• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Won't Be Out In North America Until February 2017

It's hilarious that this even needed to be brought up.

6373ff60ed2db27a438f908be1321da0.png

Nice that they clarified that. Now to wait for CE pre-orders to show up in Canada.

FluxWaveZ

People were expecting P5 outside of Japan this year? Ha ha, saw this happening easily.
I'm fine with it either way, more hyped for FFXV and leaves me more time for it.

But people came laughing about the same thing after the first NA delay from 2015 to 2016... What, should we laugh about the same if it gets delayed again?

ckohler

I preordered on Amazon and I chose the free two-day shipping for Prime members.

Will I get it on the day it comes out or two days after?

Glad I sold my Original PS4 now, since it'd be seeing next-to zero use until Persona 5 hit anyway.

Now all that's left to do is see if the PS4 Neo will hit in October/November like predicted.

GamerJM

Banned
Fml.

Oh wait... I live in Japan and can speaK Japanese. Dope.

I've played text-heavy games in Japanese and gotten through them fine but honestly I think I'll just wait for the US release. The Japanese release comes out like, a couple days before school starts for me and right around the release of FF15.

When they first announced it, I expected it to come at least 3 years after they said it would come out and not have a worldwide release. So this whole process made it land pretty neatly as to where I expected it to be.

I'm actually glad it's not a worldwide release because I want to be spoiled by one thing before I get to play it
the inevitable "make a choice and if you pick the wrong choice you instantly get a game over" which was kinda obnoxious in Persona 3, SUPER SUPER obnoxious in 4, and kinda obnoxious in Golden. I want to know where it is in Persona 5 and how to avoid it.

Well VGP is cheaper then though the site is getting hammered right now. I have a feeling this plushy and bag won't be high quality seems rather cheap overall or this is one of the best special editions ever :p.

But amazon has customs covered, VGP's might get hit with customs or is it also included with them?
As for the content, main draw for me is the artbook since the steelbook is already in the normal version.

Just pre ordered three copies for me and a couple of friends since I'm the only one with the prime discount. I'm kind of sad it got delayed but at least that leaves FFXV with more time and I can beat P4DAN and the Arena games.

When they first announced it, I expected it to come at least 3 years after they said it would come out and not have a worldwide release. So this whole process made it land pretty neatly as to where I expected it to be.

I'm actually glad it's not a worldwide release because I want to be spoiled by one thing before I get to play it
the inevitable "make a choice and if you pick the wrong choice you instantly get a game over" which was kinda obnoxious in Persona 3, SUPER SUPER obnoxious in 4, and kinda obnoxious in Golden. I want to know where it is in Persona 5 and how to avoid it.

This is a good point. We will be well informed.

//ARCANUM

Man, that cover art is *amazing* and beautiful. Is there a link anywhere to high resolution art? Would love to use it as wallpaper.

Also, I AM CRY AT 2017.

I bought a PS4 in 2015 because I wanted to be ready for when P5 came out. I'm a damn fool. A DAMN FOOL.

Fou-Lu

So every game I wanted this year is getting delayed except FFXV? Oh well, hopefully that gives me some good long play time.

StereoVsn

Modern Persona games and the time gap between Japanese & US release:
Persona 3 - 1 year, 1 month
Persona 3:FES - 1 year
Persona 3P - 8 months
Persona 4 - 5 months
Persona 4G - 5 months
Persona 5 - 5 months

Looks rather consistent. No one who has been paying attention should be particularly shocked by P5's US release date. The idea that it would get a simultaneous worldwide release was a pipe dream; especially seeing as how FFXV comes out the same month. Not to mention, Atlus USA already has Tokyo Mirage Sessions & SMT4-2 coming out this year and a Persona 5 release would cannibalize sales of those games.
The game has been delayed by over 2 years. That time could have been used to "catch up" on localization. Then November/December release would not have cannibalized any sales from their summer releases.

Plus, Feb 2017 is NA, not Europe or other regions.

Persona7

Banned
I preordered on Amazon and I chose the free two-day shipping for Prime members.

Will I get it on the day it comes out or two days after?

99% of the time you will get release date delivery if you are a prime member and pre-order with two day shipping. Some people are weird and like forcing them to change it to overnight delivery but I was told by customer support that it doesn't matter if you pre-ordered, are a prime member and release date delivery is available.

December would've been perfect, don't think anyone realistically expected a worldwide date. Now my 2 most anticipated games are gonna be out within weeks of each other and both were delayed. During the school semester too. ME Andromeda and P5:/

ckohler

pre-orders are day of unless Amazon messes up which they seem to more frequently

I have gotten every game on release day by picking that option, should be fine.

99% of the time you will get release date delivery if you are a prime member and pre-order with two day shipping. Some people are weird and like forcing them to change it to overnight delivery but I was told by customer support that it doesn't matter if you pre-ordered, are a prime member and release date delivery is available.

Thanks. That's reassuring.

The game has been delayed by over 2 years. That time could have been used to "catch up" on localization. Then November/December release would not have cannibalized any sales from their summer releases.

You can't localize what doesn't exist. Atlus has never done a worldwide release and obviously doesn't have things set up to do so. And SMT4-2 is a Fall release so P5 coming out around the same time would definitely cannibalize sales.

December would've been perfect

December is generally a bad time to release games since you're up against the entire Holiday season, but you've missed the big November rush. Generally, the only games you see released in December are massive evergreen titles where release date doesn't matter that much (like Smash Bros) and games that publishers just want to get out and don't have much faith in.

asagami_

Banned

Plus, Feb 2017 is NA, not Europe or other regions.

Localization don't work that way.

Go_Ly_Dow

This and Horizon right by one another.. sorry Horizon, P5 is going to get priority

You might also get Mass Effect Andromeda releasing alongside both.

Persona will take priority for me, but the masses will likely go for the other two.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The game has been delayed by over 2 years. That time could have been used to "catch up" on localization.

Not necesarily. We don't know all the exact details of what changed during development to warrant the delay. If a lot of sections were reworked, that could have meant a bunch of localization work would have to be redone. If significant new areas or content were added, localization would still have to wait for those areas to be in a complete enough state before they could start. New recording sessions could have had to be rescheduled to do a bunch of retakes and/or record new material, and they may be limited by VA availability for scheduling.

And then there's the various certification and ratings board passes needed for different territories.

You oversimplify what's involved with localization work.

kadotsu

Banned
They aren't promoting dual-audio, so it won't have it. Atlus continues to be shit. Enjoy your "soundtrack" and other plastic shit.

Wagram

You might also get Mass Effect Andromeda releasing alongside both.

Persona will take priority for me, but the masses will likely go for the other two.

If Mass Effect comes out in February I wouldn't be surprised if Persona is pushed again. Feb-April is becoming the fall extended months and the masses aren't picking up Persona over "the big boys." Maybe Atlus doesn't care though so who knows!

I hate that quoted phrase by the way.

Lunar15

From Josh Hardin: "We're trying to investigate options." (in regards to someone asking about dual audio)

Also said that they're only focused on promoting the physical goods right now. So it sounds like the discussion hasn't even happened yet.

Either way, I wouldn't expect dual-audio.

Preordered at Amazon. Still hoping I can preorder at Best Buy for reward points.

How to I cancel from GameStop? They don't make it obvious. Do you I have to go to the store (please no).

Mediking

Just got the Amazon preorder!!! Can somebody tell me how to cancel the Gamestop preorder????

Edit: Just did it! It was so easy! Go Amazon!

Top Bottom