• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer:"Game streaming won't hinder home consoles"

sublimit

Banned

Xbox boss Phil Spencer doesn't think the emergence of game streaming platforms like the company's own Project xCloud will spell the end for home consoles.

Describing the relationship between streaming and hardware during the latest episode of The AIAS Game Maker's Notebook podcast (transcribed by Venturebeat), Spencer suggested it would be a symbiotic partnership that could actually result in players owning even more devices - including a console plugged into the TV.

"When I think about video and music, those streaming services have liberated that content to all the media devices around me. I now have way more devices than ever to watch TV. It hasn’t lessened the number of devices - it actually increased it," he commented.

"I think games are going to be similar. What we’re going to find is that as games are able to run in multiple contexts, you’re going to see a lot of different devices grow up to support different use scenarios."

"I think that getting to a world where you don’t have to own one device to play specific games helps the industry. That doesn’t mean owning a device isn’t part of my gameplay experience,"
he added.

"I think I’m going to have a game console plugged into my television for the next decade-plus. It’s going to be the best way to play on my television -- to download locally and play. But sometimes I’m not in front of my television. Sometimes I’m not in front of a device that has the native ability to play. So that’s our bet on cloud."

Well of course the devices will continue to exist for streaming and digital download services. I don't think anyone doubts that. What will soon cease to exist though are retailers and physical media.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Well of course the devices will continue to exist for streaming and digital download services. I don't think anyone doubts that. What will soon cease to exist though are retailers and physical media.

To the bolded... tons of people love to claim console's are going away soon.

They are definitely wrong though. These companies don't want them to go away; and beyond that consumer demand for streaming is far from proven.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
"I think for us as an industry, we should embrace monetization dexterity, because I think it leads to the best creativity," Spencer said.

Still, Spencer said the video game industry needs to come up with new monetization methods to help reach new audiences and grow the business overall.

"We need to find new players, and new forms of monetization to open up those those new playerbases and new ways to build games, new creativity; that's a great path to growth," he said.

... this encarta guy is annoying like stepping on dog ###. F4CK 0FF with your smelly GAAS Phil. Does he get paid by written article?

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Phil: "We are going to find so many ways to get people to pay. They'll be paying for games they already purchased through Games as a Service. They'll be paying for games they would never have considered worth money through subscription services - and they'll actually praise us for it. Then they'll pay us more to play those games online."

I wonder what other ways M$ has to "monetize gamers in new ways". I sure can't wait to find out Phil.

It will only hinder my wallet

thanks Comcast

spoiler'd pic for size, didn't realize it was so large

ZNtERuD.jpg

until I have access to a data cap free high speed ISP, streaming will never be how I game

Last edited:

NickFire

Phil: "We are going to find so many ways to get people to pay. They'll be paying for games they already purchased through Games as a Service. They'll be paying for games they would never have considered worth money through subscription services - and they'll actually praise us for it. Then they'll pay us more to play those games online."

I wonder what other ways M$ has to "monetize gamers in new ways". I sure can't wait to find out Phil.
I completely agree with your overall complaint. But I'm at a loss as to why it would only apply to MS.

Neofire

thanks Comcast

ZNtERuD.jpg

until I have access to a data cap free high speed ISP, streaming will never be how I game
Screw Comcast and all ISP's that put caps on internet.

Thankfully here in the South we have alternatives, with smaller companies that offer cable internet absent the treacherous data cap.

Last edited:

GHG

"I think for us as an industry, we should embrace monetization dexterity, because I think it leads to the best creativity," Spencer said.

Still, Spencer said the video game industry needs to come up with new monetization methods to help reach new audiences and grow the business overall.

"We need to find new players, and new forms of monetization to open up those those new playerbases and new ways to build games, new creativity; that's a great path to growth," he said.

... this encarta guy is annoying like stepping on dog ###. F4CK 0FF with your smelly GAAS Phil. Does he get paid by written article?

Very pro-consumer.

NickFire

thanks Comcast

spoiler'd pic for size, didn't realize it was so large

ZNtERuD.jpg

I think its far more likely than not that these companies add more caps and jack the price up further and further. They need to make up cable subscriber losses, and of course want to tax game streaming.

phil_t98

#SonyToo

and Sony don't do this or Nintendo?

NickFire

If Stadia results were different, so would Spencer's words.
Nah. Had Stadia successfully launched in 2017 or 2018 perhaps. But by the time Stadia launched MS was already heavily invested in the X both figuratively (prior statements) and literally (cost of development).

thelastword

Banned
Phil's messaging is all over the place tbh...….Last time he said "Sony is not their competitor" meaning his streaming and playing their games on all devices is his primary focus, not the next gen box...…..He presents XBOX as the Netflix of gaming if you will.....That's why he eschews exclusives and is embarking on an all hardware is welcome approach next gen......PC, XBONE, XBONEX, Series X, Series S, Mobile, TV's, Switch etc....

Yet it's mixed messaging because he does not want to undervalue the presence of his Series X, which he just gave a bit more official info on, so he wants to keep that hype flowing.....So he now says streaming will not affect home consoles because he wants you to buy Series X, whilst also saying in the past, you will be fine with just an XBONES...…..I think this will confuse customers more than anything else.....The iPhone/Android guy can just say, I'll stream, the PC guy will just say, no need for me to purchase Series X hardware because I have an RDNA 2 machine or even RDNA 1, the XBONES guy can say, I can still play Halo Infinite on my 2013 console...…….If Phil does not sell many Series X units, he can blame himself, because by the looks of it, all the hype around his 12TF unit will be severely compromised by the lowest common denominator in his suite of supported devices next gen......

Of course not games are getting bigger peoples internet/phone services arent people had trouble running Destiny at 720P on low on stadia. With how terrible the majority of the worlds internet is the chances of people being able to stream next gen games is in the lowest of percentages. Same thing with phone game streaming how many people have unlimited 1gb cellphone plans. The only reason why xbox is pushing X cloud is to get the super casual gamers that liked onlive but hated buying a console that is the only thing xcloud offers nothing is going to replace actually hardware.

redfirm

Banned
game streaming and the whole Netflix model is going to destroy so many smaller indie studios. Games dont have a production time of 8 to 30 days like movies...

Neofire

Amen to that, GaaS should be considered a plague to gaming industry from the consumer standpoint. No ownership of games, doubling down on micro transactions, games becoming internet connected focused(ala always online) and subscriptions galore.

I get that companies need there bottom lines and growth but not to the demise of the industry and the individuals that make it what it is for a few extra dollars.

GHG

Its part of his job. You want him to stay quiet? I don't understand this continued moaning when the HEAD of Xbox and VICE PRESIDENT of GAMING in Microsoft talks

Let's be real, he's always talking.

It's got to the point where his job title should be head of Communications and PR rather than head of Xbox.

sublimit

Banned
Amen to that, GaaS should be considered a plague to gaming industry from the consumer standpoint. No ownership of games, doubling down on micro transactions, games becoming internet connected focused(ala always online) and subscriptions galore.

I get that companies need there bottom lines and growth but not to the demise of the industry and the individuals that make it what it is for a few extra dollars.

Unfortunately the majority of gamers don't see that far off to the future.Or they don't care as long as they can play whatever (and whenever) X service decides for them to play as cheap as possible. Give them subscriptions,streaming and GAAS with an entry cost as low as possible (in the beginning) and they are willing do throw away all their consumer rights. Who cares about the future when they will no longer have the option to play (or replay) what they want play and when they want to play. Or heaven forbid sell something that they have bought and own. Those of us who resist we're minority so in the end we'll soon be forced to do what the majority does. Everyone has his/her price and papa Phil (and other execs) know that very well.

Last edited:

VAVA Mk2

You mad bro?

GHG

He isn't a developer. What must he do? Tell me

Be less involved with the media and focus on everything else. The guy will literally do an interview one week where he talks about how they are doing so much in Japan blah blah and then the very next week a new game is announced for all platforms apart from Xbox. It's ridiculous.

How many other heads of gaming do you see doing this much talking? How many heads of anything outside of PR & Comms do you see doing this much media work?

Psykodad

Banned
Be less involved with the media and focus on everything else. The guy will literally do an interview one week where he talks about how they are doing so much in Japan blah blah and then the very next week a new game is announced for all platforms apart from Xbox. It's ridiculous.

How many other heads of gaming do you see doing this much talking? How many heads of anything outside of PR & Comms do you see doing this much media work?
Gotta stay relevant somehow.

Mista

Banned

They NEED this PR work though. They aren't in Sony's place...

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Phil's messaging is all over the place tbh...….Last time he said "Sony is not their competitor" meaning his streaming and playing their games on all devices is his primary focus, not the next gen box...…..He presents XBOX as the Netflix of gaming if you will.....That's why he eschews exclusives and is embarking on an all hardware is welcome approach next gen......PC, XBONE, XBONEX, Series X, Series S, Mobile, TV's, Switch etc....

Yet it's mixed messaging because he does not want to undervalue the presence of his Series X, which he just gave a bit more official info on, so he wants to keep that hype flowing.....So he now says streaming will not affect home consoles because he wants you to buy Series X, whilst also saying in the past, you will be fine with just an XBONES...…..I think this will confuse customers more than anything else.....The iPhone/Android guy can just say, I'll stream, the PC guy will just say, no need for me to purchase Series X hardware because I have an RDNA 2 machine or even RDNA 1, the XBONES guy can say, I can still play Halo Infinite on my 2013 console...…….If Phil does not sell many Series X units, he can blame himself, because by the looks of it, all the hype around his 12TF unit will be severely compromised by the lowest common denominator in his suite of supported devices next gen......
Well coarse you think it will b hindered, I suppose you forgot the start of this gen when games were cross gen.

Games will be cross gen on PlayStation to, or are you forgetting that you can buy a game on currant Xbox and when you get the series x it will be upgraded to next gen goodness for free ala cyberpunk or will we be hindered because that is also coming out on the PS4?

Now the funny thing is you never hear Top end PC users saying they are hindered by weaker pcs, do you know why? Because the game developers can change settings to cut down on effects or frame rate

Neofire

Unfortunately the majority of gamers don't see that far off to the future.Or they don't care as long as they can play whatever (and whenever) X service decides for them to play as cheap as possible. Give them subscriptions,streaming and GAAS with an entry cost as low as possible (in the beginning) and they are willing do throw away all their consumer rights. Who cares about the future when they will no longer have the option to play (or replay) what they want play and when they want to play. Or heaven forbid sell something that they have bought and own. Those of us who resist we're minority so in the end we'll soon be forced to do what the majority does. Everyone has his/her price and papa Phil (and other execs) know that fully well.
Good thing I've been gaming for a while now and I will just hang it up when that future arrives.

GHG

They NEED this PR work though. They aren't in Sony's place...

I get what you're saying but they don't need it to this degree, he's just finding new creative ways to repeat himself. You could copy and paste an interview with him from 2018 and it would read the same as a new one this year.

If they want to get into people's heads and keep people talking about them then they need a healthy schedule of high quality games. Yeh we talk about his interviews because we are on forums and keep up with the news but nobody else does.

When you go to work do you hear people say "oh did you read that sick interview that Phil Spencer just did?!" or do you hear them say "have you played this sick game that's just come out!?".

I've never heard the former but hear the latter all the time from people I know that play games more casually than most of us do.

If I were him I'd shut up until I'm delivering on a consistent basis, but that's just me. I hate talking about what I plan on doing but don't mind talking about things I've done and delivered on.

Epic are the same, Tim Sweeney chats shit all the time on Twitter and in interviews while their roadmap for the EGS just rots in the background. I don't give a shit about your feelings, vision or what you have to say, just give me something I'll be happy with.

sublimit

Banned
I get what you're saying but they don't need it to this degree, he's just finding new creative ways to repeat himself. You could copy and paste an interview with him from 2018 and it would read the same as a new one this year.

If they want to get into people's heads and keep people talking about them then they need a healthy schedule of high quality games. Yeh we talk about his interviews because we are on forums and keep up with the news but nobody else does.

When you go to work do you hear people say "oh did you read that sick interview that Phil Spencer just did?!" or do you hear them say "have you played this sick game that's just come out!?".

I've never heard the former but hear the latter all the time from people I know that play games more casually than most of us do.

If I were him I'd shut up until I'm delivering on a consistent basis, but that's just me. I hate talking about what I plan on doing but don't mind talking about things I've done and delivered on.

Epic are the same, Tim Sweeney chats shit all the time on Twitter and in interviews while their roadmap for the EGS just rots in the background. I don't give a shit about your feelings, vision or what you have to say, just give me something I'll be happy with.
Nietzsche said something about those who talk a lot about themselves (or in this case of people like Spencer who talk a lot about the industry or about what services they think are good for the consumer) :
"Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself."

I have read that many years ago and it always made me cautious around people who talk a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

Goalus

I prefer that over
- no backwards compatibility,
- having to pay full price for last-generation games instead and
- an online service that is the definition of a joke.

Last edited:

wolffy71

Banned
Company rep speaks positively about his company. News at 11.

Are people really so oblivious to the realities of the world to expect a company rep thats doing an interview to downplay his organization? If so dont put that on your resume.

Vawn

Banned
Company rep speaks positively about his company. News at 11.

Are people really so oblivious to the realities of the world to expect a company rep thats doing an interview to downplay his organization? If so dont put that on your resume.

He's in his 50s, wears a gaming shirt with a suit jacket and jeans. He can be trusted!

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Streaming would love to be the #1 option in video game, it's streaming's dream to be the #1 option on consoles.

Top Bottom