• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Owned Xbox Games to be playable on xCloud starting in 2024 (Rumor)

Quasicat

If you want to play games in the worst way possible go ahead. Some of us have standards.
Use case for this is different for everyone. I have a TV where my Xbox is connected, and is used by other members of my family throughout the day. The only time I have access to it are a couple of evenings a week, after everyone is in bed. I bought a Steam Deck and can play it in the bedroom when my wife wants the living room. I then got Cloud Gaming running on it and it’s been amazing. I would love to be able to play other titles that I have purchased for my Xbox while I’m unable to play near the console.

Zuzu

Xloud worked very well last time I tried it with Gear 5 DLC. So this is a nice additional convenience and hopefully it’ll continue to get better.

reinking

Gold Member
I thought Xbox already had remote play. I guess this brings the ability to xCloud for convenience? I assume remote play will still be available for those that do not subscribe to GPU.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I thought Xbox already had remote play. I guess this brings the ability to xCloud for convenience? I assume remote play will still be available for those that do not subscribe to GPU.
Remote play is there but that’s a different thing. When this cloud streaming works well you could pack away your Xbox and replace it with a PC and play your old owned Xbox games through the cloud without having to dig out some old plastics from the attic.

Streaming tech needs to be improved though, right now they’re behind everyone unless there has been an update I haven’t heard about.

Topher

Gold Member
I didn’t clock my queue time but it was unacceptable, especially since I had the founders sub which was supposed to erase queues.

But Geforce Now have great streaming once you’re up and running, very little latency in my area, iirc the ping check said like 15ms, almost feels like native.

Not a popular opinion but Stadia was awesome, no queues, probably because everybody thought it was shit besides me. I played through the complete new Tomb Raider trilogy. 60fps. Zero issues. It just worked. Best streaming experience when it comes to general functionality with queues and UI etc. Had very little latency at my place as well.

The tech behind Stadia was top notch. Just the implementation of the subscription service itself is what everyone hated.

A rumor that most people would consider positive.

In Neogaf? Pure negativity. At least try to be subtle guys. Holy sh*t. Do you guys go to bed clenching your teeth in anger at anything Xbox related? I hope you're all using your retainers or you'll have really expensive dental bills in the future.

Disdain for streaming is not limited to Xbox or NeoGAF.

Fredrik

It doesn't seem like it could work with physical games, tbh. I guess if your Xbox was set to be accessed remotely they could do the verification from there and then flip you over to Xcloud. Seems like a digital only thing though.
They could let us use the discs on a Xbox to be added to the account. Has to be done some day otherwise we’ll lose access to all our physical games once they stop making new consoles.

DaGwaphics

They could let us use the discs on a Xbox to be added to the account. Has to be done some day otherwise we’ll lose access to all our physical games once they stop making new consoles.

If that is the way they go at some point, they probably wouldn't even care, tbh. Wouldn't be any different than Genesis cartridges etc. Digital purchases they might try to push over to PC as best they can.

They should probably fix their windows store to incorporate all games to be play anywhere. Was impress when I went back and forth playing Like a Dragon Gaiden on my series x and gaming laptop and saves are just uploaded instantly. Real future shit that.
But looking at the play anywhere whitelist its so half baked and screams of we dont how to make this the biggest bullet point of why you game within the xbox ecosystem.

reinking

Gold Member
Remote play is there but that’s a different thing. When this cloud streaming works well you could pack away your Xbox and replace it with a PC and play your old owned Xbox games through the cloud without having to dig out some old plastics from the attic.

Streaming tech needs to be improved though, right now they’re behind everyone unless there has been an update I haven’t heard about.
Will streaming games you already own require a subscription? I'm not really big on that idea. I guess they really do not care though. If they (all parties, not just MS) get their way, that will mean that enough gamers bought in that those that leave will not be missed. Sort of how we have ended up living with so many MTX and service games. :messenger_anguished:

DaGwaphics

Will streaming games you already own require a subscription? I'm not really big on that idea. I guess they really do not care though. If they (all parties, not just MS) get their way, that will mean that enough gamers bought in that those that leave will not be missed. Sort of how we have ended up living with so many MTX and service games. :messenger_anguished:

Even with MS/Sony scale it has to cost them something to run the server farms. It would make it difficult to operate without some kind of charge or ads. Xcloud is more of a bonus feature for users with GPU, this would just add another benefit to that. At least that's the way I'm looking at it.

Fredrik

The tech behind Stadia was top notch. Just the implementation of the subscription service itself is what everyone hated.
There was lots of hate on the streaming tech as well, that’s why I recorded those videos, people were thrashing streaming and said it was unplayable.

For me it was at most like playing without game mode on the TV. Iirc someone counted the latency from button press to action to one frame. Not for fighting game frame counters I guess but otherwise it was fine for me. Blessed with servers nearby I assume.

For me Stadia fell on the hardware being weak, with Geforce Now I could get everything to run at 60fps but Google stayed on that old gen+ hardware and never updated it even though they talked about how cloud gaming would always be ahead of native hardware. And since devs had to do ports there was very little games added when the service was so small. And games were sold at full price.

Techwise xcloud isn’t even close, it’s incredibly bad in comparison. The only thing they have going is Gamepass and if this rumour is true getting access to your owned games library. They need to seriously update the streaming tech and increase the server count.

Topher

Gold Member
There was lots of hate on the streaming tech as well, that’s why I recorded those videos, people were thrashing streaming and said it was unplayable.

For me it was at most like playing without game mode on the TV. Iirc someone counted the latency from button press to action to one frame. Not for fighting game frame counters I guess but otherwise it was fine for me. Blessed with servers nearby I assume.

For me Stadia fell on the hardware being weak, with Geforce Now I could get everything to run at 60fps but Google stayed on that old gen+ hardware and never updated it even though they talked about how cloud gaming would always be ahead of native hardware. And since devs had to do ports there was very little games added when the service was so small. And games were sold at full price.

Techwise xcloud isn’t even close, it’s incredibly bad in comparison. The only thing they have going is Gamepass and if this rumour is true getting access to your owned games library. They need to seriously update the streaming tech and increase the server count.

That's a needed feature to compete with Geforce Now, that's for sure. Didn't realize Stadia tech got hate. I tried some of the free games and thought it was excellent.

Fredrik

Yeah it’s on Gamepass Ultimate. It’s like how Sony do it with Playstation Plus Premium.

Tbh in the future I think it’ll be how we all play. But that’s far out, I’ll be an old man shouting at the clouds at that point, nothing I worry about now. I guess the upside is that we could run games on some super computer and won’t have to pay $2500 for a new Nvidia graphics card.

Fox Mulder

I still shudder at the time I tried to play R&C: Into The Nexus on PS Now, I can accept its blurry but is it less laggy nowadays?

I think that game already had pretty bad input lag locally due to the way they achieved their 30fps lock, with streaming lag it was horrible.

Trash Panic felt decent last time I played that though.

I last played and beat the Sly Cooper collection on PS Now and it was fine. I was impressed as everyone just only shits on cloud gaming.

Haven’t been on since they combined the service with PS+ and I only kept the lowest tier though.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ahh yes, instead of playing those games I own on the hardware I also own let's stream them so they're laggy as fuck and look like shit.

Can't wait

What's stopping you from continuing to play them on the hardware?

Top Bottom