• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Petition to split California into six states gets green light

Status
Not open for further replies.

BWJinxing

With 6 states, the impact on the electoral college would be interesting. Cali is normally 55 or so votes Democrat. The swing state possibilities here.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
I live in Silicon Valley, and everyone I meet is pretty consistently liberal. Plus the area consistently votes Democrat, unlike orange county.

Are you sure you're not just talking about Sand Hill Road in Palo Alto?

I live here as well and spent another portion of my life in Orange County.

I'm referring to both Silicon Valley and Orange County's tendencies to perceive themselves as a persecuted City on a Hill, being held back by the rest of the state/country. Both areas are cultural and sociopolitical bubbles in suburbia sprawl, with a sense of being separate from and above the rest of the state.

I know I'm painting with broad strokes here, but frankly this is the image defined by the most vocal and powerful elements of both areas: the moneyed, conservative high-society circles of OC and the corporate libertarian/technocrats from tech and VC sectors of Silicon valley.

Duxxy3

In a way it does make sense. The governor of that state has more responsibility than most presidents.

edit: The electoral college may have to be thrown out if this were actually done. State lines would be drawn around voter registration, and that would change every presidential election.

Mr.Mike

In a way it does make sense. The governor of that state has more responsibility than most presidents.

edit: The electoral college may have to be thrown out if this were actually done. State lines would be drawn around voter registration, and that would change every presidential election.

Oh no, what a terrible shame that the electoral college would have to be replaced...

S-Wind

Canada's provinces are largely barren wastelands. Pennsylvania already matches the population of Canada's most populous province, and New York is 1.5x its population.

New Jersey has a million more people than Canada's second most populous province. New Jersey.

You have to keep it in perspective.

You are aware of the fact that Canada only has ~35 million people, right? That's a little more than 10% of the U.S.'s population.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This guy is completely delusional. You can't just internally declare yourself a smaller state.

Actually, what would happen to the California state schools?

Nothing, the idea is beyond untenable. Its like asking what would happen if the US were to invade and seize Switzerland. California can't unilaterally declare itself a different state.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
This guy is completely delusional. You can't just internally declare yourself a smaller state.

Nothing, the idea is beyond untenable. Its like asking what would happen if the US were to invade and seize Switzerland. California can't unilaterally declare itself a different state.

Hey now, what did we do to deserve this.

Luigiv

How about instead of splitting California we just combine a bunch of the Northeastern states into one large state. Our states should become closer to the size of Canada's provinces.

Think bigger. Your states should all be the size of Western Australia.

RevDM

Banned
Two state split would be more reasonable. All cities along the coast from San Diego counties through the border of Oregon can be California. Fresno and Bakersfield and other butthole parts of east Cali can be Arizona 2. Fuck Zonies.

mclem

North California, South California, East California, West California, Left California, Right California.
Top California, Bottom California, Up California, Down California, Charm California, Strange California.

(Twinned with Strange Texas!)

Trying to figure out if this is a devious gerrymandering gambit. California being so strongly Democratic, but are there a few Republican strongholds?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Hey now, what did we do to deserve this.
I needed somewhere neutral and semi-random for my example. :lol

The GOP would love this.
The parts of California with people in them are all democrat controlled. It would be a net loss in Senators and no gain in the House since the districts would be roughly the same as they are now.

Loki

Count of Concision
A venture capitalist who feels colossal California is too unwieldy to govern

A "venture capitalist" <snicker>. There is apparently NO LIMIT to the idiocy that rich folks will spout, since they are completely insulated from any and all consequences in our society. They also believe that just because they have money, their ideas are somehow of more merit than anyone else's. Sad.

FStop7

Banned
This guy doesn't understand the purpose of the Senate. The House of Representatives is for population.

There's a lot of shit that guy doesn't understand, apparently. Kind of scary that he's got wealth and influence.

I live here as well and spent another portion of my life in Orange County.

I'm referring to both Silicon Valley and Orange County's tendencies to perceive themselves as a persecuted City on a Hill, being held back by the rest of the state/country. Both areas are cultural and sociopolitical bubbles in suburbia sprawl, with a sense of being separate from and above the rest of the state.

I know I'm painting with broad strokes here, but frankly this is the image defined by the most vocal and powerful elements of both areas: the moneyed, conservative high-society circles of OC and the corporate libertarian/technocrats from tech and VC sectors of Silicon valley.

The best part is that they think they're somehow being clever or insightful. I guess that's why they're here and not in Washington DC, where the real political operators are. They'd be chewed up and spat out in a minute.

Linkyn

I'm not from the US and have only a basic understanding of how their political system works, but this sounds a little like a ploy to get more Republican representation in Congress.

Out of interest, how were the size of the states formed? Did someone get a map of America, and using a ruler just drew a few lines and was like, yeah that'll do? It's weird seeing the country split with straight lines.

JCX

I feel like this will cause further polarization. What's to stop NYC and Chicago from becoming City-States? States should have a blend of ideologies to moderate the extremes.

Someone on dailykos ran presidential election numbers for these states and this basically gives the GOP a majority of the EVs for a (former) state that Obama won more than 60% in.

Totally not an agenda.

Also I like how his rationale is that California has become ungovernable when it's actually doing better under Brown than it has... since Brown was last governor, probably.

Draxal

I feel like this will cause further polarization. What's to stop NYC and Chicago from becoming City-States? States should have a blend of ideologies to moderate the extremes.

Well the problem is that NYC is dependent on the rest of the state as well in some regards so that upstate is extremely bitter about NYC.

I still find it funny than San Bernadino county is bigger than 4 states.

Draxal

This sounds like a ridiculous right-wing plan to somehow get parts of California back into the red column during national elections.

I really don't think it does, it really does sound like bitter Intrastate wars just like Upstate NY vs NYC, south jersey vs north jersey etc ..

Sinfamy

The only people who want this is the GOP. They want to split the votes to prevent the entire state from always going democrat.

Wag

seven_superman_07.jpg

Where's Luthorville and Otisburg?

The only people who want this is the GOP. They want to split the votes to prevent the entire state from always going democrat.
"Only people". That's a lot of people, unless you're on GAF. But I imagine they wouldn't actually want this due to the Senate tipping very heavily in the Democrats favor I would have to imagine. Two states make more sense for them I would think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom