• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 2 and Next-gen Gameplay

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProtoByte

With the Spider-Man 2 previews are out, I'm comfortable saying I'm somewhat disappointed - for a few reasons, but as per the title, let's keep it to gameplay.

Free flow combat was nice and all for Batman in 2009, but I don't even think it takes what that character can do to its full potential. It definitely doesn't take Spider-Man to his full potential in 2023. It never does optimally with non-humanoid enemies and usually requires pretty bitch made NPCs that aren't very fast, agile or strong. Enemy variety is inherently restricted to "how can this guy cheapen most attacks/methods and be vulnerable to exactly one? Okay, maybe two?"

There's also that these games have kept traversal and combat almost completely seperate systems that kinda turns off whenever you engage in the other. Yes, I remember the Vulture and Electro dual fight. The fact that the game literally forces you back into the air in physics-breaking manner indicates the issue here. It wasn't as good or systemically seamless as the Vulture fight in Web of Shadows. Aerial combat is a viable option in Insomniac's games, but it's more a way to isolate grounded foes as opposed to another field of combat entirely ala WoS. I'm not saying WoS was perfect, but also, where the hell is my wall combat?

That's the funny thing. I say "next gen" when a lot of this stuff has actually been achieved before 2 gens back. I think the bottlenecked CPUs last gen really had a bad effect on game design.

Larger scale destruction that has both visual and gameplay effects is something a Spider-Man game should eventually have, and it's not here in SM2. Related to physics, it appears they've kept hood of the same system - which was somewhat physics based, but I think the animation systems win out when it comes to how it plays. Momentum is not evenly conserved for a good number of traversal combinations. They've talked about vertical loops and corner turns, but the way they have suggests that the fundamentals of favoring animation are still present. I'm not nostalgic about 2004 Spider-Man 2, but I do think a more physics based web swinging system with more non-canned animation options (again, see WoS) is ideal here. I would've thought they'd have looked at TLOU2's contextual animations systems and begged Naughty Dog for the rundown on that, incorporating it into both combat and traversal. Spider-Man is a gold mine for that.

Finally comes world and level design. Pretty stagnant on this front. Here's the thing; yes, there's a lot more traffic and crowd density. Does it mean anything to the gameplay? Can I interact with crowds in any way? Will cars be something I can use or the enemies can use against me? No. I fully expect entire streets to be depopulated when encounters start as they did in the first game and Miles Morales. Which is a really missed opportunity. If you're not too interested in making player characters vulnerable, the least you could do is make civilian NPCs vulnerable, and allow us to save them. How about stealth? It looks just as bland as last time.

I really hope they get a clue that this isn't going to fly for the 3rd game, and bigger yet, actually make Wolverine something "new" and exciting. Maybe the M-rating let's them stretch a little bit.

Pelta88

Your post history on Spider-Man speaks volumes. You've been disappointed in the ip for quite some time now. And I don't think a thread, specifically for your personal disappointment, is necessary.

steve-harvey-im-just-saying.gif

Last edited:

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Your post history on Spider-Man speaks volumes. You've been disappointed in the ip for quite some time now. And I don't think a thread, specifically for your personal disappointment, is necessary.

As negative as you have been about the game in other threads, I'm not sure you are the person to have this discussion with. Plus, this could have been posted in any of the other Spider-Man threads that you have already participated in.
Aaaaand Thread. We can go ahead and wrap this one up now.

Can people just enjoy a good game that doesn't reinvent the wheel?

Sometimes those games are the most enjoyable because they don't come with all sorts of baggage that can break up the pacing or not jive with certain people's interest. There is no such thing as "next gen gameplay" other than maybe VR at this point. The dual analog stick convention is ancient. Improvements in the future may come from physics/AI, but game structure with a controller is pretty established.

Seems like ridiculous expectations rather than not pushing things forward.
I agree at this point it is quite ridiculous to expect big franchises to evolve their game design. And that’s quite sad, imo.

We’ve seen it with Horizon, God of War and now Spider-Man: they ‘just’ expand their content without looking too much to innovate. It’s the same game, but just more of it and bigger.

And I can’t blame them, it’s big money we’re talking about, so they’re obviously not taking any risks. But I agree with OP that it is disappointing.

bender

What time is it?
The combat system that Arkham Asylum popularized and that Insomniac's Spider-Man games borrow from is very friendly to a wide audience and Sony/Marvel/Insomniac want to cast a very wide net with these titles. It's also why we will probably never see the web swinging system from Spider-Man 2 again. While it was great, Insomniac's system is much easier for anyone to grasp, be fluid with and be cool/have fun in the process. And it isn't like these combat systems are bad, especially when you consider the struggles a lot of western developers have with character action. Hell, just look at previous Spider-Man games for comparisons sake.

Unknown?

I agree at this point it is quite ridiculous to expect big franchises to evolve their game design. And that’s quite sad, imo.

We’ve seen it with Horizon, God of War and now Spider-Man: they ‘just’ expand their content without looking too much to innovate. It’s the same game, but just more of it and bigger.

And I can’t blame them, it’s big money we’re talking about, so they’re obviously not taking any risks. But I agree with OP that it is disappointing.
Nope, not what I said. They've shown a lot of differences so far. His expectations are change for the sake of change and some arbitrarily unrealistic idea of "next gen."

Sony franchises are the only ones that get this criticism though, so par for course. I saw some people complaining it was the same city, like they don't Spider-Man at all.

Last edited:
I ain't reading this wall of text, OP.

Tired Britney Spears GIF
Yes, so interesting..... Just a thread for anybody who doesnt like Spiderman from Insomiac to gather around and circle jerk about how Batman at 30fps is a better game and Spiderman copied everything. You dont like the game, we get it, but you could have posted that in the other Spiderman threads like everyboody else.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
That's the funny thing. I say "next gen" when a lot of this stuff has actually been achieved before 2 gens back. I think the bottlenecked CPUs last gen really had a bad effect on game design.
And yet its no longer a bottleneck and yet we are still stuck in the past. At the end of day, we have to stop blaming the CPUs, the publishers, the phil spencers and simply blame the developers for not being ambitious enough, for being too complacent, for simply doing the bare minimum.

One of my favorite games of the PS3 era was infamous. Completely physics driven. Awful graphics but i had more fun with that game than any of insomniac's games. Pedestrians, cars, street lamps, everything was impacted by your powers. Even the sequel which improved graphics twofold added more physics based powers like the tornadoes which did hilarious things to NPCs. Some developers are just better than others. Expecting insomniac to reinvent the wheel is unfortunately asking too much.

One can only hope Rockstar brings back the systems driven NPC encounters. I hear Ass Creed is doing full scale destruction in the next game. So there is hope. Insomniac is great at telling stories and summer blockbuster style games, and I guess they feel content at where they currently are instead of taking themselves to the next level and hanging out with the NDs, SSMs, and Rockstar of the industry.

Ozzie666

Some games aren't for everyone, OP maybe this isn't your type of game or your not a fan of Spider-man. Maybe you prefer Batman? That city draw distance and clarity are impressive. Think about how far the city interactions and sand box activites have improved since something like Second Son. I expect a decent incrimentive leap over the previoud 2 games.

PS4 pro and Spider-man 1.5 really did a number on peopes expextations for this generation.

Trunx81

I see where you are heading, OP, and in parts I agree with you. Was watching some clips today and when the screen said “Press 0 to avoid the cars”, I just thought “Oh great, never’ve seen THAT gameplay mechanic before”.

I loved the first Spider-Man, though, as well as SM2 on the GameCube for its physics based web slinging. It made me feel like a superhero. So what the game SHOULD provide.

Having a vulnerable crowd also causes a lot of additional problems. Too many get killed and game over? Had that in other games and I hated it. The idea of civilians running away scared sure is a nice idea, though, for more realism.

Nope, not what I said. They've shown a lot of differences so far. His expectations are change for the sake of change and some arbitrarily unrealistic idea of "next gen."

Sony franchises are the only ones that get this criticism though, so par for course. I saw some people complaining it was the same city, like they don't Spider-Man at all.
That’s because Sony franchises were pretty fresh and innovative in the PS4 era and are now living in ‘sequel-city’.
Partly due to their success of course.

And what is so different about SM2 compared to 1 in gameplay sense? Because the only thing I could find is switching between 2 Spider-Men..

Batiman

Banned
As negative as you have been about the game in other threads, I'm not sure you are the person to have this discussion with. Plus, this could have been posted in any of the other Spider-Man threads that you have already participated in.
Tbh you could say the same about a lot of threads created here. It’s bullshit but it’s the way it is

Unknown?

That’s because Sony franchises were pretty fresh and innovative in the PS4 era and are now living in ‘sequel-city’.

And what is so different about SM2 compared to 1 in gameplay sense? Because the only thing I could find is switching between 2 Spider-Men..
There's a lot of new things. And I don't count two games in a series being sequel city. You have a point with Ratchet and Gran Turismo though. Where are the Nintendo threads about sequel city?

PS4 era had a ton of sequels too.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

There is nothing wrong with sequel city especially since second sequels used to be some of the best games of all time. Uncharted 2, Ass Creed 2, Batman Arkham City, mass Effect 2, etc. Hell, even TLOU2 is a huge massive improvement over the first in terms of game design, combat and visuals. a true generational leap. Zelda ToTK took a year long, was on the same generation of hardware, and used the same map like spiderman, but it feels a completely different game thanks to its new additions and physics based gameplay.

Spiderman 1 was a great game but it had a lot of room for improvement. A lot of things OP listed are things that shouldve been added in a game that took 5 years of dev time and was using brand new console with amazing technology. Horizon was the same way. Ragnorak too. I think somethings have changed over at Sony recently. They are content with more of the same and are lacking that killer instinct that made them so successful in the PS3 and PS4 era winning goty practically every other year. Most of them sequels.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I don't even like this series and acknowledge the opposite of your view. Thank you for your concern as it matters a lot to you.

We're proud and happy you're living your best life. Kevin Garnet said it himself, anything is possible.

Last edited:
Can people just enjoy a good game that doesn't reinvent the wheel?

Sometimes those games are the most enjoyable because they don't come with all sorts of baggage that can break up the pacing or not jive with certain people's interest. There is no such thing as "next gen gameplay" other than maybe VR at this point. The dual analog stick convention is ancient. Improvements in the future may come from physics/AI, but game structure with a controller is pretty established.
It’s crazy they’re against fun games lol

CamHostage

I don’t know what exactly is a next gen feature? Like please point it out to me specifically so I can tell when a game is next gen or not.

The answer to the question of "what exactly is a next gen feature?" is somewhere in the 211 pages of the Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen thread, and the answer three years later is that there is no answer, except for Unreal Engine 5 features because it's the only thing not made by lazy developers, except it also sucks.

Last edited:

Hoddi

And yet its no longer a bottleneck and yet we are still stuck in the past. At the end of day, we have to stop blaming the CPUs, the publishers, the phil spencers and simply blame the developers for not being ambitious enough, for being too complacent, for simply doing the bare minimum.
I often see people say they want new gameplay mechanics from next-gen consoles but it almost never follows what those mechanics should be. I think the much bigger issue is that modern game controllers have a set amount of buttons which limits gameplay far more than any faster CPU can fix. Nevermind a GPU.

The Wii U already had a great solution with its touchscreen but it went almost completely unused. Not as an additional screen but for additional controls.

sigmaZ

I mean honestly what do you expect? A. It's Insomniac and they are very committed to what they do best. and B. There's not very much else they could do with the game outside of quality of life improvements maybe. At this point, perhaps you should just look to another series. Maybe Wolverine will be what you are looking for?

OP I think we should also acknowledge what they are doing well.

Fast travel system. The most impressive thing I have seen in a while. They must've mapped entire city exactly on the map, them added transition models/ animations to make something like that.

Issue is, must've taken hell lot of time to get it right. Will you really have time to implement brand new mechanics if you are making this kind of stuff.

It was same with Ratchet: RA as well. We had very impressive portal mechanic, never seen before. It was front and centre in their marketing, must have taken huge effort to implement. Rest of the game was safe.

Ultimately it depends on you how much you value this stuff. Is it just a novelty or something truly game changing for you, only you can decide.

ProtoByte

So, here you're just fucking lying. I've expressed zero disappointment in either Miles Morales or Spider-Man 1, and I've even defended Spider-Man 2 on the basis of its graphics. This is a gaming forum, and I've given my opinion about advancements in gameplay or the lack thereof. How many times do I have to post that the game is going to be good?

I'm even on record talking about people often expecting too much from sequels. You didn't see me calling GoW DLC or an expansion - you didn't see me calling Spider-Man 2 DLC or an expansion.

This type of post is really lazy. Actually address the points instead of making veiled anti-fanboy insinuations.

ProtoByte

There's not very much else they could do with the game outside of quality of life improvements maybe.

I often see people say they want new gameplay mechanics from next-gen consoles but it almost never follows what those mechanics should be.
Jesus fucking Christ. Read. The. O. P. Fuck.

I'll add in some more: Using webs to do more stuff to the environment, e.g. in game car/truck riding and trapping instead of QTEs. Making interiors more common and easily accessible from the open world. Have enemies follow and chase Spider-Man throughout the city instead of staying situated in one small zone and refusing to move outside it.

zeldaring

Banned

Jesus fucking Christ. Read. The. O. P. Fuck.

I'll add in some more: Using webs to do more stuff to the environment, e.g. in game car/truck riding and trapping instead of QTEs. Making interiors more common and easily accessible from the open world. Have enemies follow and chase Spider-Man throughout the city instead of staying situated in one small zone and refusing to move outside it.

spider man 2 looks much better then that gameplay wise.

Mod edit: this doesn't really need a new thread, this can be discussed in the current preview thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom