• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Photography: DSLR vs Mirrorless

Status
Not open for further replies.

hEist

Any reason why vs the 50mm?

normally a 50mm is a "portrait" lens. While the 35mm is good at all things. Landscape, street, portraits. While you often need to get a "step" back with the 50mm, although you saw a better perspective with your own eyes.
The 35mm is closer to the focal composition of the human eye.

Also: the d5200 is not a fullframe.
which means:
50mm x 1,5 = 75mm
35mm x 1,5 = 52,5mm
in real.

jstripes

Banned
I feel like the biggest determining factor for most should be how serious you want to take your photography in the future.

I'm a hobbyist. Photography is a form of expression for me. I only need one or two lenses to get by. Maybe three.

i'm gonna respectfully disagree. at least for me, the image should come out to how it looks in real life. post processing it to the point of way too vibrant of colors or non-natural looking colors defeats my definition of what the purpose of photography is, which si to bring the audience to what you were looking at when you took those shots.

That sounds a lot like my boss. He went to school for a few years to study photography, and views it like a science. He'll spend half an hour setting up a shot. (Meanwhile, his day job has zero to do with photography.)

I view photography as art. It doesn't need to be perfect, or exactly what you see.

Which is actually a pretty good camera anyway.

It is still a good camera (D40x), just not for my general needs anymore. It's terrible at high ISO, and I rarely ever use a tripod. I love taking photos in low light, so I needed something new.

Flo_Evans

I think in the entry level hobbyist stage you get more bang for your buck with mirrorless.

D5100 and other similar entry level DSLRs really don't have any of the speed and accuracy of a "pro" model so you might as well just get a mirrorless camera.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It is still a good camera (D40x), just not for my general needs anymore. It's terrible at high ISO, and I rarely ever use a tripod. I love taking photos in low light, so I needed something new.

If you love taking photos in low light, you're gonna want to use a tripod. Unless I'm doing photojournalism, 80% of my low light photos are done at under ISO 400.

jstripes

Banned
If you love taking photos in low light, you're gonna want to use a tripod. Unless I'm doing photojournalism, 80% of my low light photos are done at under ISO 400.

Ya, that's not gonna work 95% of the time.

I tend to take photos unplanned and as I see them. Part of the reason I wanted a mirrorless was because it's smaller and easier to carry around with me than a DSLR. Carrying a tripod around goes in the exact opposite direction.

I can get decent results if I brace myself properly, but even then I wanted something with optical stabilization and better low-light quality because I have naturally unsteady hands.

aerts1js

I'm a hobbyist. Photography is a form of expression for me. I only need one or two lenses to get by. Maybe three.

That sounds a lot like my boss. He went to school for a few years to study photography, and views it like a science. He'll spend half an hour setting up a shot. (Meanwhile, his day job has zero to do with photography.)

I view photography as art. It doesn't need to be perfect, or exactly what you see.

I totally agree with this statement. Not saying the other opinion is wrong but that's my personal approach toward photography. I view it much more as an art then the science of replicating a location/scene in the most realistic way possible.

I suppose there are just different ways you can look at taking photos and there isn't one particular way which is "right"

tino

Banned
I think in the entry level hobbyist stage you get more bang for your buck with mirrorless.

D5100 and other similar entry level DSLRs really don't have any of the speed and accuracy of a "pro" model so you might as well just get a mirrorless camera.

More bang for the bucks (including 3rd party and used options) for the low end, Canon is still the king.

More bang for the bucks for a compact and light system, m43 is probably the best option.

Most bang for the bucks for mid/high end APSC system is wide open. I think everybody except Sony and Samsung can make a convincing case.

As far as the most completed system for APSC format with mid/high end lens design specifically for the sensor format, there are only 3 completed system, m4/3, Fuji and Pentax. Canon and Nikon want to protect their FF system so their APSC offerings are incomplete.

jcutner

photogaf, i have a question! let me know if there is a better OT for this too.

I'm coming from a Canon XSi, and often I take pictures at motorsports events, and one of the common shots I take is where I pan the camera with the moving object so I can have a blurry background, to make it appear the obect in focus is moving. (like below)

I just bought a Sony RX100 Mk II, and I'm wondering how I can achieve a similar shot, if possible? I haven't had much time to play around with it yet, so I'm just curious. I can typically get away with taking these shots using Auto on my DSLR when I'm feeling lazy. When I tried to simulate a shot like this with the RX100, it went into burst mode when I held down the shutter, and took 10 pictures in a row. Is there a particular setting I need to use, to either turn off burst mode, and allow me to pan as I hold the shutter to get a picture like that? Or do I need to fall back on adjusting the shutter speed?

9338594491_3d2cdec398_b.jpg

9341338388_914f7db28c_b.jpg

hEist

photogaf, i have a question! let me know if there is a better OT for this too.

I'm coming from a Canon XSi, and often I take pictures at motorsports events, and one of the common shots I take is where I pan the camera with the moving object so I can have a blurry background, to make it appear the obect in focus is moving. (like below)

I just bought a Sony RX100 Mk II, and I'm wondering how I can achieve a similar shot, if possible? I haven't had much time to play around with it yet, so I'm just curious. I can typically get away with taking these shots using Auto on my DSLR when I'm feeling lazy. When I tried to simulate a shot like this with the RX100, it went into burst mode when I held down the shutter, and took 10 pictures in a row. Is there a particular setting I need to use, to either turn off burst mode, and allow me to pan as I hold the shutter to get a picture like that? Or do I need to fall back on adjusting the shutter speed?

9338594491_3d2cdec398_b.jpg

9341338388_914f7db28c_b.jpg

Set it on s mode and try 1/15 time. and then just pan with the car.

Aurongel

...I just bought a Sony RX100 Mk II, and I'm wondering how I can achieve a similar shot, if possible? I haven't had much time to play around with it yet, so I'm just curious. I can typically get away with taking these shots using Auto on my DSLR when I'm feeling lazy. When I tried to simulate a shot like this with the RX100, it went into burst mode when I held down the shutter, and took 10 pictures in a row. Is there a particular setting I need to use, to either turn off burst mode, and allow me to pan as I hold the shutter to get a picture like that? Or do I need to fall back on adjusting the shutter speed?

You're going to want to practice panning a bit before you'll be able to get some usable shots with this method, it's very hard to pull off correctly in my experience with mirrorless cameras. You'll want to start by setting your drive to single shot and making sure you're shooting on S mode so you can set your own shutter speed. Depending on the speed of the subject, I'd try shooting below 1/20 sec. This might be more challenging with an RX100 though because you won't have a viewfinder and you'll have to deal with the short-ish maximum focal length of the RX100 (which depends on your distance to the subject).

jcutner

You're going to want to practice panning a bit before you'll be able to get some usable shots with this method, it's very hard to pull off correctly in my experience with mirrorless cameras. You'll want to start by setting your drive to single shot and making sure you're shooting on S mode so you can set your own shutter speed. Depending on the speed of the subject, I'd try shooting below 1/20 sec. This might be more challenging with an RX100 though because you won't have a viewfinder and you'll have to deal with the short-ish maximum focal length of the RX100 (which depends on your distance to the subject).

Hrm. I was planning on taking just the RX100 on a trip and leaving the DSLR behind. It was somewhat short sighted to get a brand new camera I have no idea how to use before a trip, sort of a hit-the-ground-running experience.

Seth C

I totally agree with this statement. Not saying the other opinion is wrong but that's my personal approach toward photography. I view it much more as an art then the science of replicating a location/scene in the most realistic way possible.

I suppose there are just different ways you can look at taking photos and there isn't one particular way which is "right"

It also depends on presentation. To me there are photos and there is also photo-art. If there is more computer generated imagery that photo, well, I can't consider that a photograph anymore.

As with the other poster, while I wouldn't consider photography strictly science as even in the most basic form it is open to a huge amount of artistry, a photo should be a capturing of a moment, from a perspective.

Plus, for the most part people doing HDR wankery make things that look like shit anyway, but that's another issue.

Over the last five or so years, I've flip-flopped between mirrorless and DSLR. Yet I still can't decide on which I prefer.

It mostly boils down to seize and weight for me. Since the results are usually near identical.

(OP should go for the 3100, though. It's a great little camera that will bring you into the Nikon world)

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
This thread popped back up at a perfect time. I recently bought a Sony Alpha 6000 with 50 f1.8 lens as my mirrorless backup.

By no means it is meant to replace my Canon 450D and Canon 60D with 50mm f1.2, 85mm f1.2, 24-70mm f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 II, but it helps if I want to go around and not attract attention in Vegas.

The autofocus is nice, and the dynamic range and ISO performance is top class, but I am definitely saddened by a lack of native e-mount lenses. I would have preferred getting an 85mm f1.8/f1.4 to mirror my canon L lens. The battery life also is lacking, I am used to the fact that I can take 1200-1600 photos on a single battery on my canon 60D. It will take a while to get used to this 350-450 shot battery life.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Had a sony 5n for about a year, I sold it and got the x100s. Noticed I was using 35mm equivalent on my zoom lens with the attached evf so I went with the x100s that both in one small package. I'm very self conscious so walking around with a DSLR was a big no no lol. I love the optical/digital hybrid Vf on the x100 and could never go back :)

Maybe I'll get the next xpro if I decide I need a different focal length. I say try as many cameras as you can, and rent if you can.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
This is the first time I've really seen much about comparisons. What are the current best mirrorless cameras out right now? Under $500?

I'm curious to take a look.

Aurongel

The autofocus is nice, and the dynamic range and ISO performance is top class, but I am definitely saddened by a lack of native e-mount lenses...

It's by no means a perfect solution to your problem but are you familiar with the Metabones Speed Booster for E-Mount bodies?

It won't cut down on your bulk much but my friend who owns one had nothing but nice things to say about it.

Also, why do you own two crop sensor Canon cameras? Is the 450D a backup or something? With wide aperture glass like that it makes me wonder why you haven't moved to a 6D or refurbished 5D mk II.

...What are the current best mirrorless cameras out right now? Under $500?

The Sony NEX 5T or 5R are a better value for their price than just about any entry level Canon/Nikon equivalent DSLR.

tmdorsey

-Price does matter: DSLR's are expensive. Cheap DSLR's are without exception shitty cameras. Yes you can get a Canon T3i with the useless kit lens for $600 but that camera is a piece of shit you will hate. It has terrible viewfinder and lacks many features that make it worth getting a DSLR. A full frame Canon will cost you $2k+ to $3700 body only and the lenses for full frame sensors are WAY more expensive and bigger than lenses made for smaller sensors. If you believe Diaspora's BS and buy some L lenses for your cheap ass canon T3i it will be a waste of money because you are paying full frame lens prices and using it on a crop body. Mirrorless system lenses are designed for the smaller sensor and body so they are smaller while having equal or much better IQ while being much cheaper.

Well now I feel like shit for this purchase me and my wife made this past Xmas
Canon_zps41d7d301.png

Oh well we've been ok with the pics so far without any post processing.

Anybody got links with good tips for a beginner on post-processing pictures?

Aurongel

switched from Canon 600 T2i to Nikon D5200

The difference in IQ is incredible

Wow, Snapsort ranks the image quality of the D5200 30% higher than the Canon 60D and just a hair north of the Canon 6D and 70D.

Canon seems to be really falling behind in terms of sensor technology in the past few years.

T3i is not a shit camera. Don't listen to that guy.

The T3i was my first DSLR and while it wasn't great for the price, it definitely wasn't terrible.

Herr K

Banned
Nikon's sensors are better than Canon's, at least on the cheaper cameras. The 5200 is not just newer, but also more expensive than the T2i, the difference had to be there.
The T3i was my first DSLR and while it wasn't great for the price, it definitely wasn't terrible.

I just got one and paid $383 + taxes for it. I don't think you can beat it at that price point. If you know what you're doing and have good glass, you can definitely take impressive shots.

Aurongel

...I just got one and paid $383 + taxes for it. I don't think you can beat it at that price point. If you know what you're doing and have good glass, you can definitely take impressive shots.

Damn, that is a good price. I picked one up years ago back when it was ~$600 on sale and I definitely took some great stuff even with the kit lens like:

8450083379_6e7f5c06a1.jpg

The minimum focusing distance on the kit lens is maybe the only impressive thing about it.

Nikon's sensors are better than Canon's, at least on the cheaper cameras. The 5200 is not just newer, but also more expensive than the T2i, the difference had to be there...

You'd think that but the T2/3/4i and 60D/7D all have the same sensor and all get trounced by the performance of the D5200.

Maybe I'm just underestimating the difference that 4 years has on sensor technology but that chasm in quality is pretty dramatic.

Nikon's sensors are better than Canon's, at least on the cheaper cameras. The 5200 is not just newer, but also more expensive than the T2i, the difference had to be there.

I just got one and paid $383 + taxes for it. I don't think you can beat it at that price point. If you know what you're doing and have good glass, you can definitely take impressive shots.

well I paid $420 for the D5200 and got paid $340 for the T2i on Amazon. so for me at least it the difference was not great but I agree if you don't get a good deal it is a big difference.

Herr K

Banned
You'd have to compare the 70D if you want an accurate comparison, at least based on the sensor age and quality.

At the end of the day, you could have a Nikon D4s and still get shit pictures if you don't know how to use it. So your skills definitely go a long way, and I believe they're more important than the sensor if you're only beginning.

Hmm, I've been thinking about that one as a good travel lens, but I was thinking that maybe the 35/1.8 would be a good choice as well as a sharp prime. Zeiss is unfortunately out of my range at the moment... Will definitely check out the 18200!

Also your photos are really something. It's quite hard to fathom they were taken with a similar camera to mine. I followed you on Flickr, looking forward to more! I'd love to get some advice if you ever have the time. :)

I have/use the Zeiss 24mm and it's outstanding, it nearly never come off my camera these days. The only issue is the price, but i was able to pick it up on vacation in tokyo for much less then the USD price

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
It's by no means a perfect solution to your problem but are you familiar with the Metabones Speed Booster for E-Mount bodies?

I have considered it, but hearing stories about how it is not as sharp as native lenses combined with the added weight to a mostly plastic body is not a good mix. I got the Sony Alpha 6000 to blend in more, not to stick out. Putting a 50 f1.2L would pretty much stop that purpose. Forget the bigger lenses!!!

Not to mention that the shorter flange distance should theoretically mean that a native e-mount 85mm f1.4/1.8 would be smaller than its DSLR equivalent.

Also, why do you own two crop sensor Canon cameras? Is the 450D a backup or something? With wide aperture glass like that it makes me wonder why you haven't moved to a 6D or refurbished 5D mk II.

I use both camera bodies simultaneously, the 450D is my original DSLR that I bought in 2008. I decided to get a second camera body (the Canon 60D) to deal with not switching lenses as frequently. It is much more convenient to choose two lenses based on the venue layout. For example, if I go to a small hotel convention, having a 50mm f1.2L and 24-70mm f2.8L is a nice combination. If I go to a bigger venue, having an 50L/85L combination or a 50L/70-200L combination works.

I am considering moving full frame with a 6D once my DSLR's shutter breaks, when that happens I will just use the canon loyalty program to get a lightly refurbished (heavily discounted) camera body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom