• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 was the #1 most downloaded game at the US PS Store in April, #13 in EU

YaBish

Wow, that's really impressive. Congrats to Atlus, and here's to hopefully not waiting 10 years for a sequel.

I bought the premium physical copy (had to have that Morgana plush) but also double dipped on a digital copy for convenience and remote play on my PC and Vita.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Its not just Japan anymore. The whole worlds waiting to see the Phantom Thieves next move.

Someone steal EU's heart.

Its not just Japan anymore. The whole worlds waiting to see the Phantom Thieves next move.

Ok I am going to be honest: I heard of the series for the longest time, but the Giant Bomb Endurance Run of Persona 4 got me really into it (going to go back to P4G after I finish P5). I am wondering if it was the same for a deal of folk in the west when it came to Persona 5.

Unknown?

It debuted higher than Horizon
clap3.gif
Doesn't mean it sold more though... Anyway good news it at least did well on the digital front. Hopefully it does 3M ltd.

Miracle

While all this praise is awesome and well deserved for persona 5, I still think Atlus dropped the ball a bit with the release and marketing. With a worldwide release (or at least, Japan/NA releasing at the same time) and more advertising, I think it could have been close to or as big as FF7.

But with that said, this is great news for one of my favorite franchises.

Nice! Wish it was higher in Europe though. I did my part. Only being in english will always hurt sales though.

Uncharted and TLOU still making bank, ND is like a goldmine for sony.

13ruce

Banned
Nice well deserved waiting on buying it till i have played 3 and 4 on vita by then it probably is way cheaper too:p + huge backlog for now....

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
While all this praise is awesome and well deserved for persona 5, I still think Atlus dropped the ball a bit with the release and marketing. With a worldwide release (or at least, Japan/NA releasing at the same time) and more advertising, I think it could have been close to or as big as FF7.

But with that said, this is great news for one of my favorite franchises.

I used to think that too but to be on FF7s level, Sony would gave had to pick up marketing and push it heavily.

I don't think Atlus can afford to do mainstream advertising.

Kouriozan

Well this game is English only so it's bound to do worse in Europe.
I never played past Persona/SMT for this very reason, despite wanting to.

Miracle

I used to think that too but to be on FF7s level, Sony would gave had to pick up marketing and push it heavily.

I don't think Atlus can afford to do mainstream advertising.

Well yeah. That's exactly what they should have done imo. I forgot to mention Sony too. :p

What about with the help of Sega? Admittedly I'm not well informed on their relationship with Atlus but could they have helped with advertising?

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Well deserved

I bought it digital off UK but that only because I couldn't go to the store to buy it day one

Makes sense it's 13 in the EU. It was only in English and the price was a lot higher online then in brick and mortar stores

Khrno

My main PSN account is from the UK, I get PS+ from that region, but I don't buy digital games on that store unless they are on sale and are really cheap.

That said I've been buying digital games for the past 4-5 years in the US store since they are cheaper there.

Well yeah, the game is onlyavailable in english, it was never going to do amazing here because of that. UK PSN numbers would be interesting tho.

What? I thought it wasn't even legally possible to release a console game nowadays in Europe without it being at least subtitled into the EFIGS languages!

Did Persona 5 really only come in English or did you mean just English dub but does have text and subtitles in other languages?

Atricio

Neo Member
What? I thought it wasn't even legally possible to release a console game nowadays in Europe without it being at least subtitled into the EFIGS languages!

Did Persona 5 really only come in English or did you mean just English dub but does have text and subtitles in other languages?

In the German speaking countries the subtitles are only in English and the dub is Japanese and English.

Well deserved.

It's cheaper in retail and only available in English.

Looking at themes in the game it should have had a French translation at least. Such a missed opportunity.
Lack of localization probably hurt it a lot in most of continental Europe. Pretty much only Nordics and Dutch are used on playing games in english. In some places like Italy and Spain game is dead on arrival without localization as average english proficiency is pretty low.
In the German speaking countries the subtitles are only in English and the dub is Japanese and English.

Oh wow. My mind is blown for real. So Atlus really did launch P5 in English only in Europe? What the fuck! Isn't France like the second highest consumer of Japanese manga per capita in the world only after Japan? It obviously its a money thing but if other more niche RPGs could do it why not P5? This is amazing and ridiculous at the same time. What a waste of an opportunity.

Shin-Ra

DrakeWeights.gif

Bluepoint Drake. SIEA should give Bluepoint six months or so to make further refinements to The Nathan Drake Collection (including Pro support!) and The Last of Us Remastered.

Unknown?

This year's been pretty good for niche Japanese games selling well so far.
Eh I think this one moved it out of niche status. It's not like Danganronpa, it sold a ton in the West looking at a minimum of 2M ltd by the end of the year.

Eylos

Banned
https://blog.br.playstation.com/2017/05/05/ps-store-os-mais-vendidos-de-abril/

Brazil list
Its not on the top20 for PS4
For PS3 its the 16th

Thats quite a surprise to even appear for PS3, but i can guess why the ps4 version is not on top20

- persona physical Edition is only available for PS4
- PS3 version is cheaper, and PS4 New games on ps store is Very expensive for Brazil standards,
- physical Edition is cheaper than digital, so who purchased for PS4, bought the physical edition probably, ps store top 20 is generally games that are on Sale or CoD or Fifa/Pes

Top Bottom