• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Physics Based Web Swinging is back in Spiderman 2

Hard disagree there. The arkham gliding is absolutely sick and feels incredibly weighty when smashing into people or through glass windows. Spiderman can essentially fly like superman through "wind tunnels" or whatever the hell they are.
I didnt say it was bad, just that the Web gliding in Spiderman is more satisfying, but they are defintely taking the wind out of the sails for the next Batman or Superman game. Going to be hard to look as good and run as fast without it taking adavantge of the PS5 SSD and IO through put. You cant really do that if its a multiplatform game.

Last edited:

Reckheim

man, that looks awesome, I'll probably play that way. Less boring and more nuance to the swinging. Can't wait.

I love how you can loose momentum if you don't do it properly.

MAX PAYMENT

I didnt say it was bad, just that the Web gliding in Spiderman is more satisfying, but they are defintely taking the wind out of the sails for the next Batman or Superman game. Going to be hard to look as good and run as fast without it taking adavantge of the PS5 SSD and IO through put. You cant really do that if its a multiplatform game.
I think whatever the next superman or batman game comes next, they'll be fine against this game. Competition is good.

Ah yeah I feel you with this. I still have the physical version of SM1 (and the limited edition PS4 Pro :messenger_beaming: ) and I think Peter was a lot better with his old face. It grounded him more than the "hey look, I'm the poor man's Tom Holland" resemblance.
Yep, he also looked older. No one will convince me otherwise that they changed his face for any other reason than to attract casual Marvel movie watchers.

Although fall damage doesn't really make that much sense. Spider-Man can shrug off getting hit by a speeding train. Falling a hundred meters should do very little, especially with his reflexes.
Spider-Man taking fall damage is stupid as hell.
Spider-Man has fall damage? That is a really strange decision IMO, lmao.
Lol fall damage? That's idiotic
spider-man2-im-back.gif

spiderman-fall.gif

my-back-spiderman-spider-man.gif

makaveli60

It’s insane to me that people are bitching about OPTIONS. It’s really that hard for you not to use things that you have the option to not use if you don’t like? Are you really need to be fenced like sheep otherwise you cannot enjoy something? Like I don’t like “listen mode” in TLOU and fortunately the game never forces me to use it (besides showing it once) so I just don‘t use it and I’m at total peace. I really don’t get it.

This is an option many wanted for years and the reason why some would still play some very old Spider-man games.

Insomniac were so smart to include that in their game; it makes that Spider-man the definitive Spider-man experience, not only having the best graphics and some very good combat, it has also the best swinging.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Its an improvement but when i think of physics based SM2(2004) swinging I think of realistic inertia like speeding up to terminal velocity in realistic way while falling and when shooting out web not having that micro pause that kills your downward momentum but instead redirects it forward with ghe same energy you just built decending. I can still see the "contrived" momentum and pause they added. Still Good News.

Last edited:
He looks 16 on a good day.
They just need to add some wrinkles or stubble. The important part of this(that the face complainers forgot about) is that the new Parker face is based on the voice actor, Yuri Lowenthal, because it makes it easier for development and mo-cap for Peter to have a face similar to the actor that is playing him...and Yuri has a bit of a baby face.

Yuri_Lowenthal.jpg

yuri-lowenthal-is-only-allowed-one-haircut-v0-uesz0fqh7cdb1.jpg

Smoke from MK 1 looks a bit more weathered compared to Peter and Netherrealm did a good job in regards to his face.

maxresdefault.jpg

unmasked-smoke-v0-64c3z5ve67hb1.png

Considering the fact that he's based on Yuri's facial features too.

GymWolf

They just need to add some wrinkles or stubble. The important part of this(that the face complainers forgot about) is that the new Parker face is based on the voice actor, Yuri Lowenthal, because it makes it easier for development and mo-cap for Peter to have a face similar to the actor that is playing him...and Yuri has a bit of a baby face.

Yuri_Lowenthal.jpg

Smoke from MK 1 looks a bit more weathered compared to Peter and Netherrealm did a good job in regards to his face.

maxresdefault.jpg

Yuri_Lowenthal.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

I think they made him so baby faced to also look more similar to the marvel actor, not adding wrinkles and shit is not a random mistake but on purpose.

I think the previous face was better for yuri type of voice tbh, it's not like looking more like yuri added a noticeable improvement to digital acting.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

Reason and logic! Thank you!

I think they made him so baby faced to also look more similar to the marvel actor, not adding wrinkles and shit is not a random mistake but on purpose.

I think the previous face was better for yuri type of voice tbh, it's not like looking more like yuri added a noticeable improvement to digital acting.
That first sentence could most likely be true, but I'd argue that every Peter Parker live action actor has looked young in their late 20s and 30s. Andrew Garfield just turned 40 but you wouldn't know from that last movie, because it looked like he was pulled directly out of the end of Amazing SM 2. Maybe they're continuing the trend of Peter simply looking young/aging well in the games.

I get why Spiderman 1 PS4 defenders are still upset about it, but in defense of the face change though(at least for part 2), streamlining that process of picking up the more subtle expressions and facial folds that Yuri might give while performing probably helped them a ton.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
That first sentence could most likely be true, but I'd argue that every Peter Parker live action actor has looked young in their late 20s and 30s. Andrew Garfield just turned 40 but you wouldn't know from that last movie, because it looked like he was pulled directly out of the end of Amazing SM 2. Maybe they're continuing the trend of Peter simply looking young/aging well in the games.

I get why Spiderman 1 PS4 defenders are still upset about it, but in defense of the face change though(at least for part 2), streamlining that process of picking up the more subtle expressions and facial folds that Yuri might give while performing probably helped them a ton.
It did. His face animates better than the original face did. That's immediately apparent in the Remaster.

It did. His face animates better than the original face did. That's immediately apparent in the Remaster.
I can't fully claim this to be true. I can claim that his face animates way better in Miles Morales and in SM 2, but in 1 there have been comparison videos that show the PS4 face did a better job of expressing certain emotions in SM 1. This might be because they had to hand animate some of those micro expressions due to Peter having a different facial structure, but I'd need to learn more about it before saying anything definitive.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I can't fully claim this to be true. I can claim that his face animates way better in Miles Morales and in SM 2, but in 1 there have been comparison videos that show the PS4 face did a better job of expressing certain emotions in SM 1. This might be because they had to hand animate some of those micro expressions due to Peter having a different facial structure, but I'd need to learn more about it before saying anything definitive.
He had more stretches and his expressions were less stiff in the new model. At least, that's what I observed. He also looked more realistic than the PS4 game.

Top Bottom