• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: We shouldn't have "sugar-coated" the Xbox One controversy

XonoX

Lets not forget that for all of our protests on Microsoft's new DRM policies, they didn't care two shits about what anybody thought and were steamrolling ahead with their plans.

ONLY when pre-orders opened and their numbers were dismal did they reverse the policy.

FeiRR

Banned
The second paragraph did nothing to tell anyone how the new XBox team doesn't care about gamers or games. Don Mattrick was part of Electronic Arts for 15 years, he doesn't care about games?
Does EA care about games? It cares about sucking gamers dry. They shrunk their portfolio to keep only AAA powerhouse franchises. They really don't.

Yusuf Mehdi is the new CEO of Microsoft,
Wrong.

Marc Whitten and Phil Spencer don't care about games?
Of course they don't. Even if they play games, they're rich people with millions in cash and shares and it makes absolutely no difference to them if a game is $60 or $100. They will do whatever makes them richer.

So where exactly is all of this information that the new XBox team doesn't care about gamers or games? They have more games in development now than at any time in the XBox history.
You're just repeating things you were fed with by their PR. Any proof?

Yusuf Mehdi

Well, it may not matter so much to Microsoft. Sure, core gamers complain, but the folks who don't really pay attention and who just want a fancy box will be fine with Microsoft's Xbox One. "In a broader set of community, people don't pay attention to a lot of the details," said Mehdi. "We've seen it in the research, we've seen it in a lot of the data points."

wat.

ChryZ

Pro tip: DON'T say or do something to consumers that might put them off, then you don't have to sugar-coat or be painfully blunt.

Of course they don't. Even if they play games, they're rich people with millions in cash and shares and it makes absolutely no difference to them if a game is $60 or $100. They will do whatever makes them richer.
I can't speak for Marc Whitten, but Phil Spencer is definitely a gamer.

Brak

I was never that interested with Microsoft's forays into the console business; at this point now, there is not a single thing they could say or do to convince me to spend money on one of their boxes. It's over, there's too many other options. I just don't need them.

So basically, no big company executives care about games. Try again.

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
Microsoft PR - "Hey just so you know, we are going to mouth-rape you. But you need not fret, for we have made sure that every cock we shove down your throat will be dipped in sugar so that our spunky lies ooze down a little easier"

Does EA care about games? It cares about sucking gamers dry. They shrunk their portfolio to keep only AAA powerhouse franchises. They really don't.

Wrong.

Satya Nadella is the CEO, point is how is he any better or worse of a gamer than Bill gates ever was? Or Steve Ballmer? Speaking of rich people that's like saying so is Jack Tretton and Phil Harrision or Shuhei Yoshida. Who cares. They all have a job to do want your money one way or another.

Some of you guys are just arguing over nothing because you don't like Microsoft as a whole and are under this impression we need to take sides and stay there.

Doffen

Microsoft PR - "Hey just so you know, we are going to mouth-rape you. But you need not fret, for we have made sure that every cock we shove down your throat will be dipped in sugar so that our spunky lies ooze down a little easier"

The fuck is this?

22151_ORIG-clint_eastwood_disgusted_gif.gif

mujun

There's always some percentage. Just like there are a percentage of supreme conservatives and extreme liberals while everyone else is moderately somewhere in between.

And similarly, this forum was a bloodbath of anti-Sony hate around the time of the PS3 announcements. There were diehard Sony guys then too just like there are diehard MS guys now. But the prevailing sentiment followed who deserved the hate at the time. And many of the loyalties that had shifted from PS2 to 360 have now switched back over to PS4.

If you ask me blind faith is also tied to the nature of what those in question have faith in.

If that is true then it would come as no surprise that more people have blind faith in Sony or Nintendo over MS seeing as both of those companies have a longer history and more "golden years" in which to establish that kind of fanbase as it were.

Biker19

Banned

Wrong.

Just don't bother with Louis Cyphre. Every time someone like myself talks bad about Microsoft, or Xbox One, he throws a hissy fit over it.

Trey

Pro tip: DON'T say or do something to consumers that might put them off, then you don't have to sugar-coat or be painfully blunt.

Execute better. Convince consumers that what you offer is good, but don't lie to them or belittle them because they probably won't like that.

What you propose, there would be no innovation, ever.

Just don't bother with Louis Cyphre. Every time someone like myself talks bad about Microsoft, or Xbox One, he throws a hissy fit over it.

Really? If that was the case I'd be in here doing damage control 24/7. Lots of people say bad things about Microsoft. Some points are fair some aren't. That's the whole purpose of discussions and debates. That's not what you're here for, you're just here to vent on why nobody should be supporting the Xbox One or Microsoft. You said so yourself you hate Microsoft and want them to drop the Xbox. Which means everything you say and will continue to comment on is going to be talking bad about Microsoft. Be it the hardware they release, the software for it, or the company itself. Everything out of your mouth will be negative one way or another.

When people point to the games you ignore them or simply suggest they are only doing it to try and get the core fanbase back. Even when people talk about the games in development and how they have more being made now than at any time in Xbox history you ignore it or dismiss them. You talk about how anyone with power within the Xbox division isn't a gamer or cares about games like you know how everything is run. The Xbox team is made up of a lot of people, so stop being so disrespectful and lumping them all under your umbrella of who is a gamer and who isn't because you hate Microsoft.

So if you have anything to say to me say it directly or simply ignore what I have to say.

Biker19

Banned
When people point to the games you ignore them or simply suggest they are only doing it to try and get the core fanbase back. Even when people talk about the games in development and how they have more being made now than at any time in Xbox history you ignore it or dismiss them.

"Hey guys, let's forget all about what happened with the last 4 years of the Xbox 360! We're all about the games now!" *Sarcasm*

Until they actually have a long term commitment towards 1st/2nd party, I refuse to believe it. And by that, I mean not just putting out exclusives a few years from your launch, & then, "Whoops, let's just stop making more of those games & only bring back the big, heavy hitters while focusing on something else!".

You talk about how anyone with power within the Xbox division isn't a gamer or cares about games like you know how everything is run.

Because everyone knows how the "new Xbox team" are.

"Hey guys, let's forget all about what happened with the last 4 years of the Xbox 360! We're all about the games now!" *Sarcasm*

Until they actually have a long term commitment towards 1st/2nd party, I refuse to believe it. And by that, I mean not just putting out exclusives a few years from your launch, & then, "Whoops, let's just stop making more of those games & only bring back the big, heavy hitters while focusing on something else!".

Because everyone knows how the "new Xbox team" are.

You can believe whatever you want, it's not my job nor is it in my interest to try and change that. What I will argue against is this perception you continually want to put out there. Like I said earlier, you have way too much baggage to offer any form of a reasonable discussion.

Better than what we had with Don?

Many seem to think so but you're not going to change everyone's minds. Some simply don't want to or refuse to move forward.

Fox Mulder

their original plan wasn't spun to highlight any positives. They were slow to react and let the narrative become all about what we were losing instead, or how the console was about TV and nfl. They responded to criticisms and questions like we were all stupid.

Some day their original vision will be more tolerable, but it's amazing that a billion dollar company like MS would have such fucking god awful PR. I'm shocked they didn't clear house, including Major Nelson.

To be fair Phil and friends have got alot to fix, more 1st party studios and exclusives, new ips and better value for gold...

I agree. Like Biker has said, Microsoft has shown during the later stages they tend to fall back on just familiar ip's that sell well. I think things will be different, especially if Sony remains strong. As for Gold, PS+ is certainly making an impact on Microsoft and Phil has said they plan on doing better. I am more interested in games getting dedicated server support and other advancements in console gaming like Twitch. I am a PS+ member and though they do give out a lot of freebies most are games I have already played. I love how they offer new games like Resogun though but I remember when PS+ first started, most games were really old too.

their original plan wasn't spun to highlight any positives. They were slow to react and let the narrative become all about what we were losing instead, or how the console was about TV and nfl. They responded to criticisms and questions like we were all stupid.

Some day their original vision will be more tolerable, but it's amazing that a billion dollar company like MS would have such fucking god awful PR. I'm shocked they didn't clear house, including Major Nelson.

I used to like Major Nelson years ago but he's become somewhat of just a PR Puppet now.

Top Bottom