• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PGR5 speculation thread Lucid dreams with Rare side effects?

I doubt that rumor is true, because it also said they were working on Perfect Dark 2. Lolz.

Don't forget the claim that Shadow Complex 2 was in development as a launch title. Whoever made up those rumours needs to be on the receiving end of a firm kick to the balls.

You don't play with people's emotions when it comes to Shadow Complex 2. You just don't.

Rare are rumoured to be working on a water based racer and Microsoft own the Hydro Thunder IP if I'm not mistaken.

I doubt they are working on HT though, it's probably a new IP.

Interesting, I don't know how I missed the rumor but I loved Hydro Thunder Hurricane (in addition to the Midway original).

m23

With my interest in games like Halo and Gears fading, its up to franchises like Forza and PGR to keep me in the game. If they show even one of these whenever they decide to unveil the new console, I'll probably go out and pre-order right away lol.

I'm wondering what Playground Games will be working on though, Horizon was a great game but I'm interested if they will go on to start a new IP or just keep doing Forza side games. Considering the amount of talent they have in the studio I would expect big things from them.

Hurry up already Microsoft!!

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
PGR5, Forza 5, a Rare Hydro Thunder-like racing game, and a game that's a mix of Okami and Zelda all as possible early games on the Next Xbox?

tumblr_mehf47l8cq1r1krkbo1_400.gif

Can't wait to see what gaming announcements will be made.

Why can't it be Hydro Thunder, Microsoft owns the IP

Guys. Don't get too excited by the Chief Samurai rumour. It originates from Dual Pixels.

It's probably fake.
Well even Dual Pixels they just throw "Chief Samurai" name,never mentioned the gameplay
So i wanna know where is this "Heard it described as a Zelda/Okami style adventure from the creator of Banjo" from too.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Isn't that a typo, though? More likely he meant "want to work on our IP" as opposed to "won't work on our IP". Maybe.
I don't see him saying "They want to work on our IP!" being what he meant either, that implicates too much and doesn't even sound right.

Satchel

Banned
All these rumours make it hard not to get excited.

If most of the leaks and rumours do turn out to be spot on, the new Xbox would have one of, if not THE best launch line up of all time.

Need to keep expectations waaaaaaay loooooow.

Shaneus

Why is no one thinking up a song for the CG intro of PGR5?

Shadow by Prodigy is hard to beat for rising racing hype

I nominate: Warrior's Dance by Prodigy
That's actually pretty good. I would've thought "hmm... same band as PGR4... eh" but that'd suit it quite well.

Having said that, I just relistened to this track and I think it could be perfect for some slow-mo car panning kicking into some quick on-track action:
The Crystal Method - High Roller

I was thinking their other track Keep Hope Alive as well (perhaps as an ode to us PGR fans :p) but apparently it was in PGR4. I wouldn't know, I always turn the music off.

On a similar note, a mate on another forum posted this in a misc. car thread:

To which someone replied:
Just in time for PGR5
Fuck yes.

DocSeuss

Damn, a lot of work in this thread!

MS are tight-lipped bastards. I'm surprised nothing has leaked yet regarding PGR.

Anyway, would be awesome to see PGR5 as a Durango launch title then FM5 a year later.

PGR has always set the standard for visuals so i'm expecting no different here. Can't wait to find out more...

I thought Forza was every other year, meaning that Forza 5 was this fall.

saladine1

I thought Forza was every other year, meaning that Forza 5 was this fall.

That would normally be the case within a generation. However, it's a little different here with a new gen upon us.

I can see 3 year cycles between PGR, Horizon and Forza....

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
They need to spread out the pgr and fm releases 1 year apart besides their development cycles imo. Stop cannibalizing each other and actually market/publicize pgr.

We need pgr back in all its glory.

Inject it into my veins.

Hindle

Banned
Would MS launch a console with a racer as the main launch title? I'm not sure, they've always had a shooter, which is why I think PD may be there.

danwarb

I remember a lot of reviewer complained about PGR4 being unnecessary and more of the same. Bollocks. Damn you reviewers!

PGR5. Get on it.

Hindle

Banned
Why do you think that PGR5 would be their main launch title? They've always had a PGR game at launch (plus a number of other, third party racers).

Mainly because there are tonns of leaks to suggest so. I just think its strange a racing game being a main focus for them.

PGR at launch would be awesome btw, I'm not saying otherwise.

Hana-Bi

Forza is definitely a series that could benefit from more dev time.

I think Dan said one time, that it is fine the way it is. Without a strict deadline they would implement as much features as possible and the development would take a year or two more.

m23

Would MS launch a console with a racer as the main launch title? I'm not sure, they've always had a shooter, which is why I think PD may be there.

PGR3 launched with the 360 and was pushed a lot by Microsoft. No one is saying PGR5 is going to be their main launch title.

Polish wise, they have done alot with the time given.

Damn right, their games are a huge step up each iteration. Which is why I'm so excited to see what Forza 5 will have in store for us.

It will be a good time to be a racing game fan for the next couple years.

saladine1

What Turn 10 do with every new Forza game is simply amazing. Besides the usual career and tracks complaints, they've delivered a very solid performing game in short amounts of time.
Next gen should bring some amazing shit, really looking forward to it.

Anyway, PGR...........we need some Gaf detectives to get to work...TheOddOne..i'm looking at you..

TheOddOne

What Turn 10 do with every new Forza game is simply amazing. Besides the usual career and tracks complaints, they've delivered a very solid performing game in short amounts of time.

Anyway, PGR...........we need some Gaf detectives to get to work...TheOddOne..i'm looking at you..
I think I hit everything so far. Kind of a dry spell now :(

m23

arrlw8.gif

I'm gonna miss Bizzare, hopefully whoever takes over PGR will live up to what Bizarre Creations could have created.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

TBH I think Forza has even innovated in the single player space with Rivals and being able to choose events and catering events to the player.

Saying what Forza has achieved with every iteration as being a step up is an understatement, Forza has crushed expectations, delivered every single time, all while embarrassing their main competitor. Next gen processing power for physics + more detailed liveries *drool*

Shaneus

What am I, chopped liver? Lucid first responded in GAF (and on Facebook, lolz) because of a post I made in the PGR appreciation thread :(

amardilo

I see Playground have been hiring some more devs for a racing game. Wonder if they are working on this or FH2.

A 3 year cycle of PGR, FM and FH would be good to me. PGR for arcade racing, FM for sim racing and FH for open world racing. Plus all studios would get extra development time over the previous 2 year cycle.

m23

I'd rather have Playground start up their own franchise rather than sticking with Horizon. It was a great way to introduce themselves, but they have a lot of talent from many great racing studios so I don't see why they can't create something for themselves rather than working on another studio's IP.

Horizon, as great at it is, doesn't seem like a game that could be built into a full on franchise imo.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'd rather have Playground start up their own franchise rather than sticking with Horizon. It was a great way to introduce themselves, but they have a lot of talent from many great racing studios so I don't see why they can't create something for themselves rather than working on another studio's IP.

Horizon, as great at it is, doesn't seem like a game that could be built into a full on franchise imo.
Why not?

It has Forza on it for branding, and from the looks of it using semi-sim physics to uphold the name doesn't do any ill either. Horizon is their baby and very different from Forza Motorsport, it's essentially like they have their own IP. From when Horizon was announced it was really made to sound that way by Dan too. We already know open-world racing games sell, see the NFS franchise.

I think the trifecta works, and 3 year cycles could work to allow all of these games to innovate and be the best they can be quality-wise, the issue is the long dev cycles may not be profitable, especially with current team sizes. I think they'll still stick with a 2 year cycle between the two Forzas and do a pity PGR a few years later as a one-off (I don't think MS sees long-term strength with the franchise, especially now that they have Forza), but I'd love the triple team.

Year 1 - PGR5 (Rare w/ Lucid & Playground assistance) - City circuit arcade racer
Year 2 - FM5 (T10 w/ Playground assistance) - Sim racer
Year 3 - FH2 (Playground Games w/ T10 assistance) - Open-world semi-sim racer
Year 4 - FM6 (T10 w/ Playground assistance)

etc.

Top Bottom