• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer "Just being honest" Claims Advantage over PS5

I mean honestly though, I feel better about Xbox's launch lineup of exclusive games over PS5's and Xbox hasn't even fully said all their launch titles yet. Halo Infinite, Gears Tactics, Psychonauts 2, Scorn, The Medium and those smaller games shown at the May event were all looking pretty good. Meanwhile for PS5 we have Spider-Man, Astro-Bot, Kena and a few other smaller games? Most of the PS5 games shown at their big event did not have any sort of release window, so it's hard to know when they will come out.

onQ123

Thats because they havent done their showcase yet.
All we have seen is a tiny bit of Halo, Hellblade 2 and some indie stuff.
All will be revealed after Julys show and tell.

See that's the thing Xbox showed 3rd party & Indie games & the consensus was that it was a bad showing Sony showed some 3rd party & indie games also & for the most part people loved what they seen & also people was impressed with the Unreal 5 demo running on PS5, for Xbox SX people are still waiting for that showing that give people something to talk about.

The truth is with effort someone can blow our minds with the PS4 Pro & Xbox One X so sure Xbox Series X can show some mind blowing stuff.

Bodomism

Banned
It's not about power. It has always been about the games. Whichever system launch with the better launch titles in the first 18 months will win.
You need to take a look at PS4 launched lineup.

Price and Hardware specs played more important role than launch line up as GTA, FIFA, and COD will always be the main seller for those platforms.

Killzone Shadowfall
Knack
Drive Club
The order 1882
Infamous Second Son
LBP3

All sold like shit

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Well, if i was him i would feel pretty good after watching the ps5 reveal too. Sonys biggest advantage was the ssd and i/o and they showed one game using it. One out of some 24 games.

Phil can just show up with better looking trailers and win. He probably doesn't even have to show gameplay because he can say hey Sony didn't show it either and my games look better.

That said, this man talks a lot. He's been talking and talking for years now and has yet to show a game in action. Just stfu and show the games. July is around the corner and we don't know when to expect the conference. He better have some truly next gen games with amazing gameplay demos showing destruction, a.i enhancements and naughty dog quality storytelling after all this shit talking.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I’m looking forward to the first party showing in July. Should be some impressive looking stuff in there. PS5 reveal was ok but nothing that blew me away.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
TLOU 2 made me not give a shit about power. It's the best looking game ever made even on a base PS4. Talent always wins.
What makes you think the ps4 being the most powerful base console this gen didn't have anything to do with how good the last of us looks? There was a reason why 8gb gddr5 was a megaton, its arguably the biggest reason why tlou2 looks that good despite being far bigger in scope than tlou.

Specs matter. Mid gen consoles will always be held back by base consoles which is why people are so worried about Lockhart.

Bryank75

Banned
I guess he is doing his job, and selling the strengths of his system but since I have A PC I don't see the point the XSX. Plus more than any perceived advantage of the consoles, I just trust Playstation Studios to keep churning out great games throughout the generation.
That is the thing..... it's not one thing, it is the overall reputation of the company. Xbox wrecked their reputation going into the last generation and since the last few years of PS3.... PlayStation just consistently built their reputation for great exclusives and quality in gaming.

PlayStation has built all this generation too, one look at the numbers shows how this thing is skewing.... Xbox does not have a year advantage, like the 360. Their reputation for games is, in a word 'bad'. Even Halo is not something very impressive anymore, they allowed the rot to set in there with 343.
Bungie offer Destiny which has that great sci-fi fps gameplay, it's not an exclusive experience to Xbox anymore and there is nothing else that makes me interested at all on Xbox.

What really made me decide never to buy into Xbox again was that they seem to go all in at the start of a generation and then the rest of the generation is a barren wasteland. This is a trend going back to 360 and continued on XOne.

DeaDPo0L84

The only real advantage one can possibly have over the other is the games they offer. Stop touting this shit about your plastic box being more powerful. It rarely manifest itself in meaningful ways when Sony has great 1st party studios who can squeeze magic out of lower performing hardware.

I have no issue with him hyping up his product, but he's been doing this shit for years now. Saying you feel confident while Sony keeps breaking their own sales records and you're going all in on another fucking Halo game (I'm cautiously optimistic).

This is coming from someone who plays all games on all platforms. I don't get involved with the console war bullshit. I want them to turn all these studios they purchased into gold. But I'm gonna need to see the goods before I get hyped again for any Microsoft 1st party lineup.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I've learned my lesson about getting overly hyped for Xbox shows but I do think this July show will be 🔥

Kenpachii

Well he's right, for 3rd party games u will probably be better off going xbox which most of there audience probably cares for anyway. People often forget that the PS4 being more powerful also ment best version of multiplatform games. Exclusives will be the driving force for sony, for microsoft it isn't specifically needed that much because it has a better performing console.

TheMan

talk is cheap baby, show me the motherfucking games
show me shit that can't be done on current gen
show me interesting original IPs
maybe some innovations with xbox live
maybe VR

If you want this load you gotta lick the head and shaft but dont neglect the balls, phil

ERoBFTM.gif
ShallowChillyAdmiralbutterfly-size_restricted.gif

ManaByte

Gold Member
Quite a stretch, but eh, true.

How's it a stretch? All Xbox hardware comes with a GamePass trial because MS wants people on the services more than buying games. Halo Infinite is a MS first party title, meaning it'll be on GamePass Day 1. Everyone who buys a XSX can then play Halo Infinite right out of the box.

Kagey K

Banned
How's it a stretch? All Xbox hardware comes with a GamePass trial because MS wants people on the services more than buying games. Halo Infinite is a MS first party title, meaning it'll be on GamePass Day 1. Everyone who buys a XSX can then play Halo Infinite right out of the box.

The value proposition for XSX is insane for the customer when Gamepass is factored in.

A person (especially one who is new to the Xbox ecosystem,) can purchase thier console and nothing else, go home and have hundreds of games to play including Halo Infinite and whatever other series X games they throw up there on day 1 at no extra cost.

Every other launch I’ve always had to budget for 2 games and an extra controller on top of the system price.

Kagey K

Banned
Winners focus on winning. Losers focus on winners.

Phil sure does like talking about playstation. Funny how much less Sony mention xbox.
Or reporters ask Ms about Sony lots, while Sony rarely gets asked about MS. 🤷‍♂️

Also Phil seems to make himself more available to the media, and certain sites like to cling to the phrases they know will drive clicks.

Last edited:
Oh Phil. Always talking.
More powerful hardware doesnt count for shit. Ask Nintendo and Sony.

Phil talked before Xbox One X launch and the Pro still mopped the floor with it. Xbox has always been all talk over the years.
Its stark difference to Sony. They only talk when they need to.

Keen to see what they have but seriously they just need to Stfu and show us the receipts.

njean777

Sony is betting on their exclusives/decent hardware/brand power. MS is betting on subscriptions/better hardware/cloud. We shall see what wins in the future.

Kerotan

Or reporters ask Ms about Sony lots, while Sony rarely gets asked about MS. 🤷‍♂️

Also Phil seems to make himself more available to the media, and certain sites like to cling to the phrases they know will drive clicks.
That could be it but wouldn't somebody as high up as Phil who's also the master of PR be controlling what he's asked? He hardly throws himself into the deepend. Likewise Sony prob tell them don't ask about xbox.

Kagey K

Banned
That could be it but wouldn't somebody as high up as Phil who's also the master of PR be controlling what he's asked? He hardly throws himself into the deepend. Likewise Sony prob tell them don't ask about xbox.

I wouldn’t want to be seen as controlling what was asked, that would ruin the image of openness and transparency.

If he wanted to, he could have gone politician and deftly deflected, but instead chose to dive head first into it.

That says he feels very confident about what they have up their sleeves, we will see how that pans out, but I appreciate the confidence he has in his product.

I also really enjoyed the Sega does what Ninendont, and Crash Bandicoot making fun of Nintendo ads in the 90’s so I don‘t see it as a weakness to mention your competitors (and obviously Sony didn’t either at that time.)

Last edited:
They have almost 2 TF advantage.. Xbox1x vs PS4 pro... well 4.4 vs 6 if I am not mistaken ...
I mean that even when they have the power advantage, the games are what matter.

You should email him and make sure he got the memo, just in case he didn‘t.

Excuses aren't how you handle criticism. Thing is it's a fact and he has the wrong idea.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Thats because they havent done their showcase yet.
All we have seen is a tiny bit of Halo, Hellblade 2 and some indie stuff.
All will be revealed after Julys show and tell.
These guys smashin on the Series X arent ever going to be convinced. Its a wonder why their even in this thread. JBH.

Max_Po

Banned

true, I don't see anything changing... although I would like SONY to announce that all PS4 Exclusives will get free PS5 upgrade .. that will be more important to me ... either way ...I get all consoles but I am feeling burning with the Xbox1x... will wait for a price drop or double storage...

Kagey K

Banned

Excuses aren't how you handle criticism. Thing is it's a fact and he has the wrong idea.
The fact is they haven’t had their big blowout yet, after the July show we will know for sure if he got the memo or not. Right now it’s just beating a dead horse, and you don’t know what his idea for next gen is, as this will be the first one he’s been steering the ship for.

If it’s August and we are still having this discussion, then it’s a problem, until then it’s just conjecture.

He's clearly very confident. And the rumors we're hearing from Shinobi,Benji and other insider's stating MS is going to have a Huge show and many mic drops support this. We'll see.

It is kind of funny how some on here are downplaying framerates now. It wasn't too long ago that these same people were hyping 2-3fps differences in games in favor of the PS4 Pro vs XB1X having double the resolutions in DF head to heads.

Here, XSX should have the advantages in resolution,framerates,ray tracing and other bells n' whistles

Last edited:

jimbojim

Banned
Become a reporter and you too can ask him what he thought about the PS5 reveal, and then hit him with that question right after.

Do some of you even look at the OP or analyze the statement before posting?

Im thinking no.

What's the problem? Looks like sometimes Phil say one thing, next time other. He really is flip-flop man. How the wind blows

Kagey K

Banned
What's the problem? Looks like sometimes Phil say one thing, next time other. He really is flip-flop man. How the wind blows
He answers the questions he is asked.

In this instance he was asked what he thought of the Sony reveal and how MS would compare.

In the other instance you want to quote it was “where is gaming going and how will MS compete”

2 very different questions with 2 very different answers that you decided to blend into one narrative.

See where the problem is?

Imagine if over seperate interviews I asked you, “Do you like kids? Do you like Boys?“

and then “Do you like kids and do you like girls?”

Then came back with he likes kids that are boys, based on your non assuming answers at that time.

Is that a fair assumption?

Or are you flip flopping now?

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
I believe him.

But with render scaling tech improving the way it is (e.g. DLSS v2.0), will it really matter this gen? We've already seen PS5 games using 1/4 render scaling for their ray tracing. As powerful as XB is, it will likely need to adopt a similar solution. If both are using render scaling, at what point does it really matter if it's 1/4 render scaling or 1/2?

Top Bottom