• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden has shipped 700k, Dragon's Crown 800k Worldwide

jurgen

I figure this is as good a place as any to ask:

I just picked up a Vita with the Amazon Black Friday bundle. Everyone raves about this game but I'm hesitant to pick it up. I like the combat, leveling, stat management, etc of JRPGs but can barely bring myself to tolerate the immature melodrama of its plots and characters.

Considering how much the social sim aspects of this game affect the other parts, am I in for some suffering or will I be able to power through it?

george_us

Holy shit just Persona 4 Golden shipped 700k? That's not including the original Persona 4? Congrats to Atlus!

Also great to hear Dragon's Crown doing well. Would of been my GOTY if not for Grand Theft Auto V and Super Mario 3D World. I'm secretly hoping we get a PS4 port of Dragon's Crown so I can triple dip.

I hear it sold pretty poorly actually(Which is well enough for Atlus to make a profit nonetheless). A shame, because SMT in general is pretty good.

LPxN2.jpg

You motherfuckers.

jaxword

I just picked up a Vita with the Amazon Black Friday bundle. Everyone raves about this game but I'm hesitant to pick it up. I like the combat, leveling, stat management, etc of JRPGs but can barely bring myself to tolerate the immature melodrama of its plots and characters.

Considering how much the social sim aspects of this game affect the other parts, am I in for some suffering or will I be able to power through it?

You could power through the social sims parts, but, really, that's like skipping all the story and cutscenes in a Final Fantasy. Why play it at all? Play Dragon Quest for low-story, high-grinding/fighting.

Persona 4's engine uses social links as part of grinding. So, in a way, you'll make the game harder for yourself if you avoided them. Or just put them on auto-dialogue I guess.

I'll say this: I can't stand the melodrama, cliché, and broadly painted characters of some anime and JRPGs (boy was I into them a decade ago!), but Persona 4's cast is so endearing that it makes up for any lapses in that department--easily.

There will definitely be some moments that make you cringe, I'm warning you now, (mostly involving Teddy) but the nature of the game and shear breadth of interactions with these characters makes you feel incredibly close to them all. You literally live out each individual day as this character (give or take) and the repetition and familiarity pulls you into this character's life in a way unlike anything else I've experienced.

I honestly felt like I was saying goodbye to friends when I beat the game.

I'm glad that I contributed to 2 P4G sales and 1 Dragons Crown sale. Good for you Atlus. This should be a clear message to Japanese devs, good games will sell. Not that iOS crap.

Unless you just really hate anything even resembling social sim, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with Persona 4. There isn't really any melodrama at all; it's not really trying to be over-the-top, in-your-face anime. The plot is pretty straightforward with some fun twists and is littered likable and relatable characters, and the localization is pretty damn great too IMO, in that the dialogue feels natural, charming, and not at all clunky.

You won't be saving world from oversized carrots here for sure if that's what you meant ;)

Top Bottom