• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 New Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
I kinda liked Marie because we all know that girl in real life. Sure, she's absolutely inessential to the experience but I didn't mind having her around.

PSTV is an option, too. Its a non-mobile Vita, basically. Not very expensive, either.

If you aren't able to, vanilla p4 is fine. There are a bunch of people in the persona community thread who skipped golden because they played the original

but as mentioned, playstation tv is also an option if you really want to go for persona 4 golden.

So many options....Thanks for the tips, looking forward to become a Persona Fan :D

Shutupstupidihateyou

image.php

FluxWaveZ

I was mostly joking, but aren't they supposed to be third years this time around not second. Also no one else we've seen is wearing a numbered pin.

Who said they were third years? And are you sure no one else is wearing a numbered pin; I haven't paid attention to that.

Edit: Looking at the classroom scene, I bet the standard uniform has them.

BriGuy

Totally pulling this out of my ass, but the trailer gives me the impression that these characters are fairly immature. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that they accidentally stumbled upon their powers and are using them irresponsibly, like teenagers with super powers and a lack of guidance would be wont to do. Maybe they fuck up big time early in the game and then spend the rest of it trying to set things right.

Or maybe I just described Persona 6. Either way, I can't wait to get my hands on this.

Taken from the Ign rewind (Which you guys should watch) "Everytime the MC steps, there is blood" and the significance of blood (Like on his hands) makes me think that he could still be Wrath.

You know this morning I would've thought the same but now I'am starting to think this may not be true. A lot has changed since persona 4 and Atlus has done a lot of work linking P3 and P4's canon. So it may not be too far fetched to think they won't due the same. Obviously P5 will be self contained but the possibility of there being a lot of links to past games isn't as slim as we might think.

I would expect some cameos similar to Chihiro or Tanaka in Persona 4, but probably nothing massive in terms of the story. They'll want it to stand on its own, and not have the older characters showing up and upstaging things.

What will definitely happen though is Persona Q2 featuring the Persona 5 cast, and Persona 5 Arena.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Who said they were third years? And are you sure no one else is wearing a numbered pin; I haven't paid attention to that.

Edit: Looking at the classroom scene, I bet the standard uniform has them.

Yeah you're probably right. Funny/silly they would need a pin to tell which grade or possibly room they are in. Though might make sense if they're a delinquent school.

Korigama

P4AU SPOILERS
And maybe Kikuno Saikawa. I'm not sure if she's an actual member or not. The thing is Aigis is #5, and that was before Labryus joined. So assuming Akihiko is/was #2 - #4 were are still missing at least 2 full time shadow operatives members.
Kikuno was indeed considered a member of the Shadow Operatives. However, she was the only one among them who couldn't use a Persona (just had the Potential)
. Either way, I found it endlessly amusing that
they designated Aigis as #5

Golden adds months to the content, a lot of new events, costumes, new music, gameplay changes, a new epilogue, a bunch of extra content unrelated to the game, two new social links, online functionality, and a lot more.

It is a significant amount more. It is recommended, but not required.

Persona 4 on psn is 10 bucks. If you buy Golden and a playstation tv without waiting for a sale it's nine-twelve times that price

Maybe he should play 3 first, and if he gets into it he can go all out on persona 4 golden

For those of you talking about the 2 on his collar, just for some context, a lot of junior highs and high schools here have students wear tags on their chests that have their name, grade, and class on them.

This is actually a much more stylish alternative. lol

PK Gaming

P2 hasn't aged that badly. The dungeon design is a bit unforgiving and the game is balls to the wall hard but battle system, menus etc are all straightforward stuff.

Dude, Persona 2: Innocent Sin is one of the easiest games I have ever played.

We're talking "I don't need to use Dia spells until the 10 hour mark" easy. Sure, the PSP port was made significantly easier than the original, but even then it's not like you couldn't cheese the original with Fusion Spells. And with 5 playable characters and low-cost healing spells, it was pretty much impossible to get wiped.

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment is a lot harder, but it's more tedious than challenging.

The Persona 2 games were a lot more forgiving than P3/P4(vanilla). The protagonist's death doesn't equal a game over, and you can save at any point during a dungeon.

Xeteh

We're talking "I don't need to use Dia spells until the 10 hour mark" easy. Sure, the PSP port was made significantly easier than the original, but even then it's not like you couldn't cheese the original with Fusion Spells. And with 5 playable characters and low-cost healing spells, it was pretty much impossible to get wiped.

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment is a lot harder, but it's more tedious than challenging.

The Persona 2 games were a lot more forgiving than P3/P4(vanilla). The protagonist's death doesn't equal a game over, and you can save at any point during a dungeon.

I have yet to play Innocent Sin so I can't comment on that but I felt like Eternal Punishment did a really poor job of explaining the mechanics. I ended up using a guide to go through the game and I was really happy I did because even knowing how to navigate certain dungeons the encounter rate was driving me insane.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member

I can confirm this, but I'm currently at the 6 hour mark and have used Dia quite often. And I don't think I'm being bad at the game since I got through some of the harder SMT games just fine. But yeah, I was never close to dying in P2:IS, but since SP regenerates automatically in that game I just go wild with spells, including Dia. It's kinda nuts that SP regenerates.

How long are Persona games usually, for someone who isn't familiar with them? Do they incorporate sidequests or is there mostly one straight directed path?

Yeah, Innocent Sin is really easy. Honestly, the only 'hard' parts about Innocent Sin were the times that I would go through one of the mini-boss/story rooms in a dungeon, have the camera perspective change, walk out the same way I came in, and spend like five minutes going the wrong way before I realized I was backtracking by mistake.

The battles were all incredibly easy. Just about every boss could be beaten easily, even if you were running from 90% of battles in the game.

How long are Persona games usually, for someone who isn't familiar with them? Do they incorporate sidequests or is there mostly one straight directed path?

Persona 2 (I'm assuming 1 was similar) was around 40 hours, fairly standard.

3 and 4 are mammoth games. 3 took me over 100 hours and 4 about 85 hours. 4 was my first game in the series, so I'd say that's a decent time for someone who isn't familiar with them.

It's mostly a directed path; the side content comes mostly from how you spend your free time (social links can sort of function like side quests). There are some stand alone side quests, but most of them are fairly basic.

PK Gaming

I have yet to play Innocent Sin so I can't comment on that but I felt like Eternal Punishment did a really poor job of explaining the mechanics. I ended up using a guide to go through the game and I was really happy I did because even knowing how to navigate certain dungeons the encounter rate was driving me insane.

Yeah, it was a real pain to play through. Personas were very expensive, and you always needed to upgrade (unlike in IS, were you could get through with your base Personas), so there was constant grinding. Did the underwater sea ruins temporarily make you lose your sanity? High random encounters + pits that dropped you to the beginning of the dungeon = pure despair.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member

The newer, more popular ones, can go like 70h to 100h. You get some value for your money with those games. I heard P2 is around 40h, which is still long.

But yeah, they are a significant time investment, that's for sure. Totally worth it, though.

Edit: I'm not sure how common this experience is, but with my normal dayjob and University I can't play these games for very long stretches. Instead, I play them for like 2h or so every few days, meaning that I played through P4 over the course of like 3 months which is kinda awesome since it becomes part of your daily life for a certain time. Makes it a little special.

3 & 4 are both around 60 hrs. Mostly one straight path.

It's different for each person, but it's usually around 80-120 hours. The are quests you can do, but they are not mandatory.

The newer, more popular ones, can go like 70h to 100h. You get some value for your money with those games. I heard P2 is around 40h, which is still long.

But yeah, they are a significant time investment, that's for sure. Totally worth it, though.
Holy crap...and the story manages to stay engaging for that long? Super impressive...

FluxWaveZ

Persona 3 FES - The Journey (main story) - 70 - 100 hours
Persona 3 FES - The Answer (epilogue story) - 20 hours
Persona 3 Portable - 50 - 80 hours

Persona 4 - 60 - 90 hours
Persona 4 Golden - 70 - 100 hours

Persona 1 and Persona 2 are shorter games that take 20-40 hours each.

The games incorporate side quests, but they are not very significant. Saying there's one straight, directed path isn't really accurate despite the lack of major side quests, because Persona 3 and Persona 4 are all about creating one's own schedule.

FluxWaveZ

It's not the story that's engaging. It's the characters. Every Persona game has an amazing cast of characters. At least imo.

Well, the story's engaging too. I preferred Persona 3's to Persona 4's, but it's not like the only thing that engaged me were the characters and not the plot.

Mailbox

for persona 3/4? if you play it w/o rushing through it, probably 80-120 hours.

Its never drags too much though, its structured in a way that can be spent either in long intervals or in short bursts. I love that about persona games.

I suspect this one will be the same length.

Well, the story's engaging too. I preferred Persona 3's to Persona 4's, but it's not like the only thing that engaged me were the characters and not the plot.

Yeah, I phrased that badly. What I meant was that I found the characters to be more engaging then the story. Still, the stories themselves are interesting. Especially P2's.

zeromcd73

Holy crap...and the story manages to stay engaging for that long? Super impressive...
They certainly do. It's like living a whole other life that you don't want to leave from. Characters are by far the best part.

I cried at the end of Persona 4 purely because it had ended.

Both persona games take like 60 hours, without rushing. I have no idea how you could take 80+ hours unless you are slow at navigating dungeons or something.

I spent 110-120 in P4G and didn't 100% it or anything. You could easily spend just 70-80 though if you choose to blaze through. I never wanted it to end though.

It's the only game of that length that continued to be narratively engaging throughout. You're living everyday with these kids in this town. It's hard to explain without playing it, but trust me Shinobi, it's unlike anything else.

They certainly do. It's like living a whole other life that you don't want to leave from. Characters are by far the best part.

I cried at the end of Persona 4 purely because it had ended.

Yes. This. You've captured my meaning precisely.

jackdoe

Both persona games take like 60 hours, without rushing. I have no idea how you could take 80+ hours unless you are slow at navigating dungeons or something.
If you play on the harder difficulties, I can see it taking that long. If you put options that decrease experience and money gains from enemies, grinding takes a lot longer. And if you ramp up enemy health and decrease your damage output, some bosses can take nearly an hour to beat.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member

I just checked HowLongToBeat on P4G. Look at the difference between regular playthroughs and completionist ones, it almost doubles from ~70h to ~134h. There's a lot you can do apart from just moving from day to day, dungeon to dungeon.

I've only played the original P4. Honestly I just don't how an initial playthrough could take that long lol. P3 took me 66, and P4 had to be less than that I think.

FluxWaveZ

I've only played the original P4. Honestly I just don't how an initial playthrough could take that long lol. P3 took me 66, and P4 had to be less than that I think.

If this isn't P3P, there's no way you weren't just mainlining it, for the most part. Unless you were playing on Easy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom