• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5: Will I get bored of it after 30 hours?

Jawmuncher

Considering Persona should be the gateway drug to other SMT games. I can't imagine someone who doesn't like Oersona being able to get into those games. Unless their big complaint is setting or tone.

Considering Persona should be the gateway drug to other SMT games. I can't imagine someone who doesn't like Oersona being able to get into those games. Unless their big complaint is setting or tone.

I think if you find the dungeon crawling and combat the be the most compelling part of the game, it's easy to enjoy SMT even if Persona doesn't do it for you. Persona spends so much more of its time on the social stuff and character building that I'm sure you could divorce it completely from combat and just make visual novels and they'd still sell.

If those are native English speakers giving the estimates, they could be over-inflated due to slower Japanese reading speeds. But I have heard that P5 is longer than P3 & P4 so maybe not.

I beat the game in 170 hours due to occasionally checking the meaning of a word or two (Japanese is my third language); + I like to go around places and admire stuff and take my time. 100 hours for a first playthrough seems like a good estimate of how much it may take you to beat the game. In the import thread there were some guys who skipped a lot of text and still took them around 80 hours to finish it. There was a guy who completed the game in 65 hours skipping the story bits and dialogues (which is kinda nuts if you ask me).

So yes, I think 100 hours seem accurate.

For the record, a playthrough of P3 or P4 takes me around 135 hours.

Squire

Banned
I think if you find the dungeon crawling and combat the be the most compelling part of the game, it's easy to enjoy SMT even if Persona doesn't do it for you. Persona spends so much more of its time on the social stuff and character building that I'm sure you could divorce it completely from combat and just make visual novels and they'd still sell.

I don't think that's giving the audience enough credit. Series like Persona, Ace Attorney, and Dangan Ronpa crib from VNs, but that's exactly why they've been successful - borrowing in doses rather than going whole hog. I probably could've played a P4 that ran a month longer, dungeon included. Contrast that with, say, Steins;Gate where I could only make it up to the fourth of ten chapters. The social elements of Persona have become progressively more varied and engaging and 5 seems like it's trying to be the apex. Steins;Gate was fantastically written from what I played, but the thing about that and other genuine VNs is they really are novels. People would miss the game mechanics and battles. Probably more than they would guess.

Moofers

Because it's not accurate. The route locks are a series of choices presented to the player at two points. It's also not possible to save after getting locked into a bad ending, so you can always reload your latest save.

It is possible to miss out on a dungeon by not maxing a certain character's social link by a certain date however if you're playing Golden, as the other posters were saying.

Apparently Adachi's SLink needs to be level 6 by Nov 1st. So while I wasn't 100% accurate there I still don't know where I went wrong because I couldn't get him to do much other than tell me not to tell Uncle I saw him slacking.

jonjonaug

Apparently Adachi's SLink needs to be level 6 by Nov 1st. So while I wasn't 100% accurate there I still don't know where I went wrong because I couldn't get him to do much other than tell me not to tell Uncle I saw him slacking.

He's only available on certain days throughout the game and doesn't keep to a real schedule, you basically have to check every day. Also that has nothing to do with getting any particular endings. His Social Link is only in Golden too, are you sure you were playing that version? The only affect any social links have on any endings is whether or not you finish Marie's in Golden.

Moofers

He's only available on certain days throughout the game and doesn't keep to a real schedule, you basically have to check every day. Also that has nothing to do with getting any particular endings. His Social Link is only in Golden too, are you sure you were playing that version? The only affect any social links have on any endings is whether or not you finish Marie's in Golden.
I am playing Golden and I have Marie all maxed out well before November. Here's what I read:

There are 7 endings in Persona 4 Golden. Their names, the date in which they occur, what transpires in them, and how to obtain them will be listed below.

Bad Ending 1:
Nanako dies, Namatame is thrown into the TV world, Teddie leaves.
Date: December 3rd

How to obtain: On December 3rd, when prompted by Yosuke, select "Push the bastard in".

Bad Ending 2:
Nanako lives, Namatame isn't thrown into the TV world, Teddie leaves.
Date: December 3rd

How to obtain: On December 3rd, when prompted by Yosuke, select "I can't stay here".

Bad Ending 3:
Nanako lives, true killer is not identified.
Date: December 5th

How to obtain: On December 3rd, when prompted by Yosuke, select these responses in the following order:

1. Wait a second here...
2. We're missing something.
3. Namatame's true feelings.
4. Something's been bothering me.
5. We're missing something...
6. Calm the hell down!

On December 5th, select the wrong person when prompted three times.
I'm on Team Stepladder. You?
3DS FC:0387-8824-4692 Friend Safari: Munna, Espurr, Gothorita.
spealfan444 (Topic Creator)2 years ago#2

Accomplice Ending:
Nanako lives, you side with the true killer.
Date: December 5th
Note: The Jester Arcana social link (Adachi) must be at level 6 before November 4th in order to obtain this ending.

How to obtain:perform the same steps as Bad Ending 3, but choose the correct person when prompted. Choose to protect them.

Normal Ending:
Nanako lives, true killer identified and defeated, mastermind not identified
Date: March 20th

How to obtain: Perform the same steps as the accomplice ending and Bad Ending 3. Choose the correct person, do not choose to protect them.

On March 20th, talk to all your maxed social links. Choose to go home afterwards. Or simply go to your house and say to go home.

True Ending:
Nanako lives, true killer identified and defeated, mastermind identified and defeated

How to obtain: Perform the same steps as the normal ending. On March 20th, when asked if you want to go home, select No and go to the Junes food court.

Golden Ending: Same as true ending, but the Aeon social Link was maxed before December 24th
Note: The Aeon Arcana social link must be maxed before December 24th in order to obtain this ending.

How to obtain: Perform the same steps as the True Ending

robotrock

Banned

I feel like on GAF at least the SMT/Persona fanbases can be pretty divided. Could just be a case of the vocal minority but I definitely think people are more than ready to fight over that.

beril

If it takes 30 hours before you get bored, does it really matter that you don't finish it? Still seems like good value even though you only play a third of the game

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I feel like on GAF at least the SMT/Persona fanbases can be pretty divided. Could just be a case of the vocal minority but I definitely think people are more than ready to fight over that.

Ill be honest P4G grabbed me because of the music and the sense of dread over the murders. Felt like no one could be trusted and I had to get to the bottom of it. The hint of supernatural had my imagination running wild as to what could happen next.

Murder mysteries and all, the game really lightens up on the tone once people start joining the party.

I have a few SMT games but they never quite grabbed me like P4G did.

If those are native English speakers giving the estimates, they could be over-inflated due to slower Japanese reading speeds. But I have heard that P5 is longer than P3 & P4 so maybe not.

Well I played them all in Japanese and Persona 5 took me 20-25% longer than Persona 4 Golden so if you played that, just add 20% or so to the time it took you to clear it and that's probably how long 5 will take you.

For the record, Persona 4 Golden took me 102 hours(including all the social links and full compendium barring a few) and 5 took me 125 hours(again, full social links but only about 90% of the compendium)

big_z

do persona games ever drop in price and sell for cheap or is it one of those limited run series that hold its value? I have it ordered but don't know if ill have the time to invest for a while.

Kuro

do persona games ever drop in price and sell for cheap or is it one of those limited run series that hold its value? I have it ordered but don't know if ill have the time to invest for a while.

Digitally there's usually some good sales but physically I would say the price tends to stay stable. Its not a Xenoblade situation though.

jonno394

Hmm glad this thread came up tbh as i was in the same boat as op. If it's not that different to 4G then i won't bother, no matter how slick it all looks.

Day to day life and social stuff never really interested me and neither did the dungeon crawling, but the latter seems to have been improved a lot.

Bl@de

The european physical release for example is a limited edition. Don't know if they'll reperint it or release a version without a steelbook. So I don't expect price drops in europe.

Waji

It's a tough one.

I finished it despite being exactly like you with the previous entries.
Though I was more annoyed by the social system of chosing something to do every day than by the dungeons, but it was also a reason.
But by just knowing one or 2 little facts maxing everything was easier than I thought so it helped.

I'm pretty sure the series could get better if they changed that system.
It already got far better with real dungeons.

Mifec

I don't like persona because of the terrible social link bullshit that you have to do if you want certain things. No such crap in SMT, the negotiations are dank as fuck.

seems accurate enough

That length is crazy if you ask me. I was at first overwhelmed but happy to see all the activities I could do in Persona 4 Golden but then when I am half ways in the game things dont change up much except for those special season events. Things become stale outside trying to maximize social links on special days.

These games dont have to get longer but become more varied and have stronger casts and dialogue.

I cant say I can relate to that. The several things I love about SMT are way too absent in the "modern" Persona. I am having more fun fusing and playing around with demons than getting to know the generic characters who are hiding stuff behind social links. I will say I do enjoy the break from dungeon crawling but that is not exactly what SMT series is known for.

Opa-Pa

I have to say the amount of people I've seen on GAF who forced themselves to finish these games despite hating core mechanics is pretty weird. I think part of the problem is how fans try to get everyone into them without really explaining what they're about in detail... I mean I've even seen people who didn't know these were turn-based RPGs at heart lol.

They definitely have a decent reach and potential to be relatively successful in the west, but they're not for everyone.

i...couldn't finish either of those lol

p3 i stopped early. p4g i stopped at
nanako's dungeon

sorry!

Haha that's fine, thank you either way!

Well I played them all in Japanese and Persona 5 took me 20-25% longer than Persona 4 Golden so if you played that, just add 20% or so to the time it took you to clear it and that's probably how long 5 will take you.

For the record, Persona 4 Golden took me 102 hours(including all the social links and full compendium barring a few) and 5 took me 125 hours(again, full social links but only about 90% of the compendium)

Well, that sounds like 90-110 hours to me then, nice. Thanks for sharing.

i've never played a persona game before and i'm excited for persona 5. the advice i can give is 30+ hours in it's still going to mean something to to continue playing the game and then beat it. by then if you feel like playing the game will still get you bored, there will probably be a couple of other games out you may wanna get into.

FreeMufasa

Loved 3 and 4 but only got about 10 hours into 5 before I got bored. Dunno, living in Japan for 5 years the experience just ain't fresh. Had the same feeling when replaying shenmue and it used to be one of my favorites. Shenmue 2 still clicks tho

Top Bottom