• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
UNLESS Naughty dog does the 60fps mode
ALL PS5 first party games will have 60, 40 and 30fps modes now. It's a large part of the reason you guys find the games so underwhelming visually. If they had all targeted 1440p/30fps and forgot about RT until next gen (or as a reason to sell the PS5 Pro) the leap in visuals would be much more pronounced this gen.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
ALL PS5 first party games will have 60, 40 and 30fps modes now. It's a large part of the reason you guys find the games so underwhelming visually. If they had all targeted 1440p/30fps and forgot about RT until next gen (or as a reason to sell the PS5 Pro) the leap in visuals would be much more pronounced this gen.
But Avatar is visually not underwhelming, has a 60 fps mode, has RT in both modes too.

The only difference is that Avatar's baseline target is 1440p 30 fps where as most sony games have been using native 4k 30 fps as their baseline target. hence the underwhelming graphics.

EDIT: Just got to the Avatar part in the DF video. It seems they are using FSR 55%-60% scale so its actually not even FSR Performance, more like FSR balanced so 1296p instead of 1080p. Half way between 1080p and 1440p internal resolution. Similar internal resolution to horizon's 60 fps mode.

I wonder if that means they have removed rt reflections and shadows from this mode to get it to run at that resolution. DF said that RTGI is in the 60 fps mode but the game no longer looks as impressive so settings have been dialed back. This is exactly what Sony studios should be doing.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
If you guys think ChiefDada is nuts for praising SPiderman and im nuts for praising Starfield, wait till you see John from digital foundry jizz all over Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth.
Just watched the trailer and it does look better than both those games though. Artistically, cohesively, in motion, as a whole. Maybe with the exception of the animations when on that segway thing...

I'd be super hyped if that was the first I'd seen of how they handle the remake and didn't hate how every modern FF plays, the trailer does a great job selling it, they've clearly done a ton of top work.

Just link the trailer, no reason to use weirdly altered pics or whatever. Not that that's necessarily how it will look in the end, I mean, it even looks fine for being in 1080p but it better be higher res, lol.

Lol @ your John fixation though, hanging from every word he may say in like 2 hours & his personal health, not a good look mate, just don't watch DF. I know I don't (usually, some retro stuff are fun).

Last edited:

SlimySnake

John's comments on Insomniac's productivity are also eye rolling.

He praises them for releasing three games so far this gen. Says they didnt reuse the city even though they literally did exactly that. They are clearly able to release 10-15 hour games every 2 years because they keep the scope small which is great, but they also arent pushing themselves in terms of tech debt. Bizarre for him to omit the fact that they are using the same character models, that they couldnt match their target render, and that the game has no destruction, cpu simulations or other next gen features. They actually were just discussing why the game doesnt have Realtime GI let alone RTGI. No wonder insomniac is so efficient, they dont do half the things expected from other devs.

shamoomoo

John's comments on Insomniac's productivity are also eye rolling.

He praises them for releasing three games so far this gen. Says they didnt reuse the city even though they literally did exactly that. They are clearly able to release 10-15 hour games every 2 years because they keep the scope small which is great, but they also arent pushing themselves in terms of tech debt. Bizarre for him to omit the fact that they are using the same character models, that they couldnt match their target render, and that the game has no destruction, cpu simulations or other next gen features. They actually were just discussing why the game doesnt have Realtime GI let alone RTGI. No wonder insomniac is so efficient, they dont do half the things expected from other devs.

At this point, you are just saying anything. Outside of scripted areas, what exactly would Spider-Man need destructive for? From the cartoons and movies,there weren't too many instances where destruction occurs randomly that wouldn't work in a set-piece,also, Spider-Man is using ray tracing for reflections.

The Matrix demo doesn't have random destruction outside of a set-piece moment .

Last edited:

Flabagast

This is probably the best acting I've ever seen in a video game.
JHL9Ksp.gif
Good acting if you are a teenager maybe.

It is way too overexagerated to be called good imho.

SlimySnake

At this point, you are just saying anything. Outside of scripted areas, what exactly would Spider-Man need destructive for? From the cartoons and movies,there weren't too many instances where destruction occurs randomly that wouldn't work in a set-piece,also, Spider-Man is using ray tracing for reflections.

The Matrix demo doesn't have random destruction outside of a set-piece moment .
I know. Why would a guy in a thread called next gen fidelity want destruction, physics, cpu simulations from his next gen games. Everyone in this thread will be on suicide watch the moment GTA6 is revealed with RDR2 quality destruction and physics. People want more. you are just in the wrong thread.

Insomniac has consistently pre baked in destruction in many setpieces including in this lizard chase scene where he blows a hole in a side of the building. They even create fake debris as he runs on the side of a glass panel building knowing full well people want some kind of destruction. they just didnt go far enough for a next gen game.

They had this fantastic canned destruction sequence i thought would become part of their new destruction system in a PS5 only game. But nope.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

shamoomoo

I know. Why would a guy in a thread called next gen fidelity want destruction, physics, cpu simulations from his next gen games. Everyone in this thread will be on suicide watch the moment GTA6 is revealed with RDR2 quality destruction and physics. People want more. you are just in the wrong thread.

Insomniac has consistently pre baked in destruction in many setpieces including in this lizard chase scene where he blows a hole in a side of the building. They even create fake debris as he runs on the side of a glass panel building knowing full well people want some kind of destruction. they just didnt go far enough for a next gen game.

They had this fantastic canned destruction sequence i thought would become part of their new destruction system in a PS5 only game. But nope.

Not every game is going to use what you may consider "next gen" features, also, what's the point of having a feature set that isn't meaningful to gameplay? That's like folks who want to enter every building in GTA.

If I'm not mistaken, Spiderman does have a crowd simulation, it isn't very dynamic.

Lethal01

lol exactly. Lethal was proven wrong literally a month after you started this thread. And hes still taking victory laps.

My bad, I genuinely keep forgetting people here really see the matrix awakens demo and claim that we reached CGI graphics

Hopefully, in 4 years I get a game that lets me ecstatically admit I'm wrong, but I feel like it will be a repeat of TLOU2 where everyone says it looks like real life while I'm waiting for next gen.

Sometime it's painful being this right and all the time, One day I hope I can learn what it feels like to miss, but I never do.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Not every game is going to use what you may consider "next gen" features, also, what's the point of having a feature set that isn't meaningful to gameplay? That's like folks who want to enter every building in GTA.

If I'm not mistaken, Spiderman does have a crowd simulation, it isn't very dynamic.
how can you say its not meaningful to gameplay when insomniac devs are going out of their way to created canned destruction?

clearly they believe destruction would be meaningful.

Man Of Steel had this fantastic destruction that really shows why superhero games need destruction. Without it you lose the sense of scale and consequences. Its why even the oldest Hulk games had destruction. Why Infamous and Prototype both have fancy destruction and physics that let you really fuck with NPCs.

superman-vs-zod-man-of-steel.gif

KYgF-m.gif

Lethal01

If you guys think ChiefDada is nuts for praising SPiderman and im nuts for praising Starfield, wait till you see John from digital foundry jizz all over Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth. Apparently that was not only the most next gen game at the show, but it is a generational leap over Final Fantasy 7. WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Are these guys delusional? I dont want to make fun of John too much because hes got depression and i dont want to be responsible for another meltdown on twitter, but can we seriously expect DF to critcize or judge these games when they look near identical to the first and yet are hailed as next gen?

I love how the first shot they show of the game as John begins his praise is this:

7SbHNRT.jpg

This fuckface. Him. They said it looks on par with FF7 CG.

Here is what CG looked like in FF7.

xYSaSMB.gif

Hey, now you know how I feel.
Something I have wanted to mention though, is that the characters pretty much all got upgrades and redesigns to their character models.

Last edited:

alloush

My bad, I genuinely keep forgetting people here really see the matrix awakens demo and claim that we reached CGI graphics

Sometime it's painful being this right and all the time, One day I hope I can learn what if feel like to miss, but I never do.
Damn, Lethal, you took me on a trip down memory lane with that old quote of yours. I clicked on it and the old memories flooded back. I wasn’t posting at the time but was already following this thread. Damn, my boi SlimySnake SlimySnake was getting destroyed on that page reactions wise.

Gotta give credit though, you’re one of OGs Lethal.

shamoomoo

how can you say its not meaningful to gameplay when insomniac devs are going out of their way to created canned destruction?

clearly they believe destruction would be meaningful.

Man Of Steel had this fantastic destruction that really shows why superhero games need destruction. Without it you lose the sense of scale and consequences. Its why even the oldest Hulk games had destruction. Why Infamous and Prototype both have fancy destruction and physics that let you really fuck with NPCs.

superman-vs-zod-man-of-steel.gif

KYgF-m.gif
Spiderman wants to save people with minimal amounts of destruction and set-piece destruction is sufficient. Now for a Hulk type game I would agree with you.

Lethal01

And I guess the villains want to save people, too?

You don't play as as villain you play as a hero.
They don't have a reason to make a dynamic destruction system to account for the unpredicatable actions of the player.
They do have a reason to make destruction happen as the result of villains but they know exactly what those villains will do do there is no reason to make it dynamic.

this is a spiderman game not a hulk game.

theclaw135

Banned

Sometime it's painful being this right and all the time, One day I hope I can learn what it feels like to miss, but I never do.

Not to insult pipe dream visuals. Though I wish we could dispense with the bullshots, console warring, proof-of-concept mods clearly not meant to render in realtime (in the near future), all the fluff.
Back to the jaw dropping pictures of what is possible TODAY, in games that are commercial products we can buy and play on hardware we actually own.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Damn, Lethal, you took me on a trip down memory lane with that old quote of yours. I clicked on it and the old memories flooded back. I wasn’t posting at the time but was already following this thread. Damn, my boi SlimySnake SlimySnake was getting destroyed on that page reactions wise.

Gotta give credit though, you’re one of OGs Lethal.
I made the Cardinal sin of criticizing the unevenness of a first party exclusive. Back then we thought games looked great 100% of the time and anyone calling out the bad parts deserved the death penalty.

Now are happy with 50-50.

alloush

I made the Cardinal sin of criticizing the unevenness of a first party exclusive. Back then we thought games looked great 100% of the time and anyone calling out the bad parts deserved the death penalty.

Now are happy with 50-50.
Yeah I remember those days, we used to think games looked great. I am glad with the progress we made in terms of not living in denial.

SlimySnake

imagine simping for this game while thinking that this shit is on any way on top of the list of "graphical fidelity" this gen.

Eh. There are some things this game does right. The things it doesnt do are no different from other games. Spiderman and horizon both have loading screens when you go into interiors or dungeons. Name me a shooter not named control and I will show you clips with no destruction whatsoever. throw a grenade in TLOU Part 1 and RE4 which actually have enhanced destruction and see what happens to furniture. It's actually the same as Starfield, certain items have physics to them, but most of the big objects like sofas and chairs dont. This has been my major gripe with shooters and why i want destruction in every game, and yet Starfield is apparently the only game being trashed for it.

What else? Ah yes, Falling animations being passed off as physics. Like come on. Its ragdoll. Starfield has a far more advanced physics system than RDR2. Anyone who has played the game for more than a few hours would know this because thats when you get the anti gravity ability. Clearly, not many people have actually played the game.

This bizarre fascination people have shooting NPCs is so ridiculous. This isnt cyberpunk. its not trying to be a GTA clone. these are hub worlds. you cant even kill anyone in these hub worlds in horizon or ghost of tsushima. this is not that game. I honestly dont remember anyone even trying to go on killing sprees in witcher 3's novagrad let alone using gtav to show off the NPC reactions. Did Mass Effect have this in their hub worlds? Is Mass Effect 2 trash now because starfield lets you shoot civilians and mass effect didnt?

And thats the thing, the games this is being compared to are action adventure titles. They are not doing half of the things Starfield is doing. How accurate would be a comparison where we show a dialogue sequence in GTAV and compare it with a quest dialogue sequence in Starfield with branching paths?

Would it be fair to compare RDR2 or Horizon interiors with Starfield? it will lose every time. Even the Burning Whores PS5 only DLC had some atrocious looking interiors. Poor lighting, even worse asset quality. Yet myself and others have consistently praised its Cauldron as some of the best graphics we've ever seen. Why cant we do that with Starfield which is far more consistent in its interiors? Hell, its interiors are better than most of the games released this year, if not all of them.

Why not compare Starfield's lighting to FF16? Star Wars? RE4? Hogwarts? RDR2? or any of the games that came out this year? Or even Horizon FW? Maybe because it will win despite all the downgrades. Or you know who cares about lighting? It only makes up 50% of the visuals.

These disingenuous comparisons are shit and can be used against any game. in five years, people will be using starfield to shit on the next game everyone loves to hate. just like how cyberpunk was the butt of the joke just three years ago and is being used to trash starfield now. Ironic.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

This is a really good comparison video of all spiderman 2 footage stacked up against Spiderman 1. He somehow managed to find almost all the areas in spiderman 1 and they show a pretty clear improvement in lighting, NPC count and traffic density. Mid day lighting got the biggest upgrade, but there is also some better indirect lighting and gi bounce lighting during dusk and dawn times that makes it look slightly better lit than the already stunning dusk time lighting in spiderman 1.

Hes very positive on it.

Just found some new footage in an IGN preview. I was once again underwhelmed so i went to my spiderman save to see if i could spot a difference, and to my surprise, it does look like an upgrade. maybe not a generational one, but the traffic density has definitely improved. Lighting has slightly improved but this might be a different time of day. Sun seems to be on the other side of town in Spiderman 2. Reflections look more pronounced.

GOVxvk1.gif

k1HPTdF.gif

Paging Self_Destructive Self_Destructive if he can make a more accurate comparison.

there is some more footage of spiderman swinging in this video starting from 1:28 to 2:09. looks like they are in Manhattan so a 1:1 comparison might be possible. i just dont know where to find these areas.

Timestamped:

Looks like you already found a better comparison than I could ever do haha.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Man this gen must be the most boring one in terms of graphical discussion, ever. We`ve been literally splitting hairs for a hundred pages here even sinking so incredibly low as to dragging cutscenes into the discussion for comparisons because there hasn`t been a "bam! Next gen" moment like we`ve had it in all gens prior.
To think that we`re 3 years into this console cycle and the most "next gen"-tech in actual games we`ve seen so far (on consoles) is the Nanite implementation in some AA games ....
Agree except one thing- the matrix demo feels like next gen moment, just those consoles(xsx/ps5, not mentioning pitifuly weak xss) cant run it at stable 30, need ps5pr0 and then devs actually will have room to spread their creative wings a bit w/o game having unstable framerate or switch resolutions.

PeteBull

Its not gonna add 10fps in average, it renders the RT faster and more accurate with small performance boost. But i don't expect a big boost in fps tbh.

RTX 4080 DLSS 3 (4K) average fps​

BenchmarkRTX 4080RTX 4090
Microsoft Flight Simulator6262
Microsoft Flight Simulator + DLSS 25858
Microsoft Flight Simulator + DLSS 3131156
Cyberpunk 20775874
Cyberpunk 2077 + DLSS 2 + RT5472
Cyberpunk 2077 + DLSS 2 + Psycho RT5067
Cyberpunk 2077 + DLSS 3 + RT82113
Cyberpunk 2077 + DLSS 3 + Psycho RT79107
Cyberpunk 2077 + DLSS 3 Perf + Psycho RT112141

sorry-mate-bubzkji.gif
U can clearly see cpu bottleneck in MS flight sim, rest are solid gainz, tldr if dlss doesnt give any/visible boost but frame gen does= cpu bottleneck 99,999% of the time, remember there was reason it didnt launch on last gen consoles and on current gen it barely holds 30.

PeteBull

Did u guys notice how DF suddenly flip flopped on their take about ps5pr0 from few weeks/months ago when they were bashing the idea and having all kinds of stupid takes?

Don't speak so soon friend. I'm pretty sure there was a prominent ND engineer defending Starfield 30fps mode saying it will be more and more common as the gen goes on

Plus there is no evidence of any mandate from Sony to my knowledge.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Its not gonna add 10fps in average, it renders the RT faster and more accurate with small performance boost. But i don't expect a big boost in fps tbh.

RTX 4080 DLSS 3 (4K) average fps​

BenchmarkRTX 4080RTX 4090
Microsoft Flight Simulator6262
Microsoft Flight Simulator + DLSS 25858
Microsoft Flight Simulator + DLSS 3131156
Cyberpunk 20775874
Cyberpunk 2077 + DLSS 2 + RT5472
Cyberpunk 2077 + DLSS 2 + Psycho RT5067
Cyberpunk 2077 + DLSS 3 + RT82113
Cyberpunk 2077 + DLSS 3 + Psycho RT79107
Cyberpunk 2077 + DLSS 3 Perf + Psycho RT112141

sorry-mate-bubzkji.gif
These test are still with rtx on dude...

Framegen and no rtx whatsoever should be doable.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
If you guys think ChiefDada is nuts for praising SPiderman and im nuts for praising Starfield, wait till you see John from digital foundry jizz all over Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth. Apparently that was not only the most next gen game at the show, but it is a generational leap over Final Fantasy 7. WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Are these guys delusional? I dont want to make fun of John too much because hes got depression and i dont want to be responsible for another meltdown on twitter, but can we seriously expect DF to critcize or judge these games when they look near identical to the first and yet are hailed as next gen?

I love how the first shot they show of the game as John begins his praise is this:

7SbHNRT.jpg

This fuckface. Him. They said it looks on par with FF7 CG.

Here is what CG looked like in FF7.

xYSaSMB.gif

Why do even you listen to these hacks? Who the fuck cares what the human frame counters think?

They showed their ass many times already, it's time to let it go buddy...

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member

imagine simping for this game while thinking that this shit is on any way on top of the list of "graphical fidelity" this gen.

Like i said, you can spawn 10.000 potatoes but destruction is ps1 level and the ia would have been considered archaic 15 years ago, let alone now.

Last edited:
Don't speak so soon friend. I'm pretty sure there was a prominent ND engineer defending Starfield 30fps mode saying it will be more and more common as the gen goes on

Plus there is no evidence of any mandate from Sony to my knowledge.
Source for ND engineer?

Also it was pretty much a given, almost every game released up until now is a basically a PS4 game with the visuals cranked to the max, and PS4 games had very little CPU overhead thanks to the shitty Jaguar CPU.

I suspect full next-gen games built from the ground up will push CPU usage even at 30 FPS, UE5 is a good example of this.

alloush

“It’s going to drop around the same time as the PS5 Pro in late 2024

This will make the PS5 Pro the most powerful console on the market”

Ahh let the console wars begin.

Last edited:

“It’s going to drop around the same time as the PS5 Pro in late 2024

This will make the PS5 Pro the most powerful console on the market”

Ahh let the console wars begin.

I think Keplar speculated that this project was binned, pun intended. Based on his knowledge of Xbox SoC leaks.

Regardless Microsoft were clear they weren't having a mid-gen refresh, so up to Sony to deliver the goodies.

Interestingly enough Microsoft had laid out some design goals in the leaked FTC documents for the next-gen console. The main features were ML enhanced upscaling software and hardware, and enhancements to dynamic global illumination and micro-polygon rendering systems. Which is what UE5 is already doing but I suspect Microsoft want 60 FPS targets.

alloush

I think Keplar speculated that this project was binned, pun intended. Based on his knowledge of Xbox SoC leaks.

Regardless Microsoft were clear they weren't having a mid-gen refresh, so up to Sony to deliver the goodies.

Interestingly enough Microsoft had laid out some design goals in the leaked FTC documents for the next-gen console. The main features were ML enhanced upscaling software and hardware, and enhancements to dynamic global illumination and micro-polygon rendering systems. Which is what UE5 is already doing but I suspect Microsoft want 60 FPS targets.
That's interesting. Yeah Phil vehemently rejected the idea of a mid-gen refresh no idea why though. It literally benefits everybody involved so why not? I have a feeling this is a Satya Nadella decision.

If I may ask, the things you said MS are working on for their next-gen console, are these things to be excited about? how would games benefit from these additions?

If I may ask, the things you said MS are working on for their next-gen console, are these things to be excited about? how would games benefit from these additions?

They mentioned they wanted to enhance dynamic GI, and micro-polygon rendering systems. The first one is basically Lumen, and the latter is Nanite. So they basically want to improve systems like Lumen and Nanite but across different engines.

I still need to read the documents but they mention AI/ML upscaling with frame interpolation which is basically DLSS3.

Hopefully by the end of this gen we're going to get some really good looking games, which approach photo-realism. It's fair to say the next Xbox/Playstation will be able to run these games at 60 FPS minimum with things like ray-tracing global illumination enabled.

HighPoly

Banned
This is a really good comparison video of all spiderman 2 footage stacked up against Spiderman 1. He somehow managed to find almost all the areas in spiderman 1 and they show a pretty clear improvement in lighting, NPC count and traffic density. Mid day lighting got the biggest upgrade, but there is also some better indirect lighting and gi bounce lighting during dusk and dawn times that makes it look slightly better lit than the already stunning dusk time lighting in spiderman 1.

Hes very positive on it.

this Spider Man 2 is just the Spider Man 1 with higher assets...
no poligonal improvements or anything, this generation is a mess

Hugare

You are really expecting next gen open world games to have a fully destructible New York city?

Family Feud Lol GIF by Steve Harvey

I have a bridge to sell you if you think that Rockstar will make GTA VI where you can demolish buildings. You wont even be able destruct a wall. Same way you cant do shit to houses in RDR 2.

This thread is funny. Some of you go places.

Last edited:

Alex11

Hes very positive on it.

Ok, the footage at ~2:50 it's looking really really good, I think this tod it's best suited for this game, graphically.

Top Bottom