• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Mask cringe dude in death stranding, chief of the flw in tlou2, the black dude you interrogate in detroit but i think there is another black dude in that game, not sure.

Morales on ps5 only should demolish these models but at best has slightly better hair tech.

Cmon buddy, a throw away character with one line of dialogue in hfw looks as realistic if not better than morales, you don't wanna start a screenshot war, insomniac realistic character rendering is not their strong suit, especially for non-main protagonist characters, they always look a bit off and they are inbetween realistic and slightly cartoony, even more so than ND with uncharted.

(ratchet was good but was full pixar style)

Man y'all love to exaggerate in this thread! Show me any black character on PS4 that looks better than Miles does in that picture and I'll gift you Gold.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I mean sure if you compare it to the pc version set to low at 720p than yeah it looks much much better lol

This is the video btw, just look at the iq and how the graphics are turned down. He wants to make the difference look bigger than it is.

Bro why are you lying on me like that!??? I didn't change anything they both are from the same video source running concurrently side by side. How could I change one without the other???

GymWolf

ChiefDada ChiefDada i just edited my post with some screens.

Good luck demonstrating that those don't look as good as morales (because this is what i said, as good, not better, athough i would argue that they all look more grounded and realistic)

And none of those are main protagonist of a ps5 game, at best they are secondary to tertiary characters.

I didn't wanted to post the throw away chara from fw to not push the dagger even deeper (also hard to find a face zoom of this dude :lollipop_grinning_sweat: )

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It didnt have rt nor higher res on ps4, spiderman2 is next gen, just its not super impressive, same like many next gen only games we got already.

U want next gen fidelity, which means 30fps, no rt and 1080p or some 796p upresed by fsr2, since only this will make sure enough of power in those consoles is left for generational jump in visuals, fast traversal in spiderman2 automatically makes it impossible to look trully "next gen", what would have potential to look trully next gen would be something like the order 1886 sequel, black bars to reduce pixel amount, 30fps, corridor shooter, slow pace, basically everything possible to make sure all the oomph in ps5 or xsx is put into bells and whistles.

Btw, many times mentioned by u as an example of amazing looking game- horizon FW is crossgen too, its dlc isnt, and does it really matter?
Forza horizon is crossgen, MS flight Sim cant run on last gen, so is next gen too, even tho it launched back in august 2020 on pc ;)

Cp2077 is crossgen, rdr2 is lastgen, but good looking game is still a looker even tho its crossgen/last gen.

Demons souls ran and looked like shit on ps3, yet with competent devteam its a looker on ps5, and has 4k30 and 1440p60 modes too, just no rt, simply no more oomph was left, ofc no open world, and no fast traversal either, gotta make trade offs, same like with starfield- terrible npcs/ loading screens, and long ones(on consoles) basically all the time ;/

Cant have it all here, current gen consoles are simply too weak, its smallest jump ever in terms of gpu, cpu 3x jump isnt bad, but only coz that shitty jaguar tablet gpu in last gen consoles.
Mask cringe dude in death stranding, chief of the flw in tlou2, the black dude you interrogate in detroit but i think there is another black dude in that game, not sure.

Morales on ps5 only should demolish these models but at best has slightly better hair tech.

Cmon buddy, a throw away character with one line of dialogue in hfw looks as realistic if not better than morales, you don't wanna start a screenshot war, insomniac realistic character rendering is not their strong suit, especially for non-main protagonist characters, they always look a bit off and they are inbetween realistic and slightly cartoony, even more so than ND with uncharted.

Fhdz3OxXkAEYzoH.jpg:large

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f536c674a4d6e4c4b4657737842773d3d2d3539353833333033312e313533633564346461323063646138313336333030383535393139392e676966

42232474062_36b74ff4b5_k.jpg

You can gift my gold to someone who never had it, i can pay for my own gold.
That black guy In Detroit especially in that cutscene blew me away.

alloush

Credit where it’s due I am loving the density of the city, looks hella alive proper NYC.

Fhdz3OxXkAEYzoH.jpg:large

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f536c674a4d6e4c4b4657737842773d3d2d3539353833333033312e313533633564346461323063646138313336333030383535393139392e676966

42232474062_36b74ff4b5_k.jpg

You can gift my gold to someone who never had it, i can pay for my own gold.
Shit the first screenshot is a videogame? Goddaaamn son that looks real!

Id gladly take your gold never had it haaa!

Last edited:

GymWolf

Credit where it’s due I am loving the density of the city, looks hella alive proper NYC.

Gold this motherfucker :messenger_sunglasses:

Oh and btw, the whole "peter is a dick because of the venom suite and miles has to stop him" has strong gilette spot vibes

gillette-black-guy-stops-white-guy-meme.jpg

Let's see if insufferableomnsiac can go even more woke than morales dlc...

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member

Lol don't get it twitsted he failed the mission. The homie Gymwolf should be embarrassed posting that waxy-skin looking, no subsurface scattering ass DS character.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Bro why are you lying on me like that!??? I didn't change anything they both are from the same video source running concurrently side by side. How could I change one without the other???
I didn't say that you changed it, its your source that is doing that. But you are using it as if its portraying the truth.

ChiefDada ChiefDada i just edited my post with some screens.

Good luck demonstrating that those don't look as good as morales (because this is what i said, as good, not better, athough i would argue that they all look more grounded and realistic)

And none of those are main protagonist of a ps5 game, at best they are secondary to tertiary characters.

I didn't wanted to post the throw away chara from fw to not push the dagger even deeper (also hard to find a face zoom of this dude :lollipop_grinning_sweat: )

Also Nadine from UC4 on PS4Pro looked very comparable.

3165181-screen_uncharted_thelostlegacy_08.png

UNCTLL_Screen_PS4_E32017_08_1497329959.jpg

Gears 4
Gears-of-War-4-3.jpg

SlimySnake

I mean sure if you compare it to the pc version set to low at 720p than yeah it looks much much better lol

This is the video btw, just look at the iq and how the graphics are turned down. He wants to make the difference look bigger than it is.

Just look at the footage quality of Spiderman 1
Dp1u7l0.jpg

JTJrllY.jpg

lmao. This belongs in the Disingenuous Discourse thread from yesterday.

SlimySnake

ChiefDada ChiefDada Just a reminder of what the remastered looked like on PS5.

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-Remastered-20230610223624.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-Remastered-20230526195930.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-Remastered-20230526193909.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-Remastered-20230526191612.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-Remastered-20230526195908.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-Remastered-20230603171852.png
Dude. Forget the PS5 version, the game looked like this on PS4.
EJ2tCOPWwAASY8t

DzLE4XQX4AATF9G

DzLE1zjWsAYqir3

DmhwEdWUUAAefle

The difference in PS4 vs PS5 model was very minimal. IIRC, DF found some higher res building textures but thats about it. Most of it was the ray traced reflections and the native 4k resolution in fidelity mode.

What we are seeing here is an even smaller upgrade over Miles and Spiderman Remastered. The RT reflections now apply to water. yay? character models are virtually identical. the world is identical. lighting seems to have gotten a minor boost during day time but night time and dusk looks the same.

this will go down in history as the smallest jump ever for an AAA title from sony first party when going from one gen to another. this is gow ragnorak all over again. only problem is that SSM didnt try to sell this as a next gen only masterpiece.

SlimySnake

No, hardware based stochastic ray-traced reflections and seamless transitions with SM2 level density could not have been done on last gen consoles.

As for Starfield, I seriously suspect PS4 hardware would reject such hideous graphics from being executed on the GPU so technically in a way, it also couldn't run on a last gen console.

OKcpnt9.jpg

ZCHzPhv.jpg
I keep seeing these terrible starfield screens. especially from New Atlantis when my experience is anything but. Especially during these midday lighting scenes. Night time here looks flat, but midday is really great lighting all around. NPCs are ugly but they are designed to be fat and ugly because bethesda is trying to be woke, but other than that, new atlantis and most major cities dont look like the screens ive seen floating around. maybe the xsx version was severely downgraded compared to PC on high.

F6RK0JoXEAAnuV2

F6RK0JqXgAA5XRv

F6RTBK5WYAA6Zh7

F6RTf0QXkAApHBo

F6RTBK8XsAAvCPS

SlimySnake

I discovered why SlimySnake SlimySnake is so salty about Spider Man, he is actually MJ

Nah, its because of this.

JOpNv9U.jpg

And this:

IcYEskg.jpg

4VBsXRP.jpg

its not rocket science guys. It is an underwhelming upgrade from a major first party studio. 5 years in the making. or shouldve been five years in the making if they didnt waste their time on dlc and kiddie games.

Lokaum D+

Nah, its because of this.

JOpNv9U.jpg

And this:

IcYEskg.jpg

4VBsXRP.jpg

its not rocket science guys. It is an underwhelming upgrade from a major first party studio. 5 years in the making. or shouldve been five years in the making if they didnt waste their time on dlc and kiddie games.
Its ok to be salty MJ, we understand

SlimySnake

UNLESS Naughty dog does the 60fps mode
they could do what Square Enix did. Do a 60 fps mode at 720p. Or what respawn did. make one that drops to 600p. thats what I call a Performance Mode with Disdain..... you want 60 fps, here shove it up your ass.

I think the reason why we didnt get 60 fps modes of 30 fps games last gen were those jaguar CPUs. I actually ran destiny 2 on my vram bottlenecked gtx 570 at 60 fps in 720p because i had a somewhat decent 4 core processor that ran at 2.8 ghz. the ps4 could run games at 60 fps but at much lower resolutions like 560p because the gpu had to work overtime because of the weak cpu.

i think 1440p 30 fps games should have no problems running at 960p 60 fps with some settings scaled back as long as they are not pushing these CPUs like starfield does. Avatar seems to be doing it while providing stunning visuals at FSR 4k quality or 1440p 30 fps.

In short, as long as the devs dont target native 4k for their 30 fps mode, we should be fine. if their target is 1440p 30 fps then go nuts with 60 fps modes. couldnt care less.

Lethal01

Looks like you guys have a thing for black guys uh!?
Yes, what of it?

Getting a new ratchet and clank is infinitely better than getting a bit of a graphical upgrade to spiderman.
they chose right.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I almost wish the entire game took place inside ships because the lighting and asset quality in these sections is truly next gen. its one of those rare games that didnt downgrade interiors for the sake of the outdoor open world. This is like playing next gen The Order 1886.

UYc4w9f.gif

F1mxSck.gif

ProtoByte

I keep seeing these terrible starfield screens. especially from New Atlantis when my experience is anything but. Especially during these midday lighting scenes. Night time here looks flat, but midday is really great lighting all around. NPCs are ugly but they are designed to be fat and ugly because bethesda is trying to be woke, but other than that, new atlantis and most major cities dont look like the screens ive seen floating around. maybe the xsx version was severely downgraded compared to PC on high.

F6RK0JoXEAAnuV2

F6RK0JqXgAA5XRv

F6RTBK5WYAA6Zh7

F6RTf0QXkAApHBo

F6RTBK8XsAAvCPS
Dude, all of these images looks so flat. I don't know where the light source is, and despite all the metal and glass, there's no reflective surfaces.

I don't think Starfield looks last gen, especially not by Bethesda standards, but the image is not one that strikes as next gen or even picturesque.

SlimySnake

Dude, all of these images looks so flat. I don't know where the light source is, and despite all the metal and glass, there's no reflective surfaces.

I don't think Starfield looks last gen, especially not by Bethesda standards, but the image is not one that strikes as next gen or even picturesque.
The light bounce on the buildings is very impressive to me.

But at the very least, they dont look like the awful cutscenes chiefdada and others have been posting of atlantis.

ProtoByte

If Naughty Dog pulls an Insomniac and retardedly puts fucking Ray Tracing in a 60fps mode and their next game looks exactly like TLOU 2 again, I would legitimately quit this hobby of mine.

That would be the last straw. I'll be dammed if a bunch of Gen Z devs are going to stain my enjoyment of this shit any further.
I don't think that's gonna happen. Most games straight up turn off RT for 60fps mode, if there's at all.

I also hope/think that the presence of the Pro will provide plausible deniability for devs worried about default 60fps or RT expectations.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I don't think Starfield looks last gen, especially not by Bethesda standards,

You see, this is the type of mentality that is sending this thread to hell. Why should Bethesda be coddled with lower standards compared to a developer such as Insomniac? Don't punish the folks who have given you the most reasons to buy into new generation just because they decided to give a damn.

But at the very least, they dont look like the awful cutscenes chiefdada and others have been posting of atlantis.

It's the game's central hub for christ sake, they should have done everything in their power to at least have that area looking next gen AF leaving no doubts in any potential critic's mind.

ProtoByte

You see, this is the type of mentality that is sending this thread to hell. Why should Bethesda be coddled with lower standards compared to a developer such as Insomniac?
I did say "especially by". I don't think it's looks very impressive, but I can't see most "open world" games on last gen having that much texture quality.

Then again, I really don't give two shits about Starfield or Bethesda in general. I just don't think it looks bad enough to call it last gen.

SlimySnake

Protagonist of a single player cinematic game vs random quest giver in a wrpg. You would think there would be a generational leap given how some people are praising spiderman, and trashing starfield, but they roughly look on par.

EBLtXvC.jpg

The material and even shader quality in Starfield is actually very advanced. The problem is that the game has hundreds of these quest givers and they just couldnt put in the time and effort making them all look great, let alone animate them individually. Of course, Spiderman has like 6 characters total and while MJ got that next gen hair, miles' mom was shafted with a last gen haircut. (insomniac's tech director's words. not mine)

the skin shaders and material quality on his hat are somehow better than spiderman 2. They might not have been able to add HFW's style mocap and facial expressions, but im really glad to see them use higher quality models and hero lighting in these dialogue scenes.

F6RK0JrW4AAdOqm

SlimySnake

Just found some new footage in an IGN preview. I was once again underwhelmed so i went to my spiderman save to see if i could spot a difference, and to my surprise, it does look like an upgrade. maybe not a generational one, but the traffic density has definitely improved. Lighting has slightly improved but this might be a different time of day. Sun seems to be on the other side of town in Spiderman 2. Reflections look more pronounced.

GOVxvk1.gif

k1HPTdF.gif

Paging Self_Destructive Self_Destructive if he can make a more accurate comparison.

there is some more footage of spiderman swinging in this video starting from 1:28 to 2:09. looks like they are in Manhattan so a 1:1 comparison might be possible. i just dont know where to find these areas.

Timestamped:

Crayon

Some of the starfield screens look great to me. They are good technically, and great with the architecture and art direction. Go ahead and compare it to spider-man, but the only thing they have in common is that they are uneven, both with good and bad screens.

As for spider-man, this is a repeat of the first one for me. I initially thought the first one was inferior graphically to hzd. Horizon had some real punch you in the face graphics. Something about it. Spider-man didn't have that punch. But the closer I looked, especially when I finally got to see it running live in front of me, I saw the graphics are at least as good as horizon but in a different way. Aside from the character faces, though. idk what's going on there. They should call guerilla about that.

Spider-man running on a ps4 with the upscaling, motion blur, models, and more was all really good. With sm2, it doesn't get to compare to the original ps4 version because reasons. So it's compared to sm remastered on ps5. Compared to that, sm2 looks like it's had the improvements evenly spread through the image. It's still that style that doesn't punch you in the face like horizon or last of us, but when I look closely, it looks better than the excellent sm remastered in every way. The improvements are spread out and everything is just enough to notice. Compared to the first game, it's the type of generational increase I would expect since games are running at 60 now.

There are some spots where the improvements aren't very noticeable. Then there are shots like the swinging through the city posted above, that are showing a clear difference. I see some people don't think it is, but I think if they played 2 for awhile and went back to 1, they would see a big difference. The most noticeable is better shadows. Then after that, the lighting is better, then the materials. Everything else is also better though, even with the clearly increased world density.

But then you get that lizard fight. Now that might be the best shit I've ever seen. I like post affects and they are slathered all over there. Spider-man and lizard where set so convincingly into the scene. The lizard's teeth and gums is a halo grass moment. When he climbs up the wall and the sun is shining on him through the skylight it shows what a game like gow could do with this since it can set up all the scenes just right. And then it's all dunked in that awesome motion blur. If you freeze frame, you can see the blur all over and it actually doesn't look that good, like every blurred object is being masked out and it looks nasty. But when the game is running, you can't see that and it looks fantastic.

I think wolverine could look better, but it's going to be another small round of improvements. If you don't think sm2 -at it's best- looks like a generational improvement at this stage of diminishing returns, then you are going to be waiting a while for that game that finally does it. Maybe something will pop out of nowhere that blows our minds but I don't think there is a ton of gas beyond this in a ps5. Ay least without games going max 30fps.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
But then you get that lizard fight. Now that might be the best shit I've ever seen. I like post affects and they are slathered all over there. Spider-man and lizard where set so convincingly into the scene. The lizard's teeth and gums is a halo grass moment. When he climbs up the wall and the sun is shining on him through the skylight it shows what a game like gow could do with this since it can set up all the scenes just right. And then it's all dunked in that awesome motion blur. If you freeze frame, you can see the blur all over and it actually doesn't look that good, like every blurred object is being masked out and it looks nasty. But when the game is running, you can't see that and it looks fantastic.

This guy gets it.

I just posted the SM2 lizard gifs right before your post. Look how the explosion reflects off of the symbiote suit as he's swinging back on to Lizard. It's incredible.

Crayon

This guy gets it.

I just posted the SM2 lizard gifs right before your post. Look how the explosion reflects off of the symbiote suit as he's swinging back on to Lizard. It's incredible.

That's perfect because it shows that when you set this all up just right in a cut scene, you can really appreciate all the improvements. Just the sense of dimness underneath the tracks looks better than anything I've seen in sm remastered. That's all there in the game but you can move all around and find good and bad shots.

Robbinhood

Banned

F6RK0JoXEAAnuV2

F6RK0JqXgAA5XRv

F6RTBK5WYAA6Zh7

F6RTf0QXkAApHBo

F6RTBK8XsAAvCPS
Bruh these screens look like ass.

Look at objects closely. Look at the "grass", reminds me of GT3. Dem trees. The artists made them flat for artistic purposes, nah they just easier to render. Nice try.

Top Bottom