• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Parity is a hell of a Clause

Caronte

You people should blame third parties for this crap, it's logical that Microsoft would want the best for their platform.

Edit: I misunderstood the topic, carry on.

system11

Awesome. Thanks for the Monthly Parity Clause Update brought to you by Square Space! "Build it beautiful!"

How often do we really need to ask this guy the same question and get the same answer?

I think it's just idle sport now to see how many ways they can get MS to spin the same lie.

RowdyReverb

Why do people get so bent out of shape over asking for fresh content when you release a game a year later on a platform? It sounds like a totally reasonable request. If the exact same indie game on PS4/PC in 2014 released on Xbox in 2015, how would they possibly generate buzz for sales? It would just be like, "hey, you can now buy this old game people used to talk about on our platform, too". Announcing it with new content helps buoy an otherwise underwhelming re-release.

Caronte

Can't tell if serious

I am. It's third parties who should refuse to do this. Unless this is specifically about release dates and not graphics. Then it sucks for everyone and MS is indeed to blame.

Edit: Yes I think this is just about release dates. Sorry, my bad.

Victim blaming is a bad thing.

And if you're an Xbox end user you are the one suffering because you're getting far less games.

I don't have an Xbox.

Why do people get so bent out of shape over asking for fresh content when you release a game a year later on a platform? It sounds like a totally reasonable request. If the exact same indie game on PS4/PC in 2014 released on Xbox in 2015, how would they possibly generate buzz for sales? It would just be like, "hey, you can now buy this old game people used to talk about on our platform, too". Announcing it with new content helps buoy an otherwise underwhelming re-release.

How about just letting your consumers decide if they want the game? What if not every game needs new content? What if the developer is small and can't reasonably afford to add new content?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Because adding new content is not just a flip of a switch and costs developers money they may or may not have.

Also, so what that a game is coming to your platform a year later? It will be new to many.

You people should blame third parties for this crap, it's logical that Microsoft would want the best for their platform.

Yeah, let's blame those dastardly 1-5 person teams for taking a deal with Sony in exchange for timed exclusivity. Poor little Microsoft's doing the right thing.

But hey, It's also logical that "third parties" would just opt for completely avoiding the Xbone altogether because of this policy. If Xbone owners are happy to miss out on great games like Hotline Miami, I guess that's their choice.

I am. It's third parties who should refuse to do this. Unless this is specifically about release dates and not graphics. Then it sucks for everyone and MS is indeed to blame.

Third parties cannot afford to refuse, in most cases releasing on as many platforms as possible lets them keep putting food on their table and if they're really successful make a new game

There's not some mountain of cash on their bed they can just lay back on when they turn down a console with an install base of 10 million + potential customers

Kayant

Exactly my point. I'm saying some people are confusing it and saying that EVERY game that comes late needs new content. I've seen it a lot.
Oh I see ;) You're right about that.
I don't understand what's the issue?
What's wrong with wanting some extra content if the game isn't going to release on your hardware for a year? he even offers up some MS ninjas to help bring the game back to the spotlight.

I mean, when tombraider comes to the ps4, do people want the exact game that is being released in the fall to be released a year later?
Liking vs it being a requirement *if deal has been made in the past elsewhere.

Add to that things like Super Meat boy that have been released with no extras. A game that a deal with Nintendo and Microsoft in the past.

They're asking sometimes very small teams to create additional content on top of the work it takes to port the game, for the "privilege" of having the game on Xbox. Microsoft should just be glad to get the game. It's good for their customers. But they're not interested unless they can "one-up" the competition.

I know there are plenty of year(s)-old exclusives I would gladly pay for on my system of choice.

Because it doesn't sound to me like they're asking. They're forcing or they're taking their ball and going home.

Look above you at Xbox owners that think this is fine even though it's costing them games. Out of touch is fairly common when you don't bother to actually think.

What games is it costing XB1 owners, outside of Sony-backed titles and timed exclusives (The Witness, Helldivers, Axiom Verge, Rime, etc.). I'm genuinely curious. Are there games we know about that will never come to XB1 because of this clause? Again, I'm seriously asking. A game I honestly thought would never come to XB1, The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, due to that dev's public disgust with XBLA, is launching soon. I feel that if that game can make it to the platform, just about anything can.

What games is it costing XB1 owners, outside of Sony-backed titles and timed exclusives (The Witness, Helldivers, Axiom Verge, Rime, etc.). I'm genuinely curious. Are there games we know about that will never come to XB1 because of this clause? Again, I'm seriously asking. A game I honestly thought would never come to XB1, The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, due to that dev's public disgust with XBLA, is launching soon. I feel that if that game can make it to the platform, just about anything can.

Obviously we cant know if they'll eventually come, but this was a good thread with insightful posts from actual game developers

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=947986

Caronte

Third parties cannot afford to refuse, in most cases releasing on as many platforms as possible lets them keep putting food on their table and if they're really successful make a new game

There's not some mountain of cash on their bed they can just lay back on when they turn down a console with an install base of 10 million + potential customers

I thought this was about those suppossed deals where big third parties would release games with the same graphics on Xbone and PS4 so no version would look worse than the other. My bad.

Rymuth

Why do people get so bent out of shape over asking for fresh content when you release a game a year later on a platform? It sounds like a totally reasonable request.

From the mouths of two Indie Devs -

Porting the game alone costs a fair amount of money, which could be hard to recoup if you're arriving to that platform late. To then demand additional content on top of that just adding insult to injury.

Financially it's very possible to release on both at once, for myself anyways since I'm the sole programmer, but the amount of time and stress that would go into something like that would be insane. Heck, I just released an expansion pack for my last game on Steam and it was stressful beyond belief for many different reasons. And that's on the easiest platform to develop for.

timlot

Banned
I'm curious, how many XB1 owners actually care about this. Some of these post reak of
651191952717;canvasHeight=44;canvasWidth=44

Obviously we cant know if they'll eventually come, but this was a good thread with insightful posts from actual game developers

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=947986

Oh yeah, I remember that thread. I think I even posted in it! I forgot about it for some reason. Thanks for refreshing my memory. Maybe I'm naive, but it seems things have gotten better since then. I'm not a dev though, so I'm not going to pretend like I know for certain.

I'm curious, how many XB1 owners actually care about this. Some of these post reak of

Well, even if I don't have a huge issue with MS's policies myself, if it's costing the platform games, I certainly care about it.

Maztorre

It's the same exact thing they've been saying all along... If the release is staggered because of a deal with another party, the Xbox version needs to have something to make its version standout...

It really never seemed unreasonable to me...

Edit: some of the things developers have done to get on Xbox one after timed exclusivity have been so trivial, I really don't understand why a dev would forgo the system altogether.

Of course it's fucking unreasonable. It isn't in the interest of 99% of 3rd parties, especially indie developers, to piss off their existing loyal customers by tying exclusive content to other platforms. If I buy a game from a developer on PC/PS4/Wii U, it's absolute nonsense that I will arbitrarily be cut off from content for a game I have financially supported from day 1 because Microsoft are pissy about it.

It's pretty clear that developers don't want to engage in it too, given the disparity in indie releases between Xbox and PS4/PC.

Helldivers and Rime are first party Sony titles, they'll go to Xbox when Gran Turismo and Uncharted do (never).

We don't know of many instances because talks are hidden behind NDAs and Microsoft have been making a lot of exceptions to the clause over the last couple of years (which sounds great but the clause still exists, which they can enforce on a whim) but we do know the mere existence of it has turned a number of developers away from even considering the machine, like the Broforce devs.

Oh yeah, I remember that thread. I think I even posted in it! I forgot about it for some reason. Thanks for refreshing my memory. Maybe I'm naive, but it seems things have gotten better since then. I'm not a dev though, so I'm not going to pretend like I know for certain.

I think it has gotten better, to an extent. I feel like more indie games have been coming to X1 lately. The early access program they introduced will also probably help.

But I still think it has a ways to go

I have a nice shiny Xbox One in my living room and I absolutely care about this shitty situation

More games for the system I own equals better success for the platform overall equals even more games for my X1.

Iksenpets

Banned
why is this being called a "parity clause."

Doesn't parity mean equal?

His statement isn't about parity.

There needs to be release parity for them to accept a game that's also on another console. Coming out at the same (equal) time. If there's not release parity, then they demand an enhanced edition.

EBE

im not fully understanding any of this. can someone be real kind and explain to me how indie releases work on xbox one if they've already appeared on other platforms

New002

Honest question. Has there been a confirmed case for the XB1 where an Indie Dev approached MS with a game and was turned away simply because they would not add additional content to their game (if launching first on another console)?

Give the outrage that these threads tend to produce I'd like to think there are actual instances of this happening.

None of that was meant to be snarky by the way. I would genuinely like to know so I can understand where the anger is coming from.

ps3ud0

It's going to be better for you, actually, because people don't want last year's game, they want something special and new.
This doesnt make sense - I dont see people complaining about the very late ports of stuff like Bastion and Fez on the PS4 because they are feature-identical to their launch platform.

There cant be actual gamers that think like this...

ps3ud0 8)

Iksenpets

Banned
im not fully understanding any of this. can someone be real kind and explain to me how indie releases work on xbox one if they've already appeared on other platforms

If your game is already out on another platform, you're not allowed to release it on Xbox unless you add some Xbox-exclusive content.

B4s5C

What they need is consistency. If I were going to think about putting my game on any platform, I want to know how I am going to be treated and what the result of the conversation will be. Its too ambiguous to say "Come talk to us" as I might have a clear artistic vision (bear with me) that shouldn't be tainted by having to add a Battletoad or other Microsoft IP.

I understand where Phil Spencer is coming from and from a consumer aspect its great. It has meaning. But from a game developer aspect, its not as friendly or clear-cut. As someone that isn't a game dev, I respect Phil Spencer for wanting to provide fun, unique experiences for me but on the otherhand, I would take a game over no game.

Top Bottom