• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peter Jackson's directs greatest ever WW battle sequence in hollywood history?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For years speculation has raged that director Peter Jackson was making a World War I movie.

Then secretly, in April this year, he did.

The film, Crossing the Line, features biplane dogfights, bayonet charges and 30 cast and crew. It was filmed in Jackson's second home-town of Masterton - home to his palatial mansion and estate - and has had rave reviews at audience screenings.

It's length? Fifteen minutes. Time taken to shoot? Just a few days.

But for those who've seen Crossing the Line - including Hollywood legend Steven Spielberg - it's yet another Jackson masterpiece.

"Did Peter really shoot this in two days?" Spielberg reportedly asked after viewing the film at a US National Association of Broadcasters' conference in April, just weeks after it was shot.

While clips from the film are now available online, Crossing the Line was created to show off a prototype film camera which is set to revolutionise film-making.

The Red One cameras - the brainchild of United States inventor Jim Jannard - are now in production and expected to go on sale next month. They boast an advanced sensor chip, for around $25,000 each, called Mysterium which is said to produce quality that is "better than film".

Jackson had offered to field-test the cameras after seeing early tests in Los Angeles. Jannard, needing a project to showcase the chips, took him up on the offer.

What followed was a film-making session which has astonished industry greats. Jannard flew to Wellington at the same time Jackson began thinking about what to shoot. By the time the inventor touched down, Jackson and partner Fran Walsh had put together a storyline - and a World War I battlefield, troops, weapons and biplanes.

Jackson told OnFilm magazine: "I was bringing my partner Fran Walsh up to speed with the plans, telling her about how cool this battle scene would be, with 30 extras, three aircraft, two field guns and a tank. She looked me in the eye and said, 'Haven't you forgotten the most important thing?' I kind of blinked with confusion, and she said, 'A script'."

Jackson cobbled a storyline together and when Jannard arrived, he told OnFilm: "In the time it takes to fly from Orange County to Wellington, Peter built a story in his head and pulled together his small army and was ready to shoot a mini-movie."

A spokesman for Jackson told the Herald on Sunday that professional actors and a crew from Wellington spent a few days in Masterton working on Crossing the Line, with studio work in Wellington the week.

"Peter is a World War I enthusiast. It was an opportunity to put that into play."

Crossing The Line has created a huge industry buzz around the Red One cameras, which will sell for less than the standard cameras used for Hollywood-quality movies.

The appeal of the project to Jackson harks back to his independent film-making roots. He told OnFilm: "If the cost of these films can be reduced in any way it will, hopefully, allow the studios to relax a little and let some more creative risk-taking sneak back into the genre."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1501119/story.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=10459920

Steven Spielberg , the guy who directed the Saving Private Ryan Beach landing scene was taken aback by the 15 minutes of war....now I really want to see what this is

The movie: Crossing the Line

The moment: World War I

Belfast

I have to say that from the clip, it looks very, very nice! Sadly, no real action in the clip, it's more a bit of the build-up I'd say.

But it's still a good showpiece for these new cameras.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I heard the directors cut adds and additional 5 minutes of never before seen footage.

Thats like (20/15)% more footage!

Darko

scola said:
I heard the directors cut adds and additional 5 minutes of never before seen footage.

Thats like (20/15)% more footage!

noe! they r splitting the 15mins up into a 3 part trilogy!

ToxicAdam

They boast an advanced sensor chip, for around $25,000 each, called Mysterium

This guy was smart enough to develop this technology, but incapable of producing a good name. Genius works in strange ways.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Jackson told OnFilm magazine: "I was bringing my partner Fran Walsh up to speed with the plans, telling her about how cool this battle scene would be, with 30 extras, three aircraft, two field guns and a tank. She looked me in the eye and said, 'Haven't you forgotten the most important thing?' I kind of blinked with confusion, and she said, 'A script'."
How telling...

Tokubetsu

Quick trip to wikipedia for some more info:

The sensor will have a 12 Megapixel CMOS (brand name: Mysterium) that is 24.4mm x 13.7mm, with 4520x2540 active pixels, 4900x2580 full pixels, and a 66dB dynamic range. The Mysterium sensor has the same active area as a Super 35 film frame (masked to a 16:9 aspect ratio), allowing the same shallow depth of field to be produced in conjunction with lenses designed to cover the 35mm format.

The camera also allows the sensor to be used in a 'windowed' mode, in which the sensor can emulate the active area of a Super 16 film frame while capturing 2K footage. This allows the camera to be used with lenses designed to cover the super 16 format. Mysterium is the company's proprietary sensor design.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RED_ONE

Really, the camera is impressive but all that is really required is essentially a 35mm digital SLR with a 24fps motor in it. I'd imagine the dificulty is storing the photographed data not capturing it.

Odrion

Banned
That camera zoom in for the explosions looks pretty cheesy.

Those extras did look kickass though, and now I want to rewatch Band of Brothers. :[

Mr_Moogle

Well its about time World War One gets some attention. The only movies I've seen about WW1 were 'All Quiet on the Western Front' and 'Gallipoli'. Both good films.

Im kinda sick of the whole 'America saves the world' bullshit you seem to get in many modern war films.

I know there's a cat picture for this kind of thread... I saw it earlier...

Found it!

1185211631-1176060510805.b.jpg

Mr_Moogle said:
Well its about time World War One gets some attention. The only movies I've seen about WW1 were 'All Quiet on the Western Front' and 'Gallipoli'. Both good films.

Im kinda sick of the whole 'America saves the world' bullshit you seem to get in many modern war films.

A Very Long Engagement is quite good.

Aaron

silenttwn said:
He and New Line need to kiss up and make The Hobbit already. Ian McKellen ain't getting any younger, god durnit.
Off topic, but they pretty much have. Apparently, all that's left is ironing out the particulars.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Just finished watching that clip and that was by far the biggest cinema tease I've ever seen.

I WANT MORE OF THAT OMG

Then coming to the realization that its only 15 minutes long is almost near depressing.

There really needs to be a realistic, non-romanticized World War I film in this same vein. The quality was unsurpassed, too. It did, in fact, seem different compared to other film types/cameras. Saw far more attention and detail than ever before.

Is there going to be anywhere to see the full 15 minute version of this? :( :(

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
That camera has seen so many delays that I was starting to think 3D-Realms was involved. And, wasn't it supposed to be $16,000? Still, DO WANT.

Those Red One cameras are the hotness. I've seen a few from time to time at industry shows like NAB. They are a revolution.

542zo9d.jpg

This is an actual production model with cage. The old prototypes looked even cooler.

Meier said:
I find it so odd how he always refers to her as his partner. You'd swear they were gay or something.

Because that word can only be used when two gay people are talking about their special gay someone... right?

Solo

karasu said:
I have a really hard time believing that I'd be impressed by one of his battle scenes.

Spielberg was blown away by the plane-catching scene in Superman Returns, so I dont find it hard to believe this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom