• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: You can share your Xbox One games with any 10 people

Status
Not open for further replies.

statham

Hey guys,

Could we possibly coordinate some group effort here to tweet @majornelson with an updated list of questions we have on the family share plan?

It's going to suck real bad if Major Nelson updates his post and leaves out some information and we are stuck yet again in this endless cycle of "family share can't work like that, it works like this <cites thing>" until the Xbox One comes out.

I've been trying a one man attempt, but reddit has just as many downvotes (wtf) as it does upvotes. Every other avenue I've been brushed off or ignored. I did manage to get one Xbox rep to take a look at the list, but we really need to make sure Major Nelson addresses all of the use cases we have questions for.

Again, perhaps it would be better to get an updated list of questions and make a new thread with the specific intention of respectfully tweeting @majornelson so that all of Neogaf (that cares about family share) could see it front and center and not buried in a Phil Spencer post. (obviously I'm not condoning spamming his feed. But 1 @ per person that cares should be enough to get on his radar)

As it is, how many of us are keeping up with this thread? The family share is really seeming like the one feature that makes putting up with the auth check-ins and stuff worth it, potentially. It'd be super if we could get some concrete answers before having to own the physical hardware to find out.

Or perhaps I'm the only one who is eagerly waiting for answers.
I'm totally for this.

Freki

Hey guys,

Could we possibly coordinate some group effort here to tweet @majornelson with an updated list of questions we have on the family share plan?

It's going to suck real bad if Major Nelson updates his post and leaves out some information and we are stuck yet again in this endless cycle of "family share can't work like that, it works like this <cites thing>" until the Xbox One comes out.

I've been trying a one man attempt, but reddit has just as many downvotes (wtf) as it does upvotes. Every other avenue I've been brushed off or ignored. I did manage to get one Xbox rep to take a look at the list, but we really need to make sure Major Nelson addresses all of the use cases we have questions for.

Again, perhaps it would be better to get an updated list of questions and make a new thread with the specific intention of respectfully tweeting @majornelson so that all of Neogaf (that cares about family share) could see it front and center and not buried in a Phil Spencer post. (obviously I'm not condoning spamming his feed. But 1 @ per person that cares should be enough to get on his radar)

As it is, how many of us are keeping up with this thread? The family share is really seeming like the one feature that makes putting up with the auth check-ins and stuff worth it, potentially. It'd be super if we could get some concrete answers before having to own the physical hardware to find out.

Good idea!

I'd like to know:

- Can Publishers opt out
- Will it be available for every game (AAA - xbla)
- Does it matter how the game was acquired - retail vs. DD
- How many people in total can play a game that was purchased once simultaneously
- Is there a difference between MP and SP
- If yes - what is considered MP (e.g. Destiny vs. COD)
- Is this available day1 for a newly released game
- How does adding and removing Family members work
- If a family member is removed is this slot gone forever or is there a cooldown period (if yes how long) for adding another person
- Is the current 10 member limit guaranteed to be the minimum number in the future or is it possible to this number gets reduced
- Does it ignore Region Locks
- Is there any restriction as for who can be added to a "family" (e.g. region; distance; ...)
- Can different games out of one library accessed by multiple people at the same time

that's all I could think of for now...

Perhaps we can use this as a baseline and add more questions or clarify the existing ones...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
this is pretty much what I've been saying as well, someone shot me down saying 'you can do that on ps3 right now!' I don't have a ps3 so no idea.

if you keep it to two people you can do that on the PS3 (don't know yet about PS4) but you have to swap account details, so do it with someone trusted (give them your username/password, let them log in, then change your password)

Much simpler using friends lists to do it.

TBH I hope Sony are watching. Anything MS do with digital sharing should be copyable by Sony too because it should mean the publishers are ok with it.

m23

Hey guys,

I'll do what I can to help. What's the plan?

Vestal

Gold Member
Good idea!

I'd like to know:

- Can Publishers opt out
- How many people in total can play a game that was purchased once simultaneously
- If a family member is removed is this slot gone forever or is there a cooldown period (if yes how long) for adding another person
- Is the current 10 member limit guaranteed to be the minimum number in the future or is it possible to this number gets reduced
- Is there any restriction as for who can be added to a "family" (e.g. region; distance; ...)
- Can different games out of one library accessed by multiple people at the same time

Perhaps we can use this as a baseline and add more questions or clarify the existing ones...

To add

1. Can the game owner kick a user from a current game session? Maybe using a prompt pop up within the game.

2. Is the Family a Licennse pool of sorts? As in all shared games from family members get put in this one Game/License pool?

3. Will the system distinguish when multiple copies of same game are shared in the family plan.(I am assuming yes considering these would be dealt as licenses)

That's what comes to mind when taking into account whats already been listed.

Phawx

Phawx, how would you want to go about it? You could post what you have so far?

Well this is what we got so far, but let's decide what we need to keep and what we need to alter.

Again keep in mind that there is a lot of contradicting information, so if it's been answered one way before doesn't mean it was correct. Also I omitted the other questions and left everything strictly about family share.

1.)How do licenses work in relation to family-share per game purchase? I.E. a device license and a roaming license? Or a device license, a roaming license and a shared license?

2.)What are the prerequisites necessary to put someone into a family share?
a.) After they enter into a family share. Are they locked into it?
b.) Can they leave a family share? Does this prohibit them from entering another share for a certain period of time or is it lost forever?
c.) Can family members be in different supported countries?
d.) Does region locking affect things?

3.)Is this scenario possible with family share:

Six people are in a family share. Inside of the share exists six games. Let's say Ryse, Forza, DR3, CoD:Ghosts, AC4 and Quantum break. ALL of these games were purchased by Person 1. Can the following example happen with the family share:

Person 1: Plays CoD:Ghosts
Person 2: Plays CoD:Ghosts with Person 1
Person 3: Plays Forza
Person 4: Plays DR3
Person 5: Plays Quantum Break
Person 6: Plays Ryse

or

Shared pool has 3 copies of Titanfall, does this mean that 6 people can play concurrently?​

4.) If 10 people are in a family share, is there only a master account that can place games into the share? Or can all 10 people buy games separately and place them into the share?

5.) Can all games be shared?
a.) Can a publisher oppose to the possibility to share one of his games ?
b.) Are games shareable day 1?
6.) Is there a limit on the number of games you can share at a given time ? If so, what are the rules to modify my "shared list" ?

a.)If friend A is playing one of my shared games, can friend B play one of his shared games (not mine) ?​

7.) Is there a limit on the amount of time/games you can spend in "sharing mode" ?

8.) Does playing a shared game support common features like achievements, saves, etc?

9.) Is DLC sharable or does my friend need to buy his own DLC ?

10.) When a friend wants to play one of my shared game, do I have to be on my console and validate it, or can he do it while my console is in low power mode (or completely offline) and I'm sleeping ?

11.) Can I kick out friend A who is playing my shared game to let friend B play instead ? (not remove him from my family, just have him free the spot)&#65279;
a.) If not, is their any mechanism to alert somebody in the family share that someone else is looking to play?

12.) Are there multiple shared pools?
a.) If there are, how many shared pools can one individual be in?
b.) Are there any rules that alter the other pools the individual is in?

13.) Can local licenses be put into a shared pool?

14.) There is information on the internet that states you can play one purchased game concurrently between two people on single player segments. Is *all* multiplayer disabled from being played concurrently? Co-op/async/competitive?

15.) Can digital movies be shared?

16.) Does it matter how the game was acquired - Retail vs. Digital Distribution - for family share eligibility?

beast786

Good idea!

I'd like to know:

- Can Publishers opt out

Great questions.

Can you also ask about friends over different regions and hence region locking sharing?

Guys what demo is this for and is there any video footage for it?

phpkndfp9.jpg

Looks like a OS demo. I'd like to see if its been improved over the wired build we saw.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
TBH I hope Sony are watching. Anything MS do with digital sharing should be copyable by Sony too because it should mean the publishers are ok with it.

Sony should definitely fix sharing for digital stuff, but they wont be able to do it for discs because it will be too easy to game if the disc authenticates the content.

Vestal

Gold Member
if you keep it to two people you can do that on the PS3 (don't know yet about PS4) but you have to swap account details, so do it with someone trusted (give them your username/password, let them log in, then change your password)

Much simpler using friends lists to do it.

It would only work with digital purchases. to discs possibly only workable if you required the person who owns the disc to be online playing that game since its the only way to ensure the game is still owned by the user and its not being used on another system.

Zoe

How many families can a person be in?
If multiple, does someone automatically join a person's family by adding them to their own?
Can everyone contribute to the library or only the head of the family?
Can family members interact even if they are not friends?

Sony should definitely fix sharing for digital stuff, but they wont be able to do it for discs because it will be too easy to game if the disc authenticates the content.

There may be a small period of vulnerability, but that could always be an acceptable loss if they wanted to go the authentication route.

Enordash

Let me know what you want me to add/remove/fix and we'll go from there.

If multiple people in a shared pool purchase the same game, will there be complications?

Ex: Shared pool has 3 copies of Titanfall, does this mean that 6 people can play concurrently?

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I find it odd that the only feature we actually like is the one that abuses the system. If Microsoft manages to get rid of the used games sales but cut sales by 90% we're not going to see happy publishers (I'd say devs too but they can't self-publish).

MS has so much information to clean up now after E3. And a lot to answer for too.

Phawx

Alright guys,

I added everything that wasn't already asked in another way. Please review and see and let's make a decision after this.

AndyD

aka andydumi
this is pretty much what I've been saying as well, someone shot me down saying 'you can do that on ps3 right now!' I don't have a ps3 so no idea.

That is something you can do on PS3 today. Single player, multiplayer, no limits. Used to be 5 people, its down to 2 at the request of publishers.

I think the question list is spot on. A lot of the details that we want. Hopefully they won't be avoided with more PR.

SPDIF

Who wants to watch Game of Throne and NFL at the same time? New TV don't even offer picture in picture function anymore.

Well I don't think they're necessarily trying to sell it like that. They just used that as an example to show the snapping feature (and to show off their NFL integration).

Besides, the most interesting part of the video was seeing how much smoother the UI is compared to the build we saw in May.

Freki

Alright guys,

I added everything that wasn't already asked in another way. Please review and see and let's make a decision after this.

I think these two aspects should be added

kitch9

Banned

If Sony want to push to digital they should allow both disc and digital eco systems and provide a value driven push to digital to see if the market responds.

Phawx

I think these two aspects should be added

I added the retail vs dd question just so that we can be 100% sure. But I'm pretty sure that's how it works already, otherwise why need an auth check in when you have a disc? Still I added it.

Regarding the "guarantee" on the 10 member limit, I don't think there is anyway they could possibly answer that truthfully. For sure, they will have a stipulation that MS reserves the right to change the policy any time they see fit. That question won't get answered because they'd need a crystal ball to answer it.

Phawx

Alright guys,

Questions 1-16 seem to be a master list of clarifications/questions to Major Nelson. We have a few options.

Option 1.) Contact a PM and let them know what we plan on doing. Let's get approval before creating a new thread. The new thread is about letting gaffers know that we are trying to reach out to Major Nelson so he can address our questions. Strength in numbers and all that. However, we have to make it clear of the following:

One tweet per person. After you @Majornelson with the link to the new neogaf and say here's a list of questions RE: Family share, reply in the thread so that we can:

a.) See how many people in total have @'d him
b.) have it act as a signature of sorts that we'd like him to answer these questions.

Most importantly is that if MajorNelson indicates that he got our message. We need to issue a cease fire. So whoever is the OP needs to BOLDLY state in the beginning of the thread to stop messaging MajorNelson.

Option 2.) If we get shot down and a Mod doesn't want us posting a new thread with the questions, we'll just have to leave it to the people here and coordinate a specific time to tweet @ him so it's most effective. Like 5PM EST/ 2PM PST.

Sound good? Other ideas?

Klocker

of course this works for discs or DD on ONE...

that's exactly one of the main reasons for the DRM system... so all media gets treated as Licensed digital media and discs are only a container to get the media to the machine... it is the future regardless of how many people want to scream it's unfair... the only reason they kept discs was convenience for those with DL caps or not very fast connections...

This is the first of many systems that they will introduce to us that take advantage of an always online "Digital Only" console

m23

Alright guys,

Questions 1-16 seem to be a master list of clarifications/questions to Major Nelson. We have a few options.

Option 1.) Contact a PM and let them know what we plan on doing. Let's get approval before creating a new thread. The new thread is about letting gaffers know that we are trying to reach out to Major Nelson so he can address our questions. Strength in numbers and all that. However, we have to make it clear of the following:

One tweet per person. After you @Majornelson with the link to the new neogaf and say here's a list of questions RE: Family share, reply in the thread so that we can:

b.) have it act as a signature of sorts that we'd like him to answer these questions.

Most importantly is that if MajorNelson indicates that he got our message. We need to issue a cease fire. So whoever is the OP needs to BOLDLY state in the beginning of the thread to stop messaging MajorNelson.

Option 2.) If we get shot down and a Mod doesn't want us posting a new thread with the questions, we'll just have to leave it to the people here and coordinate a specific time to tweet @ him so it's most effective. Like 5PM EST/ 2PM PST.

Sound good? Other ideas?

Sounds good to me.

Alright guys,

Sound good? Other ideas?

good job hope he gets tons of messages from here to answer those questions

statham

Alright guys,

Sound good? Other ideas?
Questions sound good to me.

If Sony want to push to digital they should allow both disc and digital eco systems and provide a value driven push to digital to see if the market responds.

They are already doing this on the Vita and I suspect they will do the same on PS4. Every Sony 1st party game on the Vita is discounted digitally and sets the standard for other publishers to follow suit, and most do. That is how you get people to buy digital.

Freki

I added the retail vs dd question just so that we can be 100% sure. But I'm pretty sure that's how it works already, otherwise why need an auth check in when you have a disc? Still I added it.

Regarding the "guarantee" on the 10 member limit, I don't think there is anyway they could possibly answer that truthfully. For sure, they will have a stipulation that MS reserves the right to change the policy any time they see fit. That question won't get answered because they'd need a crystal ball to answer it.

Thanks and one last thing to add:

2.) d.) When someone leaves your "Family" will you regain an open spot or is it lost forever

malfcn

If someone is playing a game and I want to, what kind of alerts pop up?

"Sorry, this game is already checked out."
"Another family member would like to check this game out."

Phawx

Good news Everyone.

Looks like we got the blessing of a mod. Seeing as I'm a junior member, I can't create new threads. So someone is going to have to volunteer. Let's avoid duplicates of posts and just elect someone who is willing to volunteer.

Secondly, the thread title should be something like, "Questions to ask Major Nelson RE: Family Share policy. We need GAFs help!" Or something along those lines.

At the top of the thread make sure this is BOLD:

Gaf we need your help. Please send ONE! tweet per person @Majornelson with the link to this thread (preferably edit the post with the link to the new thread) and say here's a list of questions RE: Family share.

Afterwards we need GAF members to reply in the thread so that we can:

So. Any volunteers?

ultron87

This Kotaku article had a slightly different take on this then I'd seen elsewhere, but still not direct quotes saying how it works: http://kotaku.com/the-xbox-one-believers-513819282

[Spencer and I discuss the Xbox One's new family sharing option, which lets 10 members of a "family" share access to games. This seems to be the best thing of all the uncustomary new parameters that have been established for this new Xbox. In a family group, the head of household can always play any game; and one other member of the family, no matter where they are, can play too.]

Kotaku: Can we be in the same family?

Spencer: Yeah.

Kotaku: What would be the limitation on that?

Spencer: [After encouraging me to check Microsoft's published document on this] I do think that sharing in a family group is an important part of the positives in our ecosystem today...You don't have to send in your birth certificate. You define what a family unit is and the people who connect to you and how that library works.

This is the first reference I'd seen to a "head of the household" which sounds like some sort of master account that is the only one with a shared library.

m23

Good news Everyone.

Looks like we got the blessing of a mod. Seeing as I'm a junior member, I can't create new threads. So someone is going to have to volunteer. Let's avoid duplicates of posts and just elect someone who is willing to volunteer.

Secondly, the thread title should be something like, "Questions to ask Major Nelson RE: Family Share policy. We need GAFs help!" Or something along those lines.

At the top of the thread make sure this is BOLD:

Gaf we need your help. Please send ONE! tweet per person @Majornelson with the link to this thread (preferably edit the post with the link to the new thread) and say here's a list of questions RE: Family share.

Afterwards we need GAF members to reply in the thread so that we can:

So. Any volunteers?

I guess I could if no one else is up for it. I might be MIA for a bit around 5pm EST though. Let me know if that's alright.

This Kotaku article had a slightly different take on this then I'd seen elsewhere, but still not direct quotes saying how it works: http://kotaku.com/the-xbox-one-believers-513819282

This is the first reference I'd seen to a "head of the household" which sounds like some sort of master account that is the only one with a shared library.

Sounds like the master license holder the one that bought the game atleast that is what i hope it means. Family library is such a stupid name. They should have called it Shared library to avoid the confusion microsoft and their stupid marketing and pr.

Phawx

I guess I could if no one else is up for it. I might be MIA for a bit around 5pm EST though. Let me know if that's alright.

Thanks dude. Let's get the ball rolling. Reply in this thread to the new post when it's up. I'll be monitoring @gafnewthreads

Vestal

Gold Member
Sounds like the master license holder the one that bought the game atleast that is what i hope it means. Family library is such a stupid name. They should have called it Shared library to avoid the confusion microsoft and their stupid marketing and pr.

If they call it "your xbox family" it can work.

If they call it "your xbox family" it can work.

The word family gives to me the impression of blood relatives.
Shared library means sharing your library with others to me.
Its just more to the point to the concept they are selling.

The X1 pr is shrouded by a thick layer of mist this console launch will go into the history books. Microsoft needs to wake up from Lala land and fix their pr.

Klocker

The word family gives to me the impression of blood relatives.
Shared library means sharing your library with others to me.
Its just more to the point to the concept they are selling.

The X1 pr is shrouded by a thick layer of mist this console launch will go into the history books. Microsoft needs to wake up from Lala land and fix their pr.

yep... they should rename it Game Sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom