• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantom Dust Heading Stateside? It's Up To You Guys

novery

From 1UP.com (http://www.1up.com/article2/0,2053,1616126,00.asp)

In a surprise announcement earlier this month, Microsoft admitted having no plans to release Phantom Dust outside of Japan. The company gave no explanation in its press release, but we have uncovered an interesting twist to Phantom Dust's fate. Not only did director Futatsugi admit that his team developed an English version along side its domestic Japanese build, he even loaded up the fully-translated English version on one kiosk at the press event, eager to show it off.

Microsoft's polemic decision to scrap plans to release Phantom Dust outside of Japan is something of a brewing controversy within the company, with game designers and public relations people urging Western Xbox fans to embrace the game and demand its release stateside. One Microsoft representative told me that if demand is strong enough in North America, Microsoft may reverse its previous decision.

My question to you guys is: Do you think Phantom Dust is worth fighting for? I spent about twenty minutes playing the game last Thursday and it definitely has potential. The question on everybody's minds at MS is whether Western gamers will respond to its very Japanese story, art direction, and one-on-one battle system.

So what do you guys think? I was told that if gamers push hard enough, the game will be released in Western markets.

-rp

Mrbob

What the heck are we supposed to do?

Send MS a cookie in the hopes it convinces them to bring the game stateside...??

B'z-chan

Banned
Spread the word that ever Xboxen in america must be heard. Light it up and bring forth Phantom Dust.

Just like Psi Ops this should be even better cause you can do things with your MIND.

I would like nothing more than to see this game get here stateside.

novery

WarPig said:
One-on-one? It was a four-player game at TGS.

DFS.

Sorry, should've been more clear. You're right. It's a four-player game. But you engage and lock-on to enemies.

What I meant to say is: This isn't Virtua Fighter/Tekken style fighting.

-rp

WarPig

See, I'm amazed that they wouldn't release it stateside just to recoup some of the development costs. Do they think it's going to make its money back in Japan alone? Cuz I doubt it...

DFS.

novery

MoxManiac said:
Phantom Who?

sim-jpphantomdust-0001.jpg

sim-jpphantomdust-0006.jpg

sim-jpphantomdust-0007.jpg

sim-jpphantomdust-0012.jpg

-rp

WarPig

It really is pretty cool. I only saw it back at TGS, but the engine was solid at that point, and the design ideas are nifty. They're adapting a bunch of CCG concepts -- collecting powers, creating coordinated sets of powers (decks, basically) -- to a competitive action game, and it seems like it's turning out well.

DFS.

Top Bottom