• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 delayed to Summer 2016 for PS3/PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flandy

Could be as short as 7,5 months, as summer in Japan starts in May.

Let's positive thinking!

wut
Summer starts on the Summer Solstice which always occurs around late June in the Northern Hemisphere. How does it move up a month in Japan? :p

orochi91

Could be as short as 7,5 months, as summer in Japan starts in May.

Let's positive thinking!

Ughhhhh, fine :(

• Atlus ownership changed hands from a corrupt Index corporation to Sega.
  • The brunt of Persona 4: Dancing All Night development shifted from Dingo to P Studio due to unknown issues.
  • Persona 5 was first announced as a PS3 game and then as a PS4 game later on, so platform decisions and changes were probably a factor.
That's some of it.

Fair points, those seem like pretty legit reasons.

Time to tweak the countdown calendar, I guess.

Pachimari

I'm okay with the delay. Gives me more time for other games I'm currently playing, like Final Fantasy XIV, DriveClub and I just ordered Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remastered. I'll be fine, but Atlus' communication have been aweful, no denying that.

FluxWaveZ

I don't really see why. FFXV has much more to prove than P5 does.

Persona 5 definitely has to come out before FFXV to do as well as it ever could. I don't think Atlus should have much to fear regarding that, though, heh.

I get the delay but, really, the sooner this game comes, the better it will do. It's the P4G effect: home consoles and, specifically, the PS4 are just lacking these sorts of games. The word of mouth will spread like wildfire if it gets to stand tall on current generation platforms.

artsi

wut
Summer starts on the Summer Solstice which always occurs around late June in the Northern Hemisphere. How does it move up a month in Japan? :p

I don't know myself why, but that's just what Japanese have decided for some reason.

6rf2Eok.png

• Atlus ownership changed hands from a corrupt Index corporation to Sega.
  • The brunt of Persona 4: Dancing All Night development shifted from Dingo to P Studio due to unknown issues.
  • Persona 5 was first announced as a PS3 game and then as a PS4 game later on, so platform decisions and changes were probably a factor.
That's some of it.

They should have canned Dancing All Night and focused on P5. At the very least dump Dancing All Night until after P5 was out, imo.

Lynx_7

I'm disappointed, but I guess I should be glad that now I won't have to divide my time between Fallout 4, Xenoblade X and P5 simultaneously.

Oh well, at least I get to choose another game to buy this year. Maybe UC Collection or whatever.

Go_Ly_Dow

Persona 5 is a Summer game (perhaps early as May?)

XV will be Fall/Winter. (August at the earliest).

It's a non issue really.

Ray Down

Banned
But it will still steal all of the limelight simply because it's a brand new mainline FF game.

Yup, although I doubt they will launch around each other(Hopefully P5 is two months away or so from FF 15 launch) it would be in there best case to launch ahead in the US.

Reminds me of the time Tales of Abyss came out around the same time as FF 12 and got crushed, thought I doubt if they were launched around each other it would be as bad.

lewisgone

I don't mind at all really, but I live in Europe so was already expecting to be playing Persona 5 later in 2016. I hope the delay is giving Atlus time to line up the release dates a little better, but who knows.

I cannot see Final Fantasy XV coming out before November, so I don't think release date matters on that front.

yuuki

Yup, although I doubt they will launch around each other(Hopefully P5 is two months away or so from FF 15 launch) it would be in there best case to launch ahead in the US.

Reminds me of the time Tales of Abyss came out around the same time as FF 12 and got crushed, thought I doubt if they were launched around each other it would be as bad.
they have to be ahead or later then it in any region.
Square Enix confrimed that FF 15 will release WW on the same day.

Ray Down

Banned
they have to be ahead or later then it in any region.
Square Enix confrimed that FF 15 will release WW on the same day.

They haven't confirmed it yet, but with all the talks about it from Tabata and Trollmoto its most likely going to happen.

I can't imagine what would stop them(if those more info savoy about stuff like this could give some insights that be great) and if any JRPG would get a simultaneous release it would be FF or KH.

Krabboss

There was really never any chance this was going to release in 2015. In fact, until I checked its vague 2015 release date a couple weeks ago, I had just assumed the game was releasing in 2016.

FluxWaveZ

Dancing All Night had absolutely nothing to do with the development of P5. They're completely different studios.

P Studio developed Persona 4: Dancing All Night (backed by Dingo after assuming primary development on the project), which is the same studio which is developing Persona 5.

yuuki

They haven't confirmed it yet, but with all the talks about it from Tabata and Trollmoto its most likely going to happen.

I can't imagine what would stop them(if those more info savoy about stuff like this could give some insights that be great) and if any JRPG would get a simultaneous release it would be FF or KH.

he outright confrimed it pax.
he said for the first time in the franchise history, the latest installment will arrive in different regions across the globe simultaneously. Fans will not experience any delay before they can get their hands on the game as compared to the main predecessor.

Kozmos

I really hope that since it seems like they'll be spending most of the delay on polish, it will allow for localization to start earlier and have the release between Japan and NA be much smaller than usual.

I can dream.

StereoVsn

Why would I care about your PS4? I don't own one either.

You voiced your opinion, I voiced mine. Is that difficult to understand?

Eh, they don't run absolutely fine as there are still issues with shadows in the engine. At least as of a few months ago. Otherwise, yes, they run pretty well.

like fuck man

this was the only game I was REALLY excited to play this year and atlus kept saying 2015,2015,2015 so i thought it was releasing for sure this year

daegan

the problem is that FF 15 mostlikely gonna be an huge ass games and will bind many rpg players to it for an while.

That's...not really Atlus' problem, nor does it mean that it would hurt sales of one or the other.

Persona 5 definitely has to come out before FFXV to do as well as it ever could. I don't think Atlus should have much to fear regarding that, though, heh.

I get the delay but, really, the sooner this game comes, the better it will do. It's the P4G effect: home consoles and, specifically, the PS4 are just lacking these sorts of games. The word of mouth will spread like wildfire if it gets to stand tall on current generation platforms.

FFXV will expand the potential PS4 base for the game particularly in Japan; while some people would buy the PS4 for P5 if it was exclusive, many WILL buy a PS4 for FFXV and then be willing to look at the PS4 version of the game. Or they might just buy it for the PS3 they already own - especially if FFXV doesn't get positive word-of-mouth. Either way, the audiences overlap quite a bit, but people will open their wallets if the games are good.

But it will still steal all of the limelight simply because it's a brand new mainline FF game.

Square Enix definitely has more marketing dollars, but Persona has the hearts and minds of the kinds of people who talk openly about the games they're excited for. I'm really looking forward to FFXV, but I know many longtime fans are already soured on it either from the development process or just the long wait. Brand awareness and loyalty for Final Fantasy is possibly the lowest it has ever been; Persona is at its all-time peak right now. That's not to say that Final Fantasy doesn't still count many more fans, but if the buzz is right Persona will do well regardless, even if they release on each others' doorstep.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Why would I care about your PS4? I don't own one either.

You voiced your opinion, I voiced mine. Is that difficult to understand?

You responded to me to begin with. And also, your talking for everyone as if they don't want remasters of those games because you don't because of your precious PC. Get off that high horse of yours.

Can someone get on a Hardin "I know it was you Fredo" gif please? All in good fun of course, but man, this delay feels like a kick in the gut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom