• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Gears XBO needs to "reignite franchise"; passing Rime was "mistake"; E3

MysteryM

I love gears, and the thought that the next gears is 3+ years away is really depressing, especially given that its currently at drawing board stage.

I'd pay money for a more quickly released gears multiplayer only game on the xbox one, hell ship it with ports of gears 1 - 3 if they have too. Keep the fans on board while waiting for the next installment of the single player to come along, after all that has to be where the bulk of development effort is going.

Edit: Personally, i'd be happy if they took the gears 3 multiplayer engine as a basis, modified it for UE4 and dedicated servers and shipped it with new maps. That would be fantastic.

I didn't really like Phil Spencer (or anyone) based off of their E3 last year, but you know what, he's doing a good job with Twitter and is exactly what Microsoft needs to improve perception.

ekim

Never really cared about the Gears franchise so I'm rather disappointed that they shelfed the Stealth game for this. But a Forza Horizon 2 would smooth my ruffled feathers.

2real4tv

GeOW should of been at least a 2014 title Microsoft is screwing up. There is alot of Gears heads out there and they just let them flock to Sony. There was zero mention of it even though it was one of the best new ip last gen.

GeOW should of been at least a 2014 title Microsoft is screwing up. There is alot of Gears heads out there and they just let them flock to Sony. There was zero mention of it even though it was one of the best new ip last gen.
Epic had control over what goes on with Gears before MS bought it, not their fault.

The sensible option would have been to have Judgment out on Xbox One instead of 360 and to use the extra development time to make a much bigger game in terms of multiplayer scope.

Or it should have been DLC for Gears 3 along with Aftermath and then they could have done a GOTY edition or whatever on Xbox One with Gears 3 + DLC maps + Raam's Shadow, Judgment and Aftermath.

Phil's comments on a new Gears from last year:

"I want to find a great Gears game," he said.

"I thought we did a good job with Judgment, but I don't think it hit the level of quality we saw in the previous games. I think review scores showed that. Sales showed that. I really think we'd need to take a step back with Epic and think about... I don't want to call it a reboot because I think it's an overused term but think about where that franchise goes and how to expand what it was."

"I think that franchise would need to be... not reworked but you'd need to think about how to expand the universe and what people are doing," he continued.

"Maybe take it more gritty, I don't know. You'd want to do something with it, because I think it did run its course on 360. And it was a great success on the 360, but it doesn't quite have a story arc of a thing like Halo or something, at least the way it's played out in the games."
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-10-31-microsofts-phil-spencer-ponders-future-of-gears-of-war

I like the sound of "more gritty". Make it more like the original please.

-PXG-

Everyone knows Judgement is shit. Sales prove that too, Phil. Reviews make fuck all of a difference. It's a first party game from a high profile dev and publisher. Of course it scored well. There is a reason more people play Gears 3 every hour, every single day of the week, than Judgement. Cut the bullshit.

m23

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/437028424914173952

jqWlNEzBPbob.png

Spencer says there won't be a big show at GDC and that most news will be closer to E3. Kind of disappointing.

Bgamer90

Banned
Everyone knows Judgement is shit. Sales prove that too, Phil. Reviews make fuck all of a difference. It's a first party game from a high profile dev and publisher. Of course it scored well. There is a reason more people play Gears 3 every hour, every single day of the week, than Judgement. Cut the bullshit.

Didn't like the MP but the single player in Gears Judgment was good & better than GOW3 in my opinion.

Nutter

He literally says the same thing, not sure where the bullshit is?

Top Bottom