• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Xbox Series X Interview (SSDs, 4X CPU performance, PS5, 8K)

To be fair to Phil I think he is comparing the time/latency it takes to access a page in RAM in the current consoles vs a page in SSD in the new consoles. He may be right, but it would likely have nothing close to the same bandwidth.

I agree, "access time" is a period of time for an access, where as bandwidth is a rate and not a measured purely as a measure of time.

So when he says "access time" he means "access time" not bandwidth. I think this is unambiguous.

I really wish they would stop going on about 8k like that is something anyone gives a shit about. No one has an 8k display and even if they did although these new consoles might technically be able to output at that resolution the idea that any kid of meaningful game will be playable at that resolution with the coming gens hardware is laughable. So it's pointless, stop talking about it.

Banned
I really wish they would stop going on about 8k like that is something anyone gives a shit about. No one has an 8k display and even if they did although these new consoles might technically be able to output at that resolution the idea that any kid of meaningful game will be playable at that resolution with the coming gens hardware is laughable. So it's pointless, stop talking about it.

back compat games might?
360 games like Skate 3 already run at 4K60 without any hitches on Xbox One X, so I could see them maybe patching them up to 8K where possible.

and even if you don't have an 8K screen that would make for some serious AA when supersampled down to 4k.

another possibility would be games like Untitled Goose Game, so games with vers sinple graphics that would look super sharp and clean at 8k and can easily run at that resolution.

the fact is, it's good that it can do that even if it's not something we will see a lot.

just like it was great that the Xbox 360 supported 1080p even tho games struggled to run at 720p even.
because we got some games like Rayman or Perfect Dark HD that took advantage of this and looked super clean as a result.

___

just like Sony should have supported 4k30 on base PS4 like they promised they would right up until launch they said they'll patch it in.

the devs of Trine said they had a patch ready for Trine 2 to run at 4k30 as soon as that patch from sony lands... and nothing happened :/

Last edited:

meirl

Banned
back compat games might?
360 games like Skate 3 already run at 4K60 without any hitches on Xbox One X, so I could see them maybe patching them up to 8K where possible.

and even if you don't have an 8K screen that would make for some serious AA when supersampled down to 4k.

another possibility would be games like Untitled Goose Game, so games with vers sinple graphics that would look super sharp and clean at 8k and can easily run at that resolution.

the fact is, it's good that it can do that even if it's not something we will see a lot.

just like it was great that the Xbox 360 supported 1080p even tho games struggled to run at 720p even.
because we got some games like Rayman or Perfect Dark HD that took advantage of this and looked super clean as a result.

___

just like Sony should have supported 4k30 on base PS4 like they promised they would right up until launch they said they'll patch it in.

the devs of Trine said they had a patch ready for Trine 2 to run at 4k30 as soon as that patch from sony lands... and nothing happened :/

this exactly, Series X can easily output some lastgen games at 4K.. cant wait to play FFX in 8K.

I think the best feature is being able to use your last gen controllers, hope you can do that with the PS5 (that's probably why they're releasing the addon).

Dlacy13g

They have to talk it up because Sony brought it to the table first in the Wired Article. This is all marketing tit for tat moves... The moment Sony discussed it, it became a battleground talking point for PR teams. If you don't talk it up you will be perceived as not having it. Cerny didn't mention Hardware RT in the original article and rumors spread like wildfire that they may be trying to do some kind of software solution not hardware based until Sony came forward to address that.

back compat games might?

___

Good point, I didn't think of that.

Moses85

The interview was posted in German on a German website, as a result it went unnoticed for 6 months, and the GDDR6 stacking is definitely new info.

It is one of the most popular gaming sites in DACH and also a lot of Germans, Austrians and Swiss are members here. I thought the GDDR6 is known since month because the GAF is the best source for gaming news and facts. I know this article very well (maybe because I am a German) so sorry about that ✌🏻

thelastword

Banned
He is kind of a master of implying more positive things than actually said and minimising negative connotations of what needs to be said in other cases.
For sure there would be less stutter stemming from HDD access calls....but that goes without saying for all consoles next gen, the end game is who has the best solution and how custom and smart their SSD implementation is......

As for the quote, I still remember him and others, mainly DF, talking about that DX12 chip on XBONEX as if it was the second coming. It certainly was hyped and was nothing special, unlike here.....I think the SSD's are gong to benefit console gaming tremendously......After next gen, I think mechanical drives are going the way of the DODO....Consoles will popularize SSD's to mass and in return you will get lower prices and the TB sizes will grow exponentially.....

Also, funny enough, I don't see too many opposers to 8k here.....

Top Bottom