• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Series Story & Spoilers, P4G Reflection, Persona 5 Speculation Inevitable

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Persona series subsumes an astonishing array of fiction entangling the human condition and the metaphysical. Jungian philosophy, various theology, science fiction, and mysticism are prevalent themes. Each Persona game visits elements that hinge on the established imagery and concepts of the preceding titles; however, nothing is expatiated to a point of absolution, enabling each title to stand alone. Persona 4 Golden, the most recent offering, does as such while simultaneously revising familiar aspects, and will naturally be a large point of discussion as it is seemingly the most popular and highest rated in series.

This thread is for discussion of the series (Persona, Persona 2: Innocent Sin, Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, Persona 3, Persona 3: FES, P3P, Persona 4, Persona 4 Arena, Persona 4 Golden) and the inevitable Persona 5 speculation.

Since we're all on the same page, lines of spoiler tagged text won't be necessary.

If you are looking for the Persona 4 Golden OT, please click here.

If you want to familiarize yourself with the Persona series and/or how it branches off from the Shin Megami Tensei fiction, please click here.

Here are some starting point questions:

• What do you think is good about the Persona series?
  • What do you think is not good about the Persona series?
  • How did characters obtain and use their personae powers in each game?
  • What is the significance of the Tarot Cards and Arcana?
  • Who is Igor? Why is Igor helping you? Why is Igor's nose so long?
  • Who is Philemon? Why is there all of this butterfly imagery?
  • Who is Nyarlathotep? Does Nyarlathotep have any connections with Persona 3 and 4?
  • Are there any connections between the DVA System, Xilbalba, Tartarus, and the Midnight Channel?
  • Are there any connections between the Nanjo Group, Kirijo Group, and SEBEC?

Great idea for a thread I love Persona 5 speculations.

That said I liked Giantbomb's pitch Persona 5 the college years featuring a combination of P3 and P4 characters.

Aeana

Don't have a lot of time to make a full contribution right now, but I thought I'd touch on one thing.

[*]Are there any connections between the Nanjo Group, Kirijo Group, and SEBEC?
[/LIST]

Yes, the Kirijo Group was actually a part of the Nanjo Group initially. Or so they said. But I honestly feel like it was just a throwback without any serious implications, just like a lot of the other things in Persona 3 and 4. It's unlikely that they will ever draw any closer connections than those that have been made. And I don't think that the majority of current fans even care.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I've always thought Persona 5 should deal with the social media, and the rise of online "personas".

Seems like a nice jumping-off point.

Quick Persona 4 Arena super spoiler summary because there is a slim chance it might play into a future game:

• Persona 3 characters organized themselves into a full time shadow fighting organization.
  • Main enemy at the end of P4A is revealed to possibly be Nyarlathotep, the main villain in Persona 2, who escapes and both P3 and P4 characters vow to chase after him (separately).
  • Elizabeth is still searching for the (dead-ish) P3 protagonist, and at the end is granted the fool arcana, which is usually given to protagonists at the start of the game.
Also relevent:
  • In P4 Margaret mentioned Elizabeth, so it seems like there's a hint to continuing that meta velvet room storyline as well.
  • Igor's voice actor has passed away, WHO KNOWS how that'll be handled in the next game.

Snakeyes

I've always thought Persona 5 should deal with the social media, and the rise of online "personas".

Seems like a nice jumping-off point.

With the protagonist's online avatars manifesting themselves as Personae as the enter the Web World? That would be pretty neat.

Beckx

a slim chance it might play into a future game

I dunno about slim. I'll actually be a bit pissed if they drop the whole thing after this. Yu's ending practically demands a follow up.

If that follow up is P5A, then, hey. I'm fine with that. But I'm guessing that P4A was a one shot deal with ASW, no follow ups guaranteed.

How would people react to a P5 where the main cast is a group of P3/P4 characters? I'd eat it up (are you with me, Akihi-bros?), but would most fans prefer an all new cast?

Snakeyes

How would people react to a P5 where the main cast is a group of P3/P4 characters? I'd eat it up (are you with me, Akihi-bros?), but would most fans prefer an all new cast?
I'd be against it. A few cameos here and there would be fine, but P5 needs to be its own thing.

Keropon

How would people react to a P5 where the main cast is a group of P3/P4 characters?

I would certainly hate it. But it would be cool if there are references to past events, just like in P3->P4.

Never get too attached to a set of characters in the SMT universe.

iavi

With the protagonist's online avatars manifesting themselves as Personae as the enter the Web World? That would be pretty neat.

Mega man Battle network? Lol.

Honestly, as shitty as the show was, I always thought the idea in Trinity Souls persona 'snatching' would make a fantastic game.

cjkeats

I know something goes down with Philemon in P2, but would it be possible to bring him back to make up for Igor? Japan are pretty huffy about voice actors.
Also, what about the rest of the Velvet room crew from P2?

I should probably play P2...

I know something goes down with Philemon in P2, but would it be possible to bring him back to make up for Igor? Japan are pretty huffy about voice actors.
Also, what about the rest of the Velvet room crew from P2?
Would be AMAZING if Philemon was the super hard optional boss in P5.

I really want him to come back since they bothered to keep the butterflies in the save points.

If we're talking fan service, there should tooooootally be the option to go the sushi restaurant from Catherine and see Erica or Johnny hanging out in the corner.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Wait, P4A has P2 shit as well? Oh man. This is gonna get a lot weirder from here, isn't it? :lol

The Malevolent Entity at the end of Arena is thought to be Nyrlathotep, the main villain from P2 and orchestrator of the events of P1.

Using smart phones to summon personas

That's been done in the Devil Survivor series, though not actually personae per say, but "demons".

pyrandes

And Subbed.

I really need to playthru the first few personas at some point. Hopefully EP on the psp gets a localization stateside (sadly missed the boat on PS :/), but Im not holding my breath on it. I may have to find some used discs sonewheres.

Also, Im doing the music club link... Didnt want to deal with drama girl's dramallama quite yet (next playthru)

FXtEcl.jpg

That blush...

I would certainly hate it. But it would be cool if there are references to past events, just like in P3->P4.

Never get too attached to a set of characters in the SMT universe.

It is way too late for that. I'm so attached to the Persona 4 cast that I don't think I want a new game without them.

I'm going to be really disappointed if the followup to all the stuff P4A set up is just another fighting game.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Wait, P4A has P2 shit as well? Oh man. This is gonna get a lot weirder from here, isn't it? :lol

DtGE0.png

Speculation on the silhouettes (from L to R):

- No idea on the far left, since its too close to the camera obviously.
- Eriko?
- Ulala
- Nanjo
- Katsuya? Can't see any sideburns due to the silhouette.
- Mitsuru
- Yukari
- Junpei
- No idea. Ken would be taller by now, but still only 13 or 14 at this point and Mitsuru would be unlikely to have him on the team yet.
- Akihiko
- Aigis

There's more P2 allusions in certain endings as well, with the Malevolent Entity.

I'm going to be really disappointed if the followup to all the stuff P4A set up is just another fighting game.
You might know this but I'm not sure many people do, but P4A features a 20 hour story mode in the form of a visual novel.

If a fighting game is the only way to sneak in a semi-sequel with the same characters, I'm totally ok with that.

Trigger

Subbed! :D

Phones as the means to summon personae was something I always thought would be neat. I imagine it will come down to whatever the theme is for Persona 5 though.

Also: People who think P4 Arena's plot hook leads to anything other than a sequel fighting game are setting themselves up.

OH DEAR GOD THAT BANNER

KILL IT WITH FIRE

Indeed. She's just the worst.

XiaNaphryz

Also: People who think P4 Arena's plot hook leads to anything other than a sequel fighting game are setting themselves up.
Many of us would be fine with a sidestory RPG separate from the mainline.

It would beat yet another remake release!

cjkeats

I think the Yukari in that picture is more likely Fuuka, given her current look.

I just wanna know where my man Junepi is.

Trigger

It looks like one of them has a backwards cap on. I assumed that was Junpei.

Many of us would be fine with a sidestory RPG separate from the mainline.

It would beat yet another remake release!

True. The post about Arena basically being a visual novel with fighting game segments is spot on.

XiaNaphryz

I think the Yukari in that picture is more likely Fuuka, given her current look.

I just wanna know where my man Junepi is.

I don't think Fuuka ever officially joined. If I remember Mitsuru's ending right, she asks Fuuka if she'd reconsider or something to that effect.

Who is Igor?

This is a question that doesn't need to be answered.

Who is Nyarlathotep? Does Nyarlathotep have any connections with Persona 3 and 4?

We already know who he is and he has nothing to do with P3 and P4 that we know of, but that's only cuz they haven't made a P3 yet. Honestly I can't believe you're already thinking about Persona 4 when they 3 hasn't even been announced and it's been over a decade since Eternal Punishment!

(Given P3 and P4's ridiculous need to over explain things, I imagine they'll try to explain him as some sort of alien virus from another dimension that bonded with shadows in yet another alternate dimension that also bonded with a robot girl and then fused with Elizabeth)

Dantis

I think Persona 5 will be a completely new story. Like I said in the P4G OT, Arena had very little involvement from Hashino, Soejima and Meguro, and I just can't imagine them structuring their entire project around someone else's story. Particularly when it sold worse than a re-release of their own game.

They have to conclude Arena somehow though, so maybe we'll get a Continuum Shift-esque sequel.

So what is the status of P5; is there any information out there? What a series this is. I'm not a huge fan of jRPG but this, my friends, this series is it.

Shadow Operatives and Elizabeth w/ the Fool Arcana needs to be the focus of the next spinoff. It doesn't even have to be a fighting game.

The girl in the OP is the worst Social Link along with Chihiro.

I would love it if somehow, Satomi Tadashi was directly involved with Persona 5, him being the father of Persona anyhow. He came back for the new Tatsuya scenarios for the Eternal Punishment port!

DtGE0.png

Speculation on the silhouettes (from L to R):

- No idea on the far left, since its too close to the camera obviously.
- Eriko?
- Ulala
- Nanjo
- Katsuya? Can't see any sideburns due to the silhouette.
- Mitsuru
- Yukari
- Junpei
- No idea. Ken would be taller by now, but still only 13 or 14 at this point and Mitsuru would be unlikely to have him on the team yet.
- Akihiko
- Aigis

There's more P2 allusions in certain endings as well, with the Malevolent Entity.

OK, I've seen that picture before but I didn't understand the context. That's so fucking great. I wonder how long they've been wanting to pull the 4 games together.

i would hope P5 is something new. i want o keep things fresh and them to explore new ideas.

and the grand persona unifaction is some spinoff/ new fighting game.

A.E Suggs

I think Persona 5 will be a completely new story. Like I said in the P4G OT, Arena had very little involvement from Hashino, Soejima and Meguro, and I just can't imagine them structuring their entire project around someone else's story. Particularly when it sold worse than a re-release of their own game.

They have to conclude Arena somehow though, so maybe we'll get a Continuum Shift-esque sequel.

They weren't heavily involved but they still were so that still means something. I still would like p5 to be a standalone story on its own and for p4a to still have another fighting game on its own.

That said though p4A overall still made them more money than anything they have made in the last few years. You have to remember it sold over expectations in japan and the arcades its still doing well which is making them more money than their console releases. So if anything they'll make sure their involvement in the next game for the fighting franchise will be a larger role.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom