• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Squire

Banned
Rise's Ultimax portrait is kinda janky looking. Maybe it's just that it's kinda blurry though. Might look better up close.

Also, kinda neat that her win pose is based on her original Arena art.

I definitely think it's because it's not direct feed. The blur on it makes it look sketchier/muddier like promo art for Metal Gear or something, which isn't how Soejima draws promo stuff.

Also, perfect response.

Edit: Rise could never live up to Junpei!

You're missing the fact that he's wear a full baseball uniform when he's just a little league coach.

That's exactly what the little league coaches here do, so I guess I don't see anything wrong with it. Just like in the MLB, coaches where the uniform to show that they are also part of the team.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Bl1sp6wCUAAoJ5s.png

ZALGOOOOO

LX_Theo

Banned
Not in the TV world this time. It is possible to summon a persona without an evoker, the evoker just makes it easier.

I'm guessing whatever supernatural thing going on is going to allow them to summon their Persona. P4 need a method as much as Junpei. Trying really hard would be a pretty weak plot point.

I kinda don't want to beat The Answer because I'll effectively be *finished* and that'll be sad.

Oh well, the sooner I do it the sooner I can start complaining about P4A's story mode along with you guys.

Junpei's entire character design (both gameplay and visual) in Ultimax being based on something he mentioned off hand like... twice (maybe) in P3 is pretty dumb. Really, all the P3 character designs in Arena are dumb (discounting Aigis who's hardly any different)--designed to be goofy fighting game characters first, proper evolutions of their original characters a distant second. Wonder what Ken will look like.

I'm guessing whatever supernatural thing going on is going to allow them to summon their Persona. P4 need a method as much as Junpei. Trying really hard would be a pretty weak plot point.

Oh definitely, I imagine the red fog will have something to do with it. It'll be good to see the P4 guys reaction to being able to summon outside the TV.

We don't even have a release date, do we?

I'm curious to see all the other stuff; hopefully they don't talk only about P4U.

NOPE! We've had jack all info for SMT 4 in the UK.

Junpei's entire character design (both gameplay and visual) in Ultimax being based on something he mentioned off hand like... twice (maybe) in P3 is pretty dumb. Really, all the P3 character designs in Arena are dumb (discounting Aigis who's hardly any different)--designed to be goofy fighting game characters first, proper evolutions of their original characters a distant second. Wonder what Ken will look like.

You mean baseball? It makes more sense than..Yukari's current occupation. Junpei wore a baseball cap, held his sword like a baseball bat, yelled "HOME RUN" when you scored critical.

Oh definitely, I imagine the red fog will have something to do with it. It'll be good to see the P4 guys reaction to being able to summon outside the TV.

NOPE! We've had jack all info for SMT 4 in the UK.

Either it wont come out, or if it does, it will be digital only. It is Nintendo we're talking about after all.

Moonlight

Banned
Oh man, this is pretty great. I'm kinda wondering how this Social Link system is going to work. Like, are they actual social links or are they just named as such? I'm having my doubts that 'actual' social links will be written, at least. Too many possible permutations. I'm just wondering, like, can you like... play Rise, and have Rise as your voice navigator? I'm confused.

Either way, totally maining Rise if Yosuke doesn't pan out for me.

...oh, and yeah. Old story format isn't great. Kinda confuses me why they even bother. Surely it'd be less work to write one or two consistent stories.

You mean baseball? It makes more sense than..Yukari's current occupation. Junpei wore a baseball cap, held his sword like a baseball bat, yelled "HOME RUN" when you scored critical.

He also has a monologue where he says that his dream was to be a professional baseball player. Da Man is all about the baseball! Always has been.

Either it wont come out, or if it does, it will be digital only. It is Nintendo we're talking about after all.

Just anything would be nice........ anything.

Still seems like a rather extreme measure to go when there was a lot more to him than that.

Hey, I know what I like and I know what I don't like, and I know I don't like characters being turned into silly caricatures in something that is supposedly canon.

PK Gaming

Well, to be fair:

• His fighting stance was reminiscent of a baseball player going up to bat
  • He swung his sword like a baseball bat
  • He dreamed of being a baseball player as a kid
  • He's always wearing a baseball cap
  • He's very fond of baseball (as shown in the drama CDs)
  • "HAH! TAKE THAT!" "HOMERUN!"
Like it or not, baseball is another aspect of his character.

It's honestly preferable to Junpei fighting in casual wear/using a sword.

Soma

Yeah I'm not seeing how Junpei's new design is extremely far off than what was built up in the original game.

The fact that he's a little league coach kinda makes sense too due to his relationship with his father so I can see him wanting to be a father figure to kids in similar situations.

if they remove the inner dialog crap and add another gameplay element into the mix, then it could be enjoyable. (Visit certain areas at your own freewill, speak to various npcs, etc)

CorvoSol

At least the story makes fun of it from time to time. Like everyone piles on Akihiko for his cape, but Aigis points out to Mitsuru they hardly have any grounds to do so. Although frankly I think Aigis looks better with a necktie than a bow because I think neckties > bowties anyway.

I don't have a problem with Junpei's career choice at all, I'm just disappointed that it permeates absolutely everything about him, to the point that he has a baseball scorecard on his HUD. It's all very one-track and single-minded and a poor representation of Junpei as a whole. It'd be like if Chie had steak she had to consume mid-battle to power her up or something. He's still better off than Yukari though. And the less said about Mitsuru and Akihiko the better.

At least the story makes fun of it from time to time. Like everyone piles on Akihiko for his cape, but Aigis points out to Mitsuru they hardly have any grounds to do so. Although frankly I think Aigis looks better with a necktie than a bow because I think neckties > bowties anyway.
I think it's funny in a way how the game makes fun of Akihiko's design. It's like they knew they did wrong on him from the get go.

EDIT: I take character design pretty seriously if you can guess.

Dantis

This applies to a lot of the design of Arena, and I think it was probably intentional. A lot of the presentation is very garish and loud, but I think it's all meant to give it an arcadey feel.

Unfortunately, this makes it feel not very much like a Persona game to me, but whatever innit.

I think, and I know this is the Persona thread so views may be skewed, but Arena is clearly a fighting game first and a Persona game second.

The things they did right about it are;
First, make a good fighting game. Swap out the characters for blank slates and remove the story and the actual game is still really good mechanically.

Secondly, Make it a different genre to Persona normal. By making it a fighting game, even though it is technically canon, it can still be seen more broadly as a spin-off (ala Dirge of Cerberus, bad game I know but its hard to think of a better example) rather than a direct sequel (ala FFX-2).

Third, Make the Persona content not make the source material worse. Although Ultimax has a certain character that could screw this up (
Adachi
), Arena being around doesnt make P4 a worse game.

Honestly, I like Arena. Its not perfect but its a fun game that continues a story I like with characters I like. I dont find anything wrong with Arena's story content, just the way in which its presented is too convoluted.

The amount of bashing on the game in this thread is almost at certain character hate level, just give it a rest. If you dont like the game, fine, but dont scream your opinion around and expect everyone to agree with you and say they are the ones who are wrong when they dont.

If you have a problem with anything that you want discussion on then at least present it in a way that allows for discussion and not arguments. Saying "Arena sucks because it does" is worthless.

Dantis

I think, and I know this is the Persona thread so views may be skewed, but Arena is clearly a fighting game first and a Persona game second.

The things they did right about it are;
First, make a good fighting game. Swap out the characters for blank slates and remove the story and the actual game is still really good mechanically.

Secondly, Make it a different genre to Persona normal. By making it a fighting game, even though it is technically canon, it can still be seen more broadly as a spin-off (ala Dirge of Cerberus, bad game I know but its hard to think of a better example) rather than a direct sequel (ala FFX-2).

Third, Make the Persona content not make the source material worse. Although Ultimax has a certain character that could screw this up (
Adachi
), Arena being around doesnt make P4 a worse game.

Honestly, I like Arena. Its not perfect but its a fun game that continues a story I like with characters I like. I dont find anything wrong with Arena's story content, just the way in which its presented is too convoluted.

The amount of bashing on the game in this thread is almost at certain character hate level, just give it a rest. If you dont like the game, fine, but dont scream your opinion around and expect everyone to agree with you and say they are the ones who are wrong when they dont.

If you have a problem with anything that you want discussion on then at least present it in a way that allows for discussion and not arguments. Saying "Arena sucks because it does" is worthless.

Wut.

Most people in the thread like Arena, you sausage, you.

This is a weird post. Turns strangely aggressive for no reason. You're not coming to my birthday party.

Arena is my favorite fighting game this generation. I'll defend it until the cows come home in terms of mechanics and gameplay etc.

However, from what ive played of the story, its clear that it needs to be redone. The same "story" for every character and continuous inner dialog is a real pain. My only gripe with ultimax is the entire
Adachi
situation. He most definetly should be playable. To hell with bein an NPC.

I don't have a problem with Junpei's career choice at all, I'm just disappointed that it permeates absolutely everything about him, to the point that he has a baseball scorecard on his HUD. It's all very one-track and single-minded and a poor representation of Junpei as a whole. It'd be like if Chie had steak she had to consume mid-battle to power her up or something. He's still better off than Yukari though. And the less said about Mitsuru and Akihiko the better.

Oh, I see. I agree with you there

Okay since we have had some time since this last night, I'm gonna gather all the proposed OT5 names together so we can have a vote on them.

The nominees are
  • The Long Awaited Entry Is Here
  • Rated M...Maybe
  • Wow, This Thread is Megidolaon Cute
  • Ultra Suplex Hold Edition
  • PGAF Q, PGAFing All Night and PGAF Arena: The Ultimeh.
  • Shin Megami Senpai
  • TAKE A CHASTITY BELT AND SIDDOWN
  • Never doubt Prophetwicks you heathens
  • Rise of The Machines
  • Social Link, GO

How this is gonna go, each of us will get to pick one as our vote for the thread title.
Either in the thread, or by as a PM to me, though if do it through PM please specify that it's your vote for OT5 Title in the PM description or I won't count it. I will tally up the votes and send it to Dantis .
The voting for this will end tonight at 12AM PST. So have fun.

Dantis

Okay since we have had some time since this last night, I'm gonna gather all the proposed OT5 names together so we can have a vote on them.

The nominees are
  • Rated M...Maybe
  • Shin Megami Senpai
  • Rise of The Machines
  • Social Link, GO

How this is gonna go, each of us will get to pick one as our vote for the thread title.
Either in the thread, or by as a PM to me. I will tally up the votes and send it to Dantis .

OR we could just do what we've always done and choose one at the last minute.

I like that idea. Let's do that.

Wut.

Most people in the thread like Arena, you sausage, you.

This is a weird post. Turns strangely aggressive for no reason.

Reading it back, I probably should have stopped before the last 2 paragraphs, does seem like I got a bit agitated towards the end there.

In my head the negative people are always the ones that stand out more, guess thats why my view was a bit squiffy.

You're not coming to my birthday party.

Can I come if I bring jelly and ice cream?

I actually really like the gameplay of Arena. I just think it's a poor attempt at universe expansion by trying to clumsily fit itself into canon and warping the only real outlet the P3 characters have in the future of the series.

It's a fine fighting game but a poor expansion and exploration of the established setting and characters. I think it would have been better off as a story-less crossover fighter.

kewlmyc

The nominees are
  • Rated M...Maybe
  • Shin Megami Senpai
  • Rise of The Machines
  • Social Link, GO

Either in the thread, or by as a PM to me, though if do it through PM please specify that it's your vote for OT5 Title in the PM description or I won't count it. I will tally up the votes and send it to Dantis .
I actually like Rise of the Machines. Fits the whole Rise thing and deals with the growing number of toasters we're getting in this series.

OR we could just do what we've all done and choose one at the last minute.

I like that idea. Let's do that.

Lunar15

I actually really like the gameplay of Arena. I just think it's a poor attempt at universe expansion by trying to clumsily fit itself into canon and warping the only real outlet the P3 characters have in the future of the series.

It's a fine fighting game but a poor expansion and exploration of the established setting and characters. I think it would have been better off as a story-less crossover fighter.

I don't think there's many that disagree. It's just that we also stopped caring at some point. For all intents and purposes, it's essentially fan-fiction in my eyes. Neat that it exists, but it's not going to retroactively change how I view the series or the characters in it.

I wish it was better written, it certainly does a disservice to the source material. But at the same time I can punch Yu in the face with Yosuke and that's pretty great.

Top Bottom