• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer thinks this is Xbox's best generation so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Ryo_

For the people who are saying "What else could he say?"

Why did he say anything in the first place? He shouldn't have commented because any comment he could actually make would make him seem delusional, dumb, or a liar.

Microsoft aren't going to allow him to say they aren't doing so well compared to last gen so he really should not have said anything at all.

Also he called Jason's comments weird when they are clearly unequivocally true.

jobrro

Hmmm. Feels like a Trump supporter who refuses the facts.

At least he is paid to be in that position.

I suppose it depends on which genres you are interested in but overall Sony is killing it.

360 days were the best. Such a weird comment to even reply to honestly; of course he won't say "Yea the X1 isn't that hot right now." But why respond?

For me personally, it's not even close. The 360 was one of my favorite consoles of all time. My XBO is in my closet and I haven't played it in months.

Floody

What else do u want him to say give him a break. He's a salesman. You can't say otherwise in the moment of this being the flagship product.

Of course it's wrong but jesus people. Marketing image this is the only thing they have right now let them have it.

He could've just said nothing and not gave Jason an even greater spotlight whilst making himself look a little silly.

SenkiDala

He believes in his product, nothing wrong with that.

The gap between the XBO and PS4 is growing, especially when you take the pro into account, but maybe Scorpio will rectify this slightly.

To be honest, the PS4 is now my main platform, after having XBO as my lead platform since the beginning of the gen.

The Scorpio won't give them exclusive games, it's what the XO is lacking of... They need to spend actual money to buy EXCLUSIVES (not timed) dunno if they wanna do that.

Xbox 360 was there best gen yet. It had PS3 beat in NA month in and month out. It never did have the vast library of exclusives because MS just doesn't have the deep bench of devs that Sony has with there WWS but Xbox 360 was where it was at last gen.

I like Phil, but he's spinning. Show us the games Phil, show us the exclusives for your box.

ethomaz

Banned

Why did he say anything in the first place? He shouldn't have commented because any comment he could actually make would make him seem delusional, dumb, or a liar.

Microsoft aren't going to allow him to say they aren't doing so well compared to last gen so he really should not have said anything at all.

He said that because he was salty about Kotaku's editor jab... he is human and emotions comes in mind.

Aaron

Game wise, they're not even as good at the original Xbox, and the vast majority of their exclusives are just continuations of franchises they started on the 360. So no. Not even remotely close. As someone who only owns an X1, PS4's current and upcoming exclusives put Microsoft to shame.

horkrux

In terms of Xbox sales, he might be right. Why give that up.

In terms of games though... well.. this might be a Pyrrhic victory over the 360 if they don't bump this up.

THEaaron

Well, they lost a ton of market share and that is not denieable. They literally went from 50/50 to 25/75 and that is nothing they should be proud of.

jaypah

I would have said nothing. XB1 turned into a fine console though I personally think Sony outplayed them as far as exclusives go. But 360 was fucking beasting.

I think he's wrong, but it's just PR speak. He couldn't admit even if it was their weakest gen overall.

I think he talks about sales?

(and to be honest, i agree with him either way, the 360 gen was ruined by the kinect focus from 2010)

But Jason is plainly talking about software, so to respond and focus on hardware would make no sense.

Phil would have been better off staying quiet or just saying they are happy where they are, this does make him seem a bit phony.

It's weird. The launch of the XB1S gave the Xbox One very substantial momentum, which it appears to have lost just as quickly.

Then it's not momentum, it's a temporary bump from x1 owners upgrading, people over reacted when X1 won a few months.

GHG

Gold Member
This is just making me remember how goddamn awesome the first few years of the 360 were. Glory days, I tell ya.

I feel genuine nostalgia for the early years of that console. It's up there with the ps2 and ps1 for me.

If things continue in the same vein this gen then it will just end up being utterly forgettable and will go down as the worst console purchase I've ever made.

Pile in lads, fill your boots lol.

Taking a comment made to a user on Twitter using its 140 character limit should not be used as a gauge for complete corporate insight and input but it can be used to blow something out of proportion - as is evidenced from this and the multiple Phil / Xbox threads.

GAF loves them though, cant get enough of Phil's tweets!

danowat

Banned
The Scorpio won't give them exclusive games, it's what the XO is lacking of... They need to spend actual money to buy EXCLUSIVES (not timed) dunno if they wanna do that.

Maybe it will, maybe it won't.

But yeah, software sells systems, so.......

Between Yakuza 0, Nioh and HZD, it's a good time to own a PS4, but there is nothing inherently wrong with the XBO, I still use mine daily.

I mean it has Sunset Overdrive as an exclusive...

2015-10-01-18_19_33.gif

but no.

"You're right! We are behind and i have a lot of work to do still. This i the 2nd best xbox gen and im disappointing a lot of fans."

LOL is that what people wanted to hear or something? Plus, if you Reaaaaaalllly want to tunnel vision 'canceled' games .. you can see that a trend of canceling games has been a thing before it became relevant to your troll posts. good day!

DBT85

Going by th leaked sales numbers from a month ago it's still outpacing the 360

Hardware sales. Software sales have to be way down

To the best of my knowledge, its ahead because it sold 1m in the first 2 days, not because its selling more every month than the 360 did?

Taking a comment made to a user on Twitter using its 140 character limit should not be used as a gauge for complete corporate insight and input and can be used to blow something out of proportion - as is evidenced from this and the multiple Phil / Xbox threads.

Wow jump to defense over what has been a valid conversation, not surprised though.

I know the thread disagrees, but I've been pretty satisfied with Xbox One and the games I've been able to play since launch. Thanks to Games with Gold, I think I've played a wider variety of games than I'd ever have before.

Oh, and I haven't had to return my console because of faulty design. So, you know, that's a positive.

xabbott

The problem with "best gen" is we don't know the metric. If he's talking about realizing the goal of Xbox since it's creation it's probably the closest it's ever been. If not exactly where they've wanted it to be. For all the success of 360 it didn't actually integrate with Microsoft as a whole other than obtaining IP.

XB1 on the other hand is now tied to the same store, services, and now looks like even the same apps.

Arklite

Nah, Halo 3 alone makes the 360 better.

Gears being the breakthrough new franchise and multiplayer trendsetter didn't hurt none either.

Don't forget getting multiplatform titles that ran a little better than PS3.

Could add modernizing online play, spearheading matchmaking, and implementing console features like party chat. The 360 brought a lot to the table. I remember there was some stupid article about the Xbox One being "from the future" because you could motion to the camera and 'snap' apps. Meanwhile all of that shit is gone. Where's the article about regression?

PS4 is putting Xbox to absolute shame and Jason nailed it. It's not even a contest anymore. They're becoming irrelevant to me at this point and I would sell my system and not look back if not for Crackdown.

They've got Crackdown 3 and Sea Of Thieves that we know of coming up. Both of those games need to be amazing for Xbox.

Also Kodi. MS better make the app comparable to the Shield version.

No, but the hyperbole put out by many Sony fanboys is a bit ridiculous. You'd think the Xbox had no games. Not dissimilar to the begining of the gen when people were making outlandish claims that Sony had no games.

The only change to XB1 ends ahead 360 in 2016 (comparing with the same period of 360) was if it ended UP YoY.

That didn't happened.

While close 360 is tracking ahead XB1 for some time and the situation will get even worst because 360 enters in its best years (2009-2011).

The estimated sales (or leak like you say) was below 360 at the same period.
No, 360 was at 22.1 mil at that point

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...ing-playstation-2-xbox-360-install-bases.aspx
To the best of my knowledge, its ahead because it sold 1m in the first 2 days, not because its selling more every month than the 360 did?
You the estimated numbers for it are 26 mil (as of last month), while the 360 was 22.1 mil at that point

Izuna

Banned
Unless there's some awesome stuff coming at E3... I'm actually very worried now

We got a bad Halo Campaign, more Forza and a lack of everything else...

Taking a comment made to a user on Twitter using its 140 character limit should not be used as a gauge for complete corporate insight and input but it can be used to blow something out of proportion - as is evidenced from this and the multiple Phil / Xbox threads.

Looks like Phil isn't the only one running damage control.

Least he's paid to do it though.

Trakan

I agree, no comment at all is better than lying.

SpecX

It's weird. The launch of the XB1S gave the Xbox One very substantial momentum, which it appears to have lost just as quickly.
The XB1S launched too close to Scorpio to have a lasting impact. There should have been at least 2 years between the 2 and I feel now most people have either bought a Pro or are saving for Scorpio.

Rymuth

Well what else could he say?
"We could do better/we will do better"? It's not like they're stranger to such promises (see: this is just the beginning)

When you hit your Best/peak there is nowhere to go from here but downward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom