• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer hints at future Xbox Game Pass or console price increases at WSJ Live

I'm not and have never been concerned, but there is a big group of people on GAF that are terribly concerned and express that concern in pretty much EVERY Game Pass thread. I just wanted to put their minds at ease and let them know that all those losses they have been theorizing don't actually exist and they no longer need to worry about a service it's very likely a lot of them don't even subscribe to. :pie_roffles::pie_gsquint:

Its such crazy value for money and will be even crazier in future with all those AAA titles landing day 1.

I'm not sure who wouldn't want to try it and even with the occasional $1 sign up fee.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
A price increase however, if at all, isn't.

But you wouldn't think that seeing at the replies :rolleyes:
Comforting 30 Rock GIF

MacReady13

Almost every major subscription service has had price increase over the years since they launched: Netflix, Spotify, Amazon prime, ESPN+, etc.
I don't know why some people act surprised that gamepass will inevitably raise prices at some point too-
And eventually you who pay for all these subs will be paying more for these services than you would if you just purchased what you want.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Are MS the only company not allowed toi raise prices?. I honestly dont get some of you.
None of them should be raising prices, just like they don’t drop them when times are good.

The PS3 cost £425 in the UK, the pound was so strong that that was over $800 at the time. Now the pound is weak they look to rape us further still.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
It is anti-consumer.

Doesn’t mean it isn’t rational to some degree.

Don’t confuse the 2.

The two what? You only mentioned one thing. Regardless, inflation happens. Prices go up. Saying that every price increase is anti-consumer just means that every business is anti-consumer, and that just makes the term anti-consumer meaningless.

A proper example of anti-consumer is increase diabetes medication that people need to survive just so the higher-ups can pad their wallets. Increasing the price of a toy box and its corresponding subscription so you aren't losing money is called common sense.

Don’t make this a Sony debate. Look at my post history to see how happy I am with Sony too. I don’t play sides.

I didn't make this a Sony debate.

Edit: price increase isn’t the only anti-consumer issue with MS. They invented MTx, paid online for gaming, paid subscriptions for services, etc. the most anti-consumer company in the USA to the core.

That has nothing to do with what we were talking about.

Banjo64

cumsessed
No, but I don't see it happening till late 2023, if at all.
You don’t sow the seed for something 14-26 months away.

This is first half 2022 IMO but I think they’ll be select about it. Either a £/€/$1 increase to subs or the first party games going from £54.99 to £69.99.

They still getting your money though.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah, but this way only when they actually release games I want to play. That's when I'll happily support them.

I'm done paying every month for the promise of future games that inevitably get delayed, but I'm still getting billed every month in the meantime.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

GHG

Gold Member
Well i admit i am dumb on what you are on about.

I'm not sure why you're pretending to be blissfully ignorant when you've taken part in previous price increase threads and taken strong stances. Where is this energy now? :

Well when i read the OP i was actually going to defend Sony a touch, for similar reasons you just said, although still a shitty move, but after reading the absolute bile in this thread, fuck em.

And my point was more how many people on this forum take their fave billionaire companies side, and never the consumer, you know us.

SLB1904

Banned
Tesco meal went up £0.50, and people thought Microsoft will keep the status quo.
Also this all interview sounds like Sony executives talking. Be ready for the news next week

xHunter

You don’t sow the seed for something 14-26 months away.

This is first half 2022 IMO but I think they’ll be select about it. Either a £/€/$1 increase to subs or the first party games going from £54.99 to £69.99.
My guess is within the first 3 months in 2023, if not in January. His words suggest that this has been in the works for a while now, but they didnt want to raise the prices right when the holiday season is coming up

Stuart360

I'm not sure why you're pretending to be blissfully ignorant when you've taken part in previous price increase threads and taken strong stances. Where is this energy now? :
By saying i was going to defend Sony until the shitposters started. Sony did nothing wrong and IF Ms raise prices, they wont be doing anything wrong too.

If thats the best you two have got, you must try harder.

Last edited:

jm89

The good guy act will bite you in the ass hard eventually. I expect even worse backlash then sony.

GHG

Gold Member
By sayting i was going to defend Sony until the shitposters started. Sony did nothing wrong and IF Ms raise prices, they wont be doing anything wrong too.

If thats the best you two have got, you must try harder.

So "shitposters" made you change your stance, not the company in question?

So do you actually want to take the consumers side or was that outburst just because you felt people were defending and rationalising the price increase?

Last edited:

PillsOff

Banned
Here is your paid always online gaming coming
It's great for now even if the price increases somewhat there is still nothing like it
Next couple of years probably be quite great for GP
But it's a Trojan horse and you can see the ears of it already

Last edited:

sendit

This is expected. Once they reach market saturation goals to tickle their pickles. They will increase prices. Investors don't like products/services that remain stagnate in profit.

Neofire

Uncle Phil lied about upping the price of their consoles but want us to believe GP is 15% of the Xbox's profit

😗 Come on Uncle Phil

Stuart360

So "shitposters" made you change, your stance, not the company in question?

So do you actually want to take the consumers side or was that outburst just because you felt people were defending and rationalising the price increase?
Yeah because you cant have proper discussion on here without constant shitposting. Like tyring to catch me out (and clearly backfiring) when many of you were defending Sony and now attacking MS, i mean THAT is hypocrisy.

All i did was say how i expected Gamepass to raise its price, and that it will still be value for money. I havent defended MS for any potential price hikes with hardware etc. It sucks no matter who does it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah because you cant have proper discussion on here without constant shitposting. Like tyring to catch me out (and clearly backfiring) when many of you were defending Sony and now attacking MS, i mean THAT is hypocrisy.

All i did was say how i expected Gamepass to raise its price, and that it will still be value for money. I havent defended MS for any potential price hikes with hardware etc. It sucks no matter who does it.
Hey now, billionaires are not a charity, amirite?

freefornow

It is anti-consumer.
Man, who knew that this store I'm at the moment is anti-consumer. I'm raging at the grocerer for that 10c increase on this apple I'm about to purchase.
Nah, fuck it! They have lost my business!!! Millions will also no longer buy apples!

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’m ok with a price increase. Still cheaper than buying the games, or even renting them. I’m more looking forward to the family plan coming out. That way my daughter can get in on some of the cloud gaming

Top Bottom