• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer wants Sony and Nintendo games on Xbox, but says he doesn’t expect it

Buggy Loop

That's not how it works though. If someone buys an Xbox game on Steam, they get that revenue minus 30% or whatever. That's it. If someone buys an Xbox to get that game, that person is now in the Xbox ecosystem and MS will make money from every transaction they make in that ecosystem (buying other games from which MS gets a cut, microtransactions, subscriptions). They would much rather have the latter, but they haven't been able to entice enough people to join that ecosystem.

No

This is Microsoft. You don't get to be the biggest company in the world by playing by those simplistic rules you think you exposed. You're on windows system when you buy the game. They'll be doing data selling from the analytics and so on. You're basically a product soon as you install windows / office / OneDrive, etc. They don't really lose shit, they're a $3 Trillion company. Even if you disabled it, how many do you think have no idea? They make so much that all these services and OS that are "free" are making them billions and billions.

They should definitely revamp the windows store though on PC and lower revenue fees to 10%, but to actually lower pricing this time, unlike fucking Epic game store. It would attract peoples to the store rather than Steam. They should also implement blockchain. Same as bitcoin and crypto. You buy a key. It's yours. Want to resell it? Blockchain allows it. You want to sell it to Gamestop used? You can. You want to give it to a friend? You can. Same benefits as physical. Hell, with that blockchain based digital wallet, you could even resell your DLCs, rare skins, etc. That keychain could also be valid for Xbox & PC. An xbox guy could sell you the key but you install on PC. The immutability of blockchain also makes it nearly impossible to pirate.

Microsoft can do so much with the leverage of console manufacturing AND their foothold in PC. They need to wake the fuck up.

Last edited:

CLW

Animated GIF

Phil Spencer IQ < Gump

GIF by Giphy QA

Kokoloko85

Dont worry Phil, “If we can get them (hardcore Xbox fans) to love it they will evangelize”
Im sure the memo has been sent to the Shill discord and all of them will start saying PS and Nintendo have To go Multiplatform too, otherwise:

A.) They will fall behind Xbox numbers who are leading in some twisted made up way
B.) PS and Nintendo are anti consumer, anti gamer if they dont go multiplatform

Destin, Tim Dog and co will start Evangelizing too

graywolf323

Deeply hilarious that he's complaining about competitors not porting games when he's been the most active game forecloser in the past 4 years at least.
yep, according to Phil it’s awful that Helldivers 2 isn’t on Xbox (nvm that the series has never been on Xbox) but it’s perfectly okay that Hellblade 2 won’t be on PlayStation (despite the original one originally releasing on PS) 🤨

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
“I will say, when I look at a game like Helldivers 2 – and it’s a great game, kudos to the team shipping on PC and PlayStation – I’m not exactly sure who it helps in the industry by not being on Xbox,”

Careful, Phil. Lots of folks here on GAF have been wagging their fingers when it comes to port begging.

Bad Boy Shame On You GIF by Reaction GIFs

DaGwaphics

IKR.

I thought I was locked up and awkward socially. People seem like they have no opinions on anything today, which is quite obvious (one of the most elaborate pranks I ever seen, tbh.). Everyone should have opinions since without those we can't talk to each other at all. It might be a bit better if society as a whole was a little better at accepting that other people think differently about things, but we do still need to be individuals. That's why I changed my user image on here because I realized I was the most obnoxious poster on the board. I was treating it like a sport or a battle of ideas rather than a discussion. You don't build out your friends lists like that.

I don't know how you guys (or someone that must really want to prank me) managed to do it, but my CNN is literally hilarious tonight.

Last edited:
“I will say, when I look at a game like Helldivers 2 – and it’s a great game, kudos to the team shipping on PC and PlayStation – I’m not exactly sure who it helps in the industry by not being on Xbox,”

Careful, Phil. Lots of folks here on GAF have been wagging their fingers when it comes to port begging.
He is asking for Helldivers, not God of War. Makes sense to launch it on xbox as those types of games are primarily played on the system.

Pretty sure Hellblade 2 will be making its way to Playstation. And any Japanese games Xbox makes.

Killjoy-NL

he has acquired publishers to make their products exclusive to xbox but wants sony and nintendo to bring their games to xbox :messenger_hushed:
Remember, Phil is the "good guy" who "cares about gamers".

He also said they were so great for being the first to allow cross-platform gaming, while FFXIV still hasn't been released on Xbox because of their cross-platform policies.

They're the biggest hypocrites out of the big 3.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
He is asking for Helldivers, not God of War. Makes sense to launch it on xbox as those types of games are primarily played on the system.

Pretty sure Hellblade 2 will be making its way to Playstation. And any Japanese games Xbox makes.

That's fine. Not really making this about him, but rather the people who like to make "port begging" a big deal when it is convenient to do so.

Personally, I see no problem with anyone who wants a game from another system on the system they own.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
It would be a very good move for Sony to take some of their (much) older games and put them on Xbox. You could squeeze more juice out of games like Ghosts of Tsushima and others…

Nintendo? No. They’re a one trick pony.

MrTired

They got the sale either PC or Xbox, it's a win-win. Who cares that someone paid their games on PC (also their home with windows) rather than a plastic box? It's archaic thinking for epeen wars.

Nope it not a win win. According to Sony's an early adopter is spends well over a $1000 over the lifetime of console. So the calculation isn't $70 Vs $70 it's $1000 Vs $70 or how many Microsoft titles your interested in.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
This whole clown show podcast wasn't there to announce the 4 games. Majority of the show was being a coward and weak, and trying to convince people that xbox is still relevant will a whole bullshit fluffy Pr story build around it. It’s shows how insecure and weak they are. I can’t say that they are so convinced in their own product at all.

Everything shows the they are scared. They now wan’t Helldivers 2 and other PS games?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Watch PlayStation start releasing games on pc day one after the success of helldivers
It'll come at some point. Helldivers 2 is a good example of what happens when PC gamers get day one games. If it's good they'll bite. Treat them as leftovers, and they'll move on to something else.

Put it this way. When Horizon was announced in early 2020 that it was coming to PC that was the first big attempt at going multiplatform. There is no way no how anyone before that announcement date would had guessed in 2024, you have like 10-15 PC ports, day one GAAS on PC, The Show on Xbox/Switch, and Sony constantly doing PC ports every 3 months. At that time, every gamer thought PS games would be hard locked behind a PS system. Not any more.

So to think day one SP games (the last bastion) will totally be a permanent PS only thing is silly. Everything above came true, so can this. Heck, H2 is already a day one game so they already know GAAS are worth doing on PC right away despite giving away 30% cuts to Steam.

If Helldivers 2 tanked on PC, it would show execs releasing games on PC right away isnt worth the hassle. Just focus on PS and do a port a year or two later (Helldivers 1 came to PC 9 month later and got maybe 5000 gamers on Steam playing CCU). But with H2 success, it'll egg them on to do more PC ports faster. Just imagine how many copies of GOW they'd sell if they didn't launch it 4 years later.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It'll come at some point. Helldivers 2 is a good example of what happens when PC gamers get day one games. If it's good they'll bite. Treat them as leftovers, and they'll move on to something else.

Put it this way. When Horizon was announced in early 2020 that it was coming to PC that was the first big attempt at going multiplatform. There is no way no how anyone before that announcement date would had guessed in 2024, you have like 10-15 PC ports, day one GAAS on PC, The Show on Xbox/Switch, and Sony constantly doing PC ports every 3 months. At that time, every gamer thought PS games would be hard locked behind a PS system. Not any more.

So to think day one SP games (the last bastion) will totally be a permanent PS only thing is silly. Everything above came true, so can this. Heck, H2 is already a day one game so they already know GAAS are worth doing on PC right away despite giving away 30% cuts to Steam.

If Helldivers 2 tanked on PC, it would show execs releasing games on PC right away isnt worth the hassle. Just focus on PS and do a port a year or two later (Helldivers 1 came to PC 9 month later and got maybe 5000 gamers on Steam playing CCU). But with H2 success, it'll egg them on to do more PC ports faster. Just imagine how many copies of GOW they'd sell if they didn't launch it 4 years later.

Games like the last of us and God of War have to be released on PC at least one year after the PlayStation variant. None of us should want those development teams working on multiple versions at the same time just so that it can be day one on pc. That would be really really stupid. Rockstar shows you that with how they make Grand Theft auto.

So to think day one SP games (the last bastion) will totally be a permanent PS only thing is silly.

Nah

Live service games demand the “viral effect” of playing across platforms day 1 to grow a user base. Friends tell Friends to get the game so they can play together

Single player games don’t have the viral effect as much, a guy that loves resident evil games isn’t going to convince a friend that isn’t into them

Releasing later on PC also means you get the double dippers

Last edited:

Mooreberg

They got the sale either PC or Xbox, it's a win-win. Who cares that someone paid their games on PC (also their home with windows) rather than a plastic box? It's archaic thinking for epeen wars.
Their home with Windows, where they are effectively a third party publisher on their own O/S with games released on Steam. Maybe the Valve cuts is peanuts to them in their larger strategy but it still seems... weird.

So why not halo or gears on ps5?
Playerbase isnt there.

Most people who play those are xbox die hards.

Its same thing as releasing obscure Japanese games on Xbox. (Final Fantasy, Persona are not those) people who play them do so on PS/Switch.

All 3 console makers are diversifying their output. Something like Splatoon should also be multiplatform. Mario/Zelda can remain exclusive.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
That would literally be the dumbest idea for Sony to do as a business.

How would it be a dumb idea to release a 5 year old product (that is generative near zero revenue by now) to an untapped market t, and re-monetize it? News flash for you: these are businesses and the point of these companies is to make money.

It will happen because we need to see bigger margins in these games, and the market is not going to tolerate more price increases.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No

This is Microsoft. You don't get to be the biggest company in the world by playing by those simplistic rules you think you exposed. You're on windows system when you buy the game. They'll be doing data selling from the analytics and so on. You're basically a product soon as you install windows / office / OneDrive, etc. They don't really lose shit, they're a $3 Trillion company. Even if you disabled it, how many do you think have no idea? They make so much that all these services and OS that are "free" are making them billions and billions.

They should definitely revamp the windows store though on PC and lower revenue fees to 10%, but to actually lower pricing this time, unlike fucking Epic game store. It would attract peoples to the store rather than Steam. They should also implement blockchain. Same as bitcoin and crypto. You buy a key. It's yours. Want to resell it? Blockchain allows it. You want to sell it to Gamestop used? You can. You want to give it to a friend? You can. Same benefits as physical. Hell, with that blockchain based digital wallet, you could even resell your DLCs, rare skins, etc. That keychain could also be valid for Xbox & PC. An xbox guy could sell you the key but you install on PC. The immutability of blockchain also makes it nearly impossible to pirate.

Microsoft can do so much with the leverage of console manufacturing AND their foothold in PC. They need to wake the fuck up.

You're suggesting a lot of things that would by themselves make them less money. Not sure that's their goal. I understand your theory is that doing those things would increase their customer volumes enough to offset that, but I'm not sure.

MacReady13

I mean, Sony wants SALES. Now imagine releasing it on the Xbox consoles and it NOT being on game pass. How many Xbox players would buy Helldivers 2 considering they don’t actually buy games?! Does he realise he’s trained his xbots to NOT buy games as they only wait for them to come to their rental service…??

If you just switch a few words around...

“I will say, when I look at a game like Starfield– and it’s a great game, kudos to the team shipping on PC and Xbox – I’m not exactly sure who it helps in the industry by not being on PlayStation ” he said. “If you try to twist yourself to say, like, somehow that benefited somebody somewhere."

Last edited:

IDappa

They've literally said they would release primarily GaaS multiplayer titles day 1 on PC for a couple of years now.

Shawn Layden started talking about it.
Tell that to the guy I was replying to. I don’t see why they shouldn’t tbh. Makes sense especially for gaas multi games that live and die on player count.

Top Bottom