• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PhillyGAF |OT|

esms

Also, how would I do due diligence on something like this? A roach infestation is probably not hard to spot but if the seller is doing their best to cover it up, what else can I do besides asking the owner/neighbors point blank and looking for combat baits in cupboards? I looked around to see if there are home pest inspection services (akin to regular home inspection) and most of the hits seem to revolve around termites or inspecting an already existing problem.

For apartments, look at reviews online under listing sites. For houses, there's gotta be some equivalent. Property reviews or neighborhood reviews perhaps? Use that as a jumping off point to narrow down your options.

Sure thing. For restaurants, I'd recommend a few WestPhillyGAF are familiar with in Saad's Halal, Manakeesh, and Kaffa Crossing. Great stuff - and Saad's actually has the best cheesesteak in the city in my opinion.

Also, for Center City West/Rittenhous area, Vic's is a great place for sushi.

For entertainment, I'm a little bias because I love hanging up out in Center City West. I usually hit up Smiths if I don't feel like pre-gaming at home as they have very cheap drinks that are actually good. Byblos is great for hookah too.

Maybe we should do a PhillyGAF Sips meet up or something, I think that would be fun. Just throwing that out there.

I'll definitely add these in. While I like smiths, I've grown tired of how cramped that bar is on peak days.

And I'm sure we'll get a sips meet up soon.

Alucrid

Banned
Does anyone know how bad the roach problem is in center city (rittenhouse sq/washington sq west/society hill areas) and university city?

Philly is a large metropolis and like any city, im sure roaches are problematic but im wondering how prevalent the issue is in some of the better neighborhoods. Also, considering that rowhomes typify a lot of these neighborhoods, i can imagine it being a persistent problem if your neighbor happens to be a hoarder despite your best efforts to prevent infestation.

When I was in university city I had to seal with the big roaches that cane from outdoors. Nothing some traps, poison bait, etc didn't handle.

Does anyone know how bad the roach problem is in center city (rittenhouse sq/washington sq west/society hill areas) and university city?

Philly is a large metropolis and like any city, im sure roaches are problematic but im wondering how prevalent the issue is in some of the better neighborhoods. Also, considering that rowhomes typify a lot of these neighborhoods, i can imagine it being a persistent problem if your neighbor happens to be a hoarder despite your best efforts to prevent infestation.

I've never had a problem with roaches in any of my places. You get the occasional water bug (black giant ass roaches) but they aren't the same kind of infestations like the regular (brown, smaller) roaches are. Clean your place and spray the perimeters of your walls and outside your place once a year with insecticide and you will be fine.

I did have a rat once. Big piece of shit. They were demolishing the place next to my apartment and put a hole in the basement/foundation somehow, and a rat got in. The thing terrorized us for like a month and my landlord couldn't trap it. We were about to move so we just sort of hastened our departure.

City pools are scheduled to begin opening on June 18th. Usually takes 1-2 weeks for them all to open.

Really annoys me that they don't keep morning hours. Or a weekend adult swim for that matter.

esms

So anybody who works in Center City (I'm defining that broadly: river to river South St to around Arch St) may want to look into securing PTO the week that the Pope is here. It may be worse than I initially thought.

It may be no vehicle travel (cars, bikes) and no persons within the cordon without journalist credentials, which are being cleared now. That means you won't even be able to walk in Center City without the right papers.

Many businesses in my industry are planning on all but shutting down for the end of that week. Just thought I should amend my last warning.

So anybody who works in Center City (I'm defining that broadly: river to river South St to around Arch St) may want to look into securing PTO the week that the Pope is here. It may be worse than I initially thought.

It may be no vehicle travel (cars, bikes) and no persons within the cordon without journalist credentials, which are being cleared now. That means you won't even be able to walk in Center City without the right papers.

Many businesses in my industry are planning on all but shutting down for the end of that week. Just thought I should amend my last warning.

I am sure the walking limitations are only for a limited time in the staging area. Also, I don't think they are allowed to prevent you from entering your place of work or home. They just ask you questions first.

But yeah, it will be chaos. There are already a lot of people in the city getting overwhelmed by the increased workloads.

Yeah, I work at the college, and walk their for lunch close to once a week at this point. They get pretty messy but taste damn good

I wish they were $0.50 to $1 cheaper. But the prices aren't super bad. That strip of Callowhill has so many good restaurants now. Doma is still my favorite sushi place in the city, and they even have a handful of awesome Korean dishes.

esms

I am sure the walking limitations are only for a limited time in the staging area. Also, I don't think they are allowed to prevent you from entering your place of work or home. They just ask you questions first.

But yeah, it will be chaos. There are already a lot of people in the city getting overwhelmed by the increased workloads.

Yeah, I was kinda baffled when I heard the no walking bit. Here's to hoping it's not too bad.

bigkrev

I wish they were $0.50 to $1 cheaper. But the prices aren't super bad. That strip of Callowhill has so many good restaurants now. Doma is still my favorite sushi place in the city, and they even have a handful of awesome Korean dishes.

Never went into Doma because it looked too "fancy" a place to grab lunch by myself on a lunch break :(

Never went into Doma because it looked too "fancy" a place to grab lunch by myself on a lunch break :(

Eh, it's sort of fancy I guess. I'd encourage you to though. Do you like Korean food? Try the bibimbap there. My old Korean roommate said it was one of the most authentic Korean dishes he'd had in Philly. Their sushi and rolls are also very good. No clue if they do lunch specials, but it's definitely a great restaurant.

Interestingly, Miga, a Korean barbeque place, opened up on Hamilton street across from the Wawa where Lox, Stock and Barrel used to be. It used to be located in CC on like 15th and Locust, then closed for like a year. The food was good when I went back in the day. I have to try it again, but I remember it being expensive.

Eh, it's sort of fancy I guess. I'd encourage you to though. Do you like Korean food? Try the bibimbap there. My old Korean roommate said it was one of the most authentic Korean dishes he'd had in Philly. Their sushi and rolls are also very good. No clue if they do lunch specials, but it's definitely a great restaurant.

Interestingly, Miga, a Korean barbeque place, opened up on Hamilton street across from the Wawa where Lox, Stock and Barrel used to be. It used to be located in CC on like 15th and Locust, then closed for like a year. The food was good when I went back in the day. I have to try it again, but I remember it being expensive.

I just checked to see if Doma also serves hot stone bibimbap and thats the only bibimbap available. Is this the one you (and your roommate) are talking about? If so, I'll have to go there since my wife loves the stuff (only the hot stone variety).

Looking at google maps, there's an Indian place right next it called King of Tandoor. Has anyone tried it and is it any good? I definitely need to scope out for a good Indian place, preferably one that serves lunch buffet.

I just checked to see if Doma also serves hot stone bibimbap and thats the only bibimbap available. Is this the one you (and your roommate) are talking about? If so, I'll have to go there since my wife loves the stuff (only the hot stone variety).

Looking at google maps, there's an Indian place right next it called King of Tandoor. Has anyone tried it and is it any good? I definitely need to scope out for a good Indian place, preferably one that serves lunch buffet.

Yeah, that's the bibimbap. That's really the only true authentic Korean they have at Doma, but it's good and easier than hauling yourself elsewhere a lot of the time. They also do a very interesting take on ddukbokki, not authentic but it's very good. King of Tandoor is ok. I wouldn't eat in but it's good, cheap takeout. I like it better than Tiffin for what it's worth.

psylah

Yeah, that's the bibimbap. That's really the only true authentic Korean they have at Doma, but it's good and easier than hauling yourself elsewhere a lot of the time. They also do a very interesting take on ddukbokki, not authentic but it's very good. King of Tandoor is ok. I wouldn't eat in but it's good, cheap takeout. I like it better than Tiffin for what it's worth.

There is a small Korean restaurant in the concourse (underground) west of City Hall. I believe I've seen bibimbap on their menu.

Ryuukan

Giwa is a block down from the Apple Store and does pretty good dol sot bimbimbap

It has tables but it's more of a quick service place

living next to a park can sometimes suck.

softball teams who come and take up parking is annoying but whatever.

Every night this week though theyll leave like all the trash and bottles and stuff just next to their car and just drive away.

Lame.

D

Deleted member 529084

Unconfirmed Member
Alright...this fool is single again after years..

Need as many suggestions as date spots for a girl I'm seeing..

So far we've hit two Hukkah places, Aloosh and Infusion (then Cuba Libre after bar)
Day trip we hit up the Mutter Museum...shes into odd stuff.

Were both in are mid-30's, not much for the club scene, kinda romantic type stuff mixed with intellectual/intresting.

gcubed

i moved out to the bay area 2 years ago from Philly after growing up in the area... while its incredibly beautiful out here, completely different world, i still miss Philly and family there. There's a certain level of familiarity I haven't been able to get out here, but its 2 years vs 33 years... not a fair comparison. But good god do i miss the prices of everything back east.

Alright...this fool is single again after years..

Need as many suggestions as date spots for a girl I'm seeing..

So far we've hit two Hukkah places, Aloosh and Infusion (then Cuba Libre after bar)
Day trip we hit up the Mutter Museum...shes into odd stuff.

Were both in are mid-30's, not much for the club scene, kinda romantic type stuff mixed with intellectual/intresting.

I would try art after 5 at the philly art museum:

Friday evenings take on a whole new groove with Art After 5, a unique blend of entertainment from 5:00 to 8:45 p.m. in the Great Stair Hall. With an eclectic mix of international music, dance, and recognized and emerging jazz artists, Art After 5 is a stylish way to start your weekend.

Each week, the Great Stair Hall transforms into an intimate cabaret for Art After 5 performances. Starr Events serves up fun, shareable snacks and light supper options as well as cocktails, wine, and beer to complement the live entertainment. Relax at a table with waiter service or stop by the bar.
Don’t miss a single show. Sign up for the Evening Programs Newsletter for all Art After 5 news and updates.

Art After 5 programs are subject to change. The performances are scheduled for 5:45–6:45 p.m. and 7:15–8:15 p.m. Guided gallery tours are offered throughout the evening. Art After 5 performances and guided tours are free after Museum admission. All galleries in the main building are open Friday evenings.

http://www.philamuseum.org/artafter5

So we have been vacillating between city or suburb living and one of my wife's future colleague pitched Bala Cynwyd hard. Coincidentally, it's on the top of my list if we go the suburb route since property prices seem more reasonable compared to the wealthier areas nearby while sharing the same top school system. It's proximity to the city is also attractive.

It appears there are two highschools that serve the area; Lower Merion HS and Harriton HS. Anyone know if there are any significant difference between these two schools? In regard to the quality of the education, they seem conparable (one is ranked 16 and the other 18 in PA) based on the link Manmademan posted but I wonder if there are some cultural differences.

In addition, I understand that the area is very safe but given it's proximity to the city, I wonder how much spill over crime there is. It appears most of the crime involves theft/mugging but I heard that it can be not uncommon especially as you get closer to City Ave. When I read about how someone walking their dog around 8pm was shot dead after a botched mugging attempt in Overbrook (which borders Bala Cynwyd), paranoia about safety sets in again.

Any input is much appreciated!

i moved out to the bay area 2 years ago from Philly after growing up in the area... while its incredibly beautiful out here, completely different world, i still miss Philly and family there. There's a certain level of familiarity I haven't been able to get out here, but its 2 years vs 33 years... not a fair comparison. But good god do i miss the prices of everything back east.

Moving was a mistake.

So we have been vacillating between city or suburb living and one of my wife's future colleague pitched Bala Cynwyd hard. Coincidentally, it's on the top of my list if we go the suburb route since property prices seem more reasonable compared to the wealthier areas nearby while sharing the same top school system. It's proximity to the city is also attractive.

It appears there are two highschools that serve the area; Lower Merion HS and Harriton HS. Anyone know if there are any significant difference between these two schools? In regard to the quality of the education, they seem conparable (one is ranked 16 and the other 18 in PA) based on the link Manmademan posted but I wonder if there are some cultural differences.

In addition, I understand that the area is very safe but given it's proximity to the city, I wonder how much spill over crime there is. It appears most of the crime involves theft/mugging but I heard that it can be not uncommon especially as you get closer to City Ave. When I read about how someone walking their dog around 8pm was shot dead after a botched mugging attempt in Overbrook (which borders Bala Cynwyd), paranoia about safety sets in again.

Suburbs are and continue to be lame. If you're commuting into the city it's still going to take you forever to drive from there. It'll take as long but be less stressful to take a train. But yeah, crime there is not a worry even remotely. It rarely crosses the borders. It's weird in that way in the Philly area. Sometimes the crime changes completely based on what side of the street you are on. You're never going to be 100% safe. Murders and violent crime are very rarely random, they are almost always targeted or the result of an interaction immediately before. If you're not getting into arguments in bars with really drunk people and you're not interacting with drug dealers the worst you're going to have to worry about is a burglary, and no area is free of that worry.

Alucrid

Banned
living next to a park can sometimes suck.

softball teams who come and take up parking is annoying but whatever.

Every night this week though theyll leave like all the trash and bottles and stuff just next to their car and just drive away.

Lame.

i used to have a drum line wake me up on the weekend

try having deal with that shit hungover

esms

I can ship you a bag of pretzels if you want.

Ryuukan

you would probably want to take regional rail if going with bala cynwyd, the drive will suck downtown

LM high school is very nice

The Llama

you would probably want to take regional rail if going with bala cynwyd, the drive will suck downtown

LM high school is very nice

Eh, driving downtown from there isn't too bad. Just get on Kelly Drive and you're downtown quickly. But yeah, 76/etc. is always miserable.

Ok, this is officially insanity.

Be Prepared to Walk for Miles: Officials Detail Transportation Plans for World Meeting, Papal Visit

The transit authority will close 251 of its 282 rail stations -- subway, regional rail and trolley -- to essentially convert the network to express service. Trains will be fully-loaded at one of 31 stops and travel directly into Center City Philadelphia. The empty train will then be turned around and sent back to pick up more people.

Are we going to die?

Thanks for the replies. I should've clarified that if we do drive, we would most likely park at the Penn campus. Even with traffic, driving time from Bala Cynwyd appear to be ~30 mins (half that without) according to Google maps so I thought it was pretty decent.

I will look into side roads some of you have mentioned if it comes to that. While I agree that the suburb life can be boring, some of the houses in Bala Cynwyd that are within our price range makes it extremely tempting.

The Llama

That's assuming Kelly Drive isn't closed for some event or another. There's also West River Drive which may be better from Bala Cynwyd.

True, but tbh my dad has commuted down Kelly Drive for ~25 years now and it's really not a problem except for 2-3 weeks of the year. West River Drive sucks though, I try my best to avoid it whenever possible.

Thanks for the replies. I should've clarified that if we do drive, we would most likely park at the Penn campus. Even with traffic, driving time from Bala Cynwyd appear to be ~30 mins (half that without) according to Google maps so I thought it was pretty decent.

I will look into side roads some of you have mentioned if it comes to that. While I agree that the suburb life can be boring, some of the houses in Bala Cynwyd that are within our price range makes it extremely tempting.

Bala Cynwyd is nice, don't get me wrong, but it's absolutely a completely different lifestyle to living in the city (despite its proximity), so I think first you need to decide which lifestyle you want to have.

MJPIA

Yeah I'm gonna stay far away from Philly when the pope comes.

Went to yakitori boy yesterday with friends for karaoke.
That place is nice.
It also introduced me to the awesomeness of pomegranate liquor.

Top Bottom