• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PGA Golfer: Phil Mickelson is phoney as f***: OLD THREAD ALERT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinobi

Well, that's not an exact quote...but it's pretty much the same message.

Aug. 20, 2005. 01:00 AM
Lefty's nice-guy image just a big act, says Aussie

Australian golfer Paul Gow has said loudly what many have only whispered — that Phil Mickelson is not all that he seems.

In a candid interview with Australian radio, Gow said the 2005 PGA Champion and 2004 Masters winner isn't popular with his peers.

"They wouldn't feed him," said Gow, a 34-year-old journeyman who's never won on the PGA Tour. "He ignores the other players. He's an arrogant person. He's the opposite — what you see on television is totally different to what he is around the clubhouse. And Tiger (Woods) is the opposite — he will talk to you, he will sit down next to you at lunch and ask about your family and stuff. Phil is the opposite. He has done some great acting classes in Hollywood and they've worked out for him."

Vijay Singh raised some eyebrows last year when he was talking about Mickelson's image and said, "Is that the real Phil?" But Gow's comments are unusually strong for a PGA Tour player.

There was no word of any response from Mickelson.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...656&call_pageid=969907739820&col=970081601705

I've always suspected that Mickelson was a phoney...that big, goofy smile that he has looks faker then some of XBox 360's promises. It's good to see that my observation has been vindicated.

It's also interesting to see that Tiger is said to be quite cordial behind the scenes, when some people in the media love to give a different impression. I've found it curious how Tiger is measured up to ridiculous, bullshit standards or is constantly compared to Nicklaus and Palmer in everything from how fast he plays a hole to how he holds his fucking fork. Yet these same media blowhards will ride the dick of an obvious phoney in Mickelson come hell or highwater. But then what else would I expect from the media?

Anyway, here's the bottom line...

050412004233.ylymcyv52b.jpg

Tiger Woods = nicer then you think
Phil Mickelson = phoney as fuck

Feel free to list other athletes who fall into the phoney as fuck category.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
As long as an athlete helps my team win he can dropkick infants into the canal for all I care.

That said:

sosaud.jpg

I've never understood the appeal of Phil. To me, he always seems like he has a forced smile.

BTW, that picture of Tiger and Phil at the Masters is classic. Tiger barely gave him a look both in the cabin and outside. Awesome stuff.

pestul

Just because he's a rare lefty golfer doesn't mean hold him back from being an asshole.. I actually believe this. After his win a couple weeks ago at pga and the way he talked to his kids...

acidviper

Banned
GitarooMan said:
I've never understood the appeal of Phil. To me, he always seems like he has a forced smile.

BTW, that picture of Tiger and Phil at the Masters is classic. Tiger barely gave him a look both in the cabin and outside. Awesome stuff.

He's a fat guy. People like jolly fat guys. He can get emotional and he talks to fans. Albeit the fans are probably millionaires and the like, but he plays his cards right with the people that get close to the holes.

BTW Tiger, VJ, and Phil all hate each other.

Shinobi said:
I've found it curious how Tiger is measured up to ridiculous, bullshit standards or is constantly compared to Nicklaus and Palmer in everything from how fast he plays a hole to how he holds his fucking fork.
What in the hell are you talking about? The only reason he's compared to Nickalus and Palmer is because they're the only guys worthy to so much as carry Tiger's jock strap around. And the only he's held to bullshit standards is because if he were held to anything less, he'd demolish the standard. A lot of those standards are self imposed by Tiger himself. And even when he's not doing well, the media still fawns all over him. A friend of my in-laws was in contention this last week, within 3 strokes at times, and got absolute squat for coverage. Sure Tiger was either in the lead or just a few strokes out it, but he was in contention in other weeks where Tiger was eeking over the cut line, and maybe he got a couple of shots on TV.

With success, comes expectations.

DJ_Tet

Banned
I've heard this about Phil as well. I also heard that SI was about to expose him as a degenerate gambler but for whatever reason they didn't go through with it.

pestul said:
Just because he's a rare lefty golfer doesn't mean hold him back from being an asshole.. I actually believe this. After his win a couple weeks ago at pga and the way he talked to his kids...

That seemed forced as hell didn't it. "Hey kids, I'm soooo glad you are here to share this with me."

That said, I still like Hefty Lefty. No one ever said you had to be nice to be good.

Bluecondor

Barry Bonds is phony, but for different reasons than Phil. He pretends to be this "I don't care what everyone thinks" badass all the time, when, meanwhile, the second he gets criticized for anything (sucking in the playoffs when he was here in Pittsburgh, BALCO, you name it) - he starts into the whole tired "The media is against me. The fans are against me. Baseball is against me."

If he's such a devil-may-care lone wolf, why does he start crying everytime someone calls him a name.....

AirBrian

DJ_Tet said:
I've heard this about Phil as well. I also heard that SI was about to expose him as a degenerate gambler but for whatever reason they didn't go through with it.
Heh, I remember hearing about that. Too bad, it would've been funny since everyone was cheering for him to finally win a major.

Bluecondor said:
Barry Bonds is phony, but for different reasons than Phil. He pretends to be this "I don't care what everyone thinks" badass all the time, when, meanwhile, the second he gets criticized for anything (sucking in the playoffs when he was here in Pittsburgh, BALCO, you name it) - he starts into the whole tired "The media is against me. The fans are against me. Baseball is against me."

If he's such a devil-may-care lone wolf, why does he start crying everytime someone calls him a name.....

Don't ever slight Barry Bonds again.

Bluecondor

Incognito said:
Don't ever slight Barry Bonds again.

Please - after enduring him in Pittsburgh during our last glory years (early 90s) - he is still loathed by the vast majority of Western Pennsylvanianians.....

Odoul

Kobe-Bryant-settlement-with-Katelyn-Faber-how-much-arton20338.jpg

Well that's obvious. But he copied his fake ass demeanor from someone who's already a fakeass ho who sold his soul to the devil.

michael_jordan(silver-suit-good).jpg

52_JoeyHarrington_face_Seahawks.JPG

This arrogant bum tries so hard to put on a nice guy sunshine image. He doesn't like Detroit, and Detroit doesn't like him.

jeff%20garcia-thumb.jpg
+
030624joey_harrington.jpg

Fukk is goin on in THAT lockerroom?

acidviper

Banned
Squirrel Killer said:
132075.jpg

6-2 190. Not fat.

He is not 190. He may have been 190 when he started, but they don't weigh these guys like boxers. Hell his own website lists him as 195. I say he's 220-230. I assume he has some muscle as he drives pretty well, but man-boobies and gut.

Shinobi

Squirrel Killer said:
What in the hell are you talking about? The only reason he's compared to Nickalus and Palmer is because they're the only guys worthy to so much as carry Tiger's jock strap around. And the only he's held to bullshit standards is because if he were held to anything less, he'd demolish the standard. A lot of those standards are self imposed by Tiger himself. And even when he's not doing well, the media still fawns all over him. A friend of my in-laws was in contention this last week, within 3 strokes at times, and got absolute squat for coverage. Sure Tiger was either in the lead or just a few strokes out it, but he was in contention in other weeks where Tiger was eeking over the cut line, and maybe he got a couple of shots on TV.

With success, comes expectations.

I don't mean in terms of his game...I'm talking about "the way he carries himself". I've heard a few too many media types in recent weeks remark about how arrogant Tiger is, or how snipey Tiger is, and say "Nicklaus or Palmer would never be like that", which is a crock of shit to begin with since Nicklaus was as disliked by people as anyone in the early part of his career.

I just don't see why it matters how Tiger acts or behaves, which for the most part is pretty cordial anyway. The same some people talk, you'd think he was assaulting the galleries with a 9 iron.

Socreges

Banned
that big, goofy smile that he has looks faker then some of XBox 360's promises.
You and your cheesy topical humour. :lol

Oh, and I think the media is generally very fair with Tiger. He's easily the most popular player in decades, and what comes with such popularity? Criticism. Who f'ing cares if a small minority of those with voices decide to take issue with him? The guy is NOT a media darling (not that I think he is unreasonable) and will have to take his shots for that. Nevertheless if I was to generalize I'd say "they" love the guy to death.

I'm not familiar with Mickelson, but I don't doubt he's a prick.

Xenon

Tiger Woods = nicer then you think
Phil Mickelson = phoney as fuck

Probably both = dudes who can be cool but also pricks at times. who cares =P But my opinion of them would improve greatly if either would drop me a couple thousand dollars. The pricks could afford it.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Odoul said:
Kobe-Bryant-settlement-with-Katelyn-Faber-how-much-arton20338.jpg

Well that's obvious. But he copied his fake ass demeanor from someone who's already a fakeass ho who sold his soul to the devil.

michael_jordan(silver-suit-good).jpg

52_JoeyHarrington_face_Seahawks.JPG

This arrogant bum tries so hard to put on a nice guy sunshine image. He doesn't like Detroit, and Detroit doesn't like him.

jeff%20garcia-thumb.jpg
+
030624joey_harrington.jpg

Fukk is goin on in THAT lockerroom?
:lol That Garcia pic is great. Why the fuck did he do that with his hands? :lol

But yea, that Joey stuff is so true. Nobody likes him around here and every year we pray for the back up to kick his ass out. :lol

Haha, Fuck Mickelson. He's so unbelievably fake it's ridiculous. Where's the kids when you lose? Where's the kids when you go home on Friday?

Tiger gets a lot of heat, but some of it is warranted. But I think statements of "Jack or Arnold wouldn't have done that!" is BS as well. I'm sure if the TVs were on a young Jack Nicklaus, he would have been swearing like a mad man. Now, why Tiger gets the most scrutiny is partially race, but it's mainly because he shuns the media. It all began because Tiger once told a reporter something off the record at a dinner as an amateur, and, SURPRISE, the reporter ran with it.

Ok, other fake athletes:

Curt Schilling: That guy needs to be pegged for something. I dunno, the guy just annoys me, and it didn't help that after his heroics he went and pushed for Bush. And he's a fucking Chowd now, so he's the enemy.

Kobe: self-explanatory

Teal'c

Tiger woods's's's attitude is perfect. He's the ultimate person you want to dominate the rest of the field. Just watching him play is a treat. How he can look so pissed on a certain shot and then on the next hole totally put it past him is amazing. The guy is the perfect example of having ice water in his veins. Lefty hides too much and feels phoney. Even if he isn't.. it just doesn't make you say WOW like Tiger does. Its hard to not want Tiger to kick everyones ass. It doesn't matter how much money TIger makes, I'll always want him to kill the the competition.
Which is rare for me, as I usually prefer a level competition... not with Tiger.

Shinobi

Socreges said:
You and your cheesy topical humour. :lol

:lol It was pretty pathetic wasn't it?

I think the media is pretty fair with Tiger...it's just a few people who have gotten on him in recent months (mainly Bob Ryan and Mike Lupica, both of 'em are probably more full of shit then Mickelson) for reasons that are complete and utter bullshit.

Instigator said:
Who cares? It's just golf.

I'm still looking forward to Shinobi's eventual curling topic. :)

One day I should make a thread about curling's hotties...

DJ_Tet said:
Can't spell Schilling without Shill. Perfect example.

:lol

Yes, this is TOTAL abuse of power, and that's because Phil Mickelson deserves the hate of a lifetime. I am not encouraging you guys ti bump old threads, but Phil Mickelson is a special exception!

From today's Tuesday Morning Quarterback

A $54,000 Per Night Hotel Room Costs the Same as the U.S. Median Family Income for a Year: Ian O'Connor of USA Today recently praised golfer Phil Mickelson as generous to the poor, writing, "[Mickelson] pulls over to the curb, with no cameras or notebooks in sight, and hands hundred-dollar bills to homeless men." Hmmm -- if no one with a camera or notebook was present, how does USA Today know this happened? For its part the Wall Street Journal recently reported Mickelson paid $3.4 million for a nine-week penthouse timeshare at Saint Andrews Grand in Scotland, an ultra-lux condo overlooking the Old Course at Saint Andrews, frequent site of the British Open. The price works out to $54,000 per night, making this perhaps the most expensive hotel room in human history. Phil Mickelson -- do you really believe that in a world where the impoverished of Africa die for want of a dollar a day, you are justified in spending $54,000 per night to make yourself feel important? "Woe to you who are rich, for you have received your consolation," Jesus taught.

WasabiKing said:
Yes, this is TOTAL abuse of power, and that's because Phil Mickelson deserves the hate of a lifetime. I am not encouraging you guys ti bump old threads, but Phil Mickelson is a special exception!

From today's Tuesday Morning Quarterback
Wow.

Ian O'Connor of USA Today recently praised golfer Phil Mickelson as generous to the poor, writing, "[Mickelson] pulls over to the curb, with no cameras or notebooks in sight, and hands hundred-dollar bills to homeless men."

That's just ****ing hilarious. Holy shit.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
no sane shop owner would ever accept a 100 dollar bill from a homeless person... way to go phil.

Shinobi said:
I've always suspected that Mickelson was a phoney...that big, goofy smile that he has looks faker then some of XBox 360's promises.
WTF? KEEP THAT SHIT OUT OF THE OT FORUM! PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE

WasabiKing said:
$54,000/night

Don't hate on him cause he's rich.

Seriously, tons of other rich people spend their money on the stupidest shit (just watch Cribs to confirm this) while people all over the world are suffering. Phil is not any better nor any worse.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
well then he should have spent the money on a high quality breast reduction.

levious said:
well then he should have spent the money on a high quality breast reduction.

Nah man, the breasts add momentum to his swing...don't you get it? It's the key to his livelihood. If he reduced his breatisis, he'd lose like, 20 yards off of his tee-shot.

SonnyBoy

Im glad somebody said cus Im tired of hearing all the Tiger Woods hate.

Better golfer and person FTW! :lol I am Tiger Woods. Suck on my wood (3 to be exact) Phillllll.

TMQ said:
Phil Mickelson -- do you really believe that in a world where the impoverished of Africa die for want of a dollar a day, you are justified in spending $54,000 per night to make yourself feel important? "Woe to you who are rich, for you have received your consolation," Jesus taught.

Matthew 26 said:
While Jesus was in Bethany in the home of a man known as Simon the Leper, a woman came to him with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, which she poured on his head as he was reclining at the table.

When the disciples saw this, they were indignant. "Why this waste?" they asked. "This perfume could have been sold at a high price and the money given to the poor."

Aware of this, Jesus said to them, "Why are you bothering this woman? She has done a beautiful thing to me. The poor you will always have with you, but you will not always have me.
We will not always have Phil.

Ripclawe

Banned
PFFT! Phil is just following Oprah's law!

http://people.aol.com/people/article/0,26334,1182572,00.html

Oprah Winfrey is a rich woman – and she's got no problem with that.

Speaking in Baltimore on Monday at a fundraiser for Beth Tfiloh Dahan Community School, Winfrey told the audience, "I have lots of things, like all these Manolo Blahniks. I have all that and I think it's great. I'm not one of those people like, 'Well, we must renounce ourselves.' No, I have a closet full of shoes and it's a good thing."

Winfrey, 52, who is reportedly worth more than $1 billion, said she doesn't feel guilty about her wealth. "I was coming back from Africa on one of my trips," she said. "I had taken one of my wealthy friends with me. She said, 'Don't you just feel guilty? Don't you just feel terrible?' I said, 'No, I don't. I do not know how me being destitute is going to help them.' Then I said when we got home, 'I'm going home to sleep on my Pratesi sheets right now and I'll feel good about it.' "

:D

The only judgment this article makes me want to pass on anyone is the author himself. His attempt to make me dislike someone simply for being rich is childish and petty. There is no other angle to the article. Someone tell this hack what his Jesus thinks of "jealousy."

KingGondo

Banned
Alex Anderson said:
The only judgment this article makes me want to pass on anyone is the author himself. His attempt to make me dislike someone simply for being rich is childish and petty. There is no other angle to the article. Someone tell this hack what his Jesus thinks of "jealousy."

The article's about a fellow player saying Mickelson's a hypocrite, not the author saying so of his own initiative.

You lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom