• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer says most publishers take advantage of the success of old franchises over risking something new

Halo: Combat Evolved
Halo 2
Halo 3
Halo Wars
Halo 3 ODST
Halo Reach
Halo CE Anniversary
Halo 4
Halo Spartan Assault
Halo MC Collection
Halo Spartan Strike
Halo 5 Guardians
Halo Wars 2
Halo Recruit
Halo Fireteam Raven
Halo Infinite

Hmm.. He might have a point.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Taking risks: Redfall, Starfield

Not taking risks: Prey 2, Dishonoured 3, Fallout 5 by the team that made New Vegas, Elder Scrolls IV

Conclusion: stop “taking risks”, you twats.

Moses85

According to this he's not wrong

pPhzIHz.jpg

Asking The Legend Of Zelda GIF by Mashed

Who is the most sucessful?

gothmog

Gold Member
He's right but he's also a significant part of the problem. Subscription services and GaaS will make this problem so much worse. Why risk anything when you can just add in mega grinds to the new iterations of old franchises and give them away practically for free on your sub services?

Gojiira

He must be deluded right? I like how he specifically points at everyone else when Xbox has had 3 generations of just Halo,Gears,Forza.
I just dont understand how he can be so arrogant…Still…
‘Not moving quickly enough or boldly enough’…’Holding on to franchises from 10 years ago’…Jesus christ what a moron.
Pot calling Kettle black there Phil, last I checked the biggest risk Xbox took was Scalebound and look what you did to that…

Pedro Motta

Halo Infinite 8, Gears 6, Forza Horizon 5, Flight Simulator 20, Forza Motosport 8, Fable 4, Perfect dark 6 and so on and so on.

Aenima

Hes right. And MS is part of the "Most Publishers". This is nothing new though. Ppl been saying this for years.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Most gamers want devs to take high risks while also give them super expensive graphics….what people expect here?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This would mean something more if it was somebody who mattered and understood the business like some of the other industry veterans. But coming from him, I'm not sure if every little quote he says needs a thread. If anything some of the stupid shit he says needs its own catch-all thread on top of the things that may actually make sense. Those things are far and few between as the guy just seems to spit a lot of stuff and not a whole lot is happening.

Get with me with somebody important at Nintendo or Sony says something as they have the pedigree where you might listen a little more to them versus this guy.

StueyDuck

Ok I'm genuinely convinced this guy is just an idiot. 🤣

What a stupid statement coming from the kings of never making anything new

And no, Bethesdas IP that were already in production before purchase don't count

Last edited:
He must be deluded right? I like how he specifically points at everyone else when Xbox has had 3 generations of just Halo,Gears,Forza.
I just dont understand how he can be so arrogant…Still…
‘Not moving quickly enough or boldly enough’…’Holding on to franchises from 10 years ago’…Jesus christ what a moron.
Pot calling Kettle black there Phil, last I checked the biggest risk Xbox took was Scalebound and look what you did to that
PlatinumGames and Hideki Kamiya took full responsibility for how Scalebound's fumbled development and cancellation turned out.

tr1p1ex

Yep. He’s literally parroting what everyone already knows and what Iwata at Nintendo used to publicly lament about the state of the industry. Water is wet!

The entire industry is extremely risk-averse (yes, even Nintendo for the most part), and we all know it.

Comments in here are ridiculous
AS much as Nintendo is conservative, they take some big risks especially on hardware. I mean Wii, Wii U, 3ds, DS, and Switch?

On the software side I can recall new IP like Splatoon, ARMS, Ring Fit, Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Nintendo Land, Mario Maker, ... off the top of my head. I guess Wii Sports is getting closer to 20 yrs old now. Same with Wii Fit. lol.

Oh and Labo? And the Mario Kart Home Circuit? ... more risks taken on new IP or at least using their top IP to do something new and different.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Bethesda? Seriously? Your choice is a published which released two new IPs this year and 4 since the beginning of this generation with several more in development?

Are you saying Bethesda isn't "taking advantage of old franchises"? Like saying that Starfield is "Skyrim in space"? Its his words not mine. Almost no one(includes other companies) is taking risks, let alone this clown even putting something new.

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned
Are you saying Bethesda isn't "taking advantage of old franchises"? Like saying that Starfield is "Skyrim in space"? Its his words not mine. Almost no one(includes other companies) is taking risks, let alone this clown even putting something new.

4 new IPs in 3 years and you're still not satisfied, that just means you'd preach your stuff regardless of what they do.

Saber

Gold Member
4 new IPs in 3 years and you're still not satisfied, that just means you'd preach your stuff regardless of what they do.

Reread again if its hard to understand. 4 new IPs its meanless if those are 4 IPs are bland or ctrl+c games. Pointing out numbers its just stupid talk at this point. Death Stranding is a clear example of a new take that took risks. Redfall isn't.

Iced Arcade

I dunno... I miss the 360/PS3 Gen that delivered 4 Gears games, 4 Halo games, 3 uncharted games etc

💁

Not to mention they just fought tooth and nail for Activision who puts out 12 COD titles a gen lol

MadPanda

Banned
Reread again if its hard to understand. 4 new IPs its meanless if those are 4 IPs are bland or ctrl+c games. Pointing out numbers its just stupid talk at this point. Death Stranding is a clear example of a new take that took risks. Redfall isn't.

Reread what Spencer said in his leaked link and see how it's connected with new IPs.

Gojiira

PlatinumGames and Hideki Kamiya took full responsibility for how Scalebound's fumbled development and cancellation turned out.
Thats typical of a japanese studio and their work ethic.
Xbox were the ones pushing for release, and the ones who could have offered more tech support but they didnt. There push for multiplayer too added to its difficult dev.
At the end if the day, the game needed more time and polish, and Xbox could have given that. Its on them.

He took shots at Sony and other publishers for utilizing established IP or licensed IP but I haven't seen a single major IP launched by this guy in his entire tenure.

At least in the previous gen Sony released/published: Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima, Detroit Become Human, Death Stranding, Bloodborne, Day's Gone and some failed IP with 1886, Until Dawn, Last Guardian, Knack, Dreams

Yoboman

He's right but he's also a significant part of the problem. Subscription services and GaaS will make this problem so much worse. Why risk anything when you can just add in mega grinds to the new iterations of old franchises and give them away practically for free on your sub services?
Yup and from that glimpse of the leaked funding proposals for various titles on GP, they clearly value sequels much higher

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Just look at all those remakes and remasters.

There are companies now remaking 10 year old games.

I mean, seriously? This is the future these companies want?

Thats typical of a japanese studio and their work ethic.
Xbox were the ones pushing for release, and the ones who could have offered more tech support but they didnt. There push for multiplayer too added to its difficult dev.
At the end if the day, the game needed more time and polish, and Xbox could have given that. Its on them.
Microsoft pushing for release? The game had been in various concept stages since 2006, began full production in 2013, received a 2016 release date, and then missed it entirely until being cancelled in 2017. Talk about having a ton of leeway.

Also, the game was conceived as a multiplayer co-op game from inception, which is one of the main reasons they opted for a Microsoft partnership in the first place. If Platinum didn't think they could pull of this new type of experience from the expertise at the studio, they shouldn't have accepted Microsoft's checks.

Last edited:
They’re doing exactly what gamers want.

How many times have we seen fans hype up 5 year old, 10 year old, and 20+ year old franchises for every single conference?

How many times will they make long announcement wish lists every year of these franchises?

How many times will these same gamers shit on everything new?

The AAA publishers are simply providing supply to the demand 🤷‍♂️

RickMasters

According to this he's not wrong

pPhzIHz.jpg

No matter people on here feel about what he said….. Numbers don’t lie 🤷🏾‍♂️

They will be adding avowed, contraband, everwild and a few others at some point too. Argument dead.

Top Bottom