• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Preview Thread

I get the feeling I'd be spoiled by youtube recommendations all over the place, so right now I'm all for the block. I do hope it's lifted later on though.

It's an incredibly stupid policy, and it pails in comparison to the restrictions Rocksteady put in to prevent spoilers to Arkham Knight. Besides, those who would want to spoil are not deterred. Most of them have capture cards, or they'll use their phones. So guess what? You've screwed over anyone else who wants to take a clip or photo of a weird glitch, a high score, what have you.

And I doubt it gets lifted.

cj_iwakura

Not gonna lie - although I am probably going the PS4 route, I was seriously considering the PS3 version at one point as a sort of "last hurrah" for my PS3, just like vanilla P4 was a last hurrah for my PS2.
Exactly why I'm getting the PS3 version.

Spoiler-non-spoiler on the non-joke hardest part of the game

One of the in game video games you play for the trophy (Blood something, I forgot the name at this point) is ridiculously hard.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Spoiler-non-spoiler on the non-joke hardest part of the game

One of the in game video games you play for the trophy (Blood something, I forgot the name at this point) is ridiculously hard.

I know exactly the one you mean. That gave me a tonne of trouble too.

Not even 3 months in and 2017 is already looking like it'll be one of the most awesome years in gaming ever. Especially when it comes to what Japanese devs have been cranking out. Can't wait to finally get ahold of P5.

sasliquid

Better in every god damn way (so far). Even when i'm not playing, it's hard to get the game out of my head. It's been a long time since a video game has done that.

I'm sorry but I refuse to acknowledge that's even possible. Persona 4 is my second favourite game of all time. If I feel as strongly about 1 P5 character as I did about Kanji/Yukiko/Yosuke I'll be pleasently surprised

I'm sorry but I refuse to acknowledge that's even possible. Persona 4 is my second favourite game of all time. If I feel as strongly about 1 P5 character as I did about Kanji/Yukiko/Yosuke I'll be pleasently surprised

Well, a person's favourite Persona title varies from person to person! I've played from P2-4 before this one, I never thought one was "better" than the other. It all comes down to preference. I loved P4, but preferred P3 in almost all aspects.

The cast in P4 is very likeable, but also very naive. The characters in Persona 5 so far have felt much more grounded, real, better written, and just more likeable. The game deals with some really dark themes. The situations the characters are put through are much more "mature" than 4's. I think the Phantom Thieves will be far more relatable to people than the Scooby- Doo's cast of P4, and P3's save the world's cast.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Does anyone know how the game plays via Remote Play? For instance, is the text big enough?

I'm going to miss not being able to play it everywhere like P4G and P3P.

ckohler

I'm debating between English or Japanese voice tracks. Usually I would go with English but since everything has text bubbles, playing with Japanese voices is possible.

Also, does anyone know if the anime cut-scenes will be available in Japanese (with English subtitles) in the US release?

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm debating between English or Japanese voice tracks. Usually I would go with English but since everything has text bubbles, playing with Japanese voices is possible.

Also, does anyone know if the anime cut-scenes will be available in Japanese (with English subtitles) in the US release?

The subtitles for anime cutscenes in the Japanese version are done by the engine, not hardcoded onto the cutscenes, so Atlus USA shouldn't have any difficulty getting them to use the Japanese audio and keep the English subtitles. Given how they've been touting dual audio as a proper feature and not just offhandedly stating it to be one of the audio options like most other localization publishers, I'd be shocked (and disappointed) if the entire game doesn't have the full Japanese audio track for everything.

sasliquid

Well, a person's favourite Persona title varies from person to person! I've played from P2-4 before this one, I never thought one was "better" than the other. It all comes down to preference. I loved P4, but preferred P3 in almost all aspects.

The cast in P4 is very likeable, but also very naive. The characters in Persona 5 so far have felt much more grounded, real, better written, and just more likeable. The game deals with some really dark themes. The situations the characters are put through are much more "mature" than 4's. I think the Phantom Thieves will be far more relatable to people than the Scooby- Doo's cast of P4, and P3's save the world's cast.

Thanks for the answer, I mean I love P4 and found P3 to be weaker in most aspects but I also feel it was partly to do with the time I played it in my life. I can't honestly expect P5 to impact me like P4 did.

Also, and please spoiler tag the answer, are there any non-heterosexual romance options? I don't expect there to be because Japan but it would be nice

silva1991

Better in every god damn way (so far). Even when i'm not playing, it's hard to get the game out of my head. It's been a long time since a video game has done that.

Better than Persona 4 characters is an achievement and hard to believe.

I hope I will share the same opinion in a month.

I'm only expecting it to be better than 3.

Nachos

The subtitles for anime cutscenes in the Japanese version are done by the engine, not hardcoded onto the cutscenes, so Atlus USA shouldn't have any difficulty getting them to use the Japanese audio and keep the English subtitles. Given how they've been touting dual audio as a proper feature and not just offhandedly stating it to be one of the audio options like most other localization publishers, I'd be shocked (and disappointed) if the entire game doesn't have the full Japanese audio track for everything.

Yeah, when the game was first getting mined, all the cutscenes had no audio, meaning that the engine likely handles that on top of the subtitles. It should be able to switch things pretty easily.

a916

I got it on my first playthrough without even being aware that it was there. It's much easier than the P4 equivalent.

You can get it on your first playthrough on difficulties above Easy, as long as you rotate your party members (and you'll have to on harder difficulties).

Like Dantis I got it on my playthrough without going for it, the requirements are the same but it just seems far easier to get this time around

Thanks everyone!

Matsukaze

P4G is my favorite game of all time.

I've seen the feedback from those who have played the Japanese version and the consensus indicates this is even better than P4G.

Thus, I am one excited dude knowing P5 is quite likely going to be my new #1. April 4th cannot get here soon enough.

StereoVsn

I've seen the feedback from those who have played the Japanese version and the consensus indicates this is even better than P4G.

Thus, I am one excited dude knowing P5 is quite likely going to be my new #1. April 4th cannot get here soon enough.
I felt that he characters in P4G, the writing and the amazing VA and localization made that game so good. So far I am not feeling the VA or localization aspects but Japanese voices should help in that regard at least if English VA does turn out sub-par.

Dierce

I felt that he characters in P4G, the writing and the amazing VA and localization made that game so good. So far I am not feeling the VA or localization aspects but Japanese voices should help in that regard at least if English VA does turn out sub-par.
I agree. Looks like ATLUS cheaped out with the english voice actors this time.

Nyx

Never played a Persona game but the first vids of this one made me want it. The turnbased battles with summons sound great too as I've always loved turnbased combat in RPGs.

Nightbird

P4G turned Persona from "series i'm mildly interested in" to "one of my favorite Franchises"

It's one of the best experiences i ever had in gaming yet, so hearing that P5 will top this gets my hype for this game in overdrive.

I might not come online very often once that game is out

Does anyone have access to a good album/gallery of Persona 5 character images/screenshots where I won't have to worry about spoilers? Looking primarily for full-body PNGs, screenshots, and high quality gifs.

Kensation

efoMq3b.gif

Crazyorloco

"In the wake of Breath of the Wild turning out to be one of the greatest video games ever made, I have some bad news for your time and wallet: Persona 5 might be up there, too."

Holy crap. This year has been crazy for games.

Lunar15

Phil Kollar at Polygon put up his preview: http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/14/14910180/persona-5-pre-review-atlus-ps4-playstation-4-3-ps3-20-hours-gameplay-preview-impressions-hands-on

I've now spent 20 hours with a final version of the game, making my way about two months into the game's story and midway through its second dungeon. And despite going in with sky high expectations — perhaps higher than any game I've reviewed previously — so far I am head over heels with the follow-up that developer Atlus has created.

P4G is quite possibly my favorite game of all time, up there with SSBM, OOT, UC2 and Conkers Bad Fury Day.

I think P5 is single handily better than P4G in pretty much every way but then again there are things that people may disagree with that are ultimately subjective.

Dungeons>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

Absolutely no argument here. P5 dungeons are actually dungeons, and not mazes.

Gameplay>>>>>>>>>>> The gameplay systems in battle/dungeons are superior nuff said.

Social LInk system>>>>>>> It's more than just arcana boosts.

Music<><><><><P4G
The music in P5 is amazing but it's a different sort of amazing. It's not J pop happy tunes but a nice guitar, jazz type OST. The battle theme is way better imo. Only songs in P4G I feel still are GOAT are heart break and the other song that plays during after school.

Darkman M

This has to the best year for gaming since 1998, if Red Dead makes it this year this might be the best year ever for gaming.

Hung_real

This has to the best year for gaming since 1998, if Red Dead makes it this year this might be the best year ever for gaming.

GT Sport, Kingdom Come, Divinity OS II, Detroit, Mario Odyssey, Ace Combat 7, YS 8, State of Decay 2

i dont give a damn about comparisons with early 2000, for me 2017 will be the year to remember

robotrock

Banned
I can't wait for this game. I can't.

Also, any impressions on the dub in any of these previews? I had zero issues with the 4 Golden, 4, and 3 dub, so just wondering if I'll be getting a similar experience here. I've avoided every English trailer so far.

AndersK

My boss just gave me extra easter leave, so i got 11 days from the 7th. From the 4th till the 7th? Everything was work. Uuuuuuuurgh

Top Bottom