• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Dice 2018 Keynote.

Journey

Banned
Is he putting on weight? Either way, can anyone summarize what he said. Or if there's anything useful?

He does look like he gained some weight, noticeable around his waist line. But he better be careful, if he loses weight now, he'll be attacked like J Allard lol.

He's talking about gaming in general, with the focus of his topic being how important world building is in games; makes reference to Zelda, Uncharted, Life is Strange, Inside, Halo. Talks about growth opportunity for gaming in general, for different cultures/backgrounds. Also talks about the corporate culture of gaming, needs change/diversity. Very little to do with Xbox, but more about gaming in general if anyone is wondering.

A.Romero

He does look like he gained some weight, noticeable around his waist line. But he better be careful, if he loses weight now, he'll be attacked like J Allard lol.

He's talking about gaming in general, with the focus of his topic being how important world building is in games; makes reference to Zelda, Uncharted, Life is Strange, Inside, Halo. Talks about growth opportunity for gaming in general, for different cultures/backgrounds. Also talks about the corporate culture of gaming, needs change/diversity. Very little to do with Xbox, but more about gaming in general if anyone is wondering.

Thanks for the summary. It seems I didn't miss much.

I'm all for diversity but I'm not sure that's the most important thing that gaming needs right now. If anything it should be as diverse as any other industry.

Thanks for the summary. It seems I didn't miss much.

I'm all for diversity but I'm not sure that's the most important thing that gaming needs right now. If anything it should be as diverse as any other industry.
As I've said in another thread, we are seeing more diversity(in the west) than we did the previous gen. Especially when it comes to women protagonists. Though I am still waiting to see a gay male protagonist in a non rpg game

Last edited:

Toe-Knee

As I've said in another thread, we are seeing more diversity(in the west) than we did the previous gen. Especially when it comes to women protagonists. Though I am still waiting to see a gay male protagonist in a non rpg game

If you don't count it as an rpg (I don't). Ac syndicate had a bisexual male protagonist

I finally got around to watching this. I like Phil Spencer but the entire talk came across as a bit of generic corporate diversity speech circa 2014 to me. "Diversity" is already a driving narrative in tech and the games industry, so I feel that he was preaching to the choir there.

There were a couple of annecdotes from Phil's formative gaming years that were cool to hear though.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm sorry but did anybody actually watch this speech? I posted yesterday but i did watch this in it's entirety when I got home.

This is not so much about individual gaming or an announcement like you would see at E3. This is a speech about how Microsoft got to where it is right now. Phil admits the mistakes that were made by Microsoft since 2012 and how they had to change their entire culture to reinvent themselves. It is a deeply political speech that touches on very fragile subjects in society such as race and social inclusion of different world views. To see this coming out of a person in his position is greatly refreshing for me.

Don't just write this off as "the Xbox Boss spitting gibberish about something or other". There is a very important message that I feel everyone needs to listen to.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Seriously, the first few comments of this post...are just sad. Like seriously people need to grow up.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Phil isn't well known for the follow-through on his messages.

Really? Do Tell? Give me some of these examples where he doesn't follow through. Enlighten me.

Secondly, did you even watch the video? Phil isn't talking about following through on anything in particular. Phil is discussing world building and how developers in general have an opportunity to make games that include a variety of world views in the future. He speaking to a crowd of developers and urging them to make strides in decreasing racism, sexism and overt nationalism in games and to bring about more inclusion.

These mindless comments don't bring anything new to the conversation.

koosa

Banned
bitbydeath why are you trying to derail the thread? Can't we have one normal discussion on microsoft/xbox without fucking sony asslicker showing up?
First article, at E3 2015 they focused on 1st party, here's a recap from ign http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/15/everything-announced-at-microsofts-e3-conference?page=1. And they had new 1st party ip (recore). You can argue about quality, but you can't call Spencer a liar on that one.
Second article: ,,Xbox head Phil Spencer has confirmed that despite its conspicuous absence during the launch event, virtual reality will still be part of the Xbox One X’s future.'' One X launched in november, it's been out for only 4 months. Future might be this year's E3, or next year, but Phil never said, VR will launch the same day as Xbox X.

I feel stupid that during ps3 era i shared my passion for playstation with idiots like you. At least sony's giving you a nice pounding with their arrogant politics since ps4 launched.

hiphopcr

True, although I know he meant for the next gen. I too hope they build something with the same care and effort that was put into Xbox One X.
The One S is ultra sexy and well designed as well, whatever happened internally in their design department is working.

Btw I read this as 'Phil Spencer Dies' initially :eek::(

Top Bottom