• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Harrison told me... lots of things

Belfast

stephentotilo said:
OK. Hold on a minute

I checked back in to see what people were interested in and I'm seeing half the thread going off on some wild misreading of Harrison's quote. I've already called for a tweak to the story to allay any further confusion.

But just to be clear: He's not saying the problem with games is that they're supposed to be fun. He's saying the problem is that the term "video games" implies to many people that games should be about frivolous things. And he's begging to differ, saying that they should cover serious topics.

Some would take the fact that the top games guy at the biggest console-maker in the world wants challenging material on his platform as a good thing.

My apologies for not providing the full context, which is that this came out of a longer talk about Bully and the protests against that game. That context is in the full story.

Sadly, the future of gaming is frivolity and waggle! Ironically enough, most "serious gamers" fail to consider their own interest as an art form or critical medium.

ROFL

Hail Britannia
I think you are all still missing his point. It's useful to remember the context he's coming from - for example the folks at Sony Europe as early as PSOne wanted to allow users to create their own content - live DJs, etc.. Is it fun, art, lifestyle, or entertainment, or all of the above? Those such as Phil way up in the stratospheric echelons of a multinational consumer electronics giant tend to have meetings with other monstrous conglomerates such as cell phone, broadband, tv, media companies, etc. These people are used to taking the long view of things to come, and what they see is a broad spectrum of activities that "video games" is going to be merely one part of. Obvious non-game examples - using your cell phone to check where the nearest place to eat is or perhaps the first truly interactive real-time simulation of your neighbourhood that shows you your bus arriving outside so you can hop aboard as it rolls up... Anyway at some point soon someone is going to release a "video game" that doesn't fall neatly under any conventional category of "simulation", "entertainment" or "education" and we'll all be saying of course, we all knew this was coming, what's the big deal. Maybe Afrika is going to be that? lol no idea. Then there are of course there's the whole 'online communities' thing which is still in its pre-infancy...
Might also be worth remembering that Harrison represents a company called Sony *Computer Entertainment*, who have a history of referring to 'digital interactive content' and other such vague terms intended to embrace as wide a scope as possible. He specifically said his issue is that our "industry" is labeled "video games" - in other words, he sees the total endeavour as more than just games, and that the "Play"Station is a platform capable of delivering more experiences than the simple definition of "playing games". Phil may be opinionated, he may be saying something that is hard to comprehend, but he's NOT stupid. The way I look at it, even if he is only referring to video games, one might draw the analogy of films - is Schindler's List a "fun" film? Is the medium of film merely "entertainment" and nothing more? Most would think not.

Top Bottom