• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

84X

Banned
Starting with the P3 side means you get to start with Aigis, which automatically makes Persona Q a better game. Therefore, the choice is obvious.

My...........name........is...........Aigis...........I..........am..........a..........seventh.......generation........anti..........shadow...........suppression.........weapon.

Sounds like fun.
I'll probably swap Aigis in quite a bit

kewlmyc

I'll start with the P4 route, even if it's going to be kinda weird with Yosuke and P3MC...

I have faith in Yuri that he'll differentiate the voices of the two characters. At least I hope so. JYB kinda pulled it off in Arena 2 and the first P4 anime.

I've been torn on which game's route to prioritize and which party members to use ever since PQ was announced. I expect I won't figure it out until I actually play it.

So I finished P4 a few days ago and I just found out that there was another actual final boss that I completely missed :/

Guess that gives me an incentive to buy Golden and play it all over again...

Sophia

So I finished P4 a few days ago and I just found out that there was another actual final boss that I completely missed :/

Guess that gives me an incentive to buy Golden and play it all over again...

If you didn't write over your saved game with a Cleared save or a new game, you can still go back and get the true ending.

My...........name........is...........Aigis...........I..........am..........a..........seventh.......generation........anti..........shadow...........suppression.........weapon.

Sounds like fun.
I'll probably swap Aigis in quite a bit

I honestly was expecting an avatar quote. But you have defied my expectations with something funnier. I give you a thousand kudos and a voice recording of a Yukiko-style laugh that goes on for two minutes.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
Starting with the P3 side means you get to start with Aigis, which automatically makes Persona Q a better game. Therefore, the choice is obvious.

Having Aigis at the start is not the worst idea in the world. Just uh...don't go nuts with Orgia mode. Unless you're prepared for hilarious consequences.

Meia

Yeah, I'd like Aigis in my party, but it's Aigis before anything interesting happens to her, so yeah, no. I mean, those kinds of shenanigans can be cute, but eh.

It's going to be somewhat weird thinking about it, and I wonder how the game presents it. I mean, the P3 cast gets ripped from their game before any real character development happens on their end, while the P4 cast pretty much gets it when they get introduced as characters practically...

So on the P4 side you get to hear one Yosuke and one.... awesome... Yosuke.

tumblr_nbnhdpwdMe1sgp8g3o1_1280.jpg

Woops, should have checked the previous page. A reason to have both in one's party, huh. That's interesting, if it's something other than special dialogue, heh.

Well, they're spells are kind of related to each other too. They both have physical and magical spells based off of their primary elements and one has dekaja while other has dekunda. But it's probably best if you don't neglect the MCs especially.

I'd normally say Makoto moveset-wise and resistance-wise is pretty bad or least below average based off of what I initially saw, but this one thing I assume is being referred to is enough of a reason to keep him. Plus I feel obligated to play with the MC considering he was, at one point, me (the player). And his personality is great (probably will play P4 side for this reason). Narukami on the other hand already has good resistances at the very least.

As expected from the Ultimate Gamer...
Komaeda_%2820%29.png

Dammit, I'm so sure I won't be able to find it in launch day

Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I'm aware I have two garu users and zio users in my P3 team but oh well, the risks of using your favorite characters...

Nah, I'm sure Koro's interactions with Kanji and Teddie will be fun to see.

Well, I'm no expert at Persona games and never played EO games, but I think having two characters using the same element shouldn't be much of a problem, since I'm pretty sure you can get access to bufu and agi pretty early on based off of other persona games. It's just that I don't know how early you get resists; you could get them really early like in P4, where personas in the first dungeon could naturally learn them, or you could get them rather late like in P3.

And I think there will be some good interactions with Kanji, Teddie, Shinji, and Aigis outside battle during certain scenes. But Koro, unfortunately, will never be able to contribute to a discussion without the aid of Aigis though. So a lot of stuff is likely one-sided in terms of talking.

BTW thanks Sophia for confirming the information. Depending on exactly how good the spells are, I might switch up my team more.

PK Gaming

I'd normally say Makoto moveset-wise and resistance-wise is pretty bad or least below average based off of what I initially saw, but this one thing I assume is being referred to is enough of a reason to keep him. Plus I feel obligated to play with the MC considering he was, at one point, me (the player). And his personality is great (probably will play P4 side for this reason). Narukami on the other hand already has good resistances at the very least.

Actually, Makoto's base moveset is pretty solid. He gets what he needs, and skill cards/sub Personas round his moveset out nicely. And you forget to take his stat spread into account, which is outright exceptional.

Actually, Makoto's base moveset is pretty solid. He gets what he needs, and skill cards/sub Personas round his moveset out nicely. And you forget to take his stat spread into account, which is outright exceptional.

TBH I didn't look at all at his stats. I know his magic is higher than his strength though. I don't know exactly how the system works though, in terms of resistances. Because he has two fire based spells, does that mean neither work if the enemy nulls fire? Or does the physical one count as slash first and fire second? If so then that's quite a bit better, since I assumed that he'd be kind of bad if the enemy resisted or nullified fire.

PK Gaming

TBH I didn't look at all at his stats. I know his magic is higher than his strength though. I don't know exactly how the system works though, in terms of resistances. Because he has two fire based spells, does that mean neither work if the enemy nulls fire? Or does the physical one count as slash first and fire second? If so then that's quite a bit better, since I assumed that he'd be kind of bad if the enemy resisted or nullified fire.

To keep things short, his Magic and SP are among the best in the game and his Strength is very good for a caster.

Regarding your 2nd question, I believe it's the latter. His "Crimson sword" skills are just physical attacks that are assigned the Agi element solely for weakness/resistance purposes. So it's a physical attack skill that does more damage against Agi-weak enemies and less damage against Agi-resistant enemies.

I think it still does damage against Agi-null enemies, but i'm not sure. In any case, that's what sub Personas/skill cards are for! Covering your blind spots.

To keep things short, his Magic and SP are among the best in the game and his Strength is very good for a caster.

Regarding your 2nd question, I believe it's the latter. His "Crimson sword" skills are just physical attacks that are assigned the Agi element solely for weakness/resistance purposes. So it's a physical attack skill that does more damage against Agi-weak enemies and less damage against Agi-resistant enemies.

I think it still does damage against Agi-null enemies, but i'm not sure. In any case, that's what sub Personas/skill cards are for! Covering your blind spots.

OK thanks. Sorry if I sound like saying he's totally garbage, he's not. (However, I don't think I can be convinced that his base resistances are great, they're arguably the worst)

To be honest when looking through stats I mainly only saw the 99s :p Rather poor way to judge characters, I know. They just popped up more when scanning through them. I also tend to judge characters by their damage, so the strength or magic stat. So I saw that he's somewhat magic-inclined with the element fire and Yukiko was magic-inclined with the element fire, and compared the two in my mind (where Yukiko kind of won out on pure fire damage). Obviously though, I should take things like HP, endurance and agility into account (i'm used to the idea of agility being basically worthless in boss fights but now since they act in order of agility by default, and you choose everyone's moves all at once at the beginning of your turn, it's probably going to be a lot more important. Also used to the idea of as long as I withstand a couple hits, it's all good because I could heal every other turn or every turn, but with SP limits it might not work). Also I don't know about luck.

I guess I also have to get used to the fact that SP in this game is lower. I'm not going to be running around with more than base 300+ SP on anyone at level 99.

And I need to get in the mindset of the subpersonas, since the reason why I considered him not so great(in addition to base resistances and not as good offensively as Yukiko) was that he had two, single target, fire spells and lacked a multi-hit one like yukiko did. Plus I don't usually rate dekaja and dekunda that high in my mind since they are very situational, usually only for certain bosses in the game (ex: in P4 the only time I recall using it much was against Kanji and never really after that). We shall have to see though, maybe it'll be more like Nocturne and DDS where there's buffs everywhere.

Though that certain thing in the game makes up for everything, so he's top tier in my mind. And his personality's great. And he's the superior Yuri.

Dantis

Sure, but that doesn't preclude PxD from actually being pretty awful (which it is).

It is surprising how bad it is. I've only read two chapters, and I can definitely say that it's not good. I was pretty happy that it focused around Naoto, but it turns out that they didn't really capitalise on anything that makes her an interesting or good character.

I do still think long haired Naoto is the best, though.

It is surprising how bad it is. I've only read two chapters, and I can definitely say that it's not good. I was pretty happy that it focused around Naoto, but it turns out that they didn't really capitalise on anything that makes her an interesting or good character.

I do still think long haired Naoto is the best, though.

I'm curious. Is there a specific moment that just made you go "Nope!" on the whole thing?

So, coming from someone who is playing PQ as his first Persona game, how do you feel about it?

The Persona Q & A video was amazing!

It's such a wonderful blend of EO and Persona. Only 7 hours in but I'm having a great time. Always been a fan of dungeon crawlers.

Decided to start on Hard difficulty. Haven't had much trouble. Been spending my time grinding a little and buying the strongest equipment the store offers at the moment. I'm sure it's not needed but that's just something I enjoy doing. I like how SP recovers after battle. Reallyyyyy love the whole "weakness" system. You guys won't be disappointed.

Hey guys, I've a question. Do we now if the tarot cards for Persona Q are limited to the "duh" Limited Edition? Or do they also come as a pre order bonus?

I bought the regular edition and it came with the tarot cards. Pretty sure you'll be fine if you don't pre-order it.

Took 2 pictures. Dunno if they would be considered spoilers so just to be on the safe side, click the links to view:

http://i.imgur.com/aCSbeW1.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/EaXaheR.jpg

I randomly picked party members. Don't know who's good at what. Just going with whatever happens.

84X

Banned
It's such a wonderful blend of EO and Persona. Only 7 hours in but I'm having a great time. Always been a fan of dungeon crawlers.

Decided to start on Hard difficulty. Haven't had much trouble. Been spending my time grinding a little and buying the strongest equipment the store offers at the moment. I'm sure it's not needed but that's just something I enjoy doing. I like how SP recovers after battle. Reallyyyyy love the whole "weakness" system. You guys won't be disappointed.

I bought the regular edition and it came with the tarot cards. Pretty sure you'll be fine if you don't pre-order it.

Took 2 pictures. Dunno if they would be considered spoilers so just to be on the safe side, click the links to view:

http://i.imgur.com/aCSbeW1.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/EaXaheR.jpg

I randomly picked party members. Don't know who's good at what. Just going with whatever happens.

Glad you're enjoying it, I can barely wait...

and doing this isn't helping: http://84xl.tumblr.com/image/102929034439

I'll start out with the P3 side since P3MC is my favorite protagonist. But I'm not sure if I should like, complete a dungeon in one side, and then the same one on the other side, or first complete a side to then play the next one.
Bad Sonia, bad.
And I think there will be some good interactions with Kanji, Teddie, Shinji, and Aigis outside battle during certain scenes. But Koro, unfortunately, will never be able to contribute to a discussion without the aid of Aigis though. So a lot of stuff is likely one-sided in terms of talking.
Hmm, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I have faith in Koro-chan!

Great to hear! The idea of PQ is exciting to me because fans that don't know about Persona and are planning to buy the game will be introduced to BOTH casts! If I didn't have a PS2, I would have totally waited for PQ to launch to be my first Persona game.

So who are you liking most so far?

MSMrRound

Taking my time, but I'm really liking this sub-persona function thing in Persona Q.

Makes me feel much more comfortable with farming/exploring. Still new to this mapping thing. Will definitely need a while before I'll feel comfortable enough to try mapping on my own.

Xenoflare

Taking my time, but I'm really liking this sub-persona function thing in Persona Q.

Much more comfortable with farming/exploring now.

I'm not-so-secretly hoping that P5 would honor this feature.

I think I mentioned this here before.

and make the protag not silent.

#DreamP5.

Xenoflare

I'll start out with the P3 side since P3MC is my favorite protagonist. But I'm not sure if I should like, complete a dungeon in one side, and then the same one on the other side, or first complete a side to then play the next one.

You are better off playing one side first and speed through the other under new game+ foe the exclusive tidbits.

I don't know playing one side then the other sounds counter productive, since the 3DS also only has 3 save slots (or is it 2?) so it's not exactly a good idea.

Bad Sonia, bad.

Hmm, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I have faith in Koro-chan!

Great to hear! The idea of PQ is exciting to me because fans that don't know about Persona and are planning to buy the game will be introduced to BOTH casts! If I didn't have a PS2, I would have totally waited for PQ to launch to be my first Persona game.

Yeah, despite the fact I lived in Canada my whole life my English seems to be complete shit. I swear my English did not improve at all through high school and all I learned was how to write different essays rather than improving my writing. Which makes sense considering it was always my crappiest mark. Anyways...

I've spoiled myself on some scenes and know for a fact that there are neat interactions between Koro and others, I'm not disagreeing with that. I'm just saying that in most of his interactions, he barks and performs various actions. There really isn't anything you can do about the lack of speech, is what I'm saying, though often his actions are enough. So if there was a part in the game where people has a philosophy debate or something, Koromaru wouldn't really be able to contribute without Aigis translating. Not sure if that clears this up. Really though, the only thing this will even effect is in-battle banter since I believe someone here said that events will happen with the whole team.

On a related note, I hope this game kind of explains what the rest of the cast is doing while you explore if you can have events occur in dungeons while you are only exploring with 5 characters. I just assume they sit at the front of the dungeon.

And on an unrelated note, I like to believe that all the personas are secretly best buddies and have fun while they're not fighting.

But yeah, we might disagree in the sense that I don't think much of Koromaru's actual personality. I know his backstory through his social link and really not much else about him as a 'person'.

Dantis

I'm curious. Is there a specific moment that just made you go "Nope!" on the whole thing?

After the terrible opening scene, it gets slightly better, but then every time there's some creepy fan service it turns to shit again. I think when they were planning it out, it was probably at least acceptable, and then somewhere down the line it became a thing to have at least one fan service scene per chapter.

On a related note, I hope this game kind of explains what the rest of the cast is doing while you explore if you can have events occur in dungeons while you are only exploring with 5 characters. I just assume they sit at the front of the dungeon.

They come along with you. When I played the demo at MCM, I had mini-scenes inside the dungeon that involved members who weren't in my fighting party.

So a basic way of explaining it is, everyone goes into the dungeon and explores but the ones not in the fighting party play go fish when enemies appear.

Edit: Also this arrived today.

I'll post pictures of what cards I get and what doubles there are so people can ask if they want them.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
They come along with you. When I played the demo at MCM, I had mini-scenes inside the dungeon that involved members who weren't in my fighting party.

So a basic way of explaining it is, everyone goes into the dungeon and explores but the ones not in the fighting party play go fish when enemies appear.

I'll post pictures of what cards I get and what doubles there are so people can ask if they want them.

*Huff Huff* Want some of those cards.

Thanks for the Birthday wishes guys!

Dantis

I got another pack today. Nothing good though. The Rare was the foil Rise that I already have.

Top Bottom