• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer comments on AI: ‘I’m protective of the creative process’

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
2619.jpg

Talking at the Xbox games showcase in Los Angeles recently, Xbox chief Phil Spencer played down concerns that AI could be used to streamline the game production process and therefore lead to smaller teams.

“Actually, that isn’t an area we’re thinking about a ton with AI,” he said. “One of the areas where AI is probably front and centre for us is policy and enforcement. In terms of the safety of our networks and just the amount of traffic that happens on Xbox Live, it’s almost incomprehensible for a human who’s trying to monitor that – so applying technology that can ensure that the right conversations are happening with the right people, that’s an area where the intersection between Microsoft’s AI capability and what gaming is doing is important.”

“I’ll say as a head of Xbox, I’m very protective of the creative process,”
said Spencer. “A year or maybe 18 months ago, every question I got was, when am I building the NFT game? And, I’m like, games aren’t built to showcase technology. Technology helps showcase the creativity in a game. AI’s been in video games for decades and I like to make tools available to our creators so they can make the best games, and that’s where I start.”

As for the growing interest in using ChatGPT-like models to create NPC dialogue, Spencer was similarly circumspect. “I don’t think we’ve found the intersection of large language model AI and more fun in a video game. I’m not saying we won’t, but I like to enable our teams to think about that as an expanded part of their canvas and where they can find more fun before it would get to any kind of efficiency thing.”

“Efficiency only matters if you found success with the thing that you’re trying to grow and build.”

Knightime_X

AI’s been in video games for decades and I like to make tools available to our creators

I'm sorry for the artists who will lose their jobs.
Artists will adapted and evolve.
By the time AI is truly good humans can't compete.
AI has already proven to mop the floor with us when it comes to creative outcomes.
Though, mostly through prompts.

sachos

Generative AI is here to stay, i think it will be inevitably added to all parts of the game dev cycle, from code, to music and art. I have hopes it will empower AAA to go back to shorter dev cycles without losing quality and it will empower small Indie devs to reach AAA quality with much less effort.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The problem with ai generation for code is it’s almost never the best way or best practice.

AI doesn’t equal correct or best. It’s mostly just based on the most information that it can find.

Top Bottom