• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Harrison on whether the rest of the world will see a PS3 price drop like Japan

Rocked

From Edge:

After the price announcement today, will there be a long-term strategy of levelling out the PS3 price worldwide?

PH: Well, what we did today was bring the Japanese price in line with the US and European consumer prices - less than 500 somethings. While I know it's not the financial exchange rate, it's the consumer electronics exchange rate which has been well understood for years. There are reasons for it: the cost of doing business in Europe is higher, proximity of the factory to the Japanese consumer.

what1jxuq9.gif

I came into this thread fully intending to say Phil Harrison was the one Sony PR guy left that could open his mouth without tasting shoe.

*sigh*

COCKLES

being watched
it's the consumer electronics exchange rate which has been well understood for years

Otherwise known as "Europe, assume the position".

FreeStyleKick said:
That is such BS. They usually get a premium compared to the US.

:lol another instance of Sony PR at work

Well Japan usually gets a premium because they usually get systems early. There was about an 8 month gap between the Japanese and US launches of the PS2. So most likely if they pushed the US launch back to July 2007, we'd get a better price (doesn't apply to Europe of course, which is screwed regradless of release date).

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I think I'm going to ban myself from all price/euro related PS3 threads. It will be the best for my sanity and the integrity of my keyboard.

Azih

Odysseus said:
Didn't you hear? Us westerners are happy about the price. Not only that, Europe loves waiting.
ALso the Japanese are happy they're getting 1/5th the shipment North Americans are.

Kabouter

Amir0x said:
*shakes fist* Phil Harrison!

We'll get him yet.
By the end of this generation we'll have him saying "Blast, I would've gotten away with it too if it hadden't been for those meddling GAFfers"

But seriously, there is no reason to charge that much more to Europe save for "because we can".

qirex

You Euro-folks need to remember that US prices don't have tax included like yours. That socialized medicine and cheap university has to come from somewhere!

pkasho

Population density does lower distribution cost... kinda similar to why mobile services cost less in places like HK compared with Canada (in this case not distribution cost).

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Well, what we did today was bring the Japanese price in line with the US and European consumer prices - less than 500 somethings. While I know it's not the financial exchange rate, it's the consumer electronics exchange rate which has been well understood for years. There are reasons for it: the cost of doing business in Europe is higher

but but but... US is $499 , UK is 425 and JPN is 49800.

49800 is way more than 500! we demand the 500 yen PS3!

This whole thing is getting silly - what Kuts said was 49800 is in line with the US $ price and that was always Sonys global pricing scheme...

so okay - that sort of works except 59800 is approx = $499 (so the deluxe edition is the same price)

and lets just take a moment to look at that awesome calculation for europe...

Kens mind : 425 GBP = $499
reality : 425 GBP = $805.

Yes, it might cost more money to do business in Europe...
but twice the cost of doing business in the US?
And how comes this cost of business hasn't affected MS that much?

Top Bottom