothing so I feel less bad about your sadness in finishing the game
KuGsj.gif

If you liked Person 4, you'll like Persona 3 by the way. They're basically the same type of game down to the engine and everything. The systems aren't as evolved as they are in 4 or especially P4G, but its a very similar type of game with the Social Links and such.

I will not be able to play Persona 5 since I don't have a PS3 or PS4, so I have a few years to go to play it myself (unless we get a P5 Portable or it ends up on PS Now). Go on, laugh :(

I feel exactly the same way about this game as you do.

That ending..

You know what made it hit so hard? That time skip right before March 20th where there are snapshots of events while the main menu theme plays in the background. That really fucked my shit up.

If you liked Persona 4, you'll like Persona 3 by the way.

Not true in the slightest, because I love Persona 4, and think it's one of my top 5 games ever...but I hate Persona 3. I think the writing is not half as good, I think the dungeon design is boring as fuck, and the characters don't even have any of the charm that P4's have.

I still remember I tried playing Persona 3 when it first came out because it was suggested to me, and I just could not get into it and stopped playing it....thinking when Persona 4 came out, I wasn't even gonna bother because of how much I hated 3. If it wasn't for Giant Bomb introducing P4 to me with their endurance run, I never would've gave it a chance. Eventually I went back to P3 with new eyes hoping it would click with me, and even after finishing it...just no...still don't like it.

Skii

I will not be able to play Persona 5 since I don't have a PS3 or PS4, so I have a few years to go to play it myself (unless we get a P5 Portable or it ends up on PS Now). Go on, laugh :(

That's a shame! Persona 5 looks like it's going to be amazing with some interesting changes to the formula.

I'd suggest you play P3P but I would strongly recommend waiting around 6 months before playing it. Fatigue is a real problem with games like this and they aren't different enough to feel fresh. You need to have a break so you can properly appreciate Persona 3. Also, there are some key differences to P4G which may be hard to adjust to (no overworld & no cutscenes). It definitely affected me initially but managed to get gripped by the story anyway and now P3P is one of my favourites like P4G.

The first 3-4 hours until finishing Yukiko's dungeon, I thought my exceptions were pretty much right on the money. I didn't stop though, for whatever reason. I kept going. Then the game opened up by letting me do whatever I want in my free time.

I'm pretty sure that was the moment P4G had sunk it hooks onto me. There's something addictive about the level of freedom the game grants you, that's the only explanation I have. I somehow managed to give the game a break of a few weeks between November and December (was finishing up a couple of other stuff), I think I still thought of the game as only "pretty good" by then. The moment I picked P4G back up, I played for 3-4 hours straight.

From that day on, for a period I estimate to be around 10-14 days, I was completely immersed in Persona afterwards. I think I ended up playing 6 hours a day at one stretch (I was curious as hell about Rise so I cleared her dungeon in very few days, then I tried to initiate her S.Link, couldn't stop haha).

Pretty much exactly the same thing happened to me and i absolutely love it, by the end i just looked at the im game counter and thought how the hell did i spend that much time on the game it felt like a fraction of that time to me. P4G ended up being one my 3GOATs

Xenoflare

I invested 300+ hours and still hasn't completed a full slink run

I always forget the Young Mother link.

I loved 3 and 4, but it's really difficult to go back from 4 to 3

Tabby

I loved P4 but P3 doesn't hold a candle. The dungeons aren't as engaging, a lot of grinding, there's no story until 15-20 hours in and the cast feels more like people you work with and never your friends. It got boring waiting for a full moon for something to happen, there's never enough events in between.

Joking aside the P4G epilogue got me really emotional. It made me so happy to see actual progression from the characters especially Kanji being himself and Naoto excepting her femininity. P4 also managed to make a completely lovable and cute child character that you felt motivated to protect.

mdubs

Banned
I feel you OP, playing P4G was the closest thing I've ever had to a religious experience, like life defining stuff

Always appreciate reading how the game resonates with someone. The fact that you're the age of the characters is great. Most people who post about the game are in their twenties and look back at high school as a distant memory.

Not true in the slightest, because I love Persona 4, and think it's one of my top 5 games ever...but I hate Persona 3. I think the writing is not half as good, I think the dungeon design is boring as fuck, and the characters don't even have any of the charm that P4's have.

I still remember I tried playing Persona 3 when it first came out because it was suggested to me, and I just could not get into it and stopped playing it....thinking when Persona 4 came out, I wasn't even gonna bother because of how much I hated 3. If it wasn't for Giant Bomb introducing P4 to me with their endurance run, I never would've gave it a chance. Eventually I went back to P3 with new eyes hoping it would click with me, and even after finishing it...just no...still don't like it.

Agreed. I own P3P and P3 FES and I can't get into either of them. Persona 4/P4G stands far above its predecessor as the best of the series.

Had the same feeling after persona 3. It's one of those games that slowly draws you in and you don't realise it's over until the end. Persona 4 is a stronger game in all regards but persona 3 was my first one so I have more affection for it.

Remember too that there is no best girl for they are all great.
JK it's Yukiko :p

I'll go with Naoto. Her Christmas visit is kinda...special. I even used her in fighting because of ther dark magic spells, worked really good with golden hands.

Btw, I also loved Persona 3, despite its darker tone.

Everybody knows Rise is the Best

I echo this sentiment.

Well, I've run out of gaming budget for the time being anyways. I'll likely buy P3P soon but it'll be probably close to March until I can even play it.

Not interested in any spin-off really. P4G feels so complete in every regard I don't think I'll ever have to look back again.

I also played the game when i was 16 and it really hit me like a train cause it was around the time secondary was finishing. ;_;
I really cant wait for P5

Top three for me, absolutely. I finished my first run at 4am on a work night...stared at the final save screen for a few moments and immediately started a new game.

I envy you being able to experience the game at the age of the characters. High school is years past for me but the halo of nostalgia made P4 feel like it was yesterday.

Now you have the other P4 games! Persona Q is absolutely worth your time and Persona 4 Arena continues the story if you're into fighting games. Not having a PS3 will kind of put a damper there.

Of course, the TRUE sequel, the final story for those characters is on a system you already have. You are now ready to go Dancing All Night.

_Ryo_

Yup, great characters atmosphere. Amazing gameplay.

I still prefer persona 3 though...

Both are great games either way.

I loved P4 but P3 doesn't hold a candle. The dungeons aren't as engaging, a lot of grinding, there's no story until 15-20 hours in and the cast feels more like people you work with and never your friends. It got boring waiting for a full moon for something to happen, there's never enough events in between.
I totally agree with this. I really do still love p3 but there is a difference with the cast and this articulates it perfectly. I'd say the closest anyone felt to actually being a friend for me was Junpei

good read op!!! always love walking into a lttp/rttp thread of Persona 4 golden

I think the free time really elevates the game to another level, it captures almost everything a normal highschooler does outside school even beyond Japan, haging out at the mall. going to movies, school club actvites, etc. all of it hits you in one way or another bringing fond memories of your own academic life.

the game make you care so much for the characters; I literally flipped my shit when Nanako was kidnapped, and was fucking angry when she(supposedly) died(which lead me to the bad ending lol)

hughesta

Banned
This is absolutely intentional and the development from the characters being like co-workers to truly caring about one another is amazing. P3 is much slower than P4 (and P4 already starts pretty slow) but by the end P3 had become my favorite game of all time. I'd still recommend OP at least try it at some point.

Besides, P3 has a better soundtrack.

Xeteh

My only complaint about Persona 4 Golden is that they took Teddie who I already found to be a bit much throughout the original game and turned his annoying pervertedness up to 11 in every new Golden scene.

I was genuinely upset when I finished this game. It's tough saying goodbye. It's weird when you're playing a game alone in the dark in bed and you're laughing out lout and you have this huge grin on your face or you're getting goosebumps from a serious moment. If someone walked by and didn't get what I was doing they'd be like wtf this dude is insane.

P4G is one of the pinnacles of gaming to me. It had everything in the world that I look for in a game and explained why I play games. For you OP it must have been interesting being around the same age but for someone like me who is a lot of years past it...the whole journey had an air of sad nostalgia about it. Only made it more impactful.

I ended up asking for P4G for Christmas one year when my mom was bugging me about what I wanted because I had heard good things and ended up loving it so much I platinumed it in a week.

I absolutely do not agree with this, I have tried to start P3 three times now and just can't get into it.

On top of everything the OP says, the game has one of the best soundtracks of all time. So there's that.

Not even linking to the best track ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Honestly I'm in love with the OP, it seems generic but reflects what's so good about the game so perfectly. Shin Mitsuo Tensei was magnificent as well.

The only thing deterring me from playing P3P is the fact that there are only 2 games like this in the universe and I'm done with one of them already.

I think the free time really elevates the game to another level, it captures almost everything a normal highschooler does outside school even beyond Japan, haging out at the mall. going to movies, school club activites, etc. all of it hits you in one way or another bringing fond memories of your own academic life.

I can really relate to this, it felt like I really spent a year in Inaba and I really was returning, the game somehow managed to make it feel very heartwarming AS WELL AS making it incredibly soul-crushing which makes the ending a masterpiece. Being in the middle of highschool (third year of five here) really helped as well. One thing I couldn't really "feel" was that I've never really socialized anywhere but at school my whole life so the concept of living near your close friends is alien to me. Sounds beautiful though.

the game make you care so much for the characters; I literally flipped my shit when Nanako was kidnapped, and was fucking angry when she(supposedly) died(which lead me to the bad ending lol)

I cried during that scene too.

I normally utterly fucking loathe miraculous recoveries and such cop outs, for Nanako I didn't even care.

Don't misunderstand, I still think it'd be amazingly done if Nanako stayed dead (might be the first moment in gaming to make me cry like that, though it got surpassed by P4G's ending soon after), but it's incredible how much relief even getting it spoiled (after going through the part where she's thought dead without spoilers) made me feel.

Also, I'd like to hear opinions on this:
IMHO the only significant flaw the game had was that the main story moved goalposts a bit too many times. "Mitsuo is the culprit... No wait, NAMATAME is the culprit... Oooooh, so it was Adachi all along, I see... SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKER IZANAMI IS HERE", it didn't feel very compelling really. Every single reveal felt like the game was just doing another trick- it all felt hollow for me. I didn't really enjoy the mystery.

I didn't like the overall mystery, but as a person who thinks that games' gameplay can be less important than their story if done properly, and that in any game with a story the story is more important than gameplay, Persona still made me realize that it wasn't the plot that always needs to be good (though it can be argued that good cast counts as good story in this case).

Game's still in the top 10, maybe top 5.

AyanFaust

Banned
I normally utterly fucking loathe miraculous recoveries and such cop outs, for Nanako I didn't even care.

Don't misunderstand, I still think it'd be amazingly done if Nanako stayed dead (might be the first moment in gaming to make me cry like that, though it got surpassed by P4G's ending soon after), but it's incredible how much relief even getting it spoiled (after going through the part where she's thought dead without spoilers) made me feel.

Also, I'd like to hear opinions on this:
IMHO the only significant flaw the game had was that the main story moved goalposts a bit too many times. "Mitsuo is the culprit... No wait, NAMATAME is the culprit... Oooooh, so it was Adachi all along, I see... SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKER IZANAMI IS HERE", it didn't feel very compelling really. Every single reveal felt like the game was just doing another trick- it all felt hollow for me. I didn't really enjoy the mystery.

I didn't like the overall mystery, but as a person who thinks that games' gameplay can be less important than their story if done properly, and that in any game with a story the story is more important than gameplay, Persona still made me realize that it wasn't the plot that always needs to be good (though it can be argued that good cast counts as good story in this case).

Game's still in the top 10, maybe top 5.

Honestly, more to shouldn't count. It was beyond obvious he wasn't the killer, so I wouldn't count that. Granted the last three still count. For the namayame to adachi, I didn't mind at all since I thought it fit so well and it was great seeing one of your social links (in golden at least) be the culprit. (his later social links are so great they should be mandatory imo). The izanami thing is a little sigh inducing but it does explain the left over mysteries, and it was interesting that it was one of the first random side characters who is the big bad.

Tl;dr: it's derpy that the main villain keeps changing, but it all made sense in the context, so I was able to roll with it and ended up enjoying it for the most part.

Draxyle

Neo Member
My only complaint about Persona 4 Golden is that they took Teddie who I already found to be a bit much throughout the original game and turned his annoying pervertedness up to 11 in every new Golden scene.

Yea, that was my biggest problem with Golden. So many of the new scenes flanderized the characters in offputting ways (and did we really need yet another pervy hot springs scene).

Still, the epilogue, (some) of the final Marie stuff, and the millions of small details and improvements made the Golden additions worth it.

I played Persona 4 Golden last year and it quickly became my favorite game of all time. Truly a life changing experience.

And OP, go play Persona 4 Dancing All Night. It's great!

I believe the always changing culprit fit in with the core theme of the game, which was seeking out to the truth. The final confrontation with Izanami was the culmination of your desire to find out what was really going on and stop it justly, as in oppose to accepting whatever lie would give you closure.Izanami and Adachi were actively trying to obscure the truth and give easy closure. It's up to you to cut thru the lies and false and Reach out to the Truthto get the real ending.

Ogawa-san

I ended up asking for P4G for Christmas one year when my mom was bugging me about what I wanted because I had heard good things and ended up loving it so much I platinumed it in a week.
P4 is the best game I won't platinum. Rushing through it again with a guide in tow is a disservice, it'd spoil all the fun I had with it.

Yea, that was my biggest problem with Golden. So many of the new scenes flanderized the characters in offputting ways (and did we really need yet another pervy hot springs scene).

Still, the epilogue, (some) of the final Marie stuff, and the millions of small details and improvements made the Golden additions worth it.

I actually enjoyed Teddie's perviness since it was just always funny. Same goes for most animated cutscenes, but then again I'm not too bothered by fan service anyways so that didn't annoy me whatsoever.

I believe the always changing culprit fit in with the core theme of the game, which was seeking out to the truth. The final confrontation with Izanami was the culmination of your desire to find out what was really going on and stop it justly, as in oppose to accepting whatever lie would give you closure.Izanami and Adachi were actively trying to obscure the truth and give easy closure. It's up to you to cut thru the lies and false and Reach out to the Truthto get the real ending.

I guess that's a nice way to look at it. I do have another nitpick though: You'd expect Izanami to react to Izanagi-no-Okami's appearance in some way given their tragic tale of separated lovers.

This is absolutely intentional and the development from the characters being like co-workers to truly caring about one another is amazing. P3 is much slower than P4 (and P4 already starts pretty slow) but by the end P3 had become my favorite game of all time. I'd still recommend OP at least try it at some point.

Besides, P3 has a better soundtrack.

Yeah, this is party why I prefer 3. Both are really good though. Could have done without some of the added material in Golden though.

Question:

How much story stuff am I missing out on if I don't play Arena/Arena 2/Dancing All Night?

EDIT: Not a fan of Fighting games and Rhythm games.

marzlapin

Question:

How much story stuff am I missing out on if I don't play Arena/Arena 2/Dancing All Night?

I've only played Dancing All Night, but it's a totally self-contained side story. It doesn't tie into Persona 4's story at all aside from featuring the cast.

Damn, reading that almost got me a tear in my eye :p

Question:

Don't know about P4DAN, but I've liked P4A's story. Labrys is an interesting character, her story is kinda sad too. But you don't miss out any important stuff, while it's the following of P4 it's nowhere near P4 level story wise.
I didn't like P4AU's story, I still need to do the P3 side and Adachi's arc. But it wasn't interesting and they didn't make good use of the new character.

By the way, even if you don't like fighting games you can play the story without a lot of fights. You can even turn the difficulty to easy to make 30sec fights. Or you can watch it on Youtube :p

I really wanted to get into this game and enjoy it like so many other people do, however after about 30 hours, I gave up. Disclaimer - the only JRPG I'd ever played in the past was Pokemon.

I found the day to day activities to be mentally straining, as I wasn't sure what I was "supposed" to be doing in order to succeed. Also, the 10 layers of what was seemingly copy pasted dungeons also put me to sleep. I felt like I was forced to grind, or I just wasn't good enough, because I would fail boss battles multiple times. (Teddie took like at least 15 attempts) - and that was on Normal.

The persona fusing system also made little sense to me, as I was never sure what I was supposed to be fusing my persona's into other than the highest leveled ones I could control at the time.

I'm in the minority of people who weren't able to appreciate this game, but really wanted to. Is there any help for my soul? I'd be willing to give the game another go, but I feel like reading a guide would be ruining any type of experience that I am trying to achieve.

bwakh

Agreed. Persona 4 is such an amazing ride. I loved the friendship theme and the group taking it upon themselves to solve this crazy mystery. Cloudy Inaba also has the best soundtrack.

But to whoever says P3 is way behind P4 is wrong. P3 was an amazing game in its own right. The dark tone was very well done and the scale was a bit more epic, but it still managed to have great characters and relationships. OP give P3 a chance. Tell me you aren't interested when you see that title screen and hear that music

Edit: Oh and I have a hard time deciding which had the better ending of the two games! P3's had me staring at the screen until all credits rolled and the menu was back on.

Top Bottom