• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I half assed tried to recreate a similar shot in Spider-Man Remastered on PC.. it's clear there's material and lighting upgrades and that the city density is improved.

F6EzdMWbsAAHsZp

spidey.jpg

The lighting and ambient occlusion definitely make things look more grounded in the sequel for sure.
thats actually a surprisingly accurate comparison. well done. lol

now you must do it again when the game actually comes out and see if you can replicate the insomniac bullshot ingame. bookmarking this post.

alloush

Didnt see any bans myself, but saw this poor bastard get crucified for saying the most obvious thing and left him a pity like lmao

vECwMxR.jpg
This is the thread, the guy is hella pissed lol we should invite him over so he can freely express his opinion without getting crucified, lol.

A alloush Character models stand out way more in Spiderman 2 than buildings do, they're as last gen as they come. We've had cross gen games that have character models looking a whole generation ahead of plastic mannequins in Spiderman 2.
EXACTLY. The buildings to me are the worst part of the game and the biggest immersion killer. They need and can do better.

Last edited:

HighPoly

Banned
this switch vs comparison is cracking me up.

EOaSpCR.jpg

qk5Nemx.gif
and we need to consider that Switch problem is not only textures, but geometry in general, so the game is running with less polygons...
This is pretty sad...
but my doubt is, if NINTENDO will release a next gen patch update for Switch 2, or will sell a full price next gen MK1 for Switch 2
:messenger_sad_relieved:

GymWolf

If the final pc version looks like this than obv. yes.
PPD4oc4NeGXRedi7y3THd7.jpg

1691670274-lords_of_the_fallen_lowercity_coop_cc.jpg

The-Lords-of-the-Fallen_2023_01-31-23_004.jpg
umm...i see more colors...i don't see better textures or character and considering how these pics are framed, they look more bullshots than my tinder sexy pics...

I think SlimySnake SlimySnake has some good DS pics for a comparison.

Edit: i'm watching some demons pics on reee and you know what, i remember the game better than how it actually looks :lollipop_squinting:

demonssouls_2020111309bkfc.png

Well another sony team that get surpassed by an AA studio at best...

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Boy this DS remake comparison was a rollercoaster, let me tell ya, i experienced all the 7 stages of disappointment in 90 seconds...
lmao

I have brought this up before but DS's white halo completely kills the visuals. So in that sense you have to cherry pick footage from youtube and that can be rough because almost everyone plays this game in undead mode because there is no humanity items to turn you back into Human form after dying.

I think Nanite might give Lord of the Fallen an edge in textures and asset quality, but DS will look better overall due to art direction.

We will see soon enough.

And as requested:

dOgqVEN.gif

138af1f16050850d8d2f6961a72a4a694cc406b8.gif

WIX87GU.gif

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
lmao

I have brought this up before but DS's white halo completely kills the visuals. So in that sense you have to cherry pick footage from youtube and that can be rough because almost everyone plays this game in undead mode because there is no humanity items to turn you back into Human form after dying.

I think Nanite might give Lord of the Fallen an edge in textures and asset quality, but DS will look better overall due to art direction.

We will see soon enough.

And as requested:

dOgqVEN.gif

138af1f16050850d8d2f6961a72a4a694cc406b8.gif

WIX87GU.gif
This game (and uncharted 4) are the biggest proof that RT is kind a waste.
The lighting in this is incredible at times. You character emits constant light and when you go close up to the wall, individual bricks cast shadow. it looks so good

SlimySnake

The lighting in this is incredible at times. You character emits constant light and when you go close up to the wall, individual bricks cast shadow. it looks so good
Agreed, but you dont need RT to do realtime GI. IIRC, they have some kind of realtime GI system in place for demon souls. might not be full realtime GI like say starfield or forza which have to do realtime time of day cycles, but i definitely heard them say they were using realtime GI probes in an interview.

you can notice it if you are a magic build and use soul arrows inside the caves in world 2-1. completely illuminates the dark areas in ways you dont see in other last gen games.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Non dynamic games with baked lighting where the RT lighting is baked in are not proof that RT is a waste.

PeteBull

Another thing guys, if we compare trailers/cgi/cutstens or bullshot pics, whatever comes out superior-that doesnt matter the game/actual gameplay will be superiorior- its just bullshot/cgi skills of the devs after all, hell, might be even different team doing it like back then with first trailer of anthem that was 100% bullshot, that famous "one more thing, presented by phil on xbox e3 conference in 2017 :)

I hope every1 here is for legit comparing of gameplay, 0 point to compare cutscenes/cgi/bullshots.

Its fair comparing bullshot trailers/pics to actual gameplay of same game to call out devs doing that nasty thing, but if u compare cutscenes/cgi/bullshot pics/trailers of one game to actual gameplay of other game- its obvious the real gameplay will come up short, and by a lot- we all can recognise fakes pretty well here by now, so just keep in mind, u arent pr team of the game who is making a living on deceiving casuals into believing ur team's game looks like the bullshots =D

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
This, right here, looks fantastic.

The speed of movement. The amount of car traffic, both fantastic. There was some pretty good shit especially near the end of the trailer. And a few snippets of night.

Its definitely been polished up since the last abysmal showing.
Last showing was far from abysmal. It's just that this one is considerably better and that's generally how it goes with Insomniac's games. The closer to release, the better it looks.

SlimySnake

Ignoring the fact that this is an insomniac bullshot, thats an inaccurate comparison. insomniacs promo shot is from central park. the other scene is from a different park on the other side of the Empire State Building.

Regardless, if this bullshot graphics are actually what we end up getting in the final game then i would be very impressed. the lighting is obviously way better, but the buildings look great too with RT reflections really really adding a lot to the image compared to some very flat looking buildings in the first spiderman game.

F6KDPfqWcAAIc5Q

here is what it looks like. we can bookmark this post and get back to this when the game releases and we can do a non-bullshot comparison.

From Spiderman Midday
F6MSdL6WYAAuXCM

Spiderman dusk time
F6MSd8hX0AAmWEo

Spiderman miles
F6MSdk_XQAAXPMb

Here is a comparison of the screenshot in the tweet. Im too lazy to go back there and take a midday shot but you can see just how good it looks in dusk time in the same game.

F6KDPfmXUAAiGMx

F6MSeRWXUAAEot-

Ignoring the fact that this is an insomniac bullshot, thats an inaccurate comparison. insomniacs promo shot is from central park. the other scene is from a different park on the other side of the Empire State Building.

Regardless, if this bullshot graphics are actually what we end up getting in the final game then i would be very impressed. the lighting is obviously way better, but the buildings look great too with RT reflections really really adding a lot to the image compared to some very flat looking buildings in the first spiderman game.

I tried to make a bit more accurate of a comparison shot. Got pretty close in placement but can't quite match the angle/zoom of the camera they are using.

F6KDPfqWcAAIc5Q

20230916230021-1.jpg

Different season, different lighting, different angle lol.. but it's still pretty obvious the new game is improved. It's certainly more pleasing to the eyes. The original game can look pretty dull under certain lighting conditions. The new game has better lighting and looks more vibrant by default.

CGNoire

Id like to see how cyberpunk dlc handles the day time lighting. Its another cross Gen game but using rtgi on PC and prebaked lighting on consoles like Spider-Man. I hope they let you fly some cars in the dlc just so we can see what it looks like from above.

The engine already handles night time lighting way better than Spider-Man but it will be interesting to make some mid day comparisons.
My hopes for CP2077 have been dashed a little lately with what I saw in there most recent update stream.

The whole stream was suppossed to be in OD mode but @37min you can see that the police weapons produce no light and neither does there VTOL carrier. What gives?

I thought OD mode included dynamic lights for everything?
The fact they had no issue showing it like this raised some serious red flags again.

Last edited:
I think the issue with discourse around games like Spidey is that yes, generally the game is very impressive but there are some elements that when subpar stick out like a sore thumb relative to all those other high quality elements. Folks will come to defend it because it's mostly good and use that as an argument to try and nullify those more specific criticisms; as if there's any logic to that approach.

It's like having a nice big roast dinner and saying I loved everything on the plate except the carrots and then someone comes along to say, "well the rest of the dinner was great, therefore the carrots are great and your criticism of them is irrelevant". Which makes no sense of course.

There's also the generation argument. Most people criticising elements of the game are doing so from the perspective of this being exclusive to new hardware versus previous games being last/cross-gen, therefore expectations will be higher, and rightfully so. While most people praising it are coming from the perspective that it's very good looking in general and at least somewhat of an improvement over previous games; therefore any criticisms are mute.

I can concede that the game looks very good in general, that it is impressive overall. I can concede that it looks better than previous games in almost all parts. I can concede there are functional parts of the game that wouldn't be possible on previous generations. I can concede that this presentation is much better than the first one and has won me back over enough to likely pick it up.

What I can't concede is that there aren't some glaring flaws in the visuals that undermine the better elements. Elements that are surprising given the full move to the current gen only and the technical prowess of the team/s working on it and the budgets involved; and that being a current gen only title it's not quite blowing me away to the degree I'd hoped.

Whereas -- for the most part -- those staunchly praising it tend not to concede anything, the game looks good therefore it must not be criticised and that is that.

There are some really poor textures and some rudimentary geometry edges that can really rob the image. There is sometimes a lack of cohesion between assets that just looks, "off"... Some of the buildings especially, can look quite awful. I think they're just re-using higher LOD or touched up versions of many of the environmental assets from the first game/s; and have focused their time and effort on hero assets; and on the surrounding systems such as lighting etc. I hope that Spidey 3 onwards sees some new higher quality assets for these parts of the game/s.

Just take this shot from the new showcase for eg. plenty of nice stuff going on the shot itself and some good stuff proceeding it. Then you get that awfully flat, dull texture. Spidey isn't making any contact with the surface. And, once again the edge of the building is tack sharp and straight with no roughness, no embellishments. Just a plain straight line. These small things massively undermine the impact and believability of the overall image.

spideytexture.png

You see a similar thing with curbs and where buildings meet, perfect straight lines intersecting with no shading or shadowing. It makes things look rudimentary and robs the image of depth.

Hard edges rarely look good.

Excellent assessment of the entire situation right here!

The framerate warriors have absolutely fucked us all with their fucking 60fps bullshit.

Now performance modes will have ray tracing, meaning devs will push actual visual fidelity as little as possible.

My hype for Wolverine went straight into the gutter. It’ll look no better than spiderman 2.
But wolverine probably won't be a fast action open world game! So , yeah it will probably look way better then Spider-Man 2

SlimySnake

I tried to make a bit more accurate of a comparison shot. Got pretty close in placement but can't quite match the angle/zoom of the camera they are using.

F6KDPfqWcAAIc5Q

20230916230021-1.jpg

Different season, different lighting, different angle lol.. but it's still pretty obvious the new game is improved. It's certainly more pleasing to the eyes. The original game can look pretty dull under certain lighting conditions. The new game has better lighting and looks more vibrant by default.
Thats actually very close. Your screenshot game is very strong. what the hell lol

Obviously the lighting is better with far better bounce lighting, but I really like how the RT reflections are much more pronounced this time around. I was watching some other footage from an IGN interview, and it doesnt always pop like this in other time of day, so I would like it see more footage from this time of day.

I did find this bit from the trailer that shows the oscorp building. seems spiderman is swinging on the other side of central park here. The gameplay footage doesnt look as good as the screenshot from insomniac but the lighting is definitely better than the first game.

nrwFGZc.gif

Honestly, if they can get those reflections and lighting looking like the bullshot in the PC version, I would be very pleased. The bullshot reminds me of the CG intro from spiderman that a similar color pallete but stunning reflections on buildings that i was hoping to see this gen.

sT6TTG0.gif

alloush

F6KDPfqWcAAIc5Q

20230916230021-1.jpg

But you said it, it is different season. You cited better lighting and more vibrancy as the reasons the new game looks better but this is all due to the season the first game was set in. You can’t say different seasons but then say the new game looks better due to things related to the season the games were set in.

It looks dull cuz it takes place in the fall, the new one looks vibrant cuz it is sunny, probably taking place in Spring or Summer hence the vibrancy and shininess. For me they look near identical.

Last edited:

Lethal01

and we need to consider that Switch problem is not only textures, but geometry in general, so the game is running with less polygons...
This is pretty sad...
but my doubt is, if NINTENDO will release a next gen patch update for Switch 2, or will sell a full price next gen MK1 for Switch 2
:messenger_sad_relieved:
NIntendo? you mean nether realm

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Visually Alan Wake 2 ————> everything else by a country mile this year.
Dont forget Burning Shores and Space Marine 2. Along with Alan Wake 2 I think these are easily the top 3.
This. Everyone all excited about this is disheartening. The fact that it can run at 60 with these bells and whistles and is open world tells us the base assets, geometry, and lighting models aren’t even beginning to push the ps5 at all. That graphically it’s a joke. A cross Gen game

Reminds me of the celebration that Ragnarok would run at 80+fps on ps5 and the game is literally just the goddamn 2018 game with lighting quality maybe set from low/medium to high
Been screaming this from the hill tops for years. Anyone celebrating 60fps in this thread is not a fan of graphical fidelity.
The 2nd and 3rd shots are insane.

God I wish we could achieve that kind of visual fidelity in this gen...
We can, at 30fps. Performance modes are holding games back.

Developers are focusing less on fidelity and more on overall performance.

But gamers on forums, media outlets like IGN, and noobs on Twitter keep acting like cheerleaders for these devs and praise every last gen looking game running at 60fps.

But wolverine probably won't be a fast action open world game! So , yeah it will probably look way better then Spider-Man 2
Lets hope. Knowing Insomniac that just means they'll have fideliy mode run at 60fps and performance mode at 120. lmao

Last edited:

Alex11

Thats actually very close. Your screenshot game is very strong. what the hell lol

Obviously the lighting is better with far better bounce lighting, but I really like how the RT reflections are much more pronounced this time around. I was watching some other footage from an IGN interview, and it doesnt always pop like this in other time of day, so I would like it see more footage from this time of day.
Yeah it is a bit better, but it's nothing major, I've said that I actually like the buildings, especially the ones at the very right side of the image, those look really good. But again, I've noticed it before, the foliage, it's just wrong imo, something about the color and shadows or whatever, don't like it one bit.

Also, that CA, is just vomit inducing, horrible, can't understand who actually likes that.

SlimySnake

Edit: Fake apparently. lmao. Very good work by modders adding that fast traversal though.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
New footage of Spiderman and Miles teaming up here. more swinging around the map and yeah, no bullshot upgrade here. this is 1:1 like the PS4 game with faster traversal speed.

This is cool though.

qyN8UUz.gif

Last edited:

PeteBull

New footage of Spiderman and Miles teaming up here. more swinging around the map and yeah, no bullshot upgrade here. this is 1:1 like the PS4 game with faster traversal speed.

This is cool though.

qyN8UUz.gif

here ps4 spiderman gameplay, not bullshot trailers/pics just plain simple gamplay not from pc or ps4pro, but base ps4, difference can be spotted imediately, just its not humoungous coz most of the oomph of ps5 went into rt and higher res.

Hoping ps5pr0 is at least 2x stronger coz we wont get high graphical fidelity from xsx/ps5 expected from a next gen on those weak mashines, any bump in res or fps or added rt and we are left with barely anything for bells and whistless, especially if u count in dimnishing returns.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

The middle one? It looks less game-y and the image on the left definitely seems PS4 like,the right image lighting is too neutral to tell.
Nope.

Lol. You got me here. Clever clever slimy.

I’d challenge someone to say with confidence which is which. Now post Elena from ps3 uncharted to ps4 uncharted and see who can’t name which is which
Yeah, i instantly though of Joel and Ellie in TLOU1 vs TLOU2. Elena from Uncharted 3 to Uncharted 4.

But then i remembered that ND actually kept upgrading Elena through out the generation.

4pzEl4j.jpg

Top Bottom