• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Nintendo and Sony are not going to do anything that damages gaming in the long run.

Kacho

People want MS to consolodate the industry over Apple, Facebook etc because the current leadership are doing all the right things at the moment.

Problem is they won't be there forever. Shit can change fast under different leadership as we've seen with Sony. The direction of gaming falling under such a small group of people isn't good no matter who it is
Nailed it. Consolidation was inevitable and it’s bad and it’s the beginning of the end of industry we know and love, but at least Facebook isn’t the one driving it off a cliff.

People in here really think Phil Spencer ran these multi-billion dollar gaming acquisitions by Nadella as some altruistic campaign to save gaming? Lmao

They are doing this because they want to expand their cloud/azure services they are banking on and with that they pretty much eclipse every other tech company at everything else they do, especially data collection. They aren’t any different then Amazon or Google. They are just trying to do it through gaming which has become the biggest industry on the planet.

Phil is great at marketing but he’s a wolf in sheep’s clothing. At the end of the day microsoft is just trying to get to 3 trillion before the other companies
Nobody thinks this was an altruistic decision lol. This was very clearly a business decision aimed at putting Microsoft in the best possible position moving forward. That said, all of the things he is saying can still be true. I don't know why you guys get so salty and just post this nonsense over and over.

He knows the next logical step for Nintendo and/or Sony if they are displaced in the market is to partner up with Apple or Amazon and start bidding wars for content. Of course he does not want that to happen.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Damn right its a reasonable statement. Check out the post I am replying to in this very post. It perfectly shows how effectively he communicates to the troops.
Am I a troop? I don’t even own an Xbox at the moment, I’m PS5/Switch and PC w/ GamePass

Yoboman

Making up a tech bogeyman to justify monopolising the third party market is an interesting one.

Facebook had the chance to buy Act Blizz and didn't. All 3 have been in the gaming space for a few years and not bought any major third parties. In fact Google for all their faults on Stadia did the right thing and were trying to build up their own studios from scratch

Its just MS doing this, dont get it twisted

sainraja

Yeah and I don't know how I feel about Activision in the hands of Facebook either.

Would rather these companies stay independent. Just everyone stop buying shit lol
The wierd thing is that Activision actually went to Facebook first and they weren't interested.
Unless they went to Facebook first to get Microsoft to pay more?
I am not sure how this all works so I am not even sure if Activision could disclose that to MS but maybe?

sainraja

Facebook decides to push into gaming and if it doesn't go well they shutter a bunch of studios and the industry is worse off for it. At least with MS, they aren't locking up this content behind one specific platform. Xbox, xCloud, PC, etc. Sure, its unfortunate that Sony and Nintendo fans will be impacted, but this is the better outcome versus someone like Google or Facebook taking charge.
I know Xbox diehards here believe otherwise but it's possible (given Minecraft is still available on all applicable platforms — competition or not) that MS might treat some of the IPs they just acquired the same way (but mostly the more popular ones — I can see them being selective about the others.) We'll just have to wait and see. We won't find this out anytime soon given whatever they are bound to do.

Also, it is a little silly to assume that Google/Apple/Facebook might be worse. What if they could have brought something new and different? We might never know now.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
All I know is when Phil Spencer talks, all the haters listen and post on this forum. He must be doing something right.
James Franco Reaction GIF

Last edited:
I know Xbox diehards here believe otherwise but it's possible (given Minecraft is still on all applicable platforms — competition or not) that MS might treat some other IPs the same way (but mostly the more popular ones — I can see them being selective about the others.)
I’m thinking this will be like the Bethesda deal but at the same time but it also wouldn’t surprise me if MS did still release some games on the PlayStation. Will be interesting to watch as it all unfolds.

NickFire

I think you need to practice your reading comprehension and/or get a dictionary
I think you're right. Somehow I misread the tea leaves here. I really thought that if someone is calling other people salty, they were kidding around and were someone that could be joked around with. Lesson learned.

sainraja

I’m thinking this will be like the Bethesda deal but at the same time but it also wouldn’t surprise me if MS did still release some games on the PlayStation. Will be interesting to watch as it all unfolds.
Yeah, that is very much possible. We shall see how it will ultimately unfold.

Topher

Gold Member
That's an interesting take considering Microsoft's history. Doesn't matter. The words are empty. If Amazon makes a kickass game that everyone wants to play then complaining they are a "shopping" company doesn't really mean anything.

All I know is when Phil Spencer talks, all the haters listen and post on this forum. He must be doing something right.

So Jim Ryan is doing "something right" because people talk about what he says as well?

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I think you're right. Somehow I misread the tea leaves here. I really thought that if someone is calling other people salty, they were kidding around and were someone that could be joked around with. Lesson learned.
Jokes are usually funny or pithy. Like the salty reactions in here- hilarious considering how reasonable the original statement was. Or calling the statement “astroturfing,” which it in no way could have been under any understanding of the term. So was that the joke? Because it did go over my head if it was

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That is a very confusing quote to decipher ... best I can get is he's trying to correlate those two companies which are steadfast and embedded into console gaming as opposed to an outsider like Google or Facebook/Meta coming into gaming now to shake it up.

But it's a really confusing quote.

splattered

People want MS to consolodate the industry over Apple, Facebook etc because the current leadership are doing all the right things at the moment.

Problem is they won't be there forever. Shit can change fast under different leadership as we've seen with Sony. The direction of gaming falling under such a small group of people isn't good no matter who it is

That is a 100% fair statement.

But that being said i trust Microsoft to "continue doing the right things" before i trust Apple, Facebook, or Google to "start doing the right things"

NickFire

Jokes are usually funny or pithy. Like the salty reactions in here- hilarious considering how reasonable the original statement was. Or calling the statement “astroturfing,” which it in no way could have been under any understanding of the term. So was that the joke? Because it did go over my head if it was
MEOW

Concern

If people actually weren't hypocrites and voted with their wallets, we'd have a better grasp on the direction of the industry.

People cry about microtransactions and lootboxes for example but it was very successful cuz idiots still supported it.

Microsoft started doing the right things because of the mess that was Xbox One and nobody buying it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The big point that I think is missed here is both of these acquisitions happened due to the bad state that these companies were in.

Bethesda was struggling and Activison was dealing with the crap Bobby and his crew created.

Do you REALLY believe MS decided to spend $70B on Activision just because Bobby is a creep? I have no idea how that makes sense to anyone.

Top Bottom