• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Physics-Based, Vehicle-Building Adventure "Trailmakers" Launches Tomorrow on PS4

"Salvage parts from your crashed ship, rebuild, and see if you can make it back home."

Mikkel Thorsted, Creative Director of Trailmakers, posted a blog about the upcoming indie release on PSN

The idea for Trailmakers started a long time ago. In the days of 2D Flash games, we made a game that had many of the same components that Trailmakers has. You had a little brother and you were trying to send him flying in different ways (for science of course), so you built bikes with jet engines, or dumpsters with propellers to try and make him take off.

In Trailmakers, you build your own vehicles out of building blocks, and pilot them through challenging open worlds.
Each part you find will let you build a new type of vehicle so you can get a little further. Eventually you will be making boats, submarines, helicopters, airplanes… and hopefully a brand-new spaceship.

49895467493_5ea98a7920_h.jpg

Whether you are into building the most exact replica of your favorite sports car, a crazy invention like a mechanical fire-breathing dragon or trying to build a supersonic airplane, the sandbox is the perfect place for it.

49895467428_684b4981a7_h.jpg

In many ways, Trailmakers is a collaborative game. You can play with your friends in multiplayer, sharing your builds or blasting each other to bits, but even if you prefer playing alone you can be part of our community. Trailmakers has a built-in Gallery where players can upload their creations and download ones built by others.

The game is not the only thing that is collaborative. We know that a creative building game like Trailmakers is ripe territory for feature suggestions by fans. Future updates to the game will see new parts and features added, many of which have been invented by fans and approved by our community on Discord.

I honestly think it looks kinda fun. These kind of games can be charming. Not sure how fleshed out the worlds are, but if it is 20 bucks or less I might have to take a dip.

ehh, turns out it's 45 bucks

Probably gonna have to wait for a sale, or wait for it to hit PS+ monthly freebie

McCheese

Getting some Banjo kazooie nuts and bolts vibes from the vehicle creator.

Need to know what content this actually has to justify the price.

I got this on Steam for my birthday back in November. I put over 60 hours into the early access version.

If you're getting Banjo Nuts & Bolts vibes it's because it's pretty much a clone in almost every way.

I LOVED Nuts & Bolts and I really enjoyed Trailmakers. When I played it was still in early access and many parts of the game were unfinished so I imagine the numerous quirks I experienced will be mostly ironed out.

You can make some very complicated vehicles compared to Nuts & Bolts thanks to switches that rely on parameters. For example you can make it so that part B only extends after part A fully tilts to prevents parts crashing.

I made some JLG telehandling forklifts like the ones I operate at work. Every motion the real thing does works in the game. Extend, retract, platform tilt, basket tilt, outriggers, lights, etc

9KREKpO.jpg

Bpsk9Cp.jpg

Parts experience bending and torsion before breaking apart. Part load capacities are well represented so you know how close to the breaking point your vehicle is at any point. It's really a lot of fun to play with.

i4m0rI4.jpg

I also made a fish that can go under water and jump about 500ft into the air.

CSThmNA.jpg

Last edited:

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
The game is great imo, and it's only focused on racing if that's what you happen to be focused on. People do and build all sorts of crazy things in this game. I've played it a bunch on my channel (but I'll stop shamelessly promoting it for now) but I think if you really want to get a good idea of what crazy things people get up to, I'd suggest checking out some of Scrapman's Trailmakers content. For example: He did multiplayer battlebots with him and his friends recently and it looked like tons of fun. I think I'm gonna need to make friends finally so I can do that ;p

element

i find it crazy that this game started as a prototype called Project Karoo at Press Play while they were part of Microsoft.

Actually two of these prototypes are now games Deep Rock Galactic was another one.

bender

What time is it?
Looks neat. I Kickstarted as similar game on PC but the name escapes me.

edit: TerraTech.

Last edited:

dottme

I have to look closely to realize this isn't a Lego game. They are playing with fire for the copyright as it looks really, really similar to Lego.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
No. It has been on Xbox for a year and Early Access on PC since 2018.
BTW, welcome back not your first port this year, but somehow this is the first one I see... nice to see more and more of the Older Guard :) active and on the site, thanks :).

element

BTW, welcome back not your first port this year, but somehow this is the first one I see... nice to see more and more of the Older Guard :) active and on the site, thanks :).
Always nice to see an old friend :) Scary to think we are going into a new generation. Felt like the Dreamcast was yesterday.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Always nice to see an old friend :) Scary to think we are going into a new generation. Felt like the Dreamcast was yesterday.

Yes :), it does make one feel old if you can count console generations... C-64 vs ...Atari?, Amiga vs Atari ST, NES vs MS, Genesis vs SNES, PSOne/N64,/Saturn, Xbox/PS2/GCN/Wii, PS3/Xbox360/WiiU, Xbox One/PS4, Xbox One X/PS4 Pro, ... and now XSX/PS5... each of them was more than 3-5 years five of take *spends the next few minutes staring into his healthy full of fibre cereals bowl in silence*...

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
'
Eh, that's still a bit steep for what it's offering. $19.99, and I probably would have given it a spin.

Hopefully it will go down a bit in some sale, but indies are quite underpriced if you think about the risk they take and not having all those hidden micro transactions of a FIFA that have a TCO way higher on average than £60.

The Final Word
Despite a hugely flawed single-player campaign and some control issues, Trailmakers succeeds commendably with the Lego-style vehicle building and online template sharing. Get stuck into the Rally mode and enjoy modding your vehicles to win races, then compete online in the sandbox modes and you'll have lots of fun.

Top Bottom